PDA

View Full Version : hey everyone

philly
12-13-2009, 16:09
hi, im new here and i am looking for some help on hiking a section of the trail, in MA. We are thinking about bring my sons scout troop out to the mass section next spring. we are looking to take them on a 3 day hike. My plan is to hike north to south. the age of the scouts will range from 11-18 plus the adults. Where would the best place to start and end? how are the trails through MA, and would tent camping be the best idea? Another question I have its the trail it self. my son has CP, and does have a hard time on some trails. he has the hardest time on trails that are have lots of roots and really rocky.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks

Phil

mateozzz
12-13-2009, 17:16
I just hiked MA in August and it is pretty easy, but can be mucky, especially the southern half. I would go south to north and start far enough south of Mt Greylock to match your goals, then end on the top of the mountain. Definitely need tents since the shelters aren't that big (or hammocks), unless you want to go cowboy.

Matt

Donnie
12-13-2009, 17:22
I guess I'll post it before everyone else does...

Please bring tents and don't rely on shelters located on the trail. Also, try to make sure your scouts are respectful of the trail and pack out everything they bring in.

With that aside, good luck with your trip. It is nice to see someone introducing younger blood to the trail (and yes, I am but 22).

-Donnie

Tinker
12-13-2009, 22:31
Most of the AT in Mass. is rocky and rooted. I'd suggest doing the central part if you have a hiker who has trouble with them. Mt. Greylock is quite a climb as is the Jug End and Mt. Everett and Race Mt. on the southern end.

Blissful
12-13-2009, 22:32
Lots of mosquitos. Bring DEET and good tents.

philly
12-14-2009, 22:39
thanks for responding. I think that we are going to start at the mass vt border and hike to the summit of Mt Graylock. I guess this will be the start of my section hike as well as the scouts in the troop. is 3 days enough time to get this done?

Philly