PDA

View Full Version : Food on the A.T...

slamajama
08-30-2004, 15:39
I'm courious, besides stores,can food be secured on trail, ie; fishing?

Lone Wolf
08-30-2004, 15:44
Fishing spots ar few and far between. Plus you'll need a license for each state you fish in. Plenty of berries when in season.

chris
08-30-2004, 16:04
Some mushrooms can be had in the spring time if you know what to look for. Ramps are fairly common in the South. There are a few different kinds of greens that you can pick as well.

Peaks
08-30-2004, 16:36
Any edibles along the trail supplement, not suplant your main sources of food. I wouldn't count on gathering berries for any substantial nutrition.

Resupply comes mainly from stores along the way, and mail-drops.

cshir003
10-13-2004, 10:31
not sure about the other states, but wild blueberries are usually abundant in the virginias. I think they're ripe around early summer. they're yummy, but don't expect plump juicy berries. look for low lying shrubs that resemble scrubby mountain laurel with little blue berries (a bit bigger than a bb). you can get about a handfull at a time. I mix em with trail mix or cereal. happy foraging!!

Crash! Bang!
10-13-2004, 10:47
stick to mail drops and town re-supplies for everything you need. go ahead and pick, fish, or hunt for supplemental nutrition, and if its something you enjoy, but dont count on it. the problem with hunting is, to be responsible about it, youd have to go so far from the trail, plus the weight of hunting equipment and the trouble of dressing your kill just wouldnt make it worth it. but ive known ppl to pick ramps and berries, and even occasionally fish, but the fishing was more recreational, because they liked to fish and liked to eat fish as an alternative to ramen and lipton and instant potatoes every nite.

Bloodroot
10-13-2004, 13:11
Yeh ramps are always a tasty treat. Next day it will improve the already impressive odor.

Footslogger
10-13-2004, 13:21
Hike along with someone carrying more food than they need. Just kidding, of course

As already mentioned, anything you can scratch up along the trail should be viewed as a treat and not your main source of nutrition. Trail towns and road crossings where you can hitch/walk in and pick up your mail drop or buy groceries come frequently enough that you can get what you need. Just do your reading in advance and know where those stop-offs are and incorporate them into your plan.

'Slogger
AT 2003

Bloodroot
10-13-2004, 13:22
By the way there are a couple books out there (Trail Edibles) that will help you decide on what you can eat and...well shouldn't. Also hunting really wouldn't be a good idea, most seasons don't open until the fall...unless you are planning a N>S. If you decide to fish, please don't take any natives from the streams.

TedB
10-13-2004, 22:31
Lots of acorns in the fall.