PDA

View Full Version : Snow on the trail in Mass

Bobbo
12-09-2009, 09:33
Anyone from from Western Mass or anyone who has recently visited the trail - I mean the last day or two - Can you tell me the current AT trail conditions. I'm thinking of heading out there this weekend to cover a good sized stretch in a day. I want to know how realistic this idea is. I'm trying to get ready for some long trail runs in the early spring. Gotta keep in shape!

Any snow?

warraghiyagey
12-09-2009, 09:36
A good look at about any weather stastion in the country will give you your answer. . . they're in the middle of a major snow storm right now. . . as is a large portion of the entire country. . .

Yukon
12-09-2009, 09:44
A good look at about any weather stastion in the country will give you your answer. . . they're in the middle of a major snow storm right now. . . as is a large portion of the entire country. . .

Yeah and I'm loving it! Time for some snowboarding this weekend!! :)

kristino
12-09-2009, 11:06
Hi, I'm 4 miles south of the MA border(south of Springfield), 6 1/2 inches of snow and freezing rain falling as I type!

warraghiyagey
12-09-2009, 11:11
Hi, I'm 4 miles south of the MA border(south of Springfield), 6 1/2 inches of snow and freezing rain falling as I type!
:welcome:welcome

mweinstone
12-09-2009, 11:13
hi, im hundreds of miles south and all clear of snow. hope this helps!

warraghiyagey
12-09-2009, 11:15
You're a good man matty. . . :sun:D

Bobbo
12-09-2009, 14:14

Thanks for your comment - but I was looking for someone who has actually been on the trail recently in this area. I have been watching the weather, but I was looking for actual trail conditons. Someone with first hand information. snow to rain. How much snow. frozen vs muddy. That kind of information.

Bobbo
12-09-2009, 14:15
hi, im hundreds of miles south and all clear of snow. hope this helps!

perfect.........thanks.........see ya Saturday

Blissful
12-09-2009, 14:39
Thanks for your comment - but I was looking for someone who has actually been on the trail recently in this area. I have been watching the weather, but I was looking for actual trail conditons. Someone with first hand information. snow to rain. How much snow. frozen vs muddy. That kind of information.

Maybe better to inquire once the storm is over - ? as the conditons will obviously change from day to day.

warraghiyagey
12-09-2009, 15:08
Maybe better to inquire once the storm is over - ? as the conditons will obviously change from day to day.
Good point. . . :sun

burger
12-09-2009, 16:38
No need to inquire...there must be a ton of snow on the AT in MA. We just got about 6" of snow here, an hour east of the AT. They always get more snow in the Berkshires than we do in the Valley, so you can rest assured they'll be a bunch of snow on the trail.

I'm sure the trail will be nice and clear come April or so.

Bobbo
12-09-2009, 17:01
thanks
nothing wrong with snow. I look forward to this time of year when it comes to running and hiking on the trails. Just a little hard when it's all ice or really slushy and muddy.

burger
12-09-2009, 17:37
Actually, I'd expect ice. After last night's snow, it's been raining all day here (again it might be colder in the Berkshires, but not much). So I expect everything to freeze solid overnight.

Snowleopard
12-09-2009, 17:52
Not much rain here in Central Mass. near the NH border and 1300' ASL, but probably enough that the snow will be crunchy in the morning. Ice is likely in places on the MA AT, from some snow melt during the day freezing at night and wet spots in the trail.

Migrating Bird
12-09-2009, 19:10
I'm in W. Stockbridge Ma, which is at 925'. We got about 7" today and 5" last weekend so it is almost snowshoe time. We got very little rain today but it did get above freezing today so the snow is wet and heavy. Coldest weather of the season expected this weekend with lows in the teens each night. The ground is not frozen so the snow tended to melt from the underside making it very slick walking.

canoehead
12-09-2009, 20:32
I got 16" of the heavy white stuff today in Chesterfield, MA. 1,300',
BC skiing this morning was great. Migrating Bird got it right....gonna get cold.

No bugs no bears..Be prepared and enjoy

XCskiNYC
12-11-2009, 22:37
Most of these xc areas, such as Notchview, are very close to the MA AT.

http://www.stumpsprouts.com/xcskimass/conditions.php