PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard from One-Leg?

SavageLlama
08-30-2004, 14:56
Is he still on the trail or did he disappear in the 100-mile Wilderness?

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2004, 15:50
Still out there somewhere....I hope to catch up with him here in Monson sometime later this week.

SavageLlama
08-30-2004, 16:41
Good to know he's still going.

ferryman
08-30-2004, 17:24
Today at approximately 3:30pm, I received a report on my two way radio that Scott and his family had arrived at my base camp here in The Forks/Caratunk area. After completing the 2-4pm shift ferrying 4 hikers, I caught up with "One Leg" and he looks great! He is looking forward to getting caught up with his journal the next few days...that is, when he is not on the trail making tracks southbound. ferryman

TJ aka Teej
08-30-2004, 20:44
I caught up with "One Leg" and he looks great!
Excellent news, Steve!

Jack Tarlin
08-31-2004, 15:24
Saw Scott and his family briefly this morning near Caratunk; hope to meet up
up with them again sometime tomorrow, and hope to be hiking south late tomorrow or early Thursday. Scott and his family are being taken care of very well by Steve Longley, and everyone's doing great. Scott looks and sounds fine, if a little thin, and is looking forward very much to the Maine/New Hampshire stretch that lies ahead. Will keep you guys informed on how we're getting along.

Flash Hand
09-04-2004, 20:16
Can you bring the message for me to One Leg? If so, tell him to keep it going and keep in faith!

Thanks,

Flash Hand :jump

SavageLlama
09-09-2004, 11:10
Updates from One-Leg's journal..

September 8, 2004

Leisa, children, Baltimoe Jack, and myself are back at Rivers & Trails (Steve Longely's place) for a few days until severe weather system blows over. We have completed the Bigelows & the mountain just south of the Bigelows & Stratton, Me. Had Leisa pick us up at the Caribou Pond Road and bring us back to Steve's place due to weather. While it isn't currently bad, I can't commit myself to a 3 day hike with no emergency out knowing that a bad system is expected for tonight, tomorrow, and into Friday. On the back side of this is the mess from down south moving into the northern states next week. The terrain has been good, but I've been unable to make many miles due to the numerous obstacles in my path. In some places, I am not even able to go at a 1-mph pace. It's time consuming, but do-able. However, time isn't my friend right now. Fall weather has entered this region, and winter conditions aren't far behind. Night-time temps dip into the high 30's/low 40's, with day-time temps in the 50's & 60's.

-Scott

September 2, 2004

Just a note to update you as to the goings on with the hike. Tom Gerhardt, my son Caleb, and I hiked a small 6 mile stretch yesterday. Last night, Baltimore Jack showed up to hike south with me until we reach the Hanover, NH area. Today, we slacked a 8 mile stretch that was pretty decent hiking. Steve Longely put us out at the trailhead at the logging road just south of the river. Jack, Tyler, and I hiked to the river. We crossed the river, so I have "officially" crossed the Kennebec. Tomorrow, we're going to slack a 12 mile section just south of where we hiked today. After that, we're on the trail for several days at a time without slacking. (For those of you wondering what 'slacking' means, it means to hike a section without full hiking packs. Purists refer to it as dayhiking or slackpacking. Since I'm not a purist, I could care less whether I hike a section with or without a pack, just as long as I hike it.) This weekend, Jack, Tyler, and I will be hiking in the Bigelows (the 2nd largest/highest mountain in Maine), which is an especially rugged section of the trail leading to the Mahoosic Arm & Notch section. If you're out & about on the trail, feel free to stop us to say hello.

Since I am without phone service while in this remote area, I'd like to ask Julie Milliken to please email me her snail mail address. I have a letter written and ready to mail for Lane, but don't have an address where to send it to.

Take care & Be God's,
Scott 'One-Leg' Rogers

Lone Wolf
10-01-2004, 12:39
Where is One Leg now?

Jack Tarlin
10-01-2004, 13:00
As far as I know, somewhere south of Moosilauke, or maybe he's in Vermont.
More details can be found on his website or his trailjournals site.

LionKing
10-01-2004, 13:03
Well Jack, he hasnt been past Glencliff since you left...so who knows?

The Other southbounders who came through the whites havent seen him either.

Flash Hand
10-02-2004, 18:19
Well Jack, he hasnt been past Glencliff since you left...so who knows?

The Other southbounders who came through the whites havent seen him either.

Hope hes not mistaken for Long Trail as AT.... (evil snickering)

Flash Hand :jump

celt
10-02-2004, 20:16
I met One-Leg at the grocery store in Lincoln NH on 9/27. He said he'd hiked Moosilauke that day.

Magic City
10-02-2004, 21:22
I met his wife and kids when there were in Millinocket, I think it was sometime in August. They attended services in our church, and joined us for a picnic afterward.

Fronteirman
10-04-2004, 13:35
Was wondering what the total cost of one-leg's hike has been? What are the usual charges for rescues he has received? I heard he was airlifted from Big K...:banana

Jack Tarlin
10-04-2004, 15:09
If you're that curious about the cost and expense of his trip (tho I can't for the life of me figure out why you care), then all you need do is contact Scott himself.

You also implied that he'd been "resued" several times on the Trail; I know of only the Katahdin episode; the decision on whether or not to charge him for this was made by the very capable Director of the Park, Buzz Caverly. If you wish to question Caverly about this, you can reach him at [email protected]

I hiked for several weeks with Scott. He's perfectly capable of taking care of himself out there; I'm convinced the Katahdin episode was an abberation. To imply that he's in constant need of rescue and assistance is simply untrue; his critics REALLy need to give this an issue a rest. It's October. It's getting cold out. 99% of this year's hikers are back home getting fat. So are all of Scott's critics. But he's still out there. Enough said.

Tramper Al
10-04-2004, 15:55
I'm pretty sure it is One-Leg's birthday today. I for one would like to wish him the best of good fortune as he continues to pursue his goals on and off the trail.

SalParadise
10-04-2004, 16:05
Scott's website, www.onelegwonder.com, which includes his journal, thoroughly details the many many assistance-free miles that he has hiked so far. Scott has helped out other hikers, including myself, so many more times than anyone has ever needed to help him.

What's funny is when he's wearing shorts, everyone approaches him asking 'How can you do it?' and 'Do you need any help?', but when he's wearing long pants, nobody says a thing.

Youngblood
10-04-2004, 20:15
I'm pretty sure it is One-Leg's birthday today. I for one would like to wish him the best of good fortune as he continues to pursue his goals on and off the trail.

Me too! Happy Birthday Scott! ... I am proud to have meet you and the best of luck to you.

Youngblood

A-Train
10-04-2004, 20:51
Happy Birthday One-Leg! Keep truckin as we're all behind you. You've got all the hardest parts of the trail behind you. It was a pleasure talking to you at the WhiteBlaze Get Together

One Leg
10-06-2004, 10:15
Thanks for the b-day greets. I'm a year older and still on the trail. Someone mentioned there being no "One Leg sightings" recently, and I'm not sure why, as I've ran into several hikers. Granted, I'm wearing long pants, have a winter cap that also covers my face, generally don't mutter much more than a generic greeting, and rarely inform others of who I am....The anonymity is rather nice, and I'm actually enjoying my hike.

I'll be at the Gathering on Saturday, along with "The Crew", then will head back to Mass. to complete that state before proceeding south. "The Crew" will head home, as the crew chief needs to see the doctor regarding prenatal care. They will come to collect my pack and I next month, when I reach Harpers Ferry.

This serves as my update, and I likely won't be heard from again until I complete the hike next month. Thanks to all of you who've wished me well, sent emails and instant messages of encouragement.

Take care,

One Leg