PDA

View Full Version : Caesar Brook Campsite

XCskiNYC
12-09-2009, 00:30
The campsite is on a pretty good sized flat spot at the bottom of the valley through which runs the eponymous Caesar Brook. This is the source of water for the site.

The site is on the south side of the brook. On the north side the vestigal tracks of Caesar Road run east and hit Route 7 in about a half a mile. I saw a couple of people walking their dogs on this track. Several miles to the west the same overgrown track eventually runs into a paved road and this reaches Sharon, CT.

Just past the eastern edge of the site a sign guides you down a very short walk to an unenclosed privy.

Fires are, of course, forbidden on the AT in CT but, probably because of the stone fence running along the eastern edge of the site, there were ample rocks for forming a fire circle and one had obviously been set up very recently.

You can hear the brook running at night and this makes the spot a pleasant place to sleep.

linus72
02-12-2015, 13:23
also enjoyed this spot, but can't wait till all those roofless privies are replaced with full ones.

Sarcasm the elf
02-12-2015, 19:30
also enjoyed this spot, but can't wait till all those roofless privies are replaced with full ones.

Those no-walled privies are a trip. Give it time and You'll learn to love the "Kings throne"

Traveler
02-13-2015, 08:08
They sure beat the privies that have completed the top, but not the bottom :-?

Havana
02-13-2015, 08:42
I don't mind them as long as they have a good view.

Just Tom
02-13-2015, 10:09
My 11 year old son actually prefers them because the spiders in most of the smaller (non-mouldering) privies freak him out. Hasn't happened to me yet, but I imagine using one in the rain is less than fun.

liptackj
02-16-2015, 16:14
The privies you refer to are called chums. They are used in CT at the less used camp areas. As mentioned above, they are more likely to be spider free and have at least a view of the woods,. There is no plan to replace them with the big moldering privies that can be found at the more heavily used camp sites.
Jim Liptack
CT-AMC Overseer of Trails

pnyberg
05-19-2015, 16:36
I stopped in for a visit on May 7, during a Kent to Salisbury section hike. I found nothing that seemed amiss.

A shot a quick video of the site:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giXzQiE0rl8

--Peter