PDA

View Full Version : Picking Gear.

clarkfree
12-14-2009, 01:26
Ok yall My name is Clark and I have been thinking about this trip for 2 years. I had some real life stuff happen and I thought I was moving to CO so put my plans on hold. Well, im not going to CO anymore and have set a date for febuary 28th. I have done all my research and have most of the gear im going to need allready most of it is second hand but i have some new stuff also. My biggest concern is about my pack. here is a link to the pack i have currently http://reviews.overstock.com/9876/2015376/reviews.htm

Im concerned that it will not hold up for the whole trip and about space. I was thinking I could put my tent and therma rest on the sides but then if it rains on me im done because it certainly isnt water proof.

Here is a list of the other gear i am taking
http://www.rei.com/product/653573 water filter

clarkfree
12-14-2009, 01:34
guess you cant press enter to skip a line damn well here we go again
http://www.rei.com/product/781511 tent http://www.rei.com/product/781511 stove one change of cloths 3 nalgene water battles small toiletry kit small first aid kitt allways 5 days food Therma rest hiking poles several bandanas fuel bottle cellphone compass digi camera 4 pairs of socks gloves therma rest pillow

and another thing i have a +20 bag with a +10 Liner do yall think that wil be warm enough to start at the end of febuary.

I would appreciate any packing tips and your thoughts on if i should upgrade to a bigger or better pack.

thanks yall.

BrianLe
12-14-2009, 02:21
2-person tent at almost 5 pounds seems a little heavy to me, but it's not really clear what your gear priorities are --- it's also not clear if you already own that tent and stove or are asking for feedback on those particular units? You put the same link for the tent in lieu of the one for the stove, btw.

It seems like what you're looking for in particular is feedback on that pack, but there's not a lot of data on it, not even a weight given at the site in your first entry.

The capacity of the pack seems like plenty enough to me, always depending on your total gear list. Not a whole lot else to go on to give any sort of opinion, however. Given how inexpensive it is, it's always possible that it won't hold up, unless you can find some online reviews, no way to really know.

What's a "+10 liner" ? Perhaps you're talking about something like this:
http://tinyurl.com/yep9zzt ??
My suspicion is that what you have doesn't really add a true 10 degrees to your sleep system or that it's heavier than something I'd care to carry. But if you wear your warm clothes inside a 20 degree bag (and it's a true 20 degree bag ...), I'd guess you'll be warm enough in it, but there are really too many imponderables. Fortunately, it's winter time, hopefully you can find a cold night to test out your specific gear by sleeping outside and seeing for yourself!

I think the biggest peril in asking for or giving gear advice is a mismatch in expectations and priorities. For example, perhaps your focus is on serviceable durable gear at a reasonable price and you're okay with having a heavier overall pack weight. Or maybe your focus is keeping pack weight down, you accept that gear might be a bit less durable, and you're willing to spend some but not a ton of money. Etc etc. The better you declare your priorities --- as well as more specifics of the gear you're carrying --- the better the feedback you might receive. Meanwhile you might want to do some long walks with that pack fully loaded to see if you can at least force out any problems early on ...

ShakeyLeggs
12-14-2009, 02:40
The pack looks a bit sketchy to me. Here is a link to a bunch of packs in the $100 to $150 price range to keep the price at about what that pack goes for.

Packs (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/SubCategory___40000000226_200368421?ip_navtype=Adv ancedSearch&catFilter=&searchKeywords=200368421&ip_sortBy=&filters=Price%7E100-150%7E%24100-%24150%20%2826%29&ip_constrain=&pageSize=24&catType=&searchCategory=browsefilter&manNameFilter=&sizeFilter=&ip_state=&priceFilter=&currentPage=&colorFilter=)

clarkfree
12-14-2009, 03:38
Sorry for not being as clear as i should have. Thx for the advice allow me to restate.
Im willing to spend up to 1000$ more on gear. I want to know that it will last and dont really consider myself a minimalist. Im 6,3 and 210 pounds. I need gear that will last and hold the wate. here is what i have/dont have.

Msr Hubba tent Not sure if im going to bring it or not I want the hubba hubba so i can keep my pack inside to protect it from rain and other people. you never know.
pretty sure im going to get the hubba hubba msr tent.

I have a insul mat( brand on it) its a hammy down its comfy but ways 3 pounds pretty sure im going to get a basic therma rest.

I have my msr white gas stove. Still need a pot i have one picked out.

my bag is a Zephyr plus 20

I have a small basic first aid and toiletry bag

still need a windbreaker jacket am open to sujestions on that one.

im guying a new pair of boots this week

3 nalgines. not sure if thats adequit for my water supply what do yall think should i get a plader instead and go down to one bottle

I have a small wallet sized sewing kit

I have a compass and a good knife, trailmaps, and hiking poles.

im pretty sure thats it still need a bear bag and the water pump. but iv been told thats going to be taken care of by my family.

im also going to get a magnesium keychain rod and flint spark. emergency tender also. I consider myself a master firestarter but sometimes its worth it to be able to just make it happen.

and im going to wrap one of my bottles in duct tape for rips and tears.

I think that about covers it. Again let me know if im forgetting anything important and some feed back on the things im not sure about would be great. thanks again.

bigcranky
12-14-2009, 08:28
Starting in February guarantees at least some very cold weather. Just FYI.

Gear: If you have most or all of your gear, in my opinion the best thing to do is start hiking with it. And bring that $1000 with you. When you get to Neels Gap, 30 miles up the trail, you will find a terrific outfitter that specializes in long distance hiking gear. At that point, you will have a MUCH better idea of what works, what doesn't work, and what you need to replace. You'll be able to get things fitted by a professional with many years of experience.

Right now, replacing one tent with another, or one pack with another, based on looking at the specs online, doesn't really help. Having 3 or 4 days of using this stuff on the Trail will make a big difference.

Good luck.

bigcranky
12-14-2009, 08:30
Edit: I see you are in Atlanta. You could haul all of your gear up to Neels Gap this winter, before your start. Do the shakedown. I can't stress enough the amazing difference between a local outfitter (or worse, a big box sporting goods store) and a specialized hiking outfitter like Walasi yi, Mt Rogers Outfitters, etc.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 09:42
Here is my advice.
Lots of sales right now. That pack is not gonna be what you want. Granite Gear has some great packs for really cheap. Just have to find the sales. Go to the gear forum and look at the Xmas Sales thread for some of the deals. You will need a decent 15 degree bag. Get a decent tent under 3 pounds. Look at MSR, great tents. If you are willing to spend $1000 more on gear, you can get your big 4 under 15 pounds.

Go to a solid outfitter and get fitted for a pack and get the right pack. Go from there!

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 09:44
Edit: I see you are in Atlanta. You could haul all of your gear up to Neels Gap this winter, before your start. Do the shakedown. I can't stress enough the amazing difference between a local outfitter (or worse, a big box sporting goods store) and a specialized hiking outfitter like Walasi yi, Mt Rogers Outfitters, etc.

Good advice, drive up there and talk to them. Worth the trip! Dont go to a sporting goods store and try to stay away from the corporate types like REI. Find an outfitter. The MountainCrossings trip would really help you ALOT. You will learn a whole bunch about gear and packing

Hooch
12-14-2009, 09:51
I have to agree with some of the other responses. Since you're in Atlanta, it's probably about a 2 hour drive to Mountain Crossings in Blairsville, one of the most reputable, knowledgeable and best equipped outfitters along the trail. It'd be well worth your time before your hike to make the drive there and get your gear from the pros. Let Winton and his merry band get you squared away with everything you need. They take the guessing game out of it and make sure you have the right gear for your needs. Good luck.

white_russian
12-14-2009, 09:52
First off I agree with everything bigcranky has said. Mountain Crossings is a good place to go. He has very nice things and you pay full price, but he doesn't sell any straight up junk.

You say you are not a minimalist, but it always comes down to weight. I am not a gram weenie either, but every single thing that goes in my pack is considered against the weight of the competitive product. When you are carrying things for 2000+ miles weight matters.

Msr Hubba tent Not sure if im going to bring it or not I want the hubba hubba so i can keep my pack inside to protect it from rain and other people. you never know.
pretty sure im going to get the hubba hubba msr tent.

Could you not put your pack under your feet? I love doing this because it elevates your feet and makes them feel good. A new tent is pretty expensive too when you have a very nice one already. I know the Hubba is pretty tiny and you are a big guy so either way is good. Unless you get a amazing deal on the Hubba Hubba Just take the Hubba and see how you like it. You may end up liking to stay in shelters and the extra weight is just a burden. You can always buy up while you are on the trail and that goes for any piece of gear.

I have a insul mat( brand on it) its a hammy down its comfy but ways 3 pounds pretty sure im going to get a basic therma rest.

You are young and probably can sleep on anything. Just get a closed cell foam pad. It may not be as comfy, but its way cheaper, lighter, and more durable.

I have my msr white gas stove. Still need a pot i have one picked out.

White gas works, but it is a bit overkill most of the time and will weigh you down. It will be real nice in the cold beginning, but you may want to switch to something else later like a canister or alcohol stove.

my bag is a Zephyr plus 20

Never heard of it, probably not a true 20 deg bag, you will probably want a down 15 deg at least, see Mountain Crossings for good 800 fill down sleeping bag options, it will be expensive but its worth it.

im guying a new pair of boots this week

Trail runners, boots are not needed for this trail

3 nalgines. not sure if thats adequit for my water supply what do yall think should i get a plader instead and go down to one bottle

Gatoraide bottles are cheaper and lighter. I like to carry 4L capacity for camp, but 2L will usually do you for hiking. I like 2L in Gatoraide bottles and a 2L bladder.

I have a compass and a good knife, trailmaps, and hiking poles.

You don't need a compass, it won't do any good since all the mountains look the same. You can get a general direction from the sun and read your maps from that. What kind of knife?

im pretty sure thats it still need a bear bag and the water pump. but iv been told thats going to be taken care of by my family.

Pumps can freeze

im also going to get a magnesium keychain rod and flint spark. emergency tender also. I consider myself a master firestarter but sometimes its worth it to be able to just make it happen.

Fires are not necessary. If you have an adequate jacket and sleeping bag you can be hot without one. An extra Bic lighter or two is a good reserve but the magnesium keychain is unnecessary.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 09:52
I have to agree with some of the other responses. Since you're in Atlanta, it's probably about a 2 hour drive to Mountain Crossings in Blairsville, one of the most reputable, knowledgeable and best equipped outfitters along the trail. It'd be well worth your time before your hike to make the drive there and get your gear from the pros. Let Winton and his merry band get you squared away with everything you need. They take the guessing game out of it and make sure you have the right gear for your needs. Good luck.

Oh Hooch you are such a poet:D

mountain squid
12-14-2009, 09:54
Some observations:

hat
rain gear
long underwear
camp footwear
lighter sleeping pad
pack cover
check out antigravity gear (http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=MK3CNS&cat=114) for cooking pot (check out alcohol stoves also)
50' rope/cord
a sil-nylon stuff sack will suffice for bear bag
eating utensil
hand sanitizer
tp
headlamp/light source
whistle
guidebook (Companion (http://www.aldha.org/companyn.htm), Handbook (http://trailplace.com/hb_2010edition.html), The AT Guide (http://***************/))
instead of filter consider AquaMira (http://aquamira.com/consumer/aquamira-water-treatment-drops)
instead of heavy nalgenes consider water bladders and a hydration tube for drinking on the go
sunscreen (no leaves on the trees)
ear plugs
pencil and notebook

and, of course, don't forget ID/atm/credit cards.

Concur with bigcranky. Head to Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/) before you start for a shakedown.

Good Luck and Have Fun!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Hooch
12-14-2009, 09:55
Oh Hooch you are such a poet:DAin't I though? Make a rhyme every time. :rolleyes::D

toenail
12-14-2009, 10:33
I agree with big cranky, you need to go on a shakedown hike. Do not underestimate how cold it is in the mountains in Febuary. Your winter pack should not weight more than 30-35 lbs max. Two water bottles work best. good luck!

Blissful
12-14-2009, 16:10
Yep shake it down up at Neel Gap, esp if you have the $$. It would take a while to pair you down enough for a comfortable hike. But the weight has got to go down.

daylaandjasper
12-18-2009, 17:53
If you don't already have your pack- check out Aarn packs www.aarnusa.com (http://www.aarnusa.com)

the front pockets look silly but allow you to keep your center of gravity right where its at w/out a pack- you don't carry it- you wear it. I am a huge gearhead always on the search for the perfect piece of gear. I am done looking for a pack Aarn Featherlite Freedom is it. highly breathable, very comfortable, highly customizable fit- recently made available in the us (made in New Zealand) .

clarkfree
12-19-2009, 21:54
I dont think that particlular pack is for me. looks nice though.
I went to the store today to look at packs and was thinking in about the gregory denali pro but was told by a man at the store that it was way bigger than i need and wayed to much.

When looking for a pack i want a sleeping bag compartment and anything els is ok. I have bulky gear. can anyone please make some sudjestions for me. thanks again.

Connie
12-20-2009, 06:57
The pack is the last purchase, not the first purchase.

The pack has to be right for the gear that goes inside. Get that first.

The Equinox Katahdin (http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/packdetail.cfm/EQ2010) pack holds a large volume sleep system and gear.

But I have seen a big man carry 30-35 lbs. in the Vapor Trail (http://www.granitegear.com/products/backpacks/ultralight/vaportrail.html).

The more lightweight sleep systems are necessary however.

Either hammock shelter sleep system or a more lightweight sleeping bag or quilt and tarp or tarptent.

I think you need to find out if you are a warm or cold sleeper. I suggest a max-min thermometer and a rated sleeping bag and find out.

Try to rent a rated sleeping bag. REI rents.

But I am not impressed with owning a REI sleeping bag.

I would look at the closed cell foam sleeping mat from Jack's R Better and the Therm-a-Rest NeoAir and an enLIGHTened designs (http://enlightenedequipment.webs.com/) quilt.

Lightweight, lower volume in the pack and more versatile.

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-20-2009, 07:10
"Clarkfree" I agree with "Big Cranky". I'm in Atlanta as well - and the most productive thing you could do would be to haul your pack up to Mountain Crossings in Blairsville, GA (it's on Gainesville Highway - about 1 hr. north of downtown Atlanta - the AT crosses the road here at Neels Gap and actually goes through the building) and have the owner Winton Porter go through your pack with you. This will be quite an education - I assure you! You'll meet him again when you hike through there as it is at the 30 mile point for northbound hikers - and you'll probably make a few more revisions. That's the one thing I would do - that I didn't do - when I did my 2003 thru-hike! (P.S. - Winton is pretty busy nowadays - so call first to set up a time to meet with him first!). Good luck!

Sir-Packs-Alot
12-20-2009, 07:15
"Clarkfree" I agree with "Big Cranky". I'm in Atlanta as well - and the most productive thing you could do would be to haul your pack up to Mountain Crossings in Blairsville, GA (it's on Gainesville Highway - about 1 hr. north of downtown Atlanta - the AT crosses the road here at Neels Gap and actually goes through the building) and have the owner Winton Porter go through your pack with you. This will be quite an education - I assure you! You'll meet him again when you hike through there as it is at the 30 mile point for northbound hikers - and you'll probably make a few more revisions. That's the one thing I would do - that I didn't do - when I did my 2003 thru-hike! (P.S. - Winton is pretty busy nowadays - so call first to set up a time to meet with him first!). Good luck!
P.S. - see Winton before you make any more changes - or buy anything - or even overthink it. His advice will have an "avalanche effect" on your notion of what you need to pack and how, that will change everything. Restart from there - keep the stuff you can - replace some stuff - and come up with a game plan!