PDA

View Full Version : Some more FAQ's...sowwy

slamajama
08-30-2004, 15:19
:confused: Well,...
I would like to begin a journey to the A.T, and I have been reading various posts on the matters of cost, planning, food, lodging, gear, etc. and i'm a bit overwelmed and could use a "readers digest" version (lol) of all these subjects. Is there such a publication?

MOWGLI
08-30-2004, 15:42
:confused: Well,...
I would like to begin a journey to the A.T, and I have been reading various posts on the matters of cost, planning, food, lodging, gear, etc. and i'm a bit overwelmed and could use a "readers digest" version (lol) of all these subjects. Is there such a publication?

Brooklyn! There is really no definitive publication that condenses everything nicely. At least that I am aware of. Anyway, there are too many different ways to do a long distance hike.

This site has a very robust search engine. I suggest you use it to search the topics that you would like to find out about. Ask questions when you need clarification. Send Private Messages or emails to those people who seem to embody what you are trying to accomplish.

Remember, there is alot of advice available out there. Not all of it is good. Try and cull information from folks who have accomplished what you are seeking to do, instead of those who are in the same boat as you. I bet that A-Train would be willing to help a fellow New Yorker!

I hope that helps.

Little Bear
GA-ME 2000

Jack Tarlin
08-30-2004, 15:49
At present, there is no single comprehensive work in print that deals with plannning and preparing for an A.T. thru-hike.

Within a year, there will be.

For the moment, your best resources are on the Internet. I'd check out www.atconf.org and www.aldha.org for good general background information on thru-hiking. www.trailjournals.com has a good deal of useful info, as well as many trip journals and diaries.

Through the ATC, you can get a copy of Christopher Whalen's short book "Appalachian Trail Workbook for Planning Thru-Hikes" or you might find a copy of Dan Bruce's Thru-hiker's Planning Guide, which is similar. Regrettably, both works are short, incomplete and somewhat out-dated or out of touch, but right now, that's about the best that's out there. You might find another work by one Jan Curran, which is called "The A.T, How to Plan for it and Hike It" or something like that. This book is essentially worthless.

Right now, your best resources for planning and preparing an A.T. thru-hike are on the Internet, with this website, Whiteblaze, most likely being your best information source, so if you have specific questions, let 'em fly; you'll discover that there are sorts of folks here with all sorts of varied experience; there are some very knowledgable A.T. folks here who visit here precisely to help out folks like you, and answer your questions and problems, so I hope you come here often.

Best of luck with your planning.

slamajama
08-30-2004, 16:05
Thank you Jack for your reply, I can't ty enough.

2XL
08-30-2004, 16:27
:welcome to the AT community. I'm sure you will get plenty of help from this site.
So, tell us what kind of experience you have, so we know what we need to start with. ie,shelters,packs,etc.

Grampie
08-31-2004, 10:05
Hi Slamajama,

When I was getting ready to do my thru in 2000 I purchased "Wingfoot's" book, The Thru-hikers Planning Guide. It provided me with most of the info required to do a thru-hike.
As Baltamore Jack said," most of the required info can be found on various hiker web sights."

tlbj6142
08-31-2004, 10:58
I think this method might work well...

Don't worry about the "thru-hike" thing at first. Focus on a 3 night 3-season (3-season means "everything but winter", or in my world lows above 25F and little or now snow) backpacking trip.
Read various backpacking sites on what you should take for such a trip.
BEFORE YOU BUY A SINGLE ITEM POST THE LIST ON THIS BOARD.
We'll help you make the list a bit shorter and lighter.
Go on a 2-3 day trip. 8-10 miles per day.
When you return you'll have lots of questions, post them here. We'll answer them. Sometimes folks (like LW:D ) will give you smartass answers, don't get worked up. They are just being funny.
Repeat 3-6 a couple of times.
Now you can start thinking about thru-hike specific issues. Re-supply issues, trailhead shuttles, favorite hostels, best burito, etc.
Unless you have a real need for specialized treatment (special diet, medication, etc.) DO NOT PLAN MORE THAN THE FIRST 2-3 WEEKS OF YOUR THRU-HIKE. Everything will change and your plans will need to be adjusted anyway. You'll learn a lot from others on the trail and on your own.
Buy a copy of the 200x Data book and the Thru-Hiker's Companion the spring before you leave. Might want buy two copies and leave a set at home with your off-trail helper if one exists.
Have Fun. Go slow for a couple of weeks.

TankHiker
08-31-2004, 11:30
Slama-

I found the workbook extremely helpful. I don't completely agree with everything in it, but it is a very good staring place. It provides good checklists to organize yourself, and reminds you of things may not have even thought about. It also answers a lot of questions when you have no idea what to expect. Planning a thru-hike can be overwhelming, but this book breaks it down nicely.

It's only $5, and you can buy it on the ATC website:
http://www.atctrailstore.org/catalog/iteminfo.cfm?itemid=80&compid=1

-Tank

slamajama
08-31-2004, 12:40
First,
you all are as advertised, very willing to share your knowledge and experiences, and I thank you all for your recent replys and future ones. I have noticed that there are many alt. travel arrangements posted for say points (a-b), are there points on the AT that you cannot hike and need transportation to next location of the trail? I see already that there is a ferry you would need to take to Katahdin ME?
slamajama

tlbj6142
08-31-2004, 13:13
The "ferry" is it. Though it is really a canoe. So, don't go thinkin' you'll be crossing the trail with a UPS truck on board.

Blue Jay
08-31-2004, 13:16
I'd love to see a UPS guy with a package crossing with Steve.

tlbj6142
08-31-2004, 13:18
That would make for a great photo.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2004, 13:21
You don't have to use the canoe "ferry". You may ford the river in the early morning before it rises.

Tramper Al
08-31-2004, 13:38
Remember, there is alot of advice available out there. Not all of it is good.

You don't have to use the canoe "ferry". You may ford the river in the early morning before it rises.

Very nice, you want to see if you can get the new guy to drown himself?

Slamajama, judge the 'advice' you get with care. You will quickly learn who is not very helpful.

tlbj6142
08-31-2004, 13:41
When you return you'll have lots of questions, post them here. We'll answer them. Sometimes folks (like LW:D ) will give you smartass answers, don't get worked up. They are just being funny.I tried to warn him about LW.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2004, 13:44
For crissakes Al he has a better chance drowning if he falls out of the canoe. Obviously you've never forded the Kennebec .

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 13:45
Very nice, you want to see if you can get the new guy to drown himself?

Slamajama, judge the 'advice' you get with care. You will quickly learn who is not very helpful.

Like I said Tramper Al, but in this case, I wouldn't worry about our friend Slamajama. Being from Brooklyn, his self preservation instincts are probably pretty highly evolved. Thats an unavoidable byproduct of being from NYC.

Jersey Bob
08-31-2004, 13:55
at least 10 characters

Blue Jay
08-31-2004, 14:16
More New Yorkers die from drowning on Jersey beaches than die from being shot in NYC.

Thats because they try to ford the Hudson.

slamajama
08-31-2004, 14:18
LOL !!....to all you yuckin it up....and ty L.B for your confidence,and besides, wats "ford"ing.

slamajama
08-31-2004, 14:20
LOL !!....to all you yuckin it up....and ty L.B for your confidence,and besides, wats "ford"ing.
o btw....do i have to prepare for areas where i need alt. transport? I've seen many maps...but they seem vague.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2004, 14:21
Fording is wading or walking across.

Blue Jay
08-31-2004, 14:39
When you're under your bridge and the billy goats cross the stream without using your bridge, that's fording. :banana

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 14:54
More New Yorkers die from drowning on Jersey beaches than die from being shot in NYC.

I think its the dead rats and the syringes on the beach that actually kill the bathers. :D

Just kidding. I have spent hundreds of hours fishing in Raritan Bay out of Keyport, NJ. I like the Joisy Shore as much as the next person. I do prefer the Rhode Island and Suffolk County beaches however.

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 14:56
o btw....do i have to prepare for areas where i need alt. transport? I've seen many maps...but they seem vague.

Yup, to get down to the snack bar at Stratton Mountain ski resort in Vermont, you'll want to take the gondola. :banana They have great milkshakes there!

Other than that and the ferry, you're pretty much hoofing it the entire 2170+ miles.

Lone Wolf
08-31-2004, 15:05
If you blue-blaze take the chair lift up Wildcat Mtn. in NH.

Jersey Bob
08-31-2004, 15:14
at least 10 characters

MOWGLI
08-31-2004, 15:33
Well at least the rats are dead.:p

Re: the fishing - no kidding! I fish off the Belford/Port Monmouth pier just about every other week. I'm usually down there with my golden retreiver at the end of the day after everyone clears off the beach.

Catch any big stripers (aka Moby Linesiders) lately? How are the Fluke and the Weaks running this year? I sure miss the beach!

Jersey Bob
08-31-2004, 15:54
at least 10 characters