PDA

View Full Version : Are Black Bears active in North GA in December?

Tuney
12-12-2009, 17:18
I'm planning a shakedown hike this month and got to wondering how active the Black Bears are in the Chattahoochee National Forest this time of year. Do I still need to be careful about "Bear Bagging" my smellables?

Phreak
12-12-2009, 19:37
Yeah, the bears are still active in December down this way.

AggieAl
12-12-2009, 19:43
Just curious, but do the black bears in the south hibernate in the winter. I will be starting at Springer February 21st. They are normally not active near where I live.

Phreak
12-12-2009, 20:03
Just curious, but do the black bears in the south hibernate in the winter. I will be starting at Springer February 21st. They are normally not active near where I live.
I've seen bears in Georgia in every month of the year. I don't know much about their hibernating habits down here but I know they are out and about when bears in other areas are snoozing.

thestin
12-12-2009, 20:39
Black bears in Georgia and North Carolina may hole up for awhile during extreme cold, but they do not truly hibernate like their northern cousins.

Tuney
12-12-2009, 20:42
I've seen bears in Georgia in every month of the year. I don't know much about their hibernating habits down here but I know they are out and about when bears in other areas are snoozing.

I was reading some research on the internet that says a: Bears may not hibernate if food is plentiful: and B: They may not hibernate if they haven't stored enough food to be able to make it through the winter. I guess either way we need to watch out for the bears all year long.

xnav
12-13-2009, 09:47
I hiked the Smokies in Jan. with temps down to 2 degrees and still have seen bear tracks after a fresh snow.

Pedaling Fool
12-13-2009, 10:09
I'm planning a shakedown hike this month and got to wondering how active the Black Bears are in the Chattahoochee National Forest this time of year. Do I still need to be careful about "Bear Bagging" my smellables?
Black bears as a whole are a lot less active this time of year in that area, but you can see them http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=191:5-stages-of-activity-and-hibernation&catid=61&Itemid=122

stumpknocker
12-13-2009, 10:24
I hiked the Smokies in Jan. with temps down to 2 degrees and still have seen bear tracks after a fresh snow.

I walked through the Smokies in Jan '08 and saw bear tracks in snow too. I've seen bear tracks other years in snow...in the middle of winter, when people say they should be in hibernation, so yes, they do move around then too.

The thing about the tracks in the Smokies that amazed me more than anything was where the bear went....up a steep hill through brush so thick you wouldn't think anything could get through it. It gave me a new appreciation for just how rugged wildlife can be. :)

Tuney....not sure what "smellables" you're talking about, but all my "smellables" stay in my tent with me. ;)

Pedaling Fool
12-13-2009, 11:32
Tuney....not sure what "smellables" you're talking about, but all my "smellables" stay in my tent with me. ;)
You had to go there:D, but since you did I'll second that approach;)

Tuney
12-13-2009, 12:53
You had to go there:D, but since you did I'll second that approach;)

Ok! You got me. :sun The worst of my smellables stay in my tent with me too. However, in this case we often use the term with our Younger boy scouts to mean all food, cosmetics, film, unopened candy bars, water bottles that have been used for flavored beverages etc. that need to go up in the Bear Bag.

DrRichardCranium
12-13-2009, 12:59
Bears don't really hibernate at all. In Northern areas they do spend a lot of time sleeping during the winter, but they do not hibernate.

Pedaling Fool
12-13-2009, 18:13
Bears don't really hibernate at all. In Northern areas they do spend a lot of time sleeping during the winter, but they do not hibernate.
Hey Doc, maybe you should read a little more and not get your information via word-of-mouth.

Black bears do hibernate, true they are genetically predisposed to hibernate longer in some areas than others, but regardless they hibernate.

Some of the things that happen to them which makes them hibernators, NOT simply sleeping:

- They use up to 4,000 kcal per day[sic], mainly body fat, but do not eat, drink, urinate, or defecate.

- They can reduce oxygen consumption and metabolic rate by half and breathe only once every 45 seconds.

- Heart rate can drop periodically to 8-21 beats per minute, and blood flow to skeletal muscle, particularly the legs, can be reduced by 45% or more

- Blood perfusion rates of peripheral tissues can fall below levels needed for aerobic metabolism in human

Educate yourself and stop repeating what others say: http://www.bear.org/website/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=61&Itemid=122