PDA

View Full Version : new section, new season

tagg
12-10-2009, 17:06
I completed my first section hike during the first week of September, from Springer to Deep Gap, NC. It was pretty warm/hot during the day, my 35* bag was too warm to zip up many nights, and I only had a couple of days of rain. The trail was not at all crowded, in fact the last half of that week I saw more bears (4) than people (3).
I'm planning to pick up there and head to Fontana for a week at the end of April. I know there will be more people since I will be in the thick of the thru hiker crowd, but how about weather, water, etc.? Any other differences I should expect? Should I pack any differently for a late April trip than an early September trip?

Pacific Tortuga
12-10-2009, 17:17
VERY :cool:

Ox97GaMe
12-10-2009, 17:23
April will still be cold in the mountains and you could see snow. Also, be aware that 7 days is a push to get from Dicks Creek to Fontana. That is just under 100 miles. And those miles will be tough. It is a lot of up and down, even more so than you experienced in Georgia.

The good news is that during that time of year, there will be plenty of opportunities to catch a hitch into Franklin in order to get back to your vehicle.

Plan on temps to be around freezing or below at night, but could get up to 60s and 70s during the daytime. Also expect it to be wet most of the time. It usually is in April.

Chaco Taco
12-10-2009, 17:49
I completed my first section hike during the first week of September, from Springer to Deep Gap, NC. It was pretty warm/hot during the day, my 35* bag was too warm to zip up many nights, and I only had a couple of days of rain. The trail was not at all crowded, in fact the last half of that week I saw more bears (4) than people (3).
I'm planning to pick up there and head to Fontana for a week at the end of April. I know there will be more people since I will be in the thick of the thru hiker crowd, but how about weather, water, etc.? Any other differences I should expect? Should I pack any differently for a late April trip than an early September trip?

You should be prepared for anything really especially with the big elevation changes you will see. This is a pretty mountainous section of trail as well so know that it will be challenging. Last year it was really wet so water was not an issue. Plan for that!

I carry my winter bag
Base layer
Warm hat
Gloves
fleece

Blissful
12-10-2009, 20:49
Can definitely still be cold, etc. Nice thing about sectioning is you can check the weather and plan for it. This is also a tougher section, with the Stecoahs. Allow plenty of time.