PDA

View Full Version : The Acorn Stove

zelph
12-08-2009, 17:57
You've gotta see this innovative stove design by Just Tinkering

All you canister folks need not look at this one.

"The Acorn Stove" (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3638&p=25246#p25246)

Chenango
12-08-2009, 18:33
You've gotta see this innovative stove design by Just Tinkering

All you canister folks need not look at this one.

"The Acorn Stove" (http://www.bplite.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=3638&p=25246#p25246)

Nice. I have to try this one.

zelph
12-10-2009, 20:20
JT posted another video showing how to make it. Take a look. Easy to make...:)

DragonStar
12-21-2009, 21:53
What are the benefits of this stove over a supercat?

zelph
12-22-2009, 23:44
What are the benefits of this stove over a supercat?

I think it might be a little more conservative on fuel. The supercat was my inspiration stove:) one piece and no primer pan or wick necessary:banana

DragonStar
12-23-2009, 10:32
So this one sips less fuel and is a little sturdier for a modest weight increase, but otherwise functions about the same? {looks around} I have some Iron City beer bottles laying around....

DragonStar
12-23-2009, 10:46
oh, it requires a pot stand. I might be sticking with the supercat cause that's one thing I dig about it.

Wise Old Owl
12-23-2009, 11:13
6 0z bottle is remarkably close to the last one I made. Only the tapered top is missing... I didn't have that. I am on the fence about the need for jets as the last one was vertical fiberglass with a mesh top and I don't see a difference in the burn times. Remember the spill proof one you made Zelph?

zelph
12-23-2009, 17:23
6 0z bottle is remarkably close to the last one I made. Only the tapered top is missing... I didn't have that. I am on the fence about the need for jets as the last one was vertical fiberglass with a mesh top and I don't see a difference in the burn times. Remember the spill proof one you made Zelph?

Back in 2006 I made this one and mentioned how to make it spill proof.

"Bud Bottle" stove Wick Style 07-08-2006, 13:18 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=16039&highlight=snapple)

The "Ring Of Fire" was another one that was spill proof up to 20ml of fuel.

The Super Stove will absorb and hold 1/2 ounce. Makes for a safe stove.

Wise Old Owl
12-24-2009, 12:04
Well Zelph, on that note which stove is more thermally efficient? One that has little jets like we are talking about or one that has a wide open cup and verticle fiberglass strands like the starlyte? By the way the starlyte pot stand "appears" to be too short. Mines a little higher.

Bags4266
12-24-2009, 14:42
Zelp, the acorn stove I made thanks to you, I was able to get 3 cups to near boil 205* on 1/2 oz of fuel. No wind, 60* temps but I was amazed. I raised the inner wall 3/4 of an inch higher so I wouldn't have the need of a pot stand. I works great with my Snow Peak 700.

zelph
12-25-2009, 18:45
Zelp, the acorn stove I made thanks to you, I was able to get 3 cups to near boil 205* on 1/2 oz of fuel. No wind, 60* temps but I was amazed. I raised the inner wall 3/4 of an inch higher so I wouldn't have the need of a pot stand. I works great with my Snow Peak 700.

When I first saw your design I knew straight away it was a winner design. Nice work, excellent results!!!!!:)

DragonStar
12-28-2009, 22:16
I gave this one a try, but before the story let me dislcaim that I did not follow the directions and did everything wrong. :O

I was on my way to my mother in law's and threw some aluminum screen and an Iron City beer can (about the same as a bud light) into the trunk.

I used a hacksaw and ungently hacked off the top (well, took it out of the trunk first of course), then the top section, then the bottom section.

Did not flatten the bottom. Measured nothing.

I followed Zelph's suggestion and made the mesh tall enough to reach into the alcohol pool at the bottom. I also left the top part longer (approx .5") so that I'd have an integrated pot stand.

I used a board and hammer to pound the top half into the bottom half (pretty easy with this bottle as the creator indicated) and left approx .25" of screening above the rim.

The fuel and 2 cups water were 67 degrees. Ambient temp was 38.

I used 20ml of 200 proof lab-grade ethanol and lit it. the inner cup lit immediately but I could not get the "wick" to light. Every time I put my snow peak on top the flame went out.

So I pot in another 15 ml of alcohol, lit the center, then waited. ~1 minute later, a ring of flames came up from the wick. I put the snow peak on and was treated to a nice, even, blue ring.

It burned for approx seven minutes. I checked the water by opening the lid a couple of times. I used no windscreen and there was a decent breeze which whipped the flames around but did not extinguish the flame.

The seven minute burn was not enough to boil the water, just tiny simmer bubbles.

I bet if I followed the directions, measured, made even cuts and stuff, this would be a sweet stove. the flame was a nice pattern and stood up well to wind.

zelph
12-29-2009, 11:18
DragonStar, you ventured:)

Try cutting 2 slots in your pot support. Make them 1/4" wide and extend them down to the flame ring surface. Locate them opposite of each other. These slots will give the gas coming up the double wall easy access to the flames in the center of the stove and ignite faster. If there is no difference in ignition time, make them 1/2" wide:)

What did your inlaws have to say about your DIY project while visiting them:D

DragonStar
12-29-2009, 22:01
This is not the first time I've made an alcohol stove while visiting, and they are typically interested. Next year I told them they are all getting alcohol stoves in their stockings and the reaction was relatively positive. :)

Will cut some notches and try that out.

zelph
12-30-2009, 11:12
This is not the first time I've made an alcohol stove while visiting, and they are typically interested. Next year I told them they are all getting alcohol stoves in their stockings and the reaction was relatively positive. :)

Will cut some notches and try that out.

That's what we like to hear, more stove making. I have a stove in the makings that burns Iso91 nice and clean. Burns with a cool looking vortex swirl, should have a video made by end of week.

The_Saint
12-31-2009, 13:04
Very Cool!

zelph
01-04-2010, 14:33
That's what we like to hear, more stove making. I have a stove in the makings that burns Iso91 nice and clean. Burns with a cool looking vortex swirl, should have a video made by end of week.

It burns iso91clean, might even burn white gas or red bottle HEET:-? Having fun with this one in short bursts. too darn cold in the garage.

The Vortex Maximus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=di_dAq4FaWw)