PDA

View Full Version : New REI Coming!

Old Grouse
12-09-2009, 12:58
Good news for those in the NYC area. My local paper reports that REI has filed plans to open a store in Norwalk CT just adjacent to Exit 14 of I-95. No opening date was indicated, and obviously it would be some time off. It will be located in a former Linens 'N Things building. The street address will be 189 Connecticut Avenue (Rte 1).

There's a diner right across the street. I mention this because I always seem to want to stop at the Tom Sawyer Diner when I go to Campmor.

Chatzi
12-09-2009, 13:11
Now if only they'd open one in the NY third of the tri state area...

Manwich
12-09-2009, 13:21
Take it from somebody who just slept outside overnight for the opening of a new REI in East Hanover, NJ...

Don't sleep outside overnight for the opening of a new REI store.

sbennett
12-09-2009, 14:22
Take it from somebody who just slept outside overnight for the opening of a new REI in East Hanover, NJ...

lol, were they supposed to have some amazing "store opening" deals?

Manwich
12-09-2009, 14:42
First 200 people in get gift cards, varying from $200, $100, $50, $25, $20 and $5.

I thought if the store manager had to step over me to get into his store in the morning, he'd know who to give the $200 card to.

Guess which denomination I got!

tiptoe
12-09-2009, 18:09
Yay! (not that I need anything...)

Sly
12-09-2009, 18:30
For the foreseeable future I'll be living in place where the closest REI is 361 miles away. Free shipping to the nearest store is out of the question.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2009, 19:50
Last time I was in an REI was Atlanta a few years ago.

I had to buy some yupscale outdoorsy-type clothing because I was working at trade show.

The store was really good for that. :rolleyes:

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2009, 20:40
I like Rei over Ems and I am glad I have a membership.

Old Grouse
12-09-2009, 21:15
I don't know about you, Jack, but I tend to look at a lot more items than I buy. It doesn't intimidate me to browse through upscale items that I either don't want or wouldn't/couldn't spend my money on. I sometimes go to museums and art galleries, too, and for similar reasons. I learn a lot by seeing things "in the flesh."

I appreciate the opportunity to touch the goods and trying things on. On average I don't suppose I spend $50 per visit to REI, and usually a lot less. If I can do that without driving hundreds of miles, so much the better.

LIhikers
12-09-2009, 22:46
Now if only they'd open one in the NY third of the tri state area...

I think there used to be one in NY, Rye maybe, I don't really remember where. There must be a reason it closed.

XCskiNYC
12-09-2009, 22:50
They're already making NY'ers pay full sales tax (which is 8.875 percent in NYC).

So they might as well give us a store.

double d
12-10-2009, 08:47
REI, great outdoor store, I've never been to an REI and not enjoyed just looking around, (except of course, for all the yuppies running around the stores buying $300 NF coats for their 6 year old). I have been a member for a long time and I would say visit the store early on a work day, no one around, you might have the store to yourself, its fun just to try on the new backpacks.

Cookerhiker
12-10-2009, 09:17
Good news for those in the NYC area. My local paper reports that REI has filed plans to open a store in Norwalk CT just adjacent to Exit 14 of I-95. No opening date was indicated, and obviously it would be some time off. It will be located in a former Linens 'N Things building. The street address will be 189 Connecticut Avenue (Rte 1).

There's a diner right across the street. I mention this because I always seem to want to stop at the Tom Sawyer Diner when I go to Campmor.

For folks who live in Southern CT and Westchester County, NY, it's nice to have an REI closer. When I lived in the Washington DC area for many years, I heavily patronized the REI in College Park.

But it certainly isn't worthwhile for anyone in North Jersey or Rockland County to cross the Tappen Zee to visit REI when you're still closer to Campmor, IMO the best outfitter on the planet.

Incidentally Grouse, my cousin lives in Wilton. I was just there 2 weeks ago.

Cabin Fever
12-10-2009, 10:41
I, along with other friends, make trips to Asheville for the primary purpose of going to REI, but we always squeeze in some sort of outdoor pursuit.

sbennett
12-10-2009, 16:44
First 200 people in get gift cards, varying from $200, $100, $50, $25, $20 and $5.

I thought if the store manager had to step over me to get into his store in the morning, he'd know who to give the $200 card to.

Guess which denomination I got!

Yeah they did that same promotion when they opened the 2nd Charlotte store last year. I chose not to attend because I always lose when it comes to chance.

sherrill
12-10-2009, 17:23
I like REI, but you have to take it for what it is - a large chain. When I go there I don't have expectations that I'll find a super knowledgeable staff person but more often than not, I get surprised. Typically I already know what I want anyway.

Personally I prefer support local outfitters but there are none near me. The nearest REI is 40 miles away.

Bags4266
12-10-2009, 19:25

I was there the other day. Disappointed as well, better than EMS though. But no where near as good as campmor.

johnnybgood
12-10-2009, 21:49
Went to the grand opening of Richmond REI and found some sales associates more knowledgable than others.

While searching the Thermarest binds for the NeoAir and not finding it anywhere I was startled when a sales assoc. loudly announced his presence by asking me if he could be of any assistance.
I was suprised to no end that when I asked him about where the NeoAir bind was he said he had never even heard of it .

Now I may not know jack about gear but if hired to work at REI you would think one might want to bone up on the merchandise that you were obviously going to need to know
Another employee didn't know any more about the various stoves they had on the shelf than I did.

Hire me REI , I would read up like gang busters on everything that I needed to know and if I didn't know, lead them to someone that did know.

johnnybgood
12-10-2009, 22:21
Oops ! bin , not binds. Naw , I don't need no stinkin' speilchex.:D.

Kevin A. Boyce
12-10-2009, 23:48
It was in New Rochelle... Bad neighborhood was one reason it closed...

I think there used to be one in NY, Rye maybe, I don't really remember where. There must be a reason it closed.

Old Grouse
12-12-2009, 15:54
Latest word is that the Norwalk store will open in March, 2010.

harryfred
12-12-2009, 17:20
I finally broke down and went to the store in Timonium MD. It is a apx. 65 mile trip and round about at that. I figured I'd get some expert help on new gear starting with my next back pack. It was obvious I was the wrong gender to even get the attention of the sales staff. I approached some of the staff and asked direct questions and got totally ignored. I will give them a second chance but for now.. What a joke!

brooklynkayak
12-12-2009, 18:37
I was suprised to no end that when I asked him about where the NeoAir bind was he said he had never even heard of it .

Yes, retail sales and even wholesale sales for that matter. Sales experience is far more valuable than product knowledge.
That sales person can probably sell a lot of car camping gear and fashionable outdoor clothing.
Real backpacking gear is a small percentage of the gear that actually sells at most outfitters.

It reminds me of the time I went to the Soho, NYC EMS. They had very little light backpacking gear. The sales people kept wanting to sell me lanterns, camp towels and novelty items.