PDA

View Full Version : sleeping bag liners

tndrfoot
12-11-2009, 21:46
What is the prefered sleeping bag liner for cold weather? looking for advice please. And socks what is the prefered hiking socks everyone uses please give me some thoughts thanks.

Blissful
12-11-2009, 21:48
I used a cocoon silk liner myself.

Deadeye
12-12-2009, 00:22
Never used a bag liner, summer or winter, just used a bag fit for the season.

Socks? Smartwool, Darn Tough and Thorlos will get a couple zillion votes. Avoid cotton, stick to wool and synthetics.

Reid
12-12-2009, 00:34
is anyone going to say vapor barrier?

Dogwood
12-12-2009, 00:54
Cocoon silk bag liner used in any season to extend the temp range of my sleeping bag by about 5-8 *.

Socks - going to get lots of answers.

dmax
12-12-2009, 01:05
I'll be trying this one out shortly, I hope.

http://www.seatosummit.com/products/display/24

DylonHike
12-12-2009, 04:36

seems extremely heavy for a liner

tintin
12-12-2009, 05:42

I was going to go for this liner, but read very mixed reviews. I'd be interested to read what you have to say about it. Let us know what you think!

gipcgirl
12-12-2009, 06:37
I was going to go for this liner, but read very mixed reviews. I'd be interested to read what you have to say about it. Let us know what you think!

I have this liner and used it for a two week hike in the Australian Alps a few weeks ago and I love it. Great to use on its own if its warm and adds heaps of warmth to your sleeping bag on those really cold nights. Also used it as a sarong and a towel very versatile item and I will be bringing it with me to the States
Happy Hiking
gipcgirl

tintin
12-12-2009, 07:14
I have this liner and used it for a two week hike in the Australian Alps a few weeks ago and I love it. Great to use on its own if its warm and adds heaps of warmth to your sleeping bag on those really cold nights. Also used it as a sarong and a towel very versatile item and I will be bringing it with me to the States
Happy Hiking
gipcgirl

I was going off this thread on backpackinglight: http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=363

Ironically enough, it's an fellow Australian who gave a dim view. I'm going to keep an open mind and probably try one out. I'm not too fussed about the weight as I'm pretty light at it is. I think the first question should be: how does it perform, rather than how heavy it is.

Thanks for the review and best of luck to you!

Cabin Fever
12-12-2009, 08:27
Socks, I have pretty much fell in love wih Bridgedales. I have about 10 pairs now. By Divine intervention, my local TJ Maxx seems to have them all the time so I stock up at a huge discount.

Tinker
12-12-2009, 08:32
is anyone going to say vapor barrier?

Vapor barrier!
If one hasn't used a vbl (vapor barrier liner), they should only be used with long underwear on, since they hold moisture (which is what makes the work - they also hold warmth better than breathable fabrics)in. It would be better, imo, to wear a silnylon rainsuit over your long underwear and layer clothing over it before going to bed so you don't have to freeze when you get up to pee. Vbl's are not for everyone and only function well if you encounter temps well below the freezing point.
Vbl socks are, however, for everyone in cold weather. They are amazing.

generoll
12-12-2009, 08:40
For my purposes, a sleeping bag liner is about 50% warmth and 50% cleanliness. It's a lot easier to throw a liner in the wash then it is a sleeping bag. Really helps to keep the sleeping bag funk to a minimum.

Reid
12-12-2009, 09:08
Vapor barrier!
If one hasn't used a vbl (vapor barrier liner), they should only be used with long underwear on, since they hold moisture (which is what makes the work - they also hold warmth better than breathable fabrics)in. It would be better, imo, to wear a silnylon rainsuit over your long underwear and layer clothing over it before going to bed so you don't have to freeze when you get up to pee. Vbl's are not for everyone and only function well if you encounter temps well below the freezing point.
Vbl socks are, however, for everyone in cold weather. They are amazing.

Yes. They work amazing, but only in freezing weather as you mentioned. I was very surprised. I was thining of sewing another one for this winter do you know they best kind of matieral. Stephenson's calls there fuzzy something but that doesnt tell me much.

drifter
12-12-2009, 10:13
I've used a silk cocoon liner for years with great results, regardless of the season. As others have mentioned gives one the versatility of adding 4-7 degrees of warmth but the real advantage is extending the life of your bag.

Socks - there are indeed many choices and preferences....I've always had great luck with SmartWools.

dmax
12-12-2009, 10:24
Along with the thermolite reactor they also make one with fleece. I'm sure this is for winter also. The thermolite is +15* added to the bag. The fleece doesn't state a rating.

I bought some Darn Tough socks on Thursday. They haven't been off my feet since! I don't think I'll ever go back to smartwools.

drifter
12-12-2009, 10:58
dmax, not familiar with the Darn Tough socks....who's the manufacturer and where can you find them?

Bags4266
12-12-2009, 11:02
I was going to buy a silk liner, not for the extra warmth but to keep the filth of 10 hours of hiking off my bag. When I realized the extra weight for one item I decided to go with the Terramar Silk pants. They weigh 3.5 oz. For a top I just wear a fresh Poly shirt.

dmax
12-12-2009, 11:16
They are called Darn Tough socks made in Vermont. They were at my local outfitter. here is a link:

http://www.darntough.com/

Bags4266
12-12-2009, 11:43
Socks- Costco $10.00 for 4 pair merino wool. At $2.50 a pair my feet don't complain and neither does my wallet!

FritztheCat
12-12-2009, 11:44
I use a silk liner for my bag. It has it's pros and cons. I think it does keep my bag cleaner and a tad warmer. I like the fact that if my face is cold from sticking out of the bag, I can pull the liner up over my head and breathe through it. This works pretty well because then the warmth of my breath travels down into the bag (or at least it seems this way). The con of the liner is that when I flop around trying to get comfortable, it gets all twisted up around me. I feel like I'm caught in a spiderweb. I'm still working out this issue.

For socks, I tried the Smartwool but they caused my feet to get beet red and irritated. I think I may have some sort of skin allergy to smartwool. I really like my Darn Tough socks. I think they are made of merino wool and to be honest, I don't really know the difference between smartwool and merino wool. I just know the Darn Tough socks don't irriate my skin at all. They are extremely comfortable.

dmax
12-12-2009, 11:56
Darn Tough have a Lifetime Guarantee.....Also I don't think we have a costco anywhere around here...:)

tndrfoot
12-12-2009, 19:29
thanks for all the replys all help is appriciated.

Wise Old Owl
12-12-2009, 20:49
I took an old cotton bed sheet and trimmed it to the right size of my mummy bag... sewed it up half way up one side and it appears to do its job reducing sweat getting into the bag.

Bags4266
12-12-2009, 21:04
Flea Bay has sleeping liners, silk, at very reasonable prices.

JoshStover
12-12-2009, 22:03
Go with the Darn Toughs. They are by far the best I have ever had on my feet.

sticks&stones
12-12-2009, 22:15
100% silk
good luck w/ a sock pick

frisbeefreek
12-13-2009, 23:16
Met several people on the PCT that raved about Jagbags (www.jagbags.co.nz (http://www.jagbags.co.nz)). I saw a sample and was impressed. I don't have a weight, but it felt as light as any of the more expensive options.

++ on Darn Tough Socks. I have over a 1000 miles on a current pair. Recently saw them for sale at TJMaxx.

WinterWarlock
12-14-2009, 08:51
Met several people on the PCT that raved about Jagbags (www.jagbags.co.nz (http://www.jagbags.co.nz)). I saw a sample and was impressed. I don't have a weight, but it felt as light as any of the more expensive options.

++ on Darn Tough Socks. I have over a 1000 miles on a current pair. Recently saw them for sale at TJMaxx.

I have one of these (don't have the weight either) but can attest to it's quality at least. Used it in the summer by itself, use it in sketchy hotels, and as a liner. I was a bit concerned about buying something sight-unseen from New Zealand, but it arrived quickly with no problems. I'd buy another from them vs the pricier Sea to Summit's.

buz
12-14-2009, 10:02
I would advise trying a liner, either buy one that you can return, or make one for trial out of an old sheet if handy. Reason being, you may not like them. I bought one, and couldn't use it, and wanted to like it. Returned it. But I am flippy floppy side sleeper, and waking up as part of a knot with my liner just wasn't fun. I too went with silk jammies, they double as liners under my pants when cold.

makoboy
12-14-2009, 10:25
I use the Sea to Summit Adaptor Cool Max liner year round. Keeps my bag clean, feels alot better on the skin than the taffetta nylon, adds warmth on the cooler nights, and feels cooler on the wamer nights.

copythat
12-14-2009, 11:18
i've carried the oware tricot liner, but i always give it away to my hiking partners, who always get cold. i don't get cold because i stuff a small scrap of closed-cell under my feet inside my bag and that solves my warmth issues.

socks: smart wool + cool max liners in the extra cold. (i stay home if it's below 0!)

Berserker
12-14-2009, 15:03
I have a Jagbag silk mummy liner that weighs a hair under 5 oz. I use it solely to keep dirt and other stuff (like sweat) off my bag, and normally use it in warmer weather. I don't think it adds much if any to the rating of the bag. In colder weather I just wear my clothes in the bag. I like the liner because it keeps my bag clean, but as other posters have already mentioned it can be a pain in the rear if you toss and turn a lot like I do. I always end up tangled up in it. For those of you using silk pajamas, where did you buy them? I would like to get some silk bottoms, and ditch the liner.

As for socks, for years I have used Wigwam and Smartwool. Nice socks, but pricey. Recently I made the switch from boots to trail runners, and have been using some Under Armor syntehtic athletic socks (at about $5 a pair) with liners (cheap synthetic dress socks from Wal-Mart work well for this).

Bags4266
12-14-2009, 15:19
I have a Jagbag silk mummy liner that weighs a hair under 5 oz. I use it solely to keep dirt and other stuff (like sweat) off my bag, and normally use it in warmer weather. I don't think it adds much if any to the rating of the bag. In colder weather I just wear my clothes in the bag. I like the liner because it keeps my bag clean, but as other posters have already mentioned it can be a pain in the rear if you toss and turn a lot like I do. I always end up tangled up in it. For those of you using silk pajamas, where did you buy them? I would like to get some silk bottoms, and ditch the liner.

As for socks, for years I have used Wigwam and Smartwool. Nice socks, but pricey. Recently I made the switch from boots to trail runners, and have been using some Under Armor syntehtic athletic socks (at about $5 a pair) with liners (cheap synthetic dress socks from Wal-Mart work well for this).

Check the Co. Terramar, Campmor sells them. 19.99 for the bottoms weight is 3.5 oz

ianjoe59
12-14-2009, 16:58
Wife and I both used cocoon silk liners on our early March thru-hike start. Added a little warmth, but mainly kept our expensive WM bags clean and not too smelly. We just washed the liners when we were in town.