PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Thruhikes

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 10:31
Wondering, what are the benefits to having multiple thru's? Is it really that different each time?

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 10:32
I also know that there is great discussion on SOBO and NOBO. What about those that have done both?

Lone Wolf
12-14-2009, 10:35
Is it really that different each time?

yes it is.......

Lone Wolf
12-14-2009, 10:36
I also know that there is great discussion on SOBO and NOBO. What about those that have done both?

SOBO is much better

BrianLe
12-14-2009, 11:30
Wondering, what are the benefits to having multiple thru's? Is it really that different each time?

Sure, the PCT and the AT are different trails, and the CDT is different yet, and then there's ...

I.e., I'm with you. I know that some people thru-hike the same trail more than once, and no doubt it's different due to different alternate trails and towns, different people you meet, different weather pattern, and indeed SOBO vs. NOBO. But there are so many trails out there to walk, it wouldn't make sense to me to repeat a long trail until I've done a few others first.

Slo-go'en
12-14-2009, 12:07
If you got the time and money to kill, doing multipule thru's isn't a bad way to spend them.

I like to go out and hike for a month or two every year. Its my annual exersise program. April/May is a good time of year for me to get away, so I tend to go to the southern end of the AT a lot. Will likely do GA/NC *again* this spring.

Why keep going to the AT? Because its so damn conveniant. Just have to throw a few things into the pack, hop on a bus and be hiking the next day or so. Every year it is a little different - different people, different weather, something I didn't notice or stop to see the last time and so on. If I happened to live on the west coast instead of the east, I'd probably keep going back to the PCT.

Ewker
12-14-2009, 12:24
I haven't thru-hiked yet but as many trails as there are out there I wouldn't want to do the same trail multiple times. My plans once I retire or hit the lottery (hahahaha) is to do the AT first then the PCT next. Lots of shorter trail to do also like the BMT, Long Trail, Sheltowee Trace, JMT, etc.

ShelterLeopard
12-14-2009, 13:36

I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while. There are SO MANY cool trails and places. I'd like to do the CDT, at least part of the PCT, maybe the NCNST, Australia, Ireland (on the roads, from town to town), Switzerland, definitely, the pilgrim trail in Spain (cannot remember the name), lot of cool things to do out there.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 13:48
I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while. There are SO MANY cool trails and places. I'd like to do the CDT, at least part of the PCT, maybe the NCNST, Australia, Ireland (on the roads, from town to town), Switzerland, definitely, the pilgrim trail in Spain (cannot remember the name), lot of cool things to do out there.

I said the same thing before my thru. Not trying to be rude but Im asking people that have done multiple thru's of the same trail whether its NOBO or SOBO

Lone Wolf
12-14-2009, 13:51
I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!), but I'm pretty sure that I won't do it twice- at least, not for a while.

there's a pretty good chance you won't even do it once

ShelterLeopard
12-14-2009, 13:54
Gee, thanks for your confidence Wolf.

(Sorry chaco, wasn't sure about your question)

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 13:57

He is right! Most dont make it!

The title of the thread is Multiple thruhikes and how it is each time. That seems pretty straight forward

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 13:58
I haven't done my thru yet (February!!!),

It aint a thru til you finish. You will start your attempt at a thruhike in February. Dont get too far ahead of yourself;)

max patch
12-14-2009, 14:05

Statistically speaking, the comment LW made is entirely correct.

Johnny Thunder
12-14-2009, 14:10
Well Chac... we had a bit of this conversation when I was down here with you last Spring. I came down less than a year after finishing with you and Wak up in Maine and had my eyes opened.

I think that a second Thru-hike...so soon after the first...and NOBO for that matter...would be detrimental to your overall experience and love for the trail that I know you developed the first time around. It was hard for me to reconcile the fact that I was hiking with "thru-hikers" who didn't seem one bit like the professionals I imagined they'd be. See, we think of thru hikers as those highly developed folks we finished the trail with and these were like little "destructors" tearing their way North. Seriously, it was like all of Matty's little back of the tent paranoid mumblings had invaded my head. Because of all of the problems I saw I had a really hard time enjoying myself with one group of hikers and had to bounce around or start to feel really bad about the whole situation.

Contrast that with what I saw up North that very same year as part of my Long Trail hike...I ended up hiking in the same group...I mean, literally the same individuals were making their way North through Southern Vermont when I got there. And they had it going on. I finally felt comfortable around them.

In light of that: Yes, every thru-hike is different. And I feel like you need to be careful that your next one isn't a negative experience for the reasons I sort of danced around here. I realize that you have bigger things going right now than thinking about another hike so this really isn't a big issue for you. Just that if you'd do it again I'd strongly caution you against starting April 1st heading North.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 14:13
Well Chac... we had a bit of this conversation when I was down here with you last Spring. I came down less than a year after finishing with you and Wak up in Maine and had my eyes opened.

I think that a second Thru-hike...so soon after the first...and NOBO for that matter...would be detrimental to your overall experience and love for the trail that I know you developed the first time around. It was hard for me to reconcile the fact that I was hiking with "thru-hikers" who didn't seem one bit like the professionals I imagined they'd be. See, we think of thru hikers as those highly developed folks we finished the trail with and these were like little "destructors" tearing their way North. Seriously, it was like all of Matty's little back of the tent paranoid mumblings had invaded my head. Because of all of the problems I saw I had a really hard time enjoying myself with one group of hikers and had to bounce around or start to feel really bad about the whole situation.

Contrast that with what I saw up North that very same year as part of my Long Trail hike...I ended up hiking in the same group...I mean, literally the same individuals were making their way North through Southern Vermont when I got there. And they had it going on. I finally felt comfortable around them.

In light of that: Yes, every thru-hike is different. And I feel like you need to be careful that your next one isn't a negative experience for the reasons I sort of danced around here. I realize that you have bigger things going right now than thinking about another hike so this really isn't a big issue for you. Just that if you'd do it again I'd strongly caution you against starting April 1st heading North.

Yea my view changed as well. I know we had a good group. Seeing the hikers this year really made me think about how insane it is to be a thruhiker. Id never NOBO the AT again that is for sure. Too many people that dont give a damn about the trail tearing their way North by any means whatsoever.

Mags
12-14-2009, 14:18
I said the same thing before my thru. Not trying to be rude but Im asking people that have done multiple thru's of the same trail whether its NOBO or SOBO

I've only done one trail twice..and a relatively short trail at that (Vermont's Long Trail).

Some it felt the same as it was only two years apart (1997 and 1999). But I hiked the LT the year after I finished my AT thru. The trail was easier in 1999 than in 1997. (More experience, a little better shape, LIGHTER GEAR!). I enjoyed the experience more in 1999 overall.

I suspect if I did the AT or even the LT again a decade later, I would find the trail much different. Different people, different gear and (most importantly) different life experiences that would change how I would filter the trail.

Though the BMT is not strictly speaking the same trail as the AT, it is in the same general area. I was curious how I'd like the Southern Apps after so many years of being away and so many years of hiking out West. The BMT was a joy and was a trail I loved. Good to be back..

Again, I've only done one trail twice though I've thru-hiked multiple trails.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 14:28
I've only done one trail twice..and a relatively short trail at that (Vermont's Long Trail).

Some it felt the same as it was only two years apart (1997 and 1999). But I hiked the LT the year after I finished my AT thru. The trail was easier in 1999 than in 1997. (More experience, a little better shape, LIGHTER GEAR!). I enjoyed the experience more in 1999 overall.

I suspect if I did the AT or even the LT again a decade later, I would find the trail much different. Different people, different gear and (most importantly) different life experiences that would change how I would filter the trail.

Though the BMT is not strictly speaking the same trail as the AT, it is in the same general area. I was curious how I'd like the Southern Apps after so many years of being away and so many years of hiking out West. The BMT was a joy and was a trail I loved. Good to be back..

Again, I've only done one trail twice though I've thru-hiked multiple trails.
Im looking at a possible BMT thru maybe next summer. Thanks Mags

Lone Wolf
12-14-2009, 14:42

it's just the reality of it. truth

Blissful
12-14-2009, 14:53
I'm finding section hiking the AT now much more interesting. Enjoying the scenery. Looking forward to a major section hike in 2011 of ME to MA (though I wish it were a SOBO thru. Don't think my hubby will let me get away with that one)

Mags
12-14-2009, 15:03
Now that I think about it, I've hiked several sections of trails multiple times:

1) The AT portion of the Long Trail 3 times
2) Countless times the the sections of the Whites on the AT
3) a 50 mile stretch on the PCT when I did the TRT
4) Stretches of the CDT/CT many times in the Colorado mtns. I've lost track. :)
5) The CDT section of the CO trail 2x (CT in 2004, CDT in 2006)

The LT I already talked about. The other times it was like seeing an old friend.

When I hiked "my" mountains on the CDT, I was excited. I knew the mountains well and I knew I would be seeing my friends again soon.

Returning to the Whites various times (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_mojo/Itemid,/p,3/)since I've moved to Colorado, it was like going home. I cut my teeth in the Whites and still think of them as my spiritual home. It was where I learned to love the mountains and arguably where my life metamorphosed into its current mode.

Returning to the PCT on the TRT after seven years was interesting. So many memories flooded back. If the AT changed my life in many ways, the PCT confirmed how the next almost decade of my life would be.

A multi-month thru-hike on the same trail would of course be a different experience on many levels..esp after so many years have passed.

Fatman Running
12-14-2009, 17:01
Well...I haven't seen anybody who has provided an answer that answers the question of why do multiple thru-hikes, especially the same Trail. I did the AT in '77 and again in '82 and will probably see some of you out there next year as I begin a third trip. My first two trips were both northbound. For me, it is psychologically eaiser headed hoME then it is walking away from it. Also, the snow doesn't leave Maine until into late May, so it is nice to walk North with Spring and finish hoME in the Fall. My first thru-hike was one of adventure. Can remember pouring over the maps and guidebooks and what few books there were back then on the AT and dreaming of what it would be like. My second trip was more for getting my head screwed back on right. Had just gone through a divorce, two kids as well, and I started taking the path of alcohol, drugs and depression. For me, the Trail was a way to get away, re-evaluate and get myself straightened out. It worked. Now, I am contemplating a third hike. Probably head North again, but may head out later to avoid the crowds. Lots of reasons to do the Trail again, but it was the best times of my life and I met some of the best people ever as well as still have life-long friends from both trips. Any reason is the right reason so long as it is the right reason for you.

sheepdog
12-14-2009, 17:44
I just felt like walking

once I got across Greenbo County I headed for springer Mt.

once I got to Maine I turned around and walked back

when I got tired, I slept

when I got hungry, I ate

when I had to ...you know, I went

Then I became a shrimp boat captain

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 18:39
I just felt like walking

once I got across Greenbo County I headed for springer Mt.

once I got to Maine I turned around and walked back

when I got tired, I slept

when I got hungry, I ate

when I had to ...you know, I went

Then I became a shrimp boat captain
I just kept walking

A-Train
12-14-2009, 18:44
I asked this a few times in the last few years when I was grappling with whether to hike another hike (PCT-i did and loved it!) or to re-hike the AT. The repeat offenders usually agreed that each hike was very different-different people, experiences, places, weather, cirucumstances, etc.

I get that totally, and another AT or PCT hike for me would be a new opportunity to meet new friends, learn new things and go to places I overlooked the first time.

BUT, I could see quitting the 2nd time. Getting to that mental struggle after 3 months, or walking for the 10th day in a row thru rain, or dealing with chafing and blisters, and asking myself why I'm doing this again. I'm not sure I'd have the willpower I did the 2nd time.

There are so many other things I want to do, and the time to do it is getting harder and harder to come by....

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 18:50
I asked this a few times in the last few years when I was grappling with whether to hike another hike (PCT-i did and loved it!) or to re-hike the AT. The repeat offenders usually agreed that each hike was very different-different people, experiences, places, weather, cirucumstances, etc.

I get that totally, and another AT or PCT hike for me would be a new opportunity to meet new friends, learn new things and go to places I overlooked the first time.

BUT, I could see quitting the 2nd time. Getting to that mental struggle after 3 months, or walking for the 10th day in a row thru rain, or dealing with chafing and blisters, and asking myself why I'm doing this again. I'm not sure I'd have the willpower I did the 2nd time.

There are so many other things I want to do, and the time to do it is getting harder and harder to come by....

Im pretty sure that if I went NOBO again, Id quit. If I went SOBO, I think Id be ok. Then there is the other trail issue. I think I want to hike the PCT in a couple of years but I gotta graduate. I figure if I can graduate in 2.5 years, i may be able to convince Wakapak to let me hike the PCT, that is if she cant. I could definitely see the two of us making a run at the PCT. She has over 5000 miles on the AT so if she mentioned thruing the AT again, I might think she was crazy. :D

Montana AT05
12-14-2009, 19:29
Well Shelter, can you see a few trends in this "thru-hiker" community? Lone Wolf typifies one. And it isn't pleasant.

There are some who love to trample upon people's enthusiasm, and they have a host of excuses for why at the ready. Just wait and read.

Do you remember high school? Not so long ago no? Do you remember the silly politics of cliques? Ya. Same thing here.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 19:35
Well Shelter, can you see a few trends in this "thru-hiker" community? Lone Wolf typifies one. And it isn't pleasant.

There are some who love to trample upon people's enthusiasm, and they have a host of excuses for why at the ready. Just wait and read.

Do you remember high school? Not so long ago no? Do you remember the silly politics of cliques? Ya. Same thing here.

Wow you are funny!

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 19:36

Remember its a discussion forum.

Gray Blazer
12-14-2009, 19:39
Do not dis da wolf.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 19:44
Can we please just go back to the topic. PLease no more trolling and insulting people

Lone Wolf
12-14-2009, 20:01

you're so wrong. and i'm no part of any "community"

Hooch
12-14-2009, 20:04

Do you remember high school? Not so long ago no? Do you remember the silly politics of cliques? Ya. Same thing here.Yeah, right. My guess is that you've never actually met Lone Wolf and spent any time talking to the man. Not a nicer guy around. What you see about a person in cyberhiker land has nothing to do with who they really are.

Spirit Walker
12-14-2009, 21:15
I've done my repeats several years apart. The first time was four years after my first AT hike. I was curious as to whether it was really as good as I remembered. Second time around was even better. There was no concern as to whether or not I could finish, so I was more relaxed and enjoyed it better. Places that were familiar felt like coming home. Places that were new were a joy to discover. I did the CDT twice too. In that case it was seven years between hikes. We did it a different direction, and chose many alternate routes. Again, there was pleasure in revisiting places we had enjoyed the first time and the excitement of creating our own routes and exploring new places. This year we attempted a second PCT hike, nine years after the first. Again, second time around was better than the first. We knew what to expect, knew what we were capable of doing, and could relax and enjoy it more we did when we hiked originally. Then we were more concerned with the problems of the trail and whether they would prevent us from finishing. This time, we didn't care as much whether we finished in one year, so we enjoyed it more. Injury took us off the trail, otherwise we would have finished it, and enjoyed it.

There is a lot of pleasure in exploring a new trail or a new area. There is also joy in revisiting much loved trails and seeing how they differ and how they are the same. No two hikes will be exactly the same, even if you do follow the same route and go the same direction. We tend to look for alternatives, so we can be more in control of our hikes, not just following the herd, but even when we follow the same routes, enough is forgotten to make much of the trail feel new. For the AT especially, weather and company will vary enormous from hike to hike. Those who hike in a wet year will have a very different experience than those who hike in a dry one. Being part of a trail family or having a good partner will make for a different experience than if you hike solo. I love hiking, whenever and wherever. Yes, there are a lot of trails out there, but there is something special about the AT, PCT and CDT that makes them worth exploring more than once. In a way it seems that six months is not very long for the distance covered. You race through the mountains and the towns. Going back allows you to see things you didn't see the first time, or to see them with new eyes. Being a repeat offender may be crazy, but it can also be a lot of fun.

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 22:22
I've done my repeats several years apart. The first time was four years after my first AT hike. I was curious as to whether it was really as good as I remembered. Second time around was even better. There was no concern as to whether or not I could finish, so I was more relaxed and enjoyed it better. Places that were familiar felt like coming home. Places that were new were a joy to discover. I did the CDT twice too. In that case it was seven years between hikes. We did it a different direction, and chose many alternate routes. Again, there was pleasure in revisiting places we had enjoyed the first time and the excitement of creating our own routes and exploring new places. This year we attempted a second PCT hike, nine years after the first. Again, second time around was better than the first. We knew what to expect, knew what we were capable of doing, and could relax and enjoy it more we did when we hiked originally. Then we were more concerned with the problems of the trail and whether they would prevent us from finishing. This time, we didn't care as much whether we finished in one year, so we enjoyed it more. Injury took us off the trail, otherwise we would have finished it, and enjoyed it.

There is a lot of pleasure in exploring a new trail or a new area. There is also joy in revisiting much loved trails and seeing how they differ and how they are the same. No two hikes will be exactly the same, even if you do follow the same route and go the same direction. We tend to look for alternatives, so we can be more in control of our hikes, not just following the herd, but even when we follow the same routes, enough is forgotten to make much of the trail feel new. For the AT especially, weather and company will vary enormous from hike to hike. Those who hike in a wet year will have a very different experience than those who hike in a dry one. Being part of a trail family or having a good partner will make for a different experience than if you hike solo. I love hiking, whenever and wherever. Yes, there are a lot of trails out there, but there is something special about the AT, PCT and CDT that makes them worth exploring more than once. In a way it seems that six months is not very long for the distance covered. You race through the mountains and the towns. Going back allows you to see things you didn't see the first time, or to see them with new eyes. Being a repeat offender may be crazy, but it can also be a lot of fun.

Thanks SpiritWalker. Great feedback

sbhikes
12-14-2009, 23:37
I guess the reason to do multiple thru-hikes has less to do with novelty and more to do with lifestyle. I liked the lifestyle and the scenery of the PCT and want to live it again.

Dogwood
12-15-2009, 01:28

Well...I haven't seen anybody who has provided an answer that answers the question of why do multiple thru-hikes, especially the same Trail.

Well, ChacoTaco, I think some of the answer to your question can be found in why one hikes a trail. Is it just to accomplish a goal, attain a bragging right, experience something new for just one time, or could it possibly be that some enjoy long distance hiking for some other reason?

I see myself thruhiking the PCT, Sierra High Route, JMT again, but not because I want to post lots of trail acronyms after my trail name with all the multiple yrs I hiked these trails here on WB or anywhere else(actually I prefer not to do that) but because I love being out there - exploring, experiencing, challenging myself, seeking adventure, meeting old aquaintenances, seeking out new side adventures I might have missed the first time around, and seeing and being part of all those places, etc.

Although I'm not married, I guess it's kind of like still wanting to be with your lover after so many yrs. because he/she still stimulates you in so many ways!

stranger
12-15-2009, 03:01
Never done multiple thrus on the AT (have done two Long Trail thru's) but have hiked the southern 600 miles twice leaving nobo from Springer, 1995 & 2008. I really enjoyed hiking the same terrain again, seeing those towns again, experiencing different weather, people, outdoor trends, etc...

The same goes with the Long Trail, I enjoyed both hikes, but those two hikes were within 3 years of each other, while my southern AT hikes were many years apart, so the contrast was amazing in some ways, quite sad in other ways, but all interesting. Some things I remembered were much different the second time around, some were identical, new places, relocations (especially the bull**** one on Mt Albert in GA, the old route rocked!)

If there is one thing that stood out for me was how pampered hikers are today, not all of them, but many. I don't ever recall having a discussion back in 95 about taking time off due to "bad weather", which usually means rain. One morning last year I was packing up at Bald Mountain and someone said "you're actually going out in this" and I was perplexed, it was blowing rain, I said "what are you going to do" and they said stay put until it lets up, whats even more amusing was that Erwin was just 17 miles away.

In Damascus I took a few zero's to catch up with some friends I hadn't seen in a couple weeks, anyhow, I'm packing up the morning I left and again I hear "you're leaving, it's raining pretty hard" from a different hiker. Granted, leaving town in a downpour isn't exactly fun, but it's rain! Not lava...

Times have changed...

Helios
12-15-2009, 09:27
SOBO is much better

So, also, says Earl Shaffer.

Skyline
12-15-2009, 10:08
After finishing my eight-year section hike in 2003, I made a decision not to do it all again, as either a thru-hike or another section-hike. Instead, I decided to re-hike favorite sections of the AT more than once, and try to couple that with interesting side trails. Bonus points if it could create a loop hike with the AT.

So, in contrast with my "pure" eight-year hike, I've become a true-blue blue blazer! :D No regrets about either.

Also, there are a bunch of other trails here in the East, away from the AT, I've wanted to explore and I'm checking off the list slowly.

I can see a positive to thru- or section-hiking the AT all over again. It's a very social trail with a lot of off-trail community to visit again. There are "regulars" who seem to be out there hiking the AT every year who I would enjoy running into. You can connect with both by doing another 2,175-mile hike, or by doing favorite sections over again. And I've found that you actually do see new things right on the Trail each time--especially if you go in different seasons or go the opposite direction.

garlic08
12-15-2009, 10:24
As usual, Spirit Walker's post has the ring of truth. I especially agree with the part about being more relaxed and more confident. On my first thru hike, I had no idea if my body and/or mind would stand up to the demands. On my second (on a different trail), I knew they could so I relaxed and I enjoyed it even more.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2009, 12:05
I guess the reason to do multiple thru-hikes has less to do with novelty and more to do with lifestyle.

I think that nails it on head. If you liked life on the trail, doing another long hike is one of the few ways of continuing that lifestyle.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 17:34
I think that nails it on head. If you liked life on the trail, doing another long hike is one of the few ways of continuing that lifestyle.

Hmmmmmmmmmm:-?

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 18:15
Chaco:

Speaking only for myself, one of the great things about returning to the same trail each year is that I get to re-visit favorite places, including some I haven't seen in years and perhaps doubted whether or not I'd ever see them again.

And in addition to this, I still have a long list of places I've NEVER seen (i.e. views, blue-blazes, waterfalls, you name it) or places I've never camped at, and when I return to the A.T. , every year I get to see, visit, or camp at places that I somehow managed to miss.

So I agree with Lone Wolf. Even if it's a Trail or a section of Trail you've done before, it's always different somehow, especially if one goes out of the way to MAKE it diffrent.

And this isn't hard to do. Last year, and in 2007, while hiking in the South alone, I camped at dozens of places that I'd somehow missed over the years. In many cases, these were places close to a town; I'd always managed to speed by them as I was anxious to get to town by dark, or because I stayed overnight in a town, these places were too close, i.e. I always passed thru them in the morning when it was too early to stop for the day. By deliberately planning a different travel schedule, I managed to make sure I ended up at places I really liked (say Cheoah Bald or OverMountain Shelter) but I also ended up at places that were "new" to me in that I'd never camped there, never seen the sun set there, never was there at first light, etc.

Making return visits to the Trail "different" is not that tough to do.

Grampie
12-16-2009, 11:34
I have only done one thru-hike. I have returned to the AT to rehike many sections since then. I am always amazed at what I see the second time around that I didn't notice on my first pass.
I could definately see the advantages of knowing from the first thru and applying this knowledge again.:-?

Jim Adams
12-17-2009, 02:12
Hiked in 90 and again in 02. The second time around was so different than the first that it was like being on a different trail. Approximately 250 miles of relocated trail, 60 some less miles of road walk, different people, different town services, different attitudes....I loved both of them and can't wait to go again....definitely NOBO...I like the "group" hike headed north as well as the seasons. Tried the PCT...got 1000 miles....prettiest scenery that I've ever seen but didn't like the trail....I have a difficult time EVERY March not going to Springer for a thru hike!

geek

stumpknocker
12-17-2009, 10:24
There are some great answers here....Jim, Jack and Geek especially....and even Lone Wolf"s opinion of going south. :)

sbhikes
12-17-2009, 11:25
Yeah, nice thing about the sections I did over again on the PCT was that now I knew where the water was and didn't have to worry so much. I also knew where the campsites were so I had a better idea how far I could push myself.

nopain
12-17-2009, 12:13
Go for it ... I heard the samething .... At7 times pct 2 and the cdt 2010 ..there will all way's be a player hater...

stumpknocker
12-17-2009, 16:10
There are some great answers here....Jim, Jack and Geek especially....and even Lone Wolf"s opinion of going south. :)

Oops....sorry Ginny. I realized on my bike ride today that it was your post and not Jim's I was referring to. :)

YoungMoose
12-17-2009, 18:35
I would imagine that its like reading a book. If you read it a few time you get more things out of it each time.

Scooby99
12-17-2009, 19:03
Well, I've done the AT twice, my Dad has done it 4 times, the last time in '09, and from our hikes, it is different each time. Trail conditions, weather, seeing the same parts of the trail in different seasons, hitting different towns, meeting new people each time, makes each hike new and unique.

CrumbSnatcher
12-17-2009, 19:05
Well, I've done the AT twice, my Dad has done it 4 times, the last time in '09, and from our hikes, it is different each time. Trail conditions, weather, seeing the same parts of the trail in different seasons, hitting different towns, meeting new people each time, makes each hike new and unique.
----------------------------------------------------

mweinstone
12-17-2009, 19:16
some chocos get it. other chocos dont. walking the same trail from birth to death is done out of respect for the hike. new or other trails do not exist. i will hike this trail untill other trails are sending out shills to reel me in. i will walk only the at untill california falls to the sea. untill chocos are free. untill **** is allowed without astrics.i will hump this trail till ms comes home. biatches.

Jim Adams
12-18-2009, 02:43
Chaco:

Speaking only for myself, one of the great things about returning to the same trail each year is that I get to re-visit favorite places, including some I haven't seen in years and perhaps doubted whether or not I'd ever see them again.

And in addition to this, I still have a long list of places I've NEVER seen (i.e. views, blue-blazes, waterfalls, you name it) or places I've never camped at, and when I return to the A.T. , every year I get to see, visit, or camp at places that I somehow managed to miss.

So I agree with Lone Wolf. Even if it's a Trail or a section of Trail you've done before, it's always different somehow, especially if one goes out of the way to MAKE it diffrent.

And this isn't hard to do. Last year, and in 2007, while hiking in the South alone, I camped at dozens of places that I'd somehow missed over the years. In many cases, these were places close to a town; I'd always managed to speed by them as I was anxious to get to town by dark, or because I stayed overnight in a town, these places were too close, i.e. I always passed thru them in the morning when it was too early to stop for the day. By deliberately planning a different travel schedule, I managed to make sure I ended up at places I really liked (say Cheoah Bald or OverMountain Shelter) but I also ended up at places that were "new" to me in that I'd never camped there, never seen the sun set there, never was there at first light, etc.

Good post Jack...most reasons that I come back.

geek

Blue Jay
12-18-2009, 09:41

I agree with this sooo much that IMO making a return visit to the AT even remotely the same is close to impossible. I have backpacked the 3 states, Ct. Mass. & Vt. hundreds of times and the others many times, it's always very different. Different animals, plants and people (or lack of people in the winter). The level and type of light, smell and sound changes everything. If you just focus on the dirt path itself that is the only constant and as others have said even that has changed over the years due to relocs. I've always felt that someone asking why do you hike the same trail over and over, is like asking someone why they make love to the same person over and over. The answer is IMO that is simply the best way to spend the priceless moments of life. The paradox of great new and great old at the same time. :welcome

warren doyle
12-18-2009, 19:02
I like hiking the trail. With all my immediate family passed on (i.e., grandparents, parents, sister) the trail is the entity that has known me the longest. It reminds me of who I was was, who I am and who I will become.

Zoooma
12-22-2009, 03:57
i'm no part of any "community"

Is this not a community?

If so, with 22,000+ posts, I'd say you surely are a part of it!

Lone Wolf
12-22-2009, 07:21
Is this not a community?

no. it's an internet website

Zoooma
12-22-2009, 08:34
Is this not a community?

no. it's an internet website

Ohhhh, so this is the internet I've been hearing about? Cool.

com·mu·ni·ty
1 : a unified body (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community#) of individuals: as c : an interacting population of various kinds of individuals . . . in a common location f : a body of persons . . . having . . . common social . . . interests

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/community

mweinstone
12-22-2009, 09:11
you all hide the truth i will disclose but only for a hamburger with bacon.
we walk over the same trail for acalaids.you know. so folks wave and go, hey!instead of being a newbee, we get to look down on newbees. i love love love that part! and we can be mean and act like we know nothing if were asked directions. or we can take dudes chicks by being more comfortable in our skin. and we get preferencial treatment everywhere. like rideing up front and free run of private areas in hostels like the times i go upstairs at miss janets and read her diary all about her secret love for pirate.

Johnny Thunder
12-22-2009, 12:27
Did Geek just quote a dictionary? Soon someone's going to mention the holocaust...then this whole thing'll go to pieces.

mweinstone
12-22-2009, 12:57
you drunk yet?

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 12:57
Did Geek just quote a dictionary? Soon someone's going to mention the holocaust...then this whole thing'll go to pieces.

Oh man thats just awesome!!!!!

Chaco Taco
12-22-2009, 12:58
you drunk yet?

you high yet?

wakapak
12-22-2009, 14:07

it wasn't Geek that quoted it, it was someone else...sorry to burst your bubble man. :p

jersey joe
12-22-2009, 14:17
If I were to do another AT thru hike it would be to see how much faster I could do it. The same reason I would like to run another marathon.

weary
12-22-2009, 16:40
Yea my view changed as well. I know we had a good group. Seeing the hikers this year really made me think about how insane it is to be a thruhiker. Id never NOBO the AT again that is for sure. Too many people that dont give a damn about the trail tearing their way North by any means whatsoever.
I know it's terrible. Now if they carried maps, they would find all kinds of interesting things to look at and slow down. :-?

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 19:40
If I were to do another AT thru hike it would be to see how much faster I could do it. The same reason I would like to run another marathon.

I would do the exact opposite. I'd see if I could do it even slower.

Sly
12-22-2009, 20:58
[quote=Jester2000;937900]I

Right, once I'm out there, I'm never in a hurry to get back home.

jersey joe
12-22-2009, 22:32
[quote=Jester2000;937900]I

Right, once I'm out there, I'm never in a hurry to get back home.
Just because you hit the end of the AT doesn't mean you have to go home....turn around and keep hiking if that's what you want to do!

weary
12-22-2009, 22:53
[quote=Sly;937930]
Just because you hit the end of the AT doesn't mean you have to go home....turn around and keep hiking if that's what you want to do!
Great advice -- for those who may arrive at the end with no family, personal, or financial obligations. In the real world that happens only very rarely!

Jester2000
12-22-2009, 23:43
Good lord. What's going on here? Sly's quote attributed to me, Jersey Joe's quote attributed to Sly? It's madness, I say! Madness!

Chaco Taco
12-23-2009, 20:06
Things tend to happen in 3's. Im just sayin! Or it could just be madness:eek: