PDA

View Full Version : bear mountain new york

ric2hunt
12-12-2009, 13:43
Going to be doing some hiking near Bear Mountain, NY, next week. Approximately 40 miles starting at Bellvale, NY and ending at Peekskill What should I not miss on this hike. Best sites, views, etc...

Manwich
12-12-2009, 14:14
Don't miss the cars going 40mph down that road.

tiptoe
12-12-2009, 18:21
West Mountain shelter is .6 miles off the AT in Bear Mountain State Park, but if weather conditions are right you get a great view of the new york city skyline. I was there in the summer a couple of years ago and watched a spectacular lightning storm over the city.

sasquatch2014
12-12-2009, 18:45
West Mountain shelter is .6 miles off the AT in Bear Mountain State Park, but if weather conditions are right you get a great view of the new york city skyline. I was there in the summer a couple of years ago and watched a spectacular lightning storm over the city.

Depending on when you do it you may have a "blue Moon" and that sight over the city would be worth the sometimes windy conditions that can exist at West Mountain shelter. I like the Fingerboard Shelter so if you get a chance good stopping point for lunch. Also watch out for the old mine sites south of Fingerboard as these are deep and full of water with the current cold they will be iced over but I wouldn't go walking on them. They should be easy enough to see. Great area for a winter hike you will be mostly by yourself.

Fussymary
12-12-2009, 19:51
Not sure if this takes you past the tower on Perkins, but if its open take the time to climb it and look at the historical pictures. And sit on the nice bench by the tower. A nice place to have lunch.

ric2hunt
12-13-2009, 11:40
Has anyone stayed at the Bear Mountain Bridge Inn? Recommend or no go?

sofaking
12-13-2009, 12:59
i think its closed.

LIhikers
12-13-2009, 18:00
Bear Mountain Inn has been closed, for renovations supposedly, for years and as far as I know there's no reopening date in sight.

sasquatch2014
12-13-2009, 20:46
my understanding is it is still closed but there is another lodge in the park where you can stay if you wanted to. If it were me I'd stay over in Ft Montgomery where I can do things that I would need to do on a day off the trail.

Tinker
12-13-2009, 22:05

Great shelter. Bring your own water - it's dry (unless you feel like walking downhill .6 mi. and back up.
I always enjoy looking over a city, being thankful that I'm in the woods.

I should have visited the Greymoor friary. I stayed at the ballfield pavilion and left early the next day.

Feral Bill
12-13-2009, 22:11
While passing through Harriman, there's no law that says you can't explore around a bit. Get a park map and enjoy some great places throughout the park. Stockbridge and Bald Rocks shelters are in nice areas. You could spend a week or more if you want.

The_Saint
12-31-2009, 13:06
Bear Mountain can be a "bear" if you haven't hiked in a while especially with snow on it.

sasquatch2014
12-31-2009, 13:11
Bear isn't as bad as the next two to the south both Black Mt and West Mt can be pretty nasty in bad weather.

takethisbread
12-31-2009, 13:36
When you going? Im hiking that area next weekend. I finished off a few weeks back at Arden Valley Rd, and I was considering doing one starting there or starting at Hoyt rd and going south to Bear mtn.

Yahtzee
12-31-2009, 14:03
Bear isn't as bad as the next two to the south both Black Mt and West Mt can be pretty nasty in bad weather.

Word. Those three in a succession will bite ya. But typically it is hotter than hell when I go thru there, so maybe it's wouldn't be so bad if the ground was snow-free and the weather was chillier.

sasquatch2014
01-01-2010, 10:25
When you going? Im hiking that area next weekend. I finished off a few weeks back at Arden Valley Rd, and I was considering doing one starting there or starting at Hoyt rd and going south to Bear mtn.

If you end up doing Hoyt give me a shout and I'll see what my schedule looks like i live up by there I need to get out and hike some. Holidays had way too much food.

eric j
01-01-2010, 14:20
Going to be doing some hiking near Bear Mountain, NY, next week. Approximately 40 miles starting at Bellvale, NY and ending at Peekskill What should I not miss on this hike. Best sites, views, etc...
Rick, Something like 250 miles of trails/old roads in Harriman get the NYNJTC maps 118 and 119, lots of history, ruins, mines,views.

The Bear mtn. lodge is still closed, but you can stay at the overlook 100.00? or there are some places up 9w as you head toward West Point

If you are hiking down to Peekskill, I would suggest going up Anthonys nose on the east side of the hudson and coming down the camp smith trail (blue blaze) I think, exit the old toll house. peekskill is 1 mile. Bear mtn bridge rd. is a dangerous place to be on foot, people drive like **** there.

West Mtn shelter is also one of my favs. if you come up from beechy bottom (water) on the AT its .5 or so miles once on the ridge heading south (blue I think) then backtrack and walk the ridge for a few miles (great views) at the north end of west mtn,. is also one of the nicest views (campsite) in the park, then down to 7 lakes dr. and back up bear mtn. or follow the drive to the lodge.

Or from west mtn shelter you can go down into the valley and through Doodletown (extinct town) and back towards the Inn, lodging and the Bridge

YoungMoose
01-03-2010, 20:00
I just went up on west mountian and it was easy to climb up it from the anthony wayne section area today that was easy but going down it took alot of time and alot of sliding.

mykl
03-01-2010, 00:08
I plan on going up to Bear Mountain for a few nights soon. Is parking overnight at Anthony Wayne legal/safe?

sasquatch2014
03-01-2010, 09:44
I plan on going up to Bear Mountain for a few nights soon. Is parking overnight at Anthony Wayne legal/safe?

If you can work it out park in the big parking lot at the base of Bear and just check in with the rangers office at the south end of the lot and you can leave your car there with all the rangers cars good safe spot. Haven't had issues at Elk Pen area either the few times I have parked there.

mykl
03-01-2010, 12:42
Thanks. I'll check it out soon. I have parked at Elk Pen many times without a problems, along with many other parking area in Harriman, not so much Bear Mountain though. There is always a lot of talk about break ins in the area. There is also the small parking lot at the north end of 7 lakes dr, passes the a.t. i believe near perkins tower. Parked there for many day hikes but not overnight. Anthony Wayne seems a bit safer, I would think.

eric j
03-02-2010, 07:56
Thanks. I'll check it out soon. I have parked at Elk Pen many times without a problems, along with many other parking area in Harriman, not so much Bear Mountain though. There is always a lot of talk about break ins in the area. There is also the small parking lot at the north end of 7 lakes dr, passes the a.t. i believe near perkins tower. Parked there for many day hikes but not overnight. Anthony Wayne seems a bit safer, I would think.
I think parking is as safe as anywhere, you always take a chance, Ive left my car in both those lots without problems, but you never know when dirtbags roll in.

LIhikers
03-02-2010, 10:00

Anthony Wayne is on the state's list of parks that will be closed due to state budget cuts. While it has been safe to park there in the past, I don't know if you'll be allowed to now.

eric j
03-02-2010, 11:51
Anthony Wayne is on the state's list of parks that will be closed due to state budget cuts. While it has been safe to park there in the past, I don't know if you'll be allowed to now.
Basicially it's been closed for year's, short of maybe a garbage pickup,grass cutting and a possible patrol, maybe an event or 2.
Do you really think they would close the parking lot?

mykl
03-02-2010, 13:42
I believe there is a book store/gift shop type of thing at Anthony Wayne. Is that what is closed?

10-K
03-02-2010, 14:12
Bear Mountain can be a "bear" if you haven't hiked in a while especially with snow on it.

Everything between Bear Mountain and Vernon is a bear...

eric j
03-02-2010, 18:15
I believe there is a book store/gift shop type of thing at Anthony Wayne. Is that what is closed?
The book store is on the Palasades Parkway, I doubt it will ever close.Its a great little store selling publications of the area (hudson valley) it's a gold mine with the weekend tourists from NYC who venture north for the day in their Zip cars and such. It is very unique, the AT crosses just to the south I believe, through A.Wayne and up West Mtn. I love West Mtn.:sun

sasquatch2014
03-02-2010, 21:49
If I read correctly they are opening part of the big relo that they have been working on for a few years now on Bear Mt on june 5th being National Trail Days and all.

mykl
03-02-2010, 22:18
If I read correctly they are opening part of the big relo that they have been working on for a few years now on Bear Mt on june 5th being National Trail Days and all.
I just read that a part of the A.T. in Bear Mountain is opening up. They pretty much built a long, high staircase going up a hill. Also have read that there is some criticism out there about it. I think its something about not looking natural, taking away from the scenery/atmosphere of the area. But I think it will make the climb easier, for thru hikers/section hikers and for all the day hikers/picnickers who probably would never climb it any other way, which could have a negative impact to. Who knows, I'll have to see it/walk it to make my own opinion.

eric j: I never been up to the shelter on West Mountain, are there good spots to pitch a tent in the area?

sasquatch2014
03-04-2010, 22:48
I just read that a part of the A.T. in Bear Mountain is opening up. They pretty much built a long, high staircase going up a hill. Also have read that there is some criticism out there about it. I think its something about not looking natural, taking away from the scenery/atmosphere of the area. But I think it will make the climb easier, for thru hikers/section hikers and for all the day hikers/picnickers who probably would never climb it any other way, which could have a negative impact to. Who knows, I'll have to see it/walk it to make my own opinion.

eric j: I never been up to the shelter on West Mountain, are there good spots to pitch a tent in the area?

It has been a multi year project and all the steps are made of natural rock. All the pictures that I have seen of it look great. It will be a much more durable tread-way than the dirt path that has so much erosion. This area is one of the most trafficked on the entire trail.

I plan to go over and help out a few days as the weather breaks and they start work again. I will be glad to have been a part of such a big project. That along with the new boardwalk that is getting built here in Pawling will make the trail that much nicer in NY.

dperry
03-06-2010, 13:22
This area is one of the most trafficked on the entire trail.

To be precise, depending on which set on numbers you believe, 10%-15% of the annual usership of the entire trail comes from the ~4 miles between the main parking lot and the top of the mountain.

Mykl, having seen the "before" pictures of much of the mountainside pretty much eroded away, it would be difficult for the current project to look much less natural.

Simba
03-07-2010, 14:14
Going NOBO from Rt 17 Greenwood lake, NY to Kent, Conn on an eight day hike the end of this month; a trial run of sorts. Then going NOBO in June from Kent to Katahdin and figuring in ten weeks for that. Anyone interested feel free to contact me. My trail name is Simba, I hiked from Springer to NY in 2000 as the given trail name Simba; it fits, stopped back then due to swollen tops of my feet, horrid pain. Time to finish the trail so I can look back at something I wished I did and did; not wished I did and didn't.

Ryan (AKA: Simba)

WalkSoftly33
03-07-2010, 14:25

There is a nice little ridge camp site just before the trail starts going down to W.Mt shelter, on the blue blaze just off the AT. Some tree coverage but also some solid views, Camp fire ring, cushy grass off to the right of the ring for your tent.

I was planning on stayin at W.Mt shelter(amazing view of hudson) but it was occupied by a father and his two sons, I didnt want to rain on there paraid so I back tracked about a 1/8mile? back up the trail to this spot that I had walked by. It was my first solo and it was a good time.