PDA

View Full Version : Sixmoondesigns

jbrecon2
12-10-2009, 00:58
I haven't seen much on here about this company. Anyone use their gear? I was looking at the starlight pack (on sale 15% off) as well as the lunar solo also 15% off. This is for a thru hike and I'm also considering ULA circuit and a tarp tent rainbow

skinewmexico
12-10-2009, 01:10
I had a Lunar Solo; great tent, big footprint, lots of room. I use several different ULA packs, they are great. Never used a SMD pack. Good sale at Gossamer Gear now too. I just got a Tarptent Moment, it's a really slick tent.

Mags
12-10-2009, 01:50
Have used two shelters (the Gatewood Cape and the Wild Oasis) and the Essence. Happy with them.

Both are pieces of equipment for a minimalist kit.

A buddy and his fiance' use the Lunar Duo and are very pleased.

BrianLe
12-10-2009, 02:12
I have the Gatewood cape too, and the net tent that works with it; little experience with these so far, but happy with the purchase. I've met Ron Moak and seen his line of gear set up at a couple of trail events --- I've only heard good things, and he's got some new gear coming out (described in the blog section on his site).

ULA and tarptent.com stuff is great too, I would buy (and have bought) happily from any one of these companies, it's just a matter of picking what seems like it would work best for you. FWIW, ULA packs are getting to be the most common lightweight pack standard, everyone loves theirs that I've ever talked to (quite a number). I have an older model that I liked quite well, just went to a GG pack to save some more weight.

Chance09
12-10-2009, 02:27
not a fan of the sixmoondesign traveler. Felt it wasn't the same quality i've seen from most of the rest of their gear. Not very happy about the customer service I had either.

The lunar solo is great, but I gave up on tenting on the AT after a about two months into my thru. I really love it in green because about 30 feet off the trail it's unnoticeable. It's an all around awesome tent but I think i'd use a hammock the whole way through if i did it again. I felt that the many amazing campsites along the AT were either sloped or there was always a rock/root/something sharp where I wanted to setup my tent. :eek: If you can't tell this is a bit of a pet peeve of mine.

Helios
12-10-2009, 06:53
I've had the starlite pack for going on 2 years now, and will be using it on my thru come March. I've carried up to 30 lbs in this pack through a heavy April downpour with out any issues. I did two 150 mile sections, and one 125 mile section of the AT with this and am fully comfortable and set to use this on a thru hike.

I also have the Lunar Solo and Wild Oasis, and will be using the Wild Oasis on my thru. I like the Lunar Solo, but the simplicity of the Wild Oasis works better for me. All in one's comfort zone, really. I seam sealed this myself, and coated the tarp with a little more spray on silicone. Once you understand how to pitch a single walled shelter, you'll truly be able to enjoy this 13 oz simple shelter. IF this is what you choose.

Just my 1/2 cent input....

garlic08
12-10-2009, 11:56
I've used Tarptent and SMD products, and have been happier overall with Tarptent, in quality and customer service. I've never personally used ULA, but have heard nothing but satisfied customers.

bigcranky
12-10-2009, 13:18
I got the Starlite for Christmas 2004; been using it ever since. Having used a lot of packs over the years, this one is my favorite. Sent it back last spring to have some seams re-sewn, and I expect it'll last another five years.

My wife and I bought the Lunar Duo this summer. Very nice tent, with an unbelievable amount of space inside.

Kerosene
12-10-2009, 14:07
Satisfied user of the old SMD Europa 2-man, and the first generation Lunar Solo.

Manwich
12-10-2009, 16:03
+1 for the 1st gen SMD Lunar Solo.

Tough to set up on some tent platforms though. Good quality otherwise.

Lucy Lulu
12-10-2009, 16:16
Two thumbs up for the Wild Oasis.

coldspring
12-10-2009, 16:29
How dare someone have criticism for a cottage manufacturer! From the looks of their 2010 packs, they are gradually turning into ULA packs. The Swift looks pretty lame, I guess that's why it's being discontinued. I'm a hammocker, and I'd rather have a ULA pack, so not interested in any of their stuff.

sparky2000
12-10-2009, 16:32
13oz. for the shelter is great. Then for the floor use the poncho that also does as raincoat, pack rain cover, and wind breaker. This combo of 13 oz. + 9.5 oz. with multi use is in the long haul minilist hiker.

BrianLe
12-10-2009, 17:01
I'm not inclined to use a poncho as "floor use", seems to me it could get too much pitch and crap on it and/or too much potential for damage. I like the Gatewood Cape version of Wild Oasis better myself, add the 7+ oz net tent when it's buggy.

But a lightweight polycro ground cloth isn't too heavy, so Wild Oasis is a great option if you have some other rain gear that you prefer.

Rough
12-10-2009, 17:17
I've been using the Starlite since 2007. Best backpack of the 3 (GoLite, Gregory, SMD) I've used. My 25 pounds is very comfortable and I love the mesh pockets on the outside.

XCskiNYC
12-10-2009, 17:31
I've had the starlite pack for going on 2 years now, and will be using it on my thru come March. I've carried up to 30 lbs in this pack through a heavy April downpour with out any issues....

With a pack cover?

Ramble~On
12-10-2009, 19:25
I have a Lunar Duo..it's a palace, well made and designed. This thing is huge!

Chaco Taco
12-10-2009, 19:45
I haven't seen much on here about this company. Anyone use their gear? I was looking at the starlight pack (on sale 15% off) as well as the lunar solo also 15% off. This is for a thru hike and I'm also considering ULA circuit and a tarp tent rainbow

Six Moon designs is a great small business. Really nice quality gear at a little bit of cost. Just know that the lighter you go, the more expensive it gets. I do think the prices on the packs is reasonable. I like the Traveller and am thinking about one for my fiance. Just know that if you go UL on your pack, go UL with it all. The ULA Circuit is also a great choice. I looked at it before I got my Granite Gear. I do like the outside mesh pockets. I get a little nervous about going UL on my pack. Im afraid I would rip something.
Good luck with your choice. i think you are on the right track to a great hike.

Chaco Taco
12-10-2009, 19:47
I have a Lunar Duo..it's a palace, well made and designed. This thing is huge!

No doubt. It took me a little while to come around on it, but now that we have had a night of it pitched perfectly, Im sold. Learned a few tricks to setting it up to get everything nice a tight. Great tent!!! You have any ideas about making gear pockets in it to store gear above ground??

skinewmexico
12-10-2009, 22:54
Gossamer Gear Maripsa Plus. Tarptent Moment.

Long feet
12-11-2009, 15:53
I have the Gatewood Cape and am loving it the more I use it. Every interaction with this company has been great.

wcgornto
12-11-2009, 16:13
I just completed a SOBO thru hike with the Starlite pack and it performed perfectly. I could not be more pleased. I did have to send it back to have the top seam re-stitched (where the hanging loop and load lifters are). I attribute this to carrying too much weight initially in Maine, 100 mile wilderness, etc. Once re-stitched, the seam never had any issues again. More important was the customer service that I received in this process. They sent a loaner pack to me where I was along the trail so that I could keep hiking while waiting for the repair to my pack, then they sent the repaired pack to me where I was along the trail a week later. I didn't miss a moment of hiking time. I wouldn't hesitate to do another long distance hike with the same pack. It still has many miles of life left in it.

dpnoll
12-11-2009, 17:11
I have both a Starlite and a ULA Ohm and like them both. The main difference for me is that the Starlite will carry more volume and will also handle 30# easily. My wife and I also have a Lunar Duo and it is palatial for two people and you each have a door to get out during those nightly exits. My wife has the ULA Circuit and so do a couple of her friends. They really like them.

echoes
12-12-2009, 20:40
I have the Starlite pack which I really like. Also have the Lunar Solo, but I can never seem to get it set up properly without the back corners coming all the way down to the ground.

Kerosene
12-13-2009, 12:46
Also have the Lunar Solo, but I can never seem to get it set up properly without the back corners coming all the way down to the ground.It sounds like you're not using the 8" Easton aluminum stakes, which when pushed halfway in give you enough height to keep the upper fly above the floor and increase air circulation.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-13-2009, 13:18
I'm another big fan of Six Moon Design's Lunar Solo tent - if you opt for the lighter weight bathtub floor version - your real tent - enclosed and with floor is 23 oz. Downside is the floor is super slippery and if you dont camp on level ground you may wake up in a fetal position in a lower corner of the tent. Still love it though!

skinewmexico
12-13-2009, 15:41
I have the Starlite pack which I really like. Also have the Lunar Solo, but I can never seem to get it set up properly without the back corners coming all the way down to the ground.

Loosen the back of the tent, and tighten the front guyline. And make sure the back guylines are all the way out.