PDA

View Full Version : how many ppl will vlog there hike?

musikisgood
12-09-2009, 19:38
so i dont think ill be able to do a thru hike this year
but i had a question for all of you that will be attemting a thru here starting in a few weeks/months.
how many of you plan to drop updates about your trail progress via youtube/viddler? i kept up with alot of 09's this year on youtube and it was awesome to watch ppl progress on the trail from the other side of the country met alot of cool ppl this year . and i hope to keep up with even more of you this year
wish i could hit the trail myself but untill then
getting to share in some of your journey's with you will have to sufice:sun
i get to grab a little bit of knowledge on gear and traillife from you guys
first person

so if you plan on uploading clips from your hike
let us know your channel names so we can follow it:banana

i know about trailjournels.com as well
so if u do upload anything from an 09 hike or a 2010 hike
link the trail journel on the info side of the clips you upload so i could read thoose aswell if you kept/keep one .

lastly Good Luck to all the ppl starting their hikes soon
wish i could be there with yall
take care,

tintin
12-10-2009, 06:42
This is something I'm giving a lot of thought about. I made several short videos of my cycle trip through South East Asia. Carrying the equipment and re-charging batteries wasn't really an issue. I brought my laptop too, so I could edit it as I went along.

I want to do the same on the AT, but weight and recharging the computer will be an issue. If I had an opportunity to plug my laptop on once a week then I'd give it more serious thought. I have gone ultra-light in other areas to keep open the possibility of doing this. It would also allow me to keep up the role I do with a charity I volunteer for.

I'll let you know what the outcome is and if you have any ideas about how I could do this, then please let me know!

JoshStover
12-10-2009, 07:15
Have you looked into any solar chargers for recharging your equipment?

tintin
12-10-2009, 08:46
Have you looked into any solar chargers for recharging your equipment?

Solar chargers can charge netbooks but not laptops apparently (so I've been told). I use a mac for my website and editing. I am at the final stage for a grant application with an organisation in the UK. If I am successful, then I will have some money to explore otherwise out of budget possibilities. Part of my condition of getting the grant would be to vlog so I've got to look into it. The grant would be very generous and mean I wouldn't have to touch my savings, so I think it would be worth the weight and the hassle... ?!?!

- Just found a solar charger for a mac but is $1000.... hmmm.

musikisgood
12-10-2009, 19:47
i dont have one so im not shure but maybe a Iphone?

ragincajun
03-25-2010, 04:33
will carry an old 8 lb dell laptop as im too pooor for lighter models will post loggs journal entrys menu ideas as im a cook who wants to be a personal trainer so will write book on way with computer logs called TRAIL FIT a book of menu plans and excersises people hiking the AT to lose weight can use doing excersises using your backpack or ropes or other items carried as equipment and resistance