PDA

View Full Version : PENTAX - Optio 12.1-Digital Camera

GeneralLee10
12-08-2009, 17:22
Do any of you have this camera and if so what are your thoughts on it?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PENTAX+-+Optio+12.1-Megapixel+Zoom+Digital+Camera+-+Azure+Blue/9481679.p?id=1218112362822&skuId=9481679#tabbed-customerreviews

I like the 5x zoom and some other features that the Olympus does not have. I just wanted to here what some fellow hikers had to say about this cam. :-?

Thank you for the input

Big Dawg
12-08-2009, 17:31
I have the Pentax Optio W20 (digital/waterproof). I LOVE my camera. Pentax has a very user friendly system which makes choosing the many options a breeze. I speak on the 12.1, but would say overall Pentax is a feature-full camera w/ great quality!

Big Dawg
12-08-2009, 17:32
I speak on the 12.1,

I can't speak on the 12.1

rjridgely
12-08-2009, 17:57
here is where I just bought mine, $199 + about $10 s/h:

http://www.digitalhawks.com/peopw812me5x.html

GeneralLee10
12-08-2009, 18:48
Well..., I bought it and it should be here tomorrow. I found it at amazon for $198 and free shipping(I did not get). I will give a report on it when I come back from the Family Cruise WOOHOO!! Bahamas here I come:sun

Kerosene
12-08-2009, 19:10
I have the Pentax Optio W20 (digital/waterproof).That's the model I want.

I've been carrying the Pentax 5Si for 5 years and have taken some great pictures with it, but it's starting to show its age. I'd prefer the security of a waterproof camera, but I've never had a problem keeping mine sufficiently dry.

Big Dawg
12-09-2009, 10:30
That's the model I want.

I've been carrying the Pentax 5Si for 5 years and have taken some great pictures with it, but it's starting to show its age. I'd prefer the security of a waterproof camera, but I've never had a problem keeping mine sufficiently dry.

I got waterproof b/c I felt like I HAD to have it for backpacking. For some reason I still take great care to keep it dry, I've never used it in the rain, & even have a mini rain cover for the camera holder lashed to my shoulder strap.:o

Graywolf
01-10-2010, 13:05
I have been using Kodax C813 with no problem..But it too is showing it's age..Only less than a year old, but it has gotten beat up being outside all the time..

I checked out the 12.1 andlooks like a good camera..

features I like for backpacking is :

Waterproof
Cold proof
Shock proof
Vid capeabilities
Audio...

But...Wait a minute..What is this....No Smile Mode??...Well, we can't have that now...I like all my birds and trees to be smiling...:D

Over all, looks like a good camera..

Graywolf

bullseye
01-10-2010, 13:33
I carried the Optio 33WR for years (until I jammed the memory card in the wrong way while in a hurry and ruined the card slot:(). If the 12.1 is anything at all like that one, you'll be very happy.

Sassafras Lass
08-30-2010, 11:53
I have a professional Pentax film SLR that I've always been very happy with. Pentax isn't the first thing you think of when you hear the words "quality camera" but I think that is more due to their spending money on producing good products instead of advertising the heck out of them.

I seriously considered the Optio W90 for my thruhike, but it doesn't take easily sourced AA batteries and it was out of my price range - I really couldn't justify more than $200 on a camera when I already have film SLRs and a Nikon P90 point n' shoot.

Looks like it shoots fairly wide at 28mm; aperature is about average at 3.5 - 5.5. The anti-reflective coating on the LCD screen is nice and video is great too. Like all point n' shoots, images show noticeable noise at ISO 400 and above.

Of course the best thing is that it's waterproof, freezeproof, and shockproof to a certain degree, which is synonymous with hiking.

I've always liked PhotographyBlog's reviews: http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews/pentax_optio_w90_review/

Old Hiker
08-30-2010, 13:08
Well..., I bought it and it should be here tomorrow. I found it at amazon for $198 and free shipping(I did not get). I will give a report on it when I come back from the Family Cruise WOOHOO!! Bahamas here I come:sun

If you are hiking, I hope it's waterproof! ;)