PDA

View Full Version : Hello!

klar4230
12-12-2009, 14:09
My name is Katie and I am new to the forum. I have always been interested in hiking the trail. A friend from high school did part of it during college and that's what got my interest.

I am trying to decide when I am going to start, I think the whole gear aspect is what is overwhelming me! :eek:

Feral Bill
12-12-2009, 14:44
My name is Katie and I am new to the forum. I have always been interested in hiking the trail. A friend from high school did part of it during college and that's what got my interest.

I am trying to decide when I am going to start, I think the whole gear aspect is what is overwhelming me! :eek:

Don't sweat the gear. You will figure that out as you go. Skills and understanding are important. So, get inexpensive, functional gear (maybe used) and start in on short hikes. Summer weekends require very little. As you build experience you can upgrade gear and use your old stuff to lend to friends. There are articles on cheap gear on this site.

Have fun!

harryfred
12-12-2009, 14:58
Yeah, the whole gear aspect can be intimidating. read through the articles, left hand side of home page. Get your top ten together and start with day hikes. Start looking there should be trails of some sort near you. If all else fails go cheap. The more you hike the more you will know. Adjust your pack as you need If you did not need it and it is not critical I.E. I take spare eye glasses, dump it if you would have liked to have it take it. Now move on to over night trips and do the same thing critique your pack after every trip. when in doubt go cheap, and shoot for light.Keep reading here and reading the forums as they pertain to you. HYOH ( Hike Your Own Hike) is the rule. The big three is 1) Be safe. 2) Be courteous. 3) HAVE FUN!! Don"t be afraid to make mistakes. I'd be willing to bet all of us at WB have a tub of stuff that did not work.:welcome

Blissful
12-12-2009, 15:56
This is the place to be - though you will get lots of ideas aobut gear, etc. Best to start slow, read what you can, check out reviews, gear lists, trail journals for the gear hikers used and that worked for them, etc.