PDA

View Full Version : Just Passin' Thru by Winton Porter

tech30528
12-09-2009, 16:09
Anyone who has thru hiked knows the wonder of coming down Blood Mountain and walking across the road to Mountain Crossing, the only place on the AT that passes thru a building. While I have not yet had the opportunity to thru hike, I live in the area and have sectioned Ga and NC.

Well, the owner of that store has written a book. It's really quite good, and some of you may be mentioned in it. Having been in the store and met a few of the people he talks about, it has a very comfortable feel to it. Now I'm looking forward to my next trip up there to put more faces with names.

So, there is a character he mentions in the book, who is evidently a bit of a legend here on this site (yes, he mentions WhiteBlaze by name, and refers to it as... well, you'll see). His name is Minnesota Smith. Can someone direct me to the thread about his thru hike? I have a feeling it will be entertaining.

Red Hat
12-09-2009, 16:55
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44647&highlight=Minnesota+Smith

He had a journal on Trail Journals, but it appears to have been removed. The thread here will give all the good?, bad, and ugly... I certainly wouldn't call him a legend, myself...

Spokes
12-09-2009, 16:56
Yikes!!!!!!!

Red Hat
12-09-2009, 17:15
ah, Spokes, you must agree with me... By the way, you just need to read the last two pages of that long thread to get the idea of the kind of person MS is...

tech30528
12-09-2009, 23:18
Wow. Just got to the end of page 22 in the thread. A blown front trans seal? March of 2009? Makes me wish I had been posting here then. I own an auto repair shop in Cleveland Ga, next town east of Dahlonega. We don't usually mess with motor homes, but I would have taken care of that one.:(

Chaco Taco
12-10-2009, 19:54
Wow. Just got to the end of page 22 in the thread. A blown front trans seal? March of 2009? Makes me wish I had been posting here then. I own an auto repair shop in Cleveland Ga, next town east of Dahlonega. We don't usually mess with motor homes, but I would have taken care of that one.:(

Oh man, you have no idea!:rolleyes:

buff_jeff
12-12-2009, 11:32
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=44647&highlight=Minnesota+Smith

He had a journal on Trail Journals, but it appears to have been removed. The thread here will give all the good?, bad, and ugly... I certainly wouldn't call him a legend, myself...

God, that guy writes the most annoying register entries. What a yahoo

johnnybgood
12-12-2009, 13:00
Wintons' "Just Passin Thru" was at the top of my Christmas wish list this year.

I've heard nothing but good reviews about his book. I can't wait to get started on it.

Hikes in Rain
12-12-2009, 16:27
Mine, too, and me, too. There's a couple of book-shaped packages under the tree that the new kittens keep pushing out. :)

buff_jeff
12-12-2009, 20:59
Wish I could delete that post. I feel like an idiot for calling someone a "yahoo" on a forum; especially someone I don't know. The guy's register entries were just super annoying.

Petr
12-12-2009, 22:09
Just ordered the book on Amazon. It's strange to think that I'll be passin' thru in about two months. Between all the "yahoos" on this site and books like this, I've really begun to look forward to deja vu moments on the trail as I meet people and see places I've only read about. I've passed up opportunity to hike a few miles on the AT over the last couple of months, because, ever since I saw the thread about one's first time on the AT, I've wanted it to be Springer, the first day of my thru. I guess vicarious enjoyment is the compromise I've settled on.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2009, 22:28
It takes an eskimo to blow a seal.