PDA

View Full Version : A.T. State Bird Challenge

Pages : [1] 2

emerald
12-14-2009, 14:08
Let's see if we can list the state birds for all 14 A.T. states and determine how difficult it would be to see or hear each bird on the A.T. in the state where it's recognized as state bird.

Pennsylvania's and New Jersey's state birds, ruffed grouse and goldfinch respectively have been mentioned here in the last few days. I could simply list the remaining 12, but I'm interested in getting others involved and looking for input from hikers who have knowledge of these birds in the designating states.

Who can list a state, it's state bird, the probability of sighting or hearing it and where someone might be most likely to pick it up?

sixhusbands
12-14-2009, 14:28
New Yorks state bird is the Bluebird and New Hampshire is the Purple Finch

Hooch
12-14-2009, 14:34
The official bird of the great state of North Carolina is the Cardinal. You'll see it all over the place, almost year round.

Shiraz-mataz
12-14-2009, 15:17
Of course Maryland's state bird is the ORIOLE! They have a really cool nest that hangs from a limb - good luck finding one!

Manwich
12-14-2009, 15:23
New Jersey's state bird is the Mosquito.

emerald
12-14-2009, 15:28
Of course Maryland's state bird is the ORIOLE!

After leaf-out, Maryland's state bird would be more likely to be heard than seen. For more information and to hear one, refer to All About Birds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Baltimore_Oriole/id).

They return to my local area just before leaf-out. Anyone have good information on when they may be seen on the A.T. in Maryland since it's the 1st bird to be listed which is not a permanent resident?

weary
12-14-2009, 15:40
For Maine it's the black capped Chickadee!

Cabin Fever
12-14-2009, 15:44
Tennessee's is the mockingbird, mockingbird.

Bulldawg
12-14-2009, 16:00
Georgia is the Brown Thrasher

emerald
12-14-2009, 16:07
We've almost completed our list. The remaining states are Virginia, West Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont.

Let's see if we can get someone from each of the remaining states to post his or her state bird.

Hooch
12-14-2009, 16:09
We've almost completed our list. The remaining states are Virginia, West Virginia, Connecticut, Massachusetts and Vermont.

Let's see if we can get someone from each of the remaining states to post his or her state bird.New Hampshire?

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 16:10
Of course Maryland's state bird is the ORIOLE! They have a really cool nest that hangs from a limb - good luck finding one!

Saw one near the battle field. Didnt know what it was at first but saw that bright orange. Really cool lookin bird.

emerald
12-14-2009, 16:11
New Hampshire?

Purple finch. Listed with New York by sixhusbands, post #2 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=933087&postcount=2).

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 16:12
Maybe do a thread with the state flowers too.

Hooch
12-14-2009, 16:15
Purple finch. Listed with New York by sixhusbands, post #2 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=933087&postcount=2).Oh my gosh, you are so right! How silly of me. :rolleyes: Woopsiedoodle. :D

Chaco Taco
12-14-2009, 16:19
Oh my gosh, you are so right! How silly of me. :rolleyes: Woopsiedoodle. :D

I got a bird for ya:D:D:D

emerald
12-14-2009, 16:22

I thought about that and trees too, but unfortunately some of the states made choices that would make completing the challenge by a hiker nearly impossible unless someone would plant the state tree or flower somewhere along the A.T.

I thought it might be easier for hikers to pick up the trees for instance until I looked at the list. Birds might be possible.

veteran
12-14-2009, 16:33
The Baltimore Oriole
Its preference is for open areas with tall trees, and they love oranges.

Migration Early May, Middle of September.

Male (http://birds.cornell.edu/celebration/birds/bird-guide/bird-guide-photos/BaltimoreOrioleLoewen.jpg)

Female (http://www.ebirdseed.com/blog/oriole_enh_400.jpg)

emerald
12-14-2009, 16:38
No one from Virginia knows its state bird?

ki0eh
12-14-2009, 16:49

I've cut plenty of PA's out of my section of the A.T. :D

johnnybgood
12-14-2009, 17:33
It's the Cardinal , same as North Carolinas' state bird except ours is prettier.;)

QuarterPounder
12-14-2009, 17:37

Virginia's state bird is the Cardinal... as is North Carolina.

emerald
12-14-2009, 17:37
I've cut plenty of PA's out of my section of the A.T. :D

If hikers happen to be on the A.T. in Pennsylvania at the right place and time, they might flush our state bird from our state flower and see it land in our state tree.

Hooch
12-14-2009, 17:45
It's the Cardinal , same as North Carolinas' state bird except ours is prettier.;)Our state bird may be the same, but always remember it flies in a Carolina Blue sky. :D

ki0eh
12-14-2009, 20:13
If hikers happen to be on the A.T. in Pennsylvania at the right place and time, they might flush our state bird from our state flower and see it land in our state tree.

Think the state toy (http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Pennsylvania/PA-state-toy-slinky.html) would work on the Showers Steps?

ShelterLeopard
12-14-2009, 21:53
New Jersey, reporting: NJ state bird is the Goldfinch. (Technically, the Eastern Goldfinch) I don't see this bird too often, actually- see blue jays much more.

I want to see the PA state bird- going to have my eyes open on the AT!

And Emerald- I invested in a couple of the Peterson's Guides (already had the leaf/tree/plant guides, now I'm getting the bird one!)

ShelterLeopard
12-14-2009, 21:54
No one from VT? I love the VT bird! (Hermit Thrush)

Bulldawg
12-14-2009, 22:16

Georgia--The coolest Flower of all the State Flowers--The Cherokee Rose.

Cookerhiker
12-14-2009, 22:59
As a recent former Marylander of 37 years residence, I find it embarassing that the State Bird is the Baltimore Oriole, not merely because of the ineptitude this century of our professional baseball team.

Rather IMO, a state bird should be a year-round resident of that state and not a wimpy summer resident who can't abide by the winters. So for MD, I'd rather see the Great Blue Heron. Other candidates would be black-capped chickadee, cardinal (already taken by too many states), and purple or goldfinch. The Mytle Warbler, as one of the very few warblers not taking sabbatical to warmer winter climes, is another candidate. For those who think a wading bird is inappropriate and the others are too small, how about the Eastern Bluebird?

At least MD has fitting choices for State Reptile (Diamondback Terrapin) and State Crustacaen (what else but the Blue Crab?). And the Black-eyed Susan certainly adds to summer enjoyment as our State Flower.

BTW, Vermont's state bird - the Hermit Thrush - is another part-time resident. They should designate the White-Throated Sparrow whose melodic songs grace the AT and LT highlands. And for New Hampshire, what's with the Purple Finch? Why not a Spruce Grouse which you will see on the AT in the Whites?

timebreaks
12-14-2009, 23:19
Despite being a New Yorker for a large portion of my life, I've only ever seen an Eastern Bluebird once, and not on the AT. Ironically, the only Eastern Goldfinches I've seen were in NY as well, despite being a Jersey girl for a while. I've seen an oriole in Jersey, chickadees EVERYWHERE, purple finches in NY, American Robins (CT's bird) also EVERYWHERE - even some confused ones around in the winter.

Cookerhiker
12-14-2009, 23:26
Our State Bird in Kentucky (my new home for the last 6 months) is the Cardinal.

Oh I forgot we're not an AT state.:o Does the Great Eastern Trail count?

weary
12-14-2009, 23:48
... a state bird should be a year-round resident of that state and not a wimpy summer resident who can't abide by the winters. .... the Black-eyed Susan certainly adds to summer enjoyment as our State Flower. .....
Yeah, right. Now tell us how many of those whimpy susans will still be blooming, come February. What a whimp of a flower?

emerald
12-14-2009, 23:56
We're still missing 3 state birds. Come on West Virginians!

emerald
12-15-2009, 00:02
Think the state toy (http://www.statesymbolsusa.org/Pennsylvania/PA-state-toy-slinky.html) would work on Showers Steps?

I can answer your question in 2 letters, no, but nice try.

timebreaks
12-15-2009, 00:08
Cardinals are the state bird for like, the middle third of the trail! Aren't there any other birds down there?

emerald
12-15-2009, 01:15
Georgia is the Brown Thrasher

According to All About Birds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/lifehistory), brown thrashers apparently do not overwinter in northernmost Georgia.

Anyone know when they might be seen or heard reliably by someone on the A.T.?

Bidwell
12-15-2009, 02:16
Georgia - Brown Thrasher
North Carolina - Northern Cardinal
Tennessee - Northern Mockingbird
Virginia - Northern Cardinal
West Virginia - Northern Cardinal
Maryland - Baltimore Oriole
Pennsylvania - Ruffed Grouse
New Jersey - Eastern Goldfinch
New York - Eastern Bluebird
Connecticut - American Robin
Massachusetts - Black-capped Chickadee
Vermont - Hermit Thrush
New HAmpshire - Purple Finch
Maine - Black-capped Chickadee

All these birds are so incredibly common ;-)

ki0eh
12-15-2009, 08:49
Does the Great Eastern Trail count?

If it did in PA, you'd see the state fish and the state conservation plant in addition to the state flower, tree, and bird. :)

emerald
12-15-2009, 08:56
All these birds are so incredibly common.;)

If you think so, accept the challenge! It may not be as easy as you think. If it is and you can list them all, you could be the 1st of many.

You may be missing one bird to which I alluded earlier. I'll need to check to see if I might be mistaken before posting it.

If [the GET counts] in PA, you'd see the state fish and the state conservation plant in addition to the state flower, tree, and bird. :)

Pennsylvania's state conservation plant can be observed on the AT at most if not all road crossings.:rolleyes:

ki0eh
12-15-2009, 09:36
Pennsylvania's state conservation plant can be observed on the AT.

In spots, yes, but on the MST/GET I need to mow kilometers worth of it. ;)

warraghiyagey
12-15-2009, 09:41
Despite being a New Yorker for a large portion of my life, I've only ever seen an Eastern Bluebird once, and not on the AT. Ironically, the only Eastern Goldfinches I've seen were in NY as well, despite being a Jersey girl for a while. I've seen an oriole in Jersey, chickadees EVERYWHERE, purple finches in NY, American Robins (CT's bird) also EVERYWHERE - even some confused ones around in the winter.
There was a big push in the '80s to get the bluebird population back. . . lot's of new houses put up for them. . . but they are fairly shy and you may only ever see one if you have one nesting near a hedgerow in your yard. . .
BTW, as of 2000, the bluebirds had become very populous again in NYS. . . :)

warraghiyagey
12-15-2009, 09:44
As for the Mass. state bird, chickadee. . . very friendly and always somewhere flitting about in the trees....year round. . .:sun

Cookerhiker
12-15-2009, 10:27
Yeah, right. Now tell us how many of those whimpy susans will still be blooming, come February. What a whimp of a flower?

Ah but the criteria are different for birds vs. flowers. For states that drop to freezing (i.e. all the AT states), no flower blooms year-round.

And most flowers only bloom for a short period anyway. At least Black-eyed Susans bloom for a few months in the summer unlike e.g. rhododendra who only bloom about 10 days. My favorite spring flower - the fringed phacelia - carpets the 3,000-4,000' levels along the AT in the Blue Ridge in May but only lasts about a week.

BTW I'm pleased that Maine designates the Black-capped Chickadee as the State Bird. Notwithstanding their small size, chickadees are hardy and fearless.

mudhead
12-15-2009, 12:11
No flushing required here.:) ME needs a better flower. Lupine maybe.

BTW I'm pleased that Maine designates the Black-capped Chickadee as the State Bird. Notwithstanding their small size, chickadees are hardy and fearless.

They are very vocal, very observant little birds. They can tell you alot about what is going on around you if you listen to them.

But MA has them. MA should have the bluejay.

harryfred
12-15-2009, 12:48
Your chances of flushing a ruffed grouse while coming through Michaux SF are real good any time of year. Come through in the spring and there is also a chance of seeing a male drumming. They put up special habitat areas for turkeys some are very close to the trail and the grouse like them also, similar diet. I have frequently seen turkeys, (the feathered ones:D) while hiking from here to Pine Grove Furnace.

Shutterbug
12-15-2009, 13:26
Connecticut - American Robin
All these birds are so incredibly common ;-)

For some reason I don't understand, the American Robins seem to have migrated west rather than south this year. Yesterday, I had 35 of them in my yard in Gig Harbor, WA.

emerald
12-15-2009, 15:03
As for the Mass. state bird, chickadee. . . very friendly and always somewhere flitting about in the trees....year round. . .:sun

Unlike the other 13 A.T. states, Massachusetts has a state game bird (http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cismaf/mf1a.htm) (scroll down), its wild turkey.

How a 2nd state bird figures into the challenge is an issue which needs to be resolved. Must a hiker find only a chickadee, both birds or either of the two? Maybe a Massachusetts wild turkey could be used to offset a migrant missed out-of-season elsewhere.

emerald
12-15-2009, 15:15
West Virginia is an interesting case. The state bird is a common permanent resident, but there's not much time available to pick it up. Fortunately, if you don't get it on the 1st opportunity, there's a 2nd chance.

If someone is really lucky, a northern cardinal will land in the middle of the trail on the common line with Virginia.:)

Cookerhiker
12-15-2009, 16:28
.....But MA has them. MA should have the bluejay.

Doesn't Blue Jay live in NY?

mudhead
12-15-2009, 17:21
MA can adopt the Stellar Jay.:)

Not that Blue Jay isn't stellar...

warraghiyagey
12-15-2009, 17:35
Seems to me Maine would do well to have the Loon as it's state bird. . . :sun

emerald
12-15-2009, 17:48
Well, we could select a different bird for the A.T. State Bird Challenge, but you know how politics can get. Maine did put a loon on its license plates. What do Mainers think?

Question: Are multiple polls in a thread possible?

Bidwell
12-15-2009, 18:06
If you think so, accept the challenge! It may not be as easy as you think. If it is and you can list them all, you could be the 1st of many.

Hermit Thrush is tough(er) to spot simply because they blend in so well and from what I remember they hang around the ground. However, their songs are very distinct.

The Oriole is a tougher find, but I've seen them on the approach trail in GA.

I don't know if I've ever seen a Brown Thrasher on the trail, but they used to walk around my front yard in downtown Atlanta.

All other state birds are pretty common though. At least I've seen them a lot!

mudhead
12-15-2009, 18:37
Well, we could select a different bird for the A.T. State Bird Challenge, but you know how politics can get. Maine did put a loon on its license plates. What do Mainers think?

Chickadee plate is best. Too many "Why do you have a duck on your tag?" for my taste.

MN has the loon. Fair hair, too.

emerald
12-15-2009, 18:39
The Oriole is a tougher find, but I've seen them on the approach trail in GA.

All other state birds are pretty common though. At least I've seen them a lot!

Orioles in Georgia are just practice. On the Georgia A.T., you must find a brown thrasher and on the Maryland A.T. only a Baltimore Oriole counts toward the bragging rights.

So, I didn't see anywhere in your post you had accepted the challenge. All I noticed was was a bunch of bravado. Do you need a greater challenge? I believe we could accomodate your special needs.:-?

I have just the bird in mind. There are only 2 places on the A.T. where it can be found by someone who's incredibly lucky or is there at the right time and has a lot of time to look for it.

emerald
12-15-2009, 19:06
Chickadee plate is best ...

That's not what I asked. Do you think the A.T. State Bird Challenge should have the loon as Maine's bird or leave it up to the legislature to decide?

Bidwell
12-15-2009, 19:33
I thought the challenge was naming the state birds, I must have read over the part where I had to see each bird on the AT in their home state! Yikes!! Sounds like a difficult challenge! :)

mudhead
12-15-2009, 19:48
Put down both for ME. Unless you are asking something different again.:)

emerald
12-15-2009, 20:03
That works and would be less controversial. Normal common loon arrival and departure dates if they're handy please.

emerald
12-15-2009, 20:09
I thought the challenge was naming the state birds, I must have read over the part where I had to see each bird on the AT in their home state!

The first part was the easy part. You could do the rest too.

The actual field exercise could be worked on by individual through hikers or teams in the course of a single 2000-mile hike or over a lifetime of hiking. WhiteBlaze could also work on it as a team or teams maybe even competetively somehow.

mudhead
12-15-2009, 20:09
Mid May.

End of November.

Or: After the ice goes out, before the ice up.

Chickadees hang like the rest of us, so we can crab about the weather.:)

emerald
12-15-2009, 20:16
Works for calendar year 2000 milers hiking in either direction. By the way, loons have been sighted on Blue Marsh Lake recently.

emerald
12-15-2009, 20:27
Do loons continue to call until they depart?

mudhead
12-15-2009, 20:31
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plongeon_catmarin_oisillon.jpg

Bird column in the paper about these. I still am not sure if I saw two, or if they were any one of a number of shore birds that plop down in fresh water. What I saw had alot of white on the back.

Common Loon should do for the state.:)

Bulldawg
12-15-2009, 20:52
According to All About Birds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Brown_Thrasher/lifehistory), brown thrashers apparently do not overwinter in northernmost Georgia.

Anyone know when they might be seen or heard reliably by someone on the A.T.?

I've seen them around the house here (20 air miles from the bulk of the trail in Georgia) in the spring and summer. So I'd say spring and summer.

emerald
12-15-2009, 22:06
It's an interesting bird. I'm concerned it could be difficult to pick up on the A.T. for someone departing for Katahdin in winter. Might there be reliable places to locate one at lower elevations before beginning?

A challenge should be challenging, but I would like to come up with a challenge most can achieve with a reasonable effort including sharing information.

Watch for one and let us know when you next see one, would you?

veteran
12-15-2009, 22:19
Your chances of flushing a ruffed grouse while coming through Michaux SF are real good any time of year. Come through in the spring and there is also a chance of seeing a male drumming. They put up special habitat areas for turkeys some are very close to the trail and the grouse like them also, similar diet. I have frequently seen turkeys, (the feathered ones:D) while hiking from here to Pine Grove Furnace.

When you flush a ruffed grouse, you are just about to step on it and will scare the Shnit out of you.

weary
12-15-2009, 22:38
Unlike the other 13 A.T. states, Massachusetts has a state game bird (http://www.sec.state.ma.us/cis/cismaf/mf1a.htm) (scroll down), its wild turkey.

How a 2nd state bird figures into the challenge is an issue which needs to be resolved. Must a hiker find only a chickadee, both birds or either of the two? Maybe a Massachusetts wild turkey could be used to offset a migrant missed out-of-season elsewhere.
Well, I saw both on my belated walk through Massachusetts. I'd seen and loved chickadees all my life. The first wild turkey I ever saw was in Massachusetts in 1995. Now, they wander across my lawn quite often, enroute to who knows where.

Weary

weary
12-15-2009, 22:46
That's not what I asked. Do you think the A.T. State Bird Challenge should have the loon as Maine's bird or leave it up to the legislature to decide?
I say, go for the loon. Politics (i.e. "the legislature") shouldn't be mentioned on a hiking site.

Weary

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 09:38
Common Loon should do for the state.:)

I say, go for the loon.
Weary

:sun:sun:sun . . . I like it. . . . I'm a big fan of the Merganser too. . . shared some very beautiful moments with them on the lakes these last four years. . .

Nasty Dog Virus
12-16-2009, 10:55
I hate our state bird! Just hate it! Those stupid grouse lie in wait next to the trail waiting to scare the s#*t out of hikers as they go by. I think they do it for fun. People should eat more grouse...

ki0eh
12-16-2009, 11:31
One time I flushed a grouse and it took off at normal speed for about 10 yards and kloncked right into a tree trunk. Then it took off again, a little slower and 135 degrees off its previous heading. Didn't know whether to laugh or cry!

emerald
12-16-2009, 13:26
Does anyone know why the purple finch was chosen by New Hampshire?

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 13:42
I don't know- aren't they more commonly seen in Louisiana? Not quite sure about that, need to check my facts...

And I know that there was controversy about the choice of the purple finch for a while.

emerald
12-16-2009, 15:00
If you find anything ShLep, let us know. All I can come up with is this page (http://www.nh.gov/nhinfo/bird.html). We'll need to hear from WhiteBlaze's resident experts too before we can settle on a New Hampshire bird and move on to Vermont.

As for those hecklers from Pennsylvania on my friends list disparaging our state bird, don't you worry about them. I'd tell them to hold their water, but I know what would happen and I'll deal with them when we get there.

If we're to have an A.T. Bird Challenge worthy of our efforts, it will require a consensus and taking one step at a time SOBO. We'll need some momentum before we tally the tougher birds south of the Mason-Dixon line.:D

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 17:05
I read an article about the "controversy" about the NH bird, I'll see if I can find it...

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:07
Cuz they liked that choice best??

emerald
12-16-2009, 17:11
Cuz they liked that choice best??

I'm sure they did. I'd just like to know why, okay?

Maybe it's something about Pennsylvanians. Hikers are already lining up down there to challenge it's bird, but I'm not worried.

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:14

I don't doubt they did. I'd just like to know why, okay?

Maybe it's something about Pennsylvanians. Hikers are already lining up down there to challenge it's bird, but I'm not worried.
I got 20 bucks on the bird. . . .:D

emerald
12-16-2009, 17:45
I know it may be a long shot, but I'm partial to the white-throated sparrow and I'd like to retain the hermit thrush for Vermont.

We need a thrush on our list. According to some, the hermit thrush has the best voice of them all and Vermont may be the best place for hikers to hear them.

If you can see things my way, I'd be all for Massachusetts keeping its chickadee. Everyone likes chickadees and we already asked Maine to give up theirs.

Let's not get Mainers riled. We managed to get to New Hampshire before woodsy had any idea what transpired. Help me get beyond the Whites.

Cookerhiker
12-16-2009, 18:00
.....And for New Hampshire, what's with the Purple Finch? Why not a Spruce Grouse which you will see on the AT in the Whites?

Yeah, I already raised this and I'd still vote for the Spruce Grouse for NH. But of course not being a resident there, I don't have a note.

As the same post noted, I'd also advocate the white-throated sparrow for VT. The first time I ever heard one was hiking up Killington on my second backpacking trip in 1978. The beautiful melodic song still resonates.

Perhaps your poll should be what should be the state bird for each AT state.

woodsy
12-16-2009, 18:08
Thought the Maine state bird was the Blackfly , someone must have been pulling my leg all these years, heck we even have a beer named after it :
http://centralmaine.mainetoday.com/images/blk_fly.gif

emerald
12-16-2009, 18:10
I'd also advocate the white-throated sparrow for VT.

Are you suggesting we don't need a thrush on our list or do you think it reasonable to do a thrush swap south of Massachusetts?

emerald
12-16-2009, 18:14
Thought the Maine state bird was the Blackfly, someone must have been pulling my leg all these years ...

Someone was, flies are invertebrates. Our chosen bird's the loon and I promise they'll be returned to you on time this year. We like them too and you do have them when they're dressed in their more formal courting attire.

weary
12-16-2009, 19:07
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Plongeon_catmarin_oisillon.jpg

Bird column in the paper about these. I still am not sure if I saw two, or if they were any one of a number of shore birds that plop down in fresh water. What I saw had alot of white on the back....
Loons tend to winter on the coast. From time to time I suspect I've seen them in January and February. But I don't canoe much in the winter. And from a distance swimming loons are easily confused with cormorants.

Weary

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 19:09
I doubt Woodsy would have a problem with the Loon bein Maines bird. . . . :)

Cookerhiker
12-16-2009, 20:31
Are you suggesting we don't need a thrush on our list or do you think it reasonable to do a thrush swap south of Massachusetts?

Well I certainly enjoy the thrush's song - it's one of the most musical of all birds. But I stand by what I said earlier -state birds should be year-round residents. Especially in New England - shouldn't those birds hardy enough to endure the winters merit additional respect and consideration?

Cookerhiker
12-16-2009, 20:34
Loons tend to winter on the coast. From time to time I suspect I've seen them in January and February. But I don't canoe much in the winter. And from a distance swimming loons are easily confused with cormorants.

Weary

One year I saw loons off the Cape May NJ coast in February. At first I didn't believe it although their profile is quite distinct. Consulted Sibley which confirmed that they were loons.

mudhead
12-16-2009, 20:52
We need a thrush on our list.
Conneticut

[QUOTE=weary;934391]Loons tend to winter on the coast. From time to time I suspect I've seen them in January and February. But I don't canoe much in the winter. And from a distance swimming loons are easily confused with cormorants.

Weary
These were maybe 10 days ago in fresh water, from shore. Red spot on throat. Head and posture was right, but alot of shore birds now and then. Was a very grey day, hard to focus on the body color.

Do have one loco bird that hangs in salt water nearby. Only hear it in the dead still of night, or when it flies over.

Well I certainly enjoy the thrush's song - it's one of the most musical of all birds. But I stand by what I said earlier -state birds should be year-round residents. Especially in New England - shouldn't those birds hardy enough to endure the winters merit additional respect and consideration?
I agree. Wood thrush doesn't look like much, but it does make you smile.
I can go with the year round thing. You do have to be a "bird" to live in Maine.

emerald
12-16-2009, 23:26
Connecticut

Are you pointing out we already have another? Actually we have 3 thrushes on the list provided by the A.T. states. We could substitute a wood thrush for Connecticut's robin or New York's bluebird were we to opt for the white-throated sparrow as Vermont's bird.

In attempting to distinguish amongst thrush songs, it's entirely possible hikers will hear a hermit thrush. I'm not aware of a law against listening to thrushes in Vermont and I wouldn't think listening to them would keep anyone from hearing white-throated sparrows.

Connecticut might be 3-4 days for most people. Everyone ought to be able to hear a wood thrush in that time frame, no? Would the earliest hikers beginning in Georgia arrive too early or the later southbounders from Katahdin too late to pick up a Connecticut wood thrush?

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 23:46
[quote=emerald;934307]

I agree. Wood thrush doesn't look like much, but it does make you smile.
I can go with the year round thing. You do have to be a "bird" to live in Maine.
Wood thrush is sweet music all day long in the northeast. . . :sun

emerald
12-17-2009, 00:06
Sure would like to have some input from New Hampshire residents.:welcome

veteran
12-17-2009, 11:11
Sure would like to have some input from New Hampshire residents.:welcome

If you could pry Jack out of the 5 Olde Tavern (http://assets.urbanspoon.com/w/s/MQ/KbctlzhSSu0Qgp-640m.jpg), he could check outside to see if there are any birds. :D

woodsy
12-17-2009, 11:18
MH: I can go with the year round thing. You do have to be a "bird" to live in Maine.
We do have our fair share of year round resident "Loony Bins"

emerald
12-17-2009, 15:21
Friday I plan to start a new thread linked to this thread for the purpose of discussing New Hampshire's state bird. A discussion of no more than 2 days will ensue after which a poll will be taken.

Snowleopard
12-17-2009, 22:38
In the morning, I plan to start a new thread linked to this thread for the purpose of discussing New Hampshire's state bird. A discussion of no more than 2 days will ensue after which a poll will be taken.

NH's state bird is the black fly, no matter what the legislature may have voted.

Cookerhiker
12-18-2009, 12:25
I don't recall anyone mentioning woodpeckers anywhere in this discussion and yet as forest-dwelling birds, several species are found year-round along the entire AT - Downy, Hairy, Pileated. Red-bellied and Yellow-shafted flickers are found in most states and the beautiful but more elusive Red-headed is also along the AT (IMO, the Red-headed should be the National Bird because its colors match the flag perfectly).

Any other woodpecker fans out there?

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 13:21
Any other woodpecker fans out there?
I've actually seen a few Ivory-billed Woodpeckers along the way. . . :sun

emerald
12-18-2009, 13:23
Wargy is particularly fond of ivory-billed woodpeckers, isn't he?

I enjoy encountering pileateds and wouldn't mind seeing more.

The red-headeds I've seen lacked a blue field. They might be flag-colored against a blue sky, but I usually only see stars at night.

Think about gray jay as New Hampshire's bird. I'll have the thread up for the weekend.

Cookerhiker
12-18-2009, 18:38
I've actually seen a few Ivory-billed Woodpeckers along the way. . . :sun

Along with sabor-toothed tigers and wooly mammoths.

weary
12-18-2009, 20:05
Along with sabor-toothed tigers and wooly mammoths.
Almost certainly yes. There is very little that warraghiyagey can't imagine. It's a marvelous talent that he has.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 22:33
http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2008/6/21/633496335450082779-platypus.jpg

weary
12-18-2009, 23:04
Whatever. I don't claim to be a know-it-all. I do sense I have a bit of acquired wisdom, that others might benefit from.

So when someone asks a sensible, English question. (the only language I know, despite four years of "first year French,") I try to answer.

Weary

emerald
12-19-2009, 10:48
To participate in the discussion leading up to the poll Sunday, December 26, 2009, click on the link.

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=935928#post935928 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=935928#post935928)

DrRichardCranium
12-19-2009, 10:50
Massachusetts state bird is the black-capped chickadee.

emerald
12-19-2009, 10:59
I believe there's considerable interest in retaining it as Massachusetts' AT State Bird. It's a fairly common and popular bird in a shorter AT state.

mudhead
12-19-2009, 13:20
http://www.nwf.org/nationalwildlife/images/012008/photocontest-_pileated_woodpecker_07.jpg

Good entertainment.

emerald
12-20-2009, 22:40
Incumbent Bird - Hermit Thrush (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush/lifehistory)

Challengers - White-Throated Sparrow (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/lifehistory)

emerald
12-21-2009, 12:19
Nominating committees for Connecticut and New York are now being populated. Anyone who has experience with AT birds in these states is invited to participate.

Send names of anyone who may be willing to help put together a list for consideration or send your nominations by PM.

These states and the birds to be considered will be discussed in sequence as we journey southbound, one step at a time.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 15:05
Nominating committees for Connecticut and New York are now being populated. Anyone who has experience with AT birds in these states is invited to participate.

Send names of anyone who may be willing to help put together a list for consideration or send your nominations by PM.

These states and the birds to be considered will be discussed in sequence as we journey southbound, one step at a time.
I grew up in upstate New York and while the state bird (eastern blue bird) holds a special place in my heart. . . I might vote for the evening Grossbeak that colored my yard on many winter mourns. . . or the Robin that truly Did signal spring. . . or the scarlet tanager that was THE find if you happen to enjoy birds. . . or the Cedar Waxwing, the Pine Grossbeak, or the very rarley seen Indigo Bunting which I've seen only a handful of times. . .
I'm voting for the Evening Grossbeak. . . . They're beautiful. . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 15:33
Thank you for your nomination. What do you believe to be the probability of Springer to Katahdin hikers or their counterparts headed south observing your bird? If it's more apt to be heard than seen, do you believe it's a song easily learned and distinuished in the field by beginning bird watchers?

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 15:36
Thank you for your nomination. What do you believe to be the probability of Springer to Katahdin hikers or their counterparts headed south observing your bird? If it's more apt to be heard than seen, do you believe it's a song easily learned and distinuished in the field by beginning bird watchers?
That's a good question. . . and point . . . . I think they might be a little further north during hiking season . . . :)

emerald
12-21-2009, 15:47
Do you think there's enough open country where bluebirds might be observed by New York AT hikers? I see them regularly whenever I walk near my home, but that doesn't count.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 15:50
Do you think there is enough open country where bluebirds might be observed by new York AT hikers. I see them regularly whenever I walk ner my home here, but that doesn't count.
Not really. . . while they have had a renaisance in the last 20 years in NY, they still are mostly found near homes with bluebird boxes and once the babies have left the nest they are pretty much impossible to track. . . . they're cagey survivors. . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 15:53
So should we look into other birds or build bluebird boxes along the New York AT?

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 16:03
So should we look into other birds or build bluebird boxes along the New York AT?
Well, not really. . . the bird population in NY is as such. . . . it should naturally be what folks who have been in NY would vote for. . . . I'm stickin with the Evening Grosbeak. . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 16:11
The point of this endeavor is to challenge NY hikers with birds not skunk them.:)

emerald
12-21-2009, 16:34
Meanwhile, as the New Hampshire contest winds down and we approach the Connecticut River, it's time to take up once again the topic of Vermont birds.

emerald
12-21-2009, 20:25
Incumbent Bird - Hermit Thrush (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Hermit_Thrush/lifehistory)

Challengers - White-Throated Sparrow (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/White-throated_Sparrow/lifehistory)

I believe the next challenge may involve more of a singing contest and a history lesson.

Having listened to the recordings provided on All About Birds (linked above) yesterday, I must say I'm disappointed. Maybe it's my sound card and speakers, but what I heard did not impress as these songs should.

I will listen to my Peterson's Guide recordings again and report back on the quality of them. Still, there's nothing like a live performance on Vermont's Long Trail -- I mean the AT.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 20:27
The point of this endeavor is to challenge NY hikers with birds not skunk them.:)
Oh. . . . . I really don't get this game. . . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 20:36
There must be rewards for one's efforts. The objective of the AT bird challenge is to get hikers interested in birds or maybe even to get bird watchers interested in hiking and supporting trails. Only the most ardent of bird watchers look for Ivory-billed Woodpeckers.

emerald
12-21-2009, 20:46
Where have all The Long Trail hikers gone? We need them now to relate their experiences involving birds and their songs.:)

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 20:47
My experience on the LT is that they only have Rain Birds. . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 20:48
Do we want to know what a Rain Bird is? Maybe we should take a chance, tell us.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 20:49
Do I want to know what a Rain Bird is?
It's the only bird they have on the long trail. . . . . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 20:55
Why, are all the others now extirpated? I recall seeing and hearing more than one species.

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 20:55
they're all rain birds on the long trail. . . .

emerald
12-21-2009, 21:02
Will you be telling us anytime today what a rain bird is?:rolleyes:

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 21:08
Will you be telling us anytime today or continuing to pad your post count?:rolleyes:
Well everybody other than you has figured out that I meant it's very rainy up there. . . does that help?

emerald
12-21-2009, 21:17
I have seen sunny days in Vermont.:sun Are the birds seen then not the same?

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 21:22
Editing and toning down a post seems to be an effective way to get you to post.

I have seen sunny days in Vermont.:sun Are the birds seen then not the same?
I wouldn't know. . . .:(

emerald
12-22-2009, 11:49
Wargy, what do you think of keeping Massachusetts' state bird as its AT bird? It's a shorter state and a common and popular bird. I'm inclined to just ask the question in a poll and vote it up or down and see what comes of it, but I'd like to settle Vermont 1st.

There's also the issue of what to do about the wild turkey. Ben Franklin wanted it as our national symbol and the turkey has played and continues to play an important role in our culture. Should we list it as an alternate?

warraghiyagey
12-22-2009, 11:53
I don't really have an AT slant on the Mass bird. . . I've only hiked into Dalton, roughly the halfway point, and the chickadee is one of my favorites from back in the day. . . seems a good choice.
3 years in Mass haven't really made me notice other birds as much, except seagulls, which a will NOT vote for. . .

warraghiyagey
12-22-2009, 11:53
Although I have seen Loons here getting a break by the shore on their way south . . . :sun:sun:sun:sun

emerald
12-22-2009, 11:55
Could you back up and take a look at what I added to my last post regarding the wild turkey?

warraghiyagey
12-22-2009, 12:58
I've seen many more wild turkys in NY, northern vermont, Maine. . . never seen one in Mass. . .

emerald
12-22-2009, 13:15
Should we ignore the wild turkey for purposes of the Massachusetts AT bird challenge, simply mention Massachusetts has designated a game bird, include it as part of the challenge or count it in lieu of BCC should someone not observe it?

mudhead
12-22-2009, 13:18
Whatever you pick it needs to fly like beejeezus on the left side of the road only.

emerald
12-22-2009, 13:20
No doubt you're absolutely right.

warraghiyagey
12-22-2009, 13:21
Should we ignore the wild turkey for purposes of the Massachusetts AT bird challenge, simply mention Massachusetts has designated a game bird, include it as part of the challenge or count it in lieu of BCC should someone not observe it?
This is entirely more complicated that my experience with birds ever needs to be. . .

emerald
12-22-2009, 13:37
People who don't know what they're looking for more often than not don't find it and if they do they're apt to not recognize it when they see it.

We're only talking about a checklist of 14 birds people are apt to see on the AT which would likely be appended to an article I'd write with input I'm now attempting to gather.

People ask about AT "challenges" at least annually. I thought we might give them one.

The New Hampshire AT Bird poll resulted in no small amount of information being pulled together as well as some 1st-rate images. I thought it a huge success.

I envision the same or an increasing level of participation as we work our way south with new contributors participating as we move into new states.

weary
12-22-2009, 17:03
I've seen many more wild turkys in NY, northern vermont, Maine. . . never seen one in Mass. . .
I saw my first wild turkey in Massachusetts. Now they wander across my lawn in flocks of 7 or 8 from time to time.

Cookerhiker
12-22-2009, 17:19
...We're only talking about a checklist of 14 birds people are apt to see on the AT which would likely be appended to an article I'd write with input I'm now attempting to gather.....

OK, let me get a handle on the criteria:

It's not sufficient that the bird is seen in the State; it must also be seen on the AT in said state (any season, not just when NOBO thrus pass through). And BTW, the Great Blue Heron still counts for MD - I've seen it in the Potomac from the C&O Canal portion of the AT.
Bird must be a year-round resident of said state? That's my criterion - what about your's?
Any duplicates e.g. can both MA and ME designate the chickadee, both VA & WV the cardinal?
To address a foreseen nomination by Mr. Warraghiyagey, extirpated/extinct birds are not permitted.

mudhead
12-22-2009, 18:01
Those are good criteria.

My twist would be how many of the 14 could I see in each state.

(Just to tweek the uncomplicated warghawhatever.)

rickb
12-22-2009, 20:25
Pileated Woodpecker has to be on the list somewhere.

But while this bird hangs out year-round up and down the AT, I am not sure about the suggested exclusionary criteria that discriminates against those which are just passing thu.

Especially against those who are traveling a whole lot more than 2,000 miles in a season.

Lets show respect where its due!

weary
12-22-2009, 20:46
Pileated Woodpecker has to be on the list somewhere. ....
I have a pileated that persists in pecking at my house. I'd love to ship it to the AT. But that's 100 miles away, as pileateds fly. I resist cutting down dead poplar in the grove that borders my marsh in hope of enticing it to an alternative source of food. But as soon as the sun breaks through the horizon, its back waking me up in the morning. That's okay in the winter, when darkness persists until 7 a.m.

But come June darkness starts to lift before 5. Come on. I'm retired. I don't need an unregulated alarm that sounds that early. Besides, I'm only good for about 8 hours of trail work a day. I don't need to be awake 18 hours.

Otherwise, I don't mind the pecking. I keep checking. but it seems like my house will last as long as my wife and I are alive. After that it's my kids' problem. Does anyone have a cheap pileated woodpecker trap they can buy?

Weary

Hikerhead
12-22-2009, 20:59
I have a pileated that persists in pecking at my house. I'd love to ship it to the AT. But that's 100 miles away, as pileateds fly. I resist cutting down dead poplar in the grove that borders my marsh in hope of enticing it to an alternative source of food. But as soon as the sun breaks through the horizon, its back waking me up in the morning. That's okay in the winter, when darkness persists until 7 a.m.

But come June darkness starts to lift before 5. Come on. I'm retired. I don't need an unregulated alarm that sounds that early. Besides, I'm only good for about 8 hours of trail work a day. I don't need to be awake 18 hours.

Otherwise, I don't mind the pecking. I keep checking. but it seems like my house will last as long as my wife and I are alive. After that it's my kids' problem. Does anyone have a cheap pileated woodpecker trap they can buy?

Weary

Buy one of those full sized plastic hawks and stand it close by. I don't have a clue if it will work but it might and it won't cost too much.

Cookerhiker
12-22-2009, 21:35
Pileated Woodpecker has to be on the list somewhere.

But while this bird hangs out year-round up and down the AT, I am not sure about the suggested exclusionary criteria that discriminates against those which are just passing thu.

Especially against those who are traveling a whole lot more than 2,000 miles in a season.

Lets show respect where its due!

Agree that there has to be a place for the pileated woodpecker among the 14 states.

But I still advocate that only year-round resident birds qualify. Sure, I "respect" those birds whose migratory sojourns take them thousands of miles. It's one of the most remarkable phenomena of nature. But equally remarkable is the ability of some species to adapt to dramatically different seasons in the same locale.

emerald
12-23-2009, 01:36
OK, let me get a handle on the criteria ...

We have selected 2 AT birds so far. The next state to be settled is Vermont.

I'd like to select 14 different AT birds which may or may not be the official state birds. These birds must be observable on the AT in the state for which they are chosen and they must be observed by hikers when on the AT in the designated state.

Hikers should have a reasonable chance, say at least 50/50, of observing the AT bird in the course of a single pass through the state or the amount of time one pass takes for a typical hiker.

I'm open to migrants and believe we have already included one. Any migrants should be observable by both GAME and MEGA hikers on typical schedules although anyone can complete the challenge. It's about observing the birds, not hiking the AT or individual AT states in their entirety (that's a different challenge) and there should be no time limits as in qualifying as a 2000 miler.

rickb
12-23-2009, 07:46
I think the puzzle is more complicated than we have even begun to realize.

Let's accept that NH gets the Gray Jay.

That's just the politically correct term for Canada Jay, BTW. Not sure why so many were offended by that. Canada is practically our 51st state. Canadians tend to leave here after visiting, for the most part. Why was the name Canada Jay found to be unacceptable?

But I digress.

For sake of discussion lets assume Maine will be represented by the Loon. How could it not be?

And VT may well go to the White-throated Sparrow.

Where the hell does this leave the Spruce Grouse then.

I'll tell you where. Out in the cold!

This is too important to put up for a majority vote. Public sentiment on something this important is not to be trusted!

Cookerhiker
12-23-2009, 09:16
We have selected 2 AT birds so far. The next state to be settled is Vermont.

I'd like to select 14 different AT birds which may or may not be the official state birds. These birds must be observable on the AT in the state for which they are chosen and they must be observed by hikers when on the AT in the designated state.

Hikers should have a reasonable chance, say at least 50/50, of observing the AT bird in the course of a single pass through the state or the amount of time one pass takes for a typical hiker.

I'm open to migrants and believe we have already included one. Any migrants should be observable by both GAME and MEGA hikers on typical schedules although anyone can complete the challenge. It's about observing the birds, not hiking the AT or individual AT states in their entirety (that's a different challenge) and there should be no time limits as in qualifying as a 2000 miler.

OK - I can understand that it's a bird one likely sees on the AT. So for example, brown pelicans are reasonably-easy-to-see year-round residents of GA and NC but will not be found on the AT in those states.

However, I'm still not sure what you mean about "typical hikers" and "typical schedules" but I detect a hint of bias towards thru-hikes. In reality as the ATC could tell you, the vast majority of "typical" hikes are of short duration by people close to their homes - thru and long-distance hikes are a distinct minority. Many hikers including some who post on WB deliberately avoid the prime hiking season and choose to hike in late Fall, winter, very early Spring.

For Vermont, my vote remains as I stated somewhere else: the White-throated Sparrow.

warraghiyagey
12-23-2009, 09:30
Agree that there has to be a place for the pileated woodpecker among the 14 states. . .
That'd be nice, they're a great find but so few and far between. . . almost as tough to spot as their ivory-billed cousin. . . which only I've seen. . . . that makes Woodsy so jealous. . .

emerald
12-23-2009, 13:10
However, I'm still not sure what you mean about "typical hikers" and "typical schedules" but I detect a hint of bias towards thru-hikes.

It's an attempt to accommodate as near as possible all hikers and incorporate the widest variety of birds possible in the challenge. The AT helps to secure habitat for migratory breeding birds and these birds are a significant and interesting component of its bird life which adds much to the experience of AT visitors.

I wouldn't want to select a migratory bird for the challenge which couldn't be observed by most GAME or MEGA hikers. It should be possible for them to accept the challenge and observe all 14 birds on such a hike.

A winter GAME hike or vice versa is not a traditional or typical way of hiking the AT and I would like to encourage use of the AT in all seasons just as bird watching is not strictly a winter activity. Were it, bird watchers in the northern hemisphere would miss out on the migrants.

The Common Loon is a perfect example of a migratory bird which is not seen on the Maine AT in winter, but it contributes significantly to the experience of AT hikers.

I do understand GAME hikers are beginning earlier and might be willing to consider allowing a non-AT Georgia Brown Thrasher or maybe even a non-Georgia AT Brown Thrasher, were we to retain it as our AT bird, but then we might also need to allow a non-AT Maine Common Loon to someone who finishes in November or December and I'm not sure I would want to go there.

Have I made myself understood?

emerald
12-23-2009, 13:30
I think the puzzle is more complicated than we have even begun to realize.

I don't doubt you're right, but I'm not throwing in the towel.

Why was the name Canada Jay found to be unacceptable?

I chose to use the name adopted by AOU, not the name which might be used most often by hikers on the AT.

For sake of discussion lets assume Maine will be represented by the Loon. How could it not be?

Already considered it a done deal.

Where the hell does this leave the Spruce Grouse then? I'll tell you where. Out in the cold!

Likely to be included on a short list of other notable birds.

This is too important to put up for a majority vote. Public sentiment on something this important is not to be trusted!

Perhaps so, but we've managed to do pretty well so far under the circumstances.:)

Cookerhiker
12-23-2009, 19:08
It's an attempt to accommodate as near as possible all hikers and incorporate the widest variety of birds possible in the challenge. The AT helps to secure habitat for migratory breeding birds and these birds are a significant and interesting component of its bird life which add much to the experience of AT visitors.

I wouldn't want to select a migratory bird for the challenge which couldn't be observed by most GAME or MEGA hikers. It should be possible for them to accept the challenge and observe all 14 birds on such a hike.

A winter GAME hike or vice versa is not a traditional or typical way of hiking the AT and I would like to encourage use of the AT in all seasons just as bird watching is not strictly a winter activity. Were it, bird watchers in the northern hemisphere would miss out on the migrants.

The Common Loon is a perfect example of a migratory bird which is not seen on the Maine AT in winter, but it contributes significantly to the experience of AT hikers.

I do understand GAME hikers are beginning earlier and might be willing to consider allowing a non-AT Georgia Brown Thrasher or maybe even a non-Georgia AT Brown Thrasher, were we to retain it as our AT bird, but then we might also need to allow a non-AT Maine Common Loon to someone who finishes in November or December and I'm not sure I would want to go there.

Have I made myself understood?

OK, I understand but your first sentence belies the rest of your response by using the phrase "all hikers"; the remainder of what you say makes it clear that the subset you're most concerned with - those who would see all 14 birds - is thruhikers who comprise a distinct minority of AT users.

emerald
12-23-2009, 21:07
Sorry someone can't see the point of trying to accommodate that small group, but they are a small group which historically has been accorded special considerations. I indicated a desire to accomodate as near as possible all hikers which implies compromise.

The purpose of considering the schedules of typical long-distance hikers is related to timing with respect to migrant birds. The 14 birds would not be seen only by long-distance hikers as suggested, but rather the best list is one which would challenge the greatest number of hikers while not being beyond the reach of beginning bird watchers and typical long-distance hikers locked into particular schedules.

Day hikers, weekend hikers and shorter-term long-distance hikers can choose when they hike; longer-distance hikers except for the hardiest which resemble in some ways the permanent resident birds are locked into schedules dictated by the seasons over which they have no control.

Winter long-distance hikers would be encouraged to revisit the AT during other seasons to see what they have missed. In many if not most cases, they are more experienced hikers who might bank birds they know they would miss beforehand or return to pick them up at a later time.

If we must choose between accommodating the special needs of most long-distance hikers or doing without seasonal birds, I'd prefer to accomodate them rather than forgo additional seasonal birds. I believe I've suggested a good compromise with desirable benefits.

I welcome a discussion about how the proposed compromise impacts upon hikers of shorter durations. No doubt we could come up with a list of birds which would include more migrants including spring warblers and others, but we would not have a challenge which could be achieved as part of a GAME or MEGA AT hike.

emerald
12-25-2009, 14:45
Expect the discussion leading up to the next poll to begin in earnest about a week from now and the poll about a week later. I want to confer with others off-board and gather additional information before getting it under way.

Feel free to toss up any ideas related to the topic of this post or thread which is likely to become a long one before all is said and done.

emerald
12-25-2009, 14:49
When looking once again at the image I linked earlier today to CBCs on the AT (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=939022&postcount=7), I couldn't help but think it would be a great addition to an AT Bird calendar featuring the 14, once chosen.

Maybe we could sell a calendar to finance bluebird boxes along one or more segments of the AT in New York?:-?

emerald
12-29-2009, 20:15
Just completed some reading in preparation for the upcoming New York State Bird challenge. The incumbent looks to be solid!

emerald
01-02-2010, 21:27
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=943166#post943166

emerald
01-23-2010, 22:08
http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/id (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Black-capped_Chickadee/id)

With 12 states including the as yet unsettled Vermont contest to decide, it's time to get busy if I am to have a list ready by March.

Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm intending to name Massachusetts' State Bird its AT bird effective Friday at midnight. It's a popular bird among hikers also selected by Maine as its State Bird, but which seems more appropriate as an AT Bird for the shorter state since it should be readily observed.

Let's talk Massachusetts birds and expect to see more on a Connecticut AT bird before the end of the week.

emerald
01-23-2010, 23:40
A bill was introduced in 1931 to adopt the Veery as Massachusetts' State Bird, but it was not adopted.

http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/birds/ma_black_capped_chickadee.htm (http://www.netstate.com/states/symb/birds/ma_black_capped_chickadee.htm)

emerald
01-24-2010, 00:06
http://www.hoffmannbirdclub.org/birdlist.html

The link above takes a long time to display, but I'm guessing it's as close to an AT bird list as may be had.

Massachusetts Breeding Bird Atlas (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/Massachusetts Breeding Bird Atlas)

There's also a guide to birds of Western Massachusetts I saw mentioned and we might list.

berkshirebirder
01-24-2010, 18:32
Let's see if we can list the state birds for all 14 A.T. states and determine how difficult it would be to see or hear each bird on the A.T. in the state where it's recognized as state bird.

I'm guessing non-birders in western MA would have a really hard time finding a veery, although they'd hear the call frequently in spring

http://identify.whatbird.com/obj/684/_/Veery.aspx

What about raven or red-tailed hawk for Massachusetts?

Non-birders will have trouble identifying purple finch--male purple finches (not particularly common) look quite a bit like male house finches (very common).

I'm not quite sure how this contest will work. Maybe make a list of 20 (or so) fairly common species and see how many of them are reported in each of the 14 states?

rickb
01-24-2010, 20:52
For Mass? An owl.

Barred or Screech of Great Horned.

Go for the one that eats the most mice.

emerald
01-25-2010, 21:23
Rick, as you know, owls fared well in your poll and I agree it might be desireable to include an owl somewhere.

An owl would add another dimension to some hikes by encouraging hiking at dawn and dusk which are the best times to observe wildlife, but the AT Bird Challenge should be more than a quest for owls.

If we can have only one, which owl and why Massachusetts? Would you be willing to give up having a chickadee on our list to have an owl as Massachusetts' AT Bird?

As we venture farther south there are more options and the ranges of Black-capped Chickadee and Carolina Chickadee overlap to some extent.

Chickadees make good company in the woods and I like the idea of having one on our list even though it's a common bird everyone knows. We need to select more common and easily observed birds for shorter states too.

So who's seen owls on the Mass AT? Where and when? Anyone?

emerald
01-25-2010, 21:34
What about raven or red-tailed hawk for Massachusetts?

Couldn't those two birds be seen in any of several AT states? Why should they be associated with Massachusetts particularly or what special attributes do they have which should cause us to single them out and encourage hikers to seek them?

emerald
01-25-2010, 21:42
Consider tougher birds for this long AT state.

Cookerhiker
01-26-2010, 10:44
Consider tougher birds for this long AT state.

Keep the Cardinal.

Other residential candidates:

Pileated Woodpacker (this has got to be one of the 14 somewhere)
Downy or Red-bellied Woodpecker
Red-tailed Hawk

Migratory candidates:

Scarlet Tanager
Rose-breasted Grospeak
Indigo Bunting

emerald
01-26-2010, 14:18
Keep the Cardinal.

I like the idea of getting rid of it altogether, but, out of respect for those states which chose it, we might keep it for West Virginia. There are candidates which might better serve in its place however.

North Carolina might work well, perhaps better, for early starters and late finishers.

emerald
01-26-2010, 14:22
I was thinking it might be Virginia's bird. Wargy should approve since it's a close as we can come to his favorite bird.

berkshirebirder
01-26-2010, 18:00
Can't those two birds be seen in any of the AT states?

Emerald, What's your standard for choosing a species for each state? I notice there was an earlier thread on this topic.

MOST of the birds on the original list of state birds can be seen in ANY A.T. state, in either spring or fall or, in some cases, year 'round (N. Cardinal). I would guess that few birds are easier to find in woods anywhere along the Trail than a black-capped or a Carolina chickadee.

Time of year alters the probabilities. For example, a SOBO hiker would be quite likely to hear/see a hermit thrush in Vermont in spring. It would be difficult, but still possible, for a NOBO hiker to hear/see a hermit thrush in Vermont late in the fall.

Some species are much more likely to be found in certain types of habitat (good luck finding a bluebird deep in the woods). Other species are not as fussy and can be found in a variety of habitat. Is this why you're considering length of the A.T. in each state?

With 90 miles of the Trail, Massachusetts isn't really a "long state." Virginia, PA, Vermont, NH, and Maine have many more miles of the Trail.

emerald
01-26-2010, 18:53
I have seen your question and will respond.

emerald
01-29-2010, 00:12
Unless someone has a better suggestion, I'm intending to name Massachusetts' State Bird its AT bird effective Friday at midnight.

It appears everyone who's reading is content with Black-capped Chickadee as Massachusetts' AT Bird. My original intent was to settle the issue by the weekend, but, since Friday at midnight is a day before the weekend and I haven't provided a timely answer to Beth's query, I'm not ready to move on to the next challenge.

Nor am I convinced the best way to our select AT birds is with a WhiteBlaze poll and I'm not against trying different approaches. In this case, I'll answer Beth's query after which I'd like her to provide me with her best argument for a single bird other than Black-capped Chickadee within 1 week. If she can convince me her bird is a better bird, I'll support her choice and we will move on to Connecticut.

rickb
01-29-2010, 08:17
You might want to consider the cowbird. As Emerald surely knows, they lay their eggs in the nests of other birds.

Simply put, they make sure others bear the cost of raising their offspring.

It would be a good bird to represent MA. Or if not for us, then for NJ.

The chickadee is not bad though. Many have learned to accept handouts, especially in the Winter. So it is a good representative, too.

Blue Jay
01-29-2010, 11:15
You might want to consider the cowbird. As Emerald surely knows, they lay their eggs in the nests of other birds.

The chickadee is not bad though. Many have learned to accept handouts, especially in the Winter. So it is a good representative, too.

Great post, the moderators will never catch on. Have you noticed how reactionary raptors are?:banana

berkshirebirder
01-29-2010, 11:26
Emerald, Would you please summarize what the Challenge is? Does a hiker try to find their own state's bird on a particular weekend or over the course of a year's hikes?

You changed Maine's bird from BC Chickadee to Common Loon but I'm not sure why--to avoid duplicates? For substitutes do you want species that non-birders would find easily, or is the Challenge geared toward hikers that know more about birds?

Chickadee is fine for Massachusetts--it's just very easy to find compared to a few other state birds on the list.

berkshirebirder
01-29-2010, 11:30
Many have learned to accept handouts... --blue jay

For a minute there, I thought you meant hikers in general, blue jay.

weary
01-29-2010, 11:57

If we want a state for the chickadee, think about New York, the financial and banking center of the nation.

Blue Jay
01-29-2010, 12:39
Weary, you have to be subtle, obtuse or generally in direct. I know you can do this.

weary
01-29-2010, 13:10
Weary, you have to be subtle, obtuse or generally in direct. I know you can do this.
The bit about the nature of New York was only a friendly note for White Blazers who don't know what New York is most famous for. It has no subtle meaning. However, chickadees are about the friendliest bird on the trail. It thus fits nicely with the nature of the state's leading industry.

berkshirebirder
01-29-2010, 13:26
They call "gimmee, gimmee, gimmee" while extending one of their wings?

emerald
01-29-2010, 13:31
I just want to post to tell a true story about one of the odd things I've observed with a little history mixed in as usual.

Rick mentioned owls earlier. I live in a place the Lenape referred to as Cacusi which means something similar to where owls are found. It's mostly Great-Horned and Screech Owls today with enough Common Crows to harass both them and the raptors.

Lately, there's been a Blue Jay who gets up about the same time in the morning as the crows and pretends to be a Screech Owl. The crows do as crows have always done. When the crows become silent, the jay calls again. Eventually, the crows act as though they have an important appointment somewhere and fly off, always in the same direction.

They seem to take great pleasure in beginning their day this way. I have no doubt they all think it's a hoot.;):D

emerald
02-04-2010, 20:53
http://www.wingsoverga.com/Georgia_Birding_Resources.html (http://www.wingsoverga.com/Georgia_Birding_Resources.html)

Thinking ahead to the Georgia Challenge and wondering if Brown Thrasher can provide what's sought. Would like to name a permanent member of the choir to accompany those walking with Spring and able to add something of interest in the winter months too.

emerald
02-04-2010, 21:58
I'd like to place it on our list and the right place might be the state where I first saw it on the A.T. I need to do some more research. Since it breeds later than the Great-horned Owl, I think it's the better owl for our list.

Who, who, who thinks they know if and where it belongs on the A.T. State Bird list?

Cookerhiker
02-04-2010, 22:32
I'd like to place it on our list and the right place might be the state where I first saw it on the A.T. I need to do some more research. Since it breeds later than the Great-horned Owl, I think it's the better owl for our list.

Who, who, who thinks they know if and where it belongs on the A.T. State Bird list?

I saw a Barred Owl in NH not far out of Hanover. But NH's already decided.

emerald
02-04-2010, 22:43
Chickadee is fine for Massachusetts--it's just very easy to find compared to a few other state birds on the list.

You've had some time to think about other notable Massachusetts A.T. birds. Do you have a top 10 list to share with us you might pare down to several favorites and a single bird you think might better serve as Massachusetts' A.T. Bird?

emerald
02-04-2010, 22:44
Who's seen Eastern Bluebirds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/id) from the A.T. in New York and where?

emerald
02-04-2010, 22:56
http://www.nps.gov/hafe/naturescience/birds.htm (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/naturescience/birds.htm)

What's the best bird A.T. hikers have a good chance of spotting over Harpers Ferry at least 3 seasons of the year?

weary
02-04-2010, 23:28
Who's seen Eastern Bluebirds (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Eastern_Bluebird/id) in New York and where?
I'll cry if no one has seen the eastern blue Bird in New York. It's one of my favorite birds.

But the blue bird is a creature of the open fields and orchards. Not the long green tunnel that so delights those of us who love the Appalachian Trail.

emerald
02-04-2010, 23:37
The Eastern Bluebird recovery is a great story. I would think there are open spaces where they may be seen and we might call attention to the habitat provided by those kinds of places too.

Trying to catch a glimpse of a bluebird might cause those places where they may be observed to be seen as more interesting and hence valued more than they might be otherwise.

berkshirebirder
02-05-2010, 14:09
I've birded only a short stretch of the AT in western MA (east of October Mt), so I looked through sightings posted on an expert birder's blog to see what species can be found in the open countryside south of Rte I90. You could add a field bird to the list in place of black-capped chickadee (a wonderful state bird but easily found just about everywhere).

What do you think of Eastern Phoebe or Red-winged Blackbird as Massachusetts' AT bird? Both are fairly well known and easy to spot without binoculars. If you'd like to add a plover to the list, Killdeer also can be found on the fields in the Tyringham Cobble area.

emerald
02-05-2010, 15:05
Could you link the blog and any other Massachusetts bird watching resources resources you'd recommend?

berkshirebirder
02-05-2010, 17:49
If I had a copy, I'd use THE BIRD FINDING GUIDE TO WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS, which takes you on a tour and lists where various species are seen at which time of year.

eBird is another good resource if you are familiar with it:

http://www.massaudubon.org/ebird/

This is the weekly rare bird alert, covering all of the western half of the state:

www.massaudubon.org/Birds_and_Birding/sightings (http://www.massaudubon.org/Birds_and_Birding/sightings.php#western).php#western (http://www.massaudubon.org/Birds_and_Birding/sightings.php#western)

Here's the blog I checked for sightings in Tyringham and Cheshire:

http://gremlinthecat.blogspot.com/

The blog writer has been involved with the Breeding Bird Atlas project for some years in Worcester County and several areas in Berkshire County.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 17:49
What's the best bird A.T. hikers have a good chance of spotting over Harpers Ferry at least 3 seasons of the year?

Speaking of Eastern Bluebirds, I have seen them around Harpers Ferry and they've become a year-round bird along the Potomac.

But my vote for HF would be Great Blue Heron. Let's not entertain any bias against wading birds, especially if you're just talking about the immediate vicinity of HF which of course centers on the Potomac & Shenandoah.

emerald
02-05-2010, 18:01
Berkshirebirder, consider providing an article where you'd gather Massachusetts birding resources and provide basic information for beginning bird watchers.

It could be thread-like in that you and others could add comments including trip reports and sightings. With an article, however, you would retain editing privileges on the opening post and could modify it as you see fit.

The new blogging feature might even be better. I haven't yet explored its features thoroughly.

emerald
02-05-2010, 18:07
My vote for HF would be Great Blue Heron. Let's not entertain any bias against wading birds, especially if you're just talking about the immediate vicinity of HF which of course centers on the Potomac & Shenandoah.

There are many kinds of habitats through which the A.T. passes contributing to the diversity of birds it supports.

Cookerhiker
02-05-2010, 21:51
I think we should keep major water courses in mind as we continue to discuss A.T. birds. There are many different kinds of habitats along the A.T. which contribute to the diversity of the birds it supports.

In addition to the major rivers, the Trail passes through Walkill National Wildlife Refuge, the only NWR on the entire AT. The refuge features extended boardwalk over the wetlands. Of course when I hiked (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=69068) through there, the mosquitos outshined all the birds.

emerald
02-06-2010, 00:01
I've already been thinking about how Wallkill River NWR (http://www.fws.gov/northeast/wallkillriver/index.htm) relates to the A.T. Bird Challenge and have found some information about its birds (http://www.fws.gov/northeast/wallkillriver/wildlife.htm#Birds) including a checklist (http://www.npwrc.usgs.gov/resource/birds/chekbird/r5/wallkill.htm).

On a good day, it's a place bird-watching A.T. hikers will want to linger and might see birds observed only rarely on the A.T. (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=251395)

berkshirebirder
02-06-2010, 07:57
A key birding spot would be great to focus attention on wildlife along the AT. Walkill NWR looks like just the place!

There must be a few Important Bird Areas (IBAs) along the Trail, as well. I'll see what I can find out.

I've been looking through the wildlife (non-human) photo galleries at whiteblaze, especially the birds. Some are id'd but many are not. Is this something useful we could do if we set up some sort of "nature" blog or forum here?

To walk, to see, to see what you see...

berkshirebirder
02-06-2010, 22:24
Quite a few of the state parks and national forests along the AT have been designated Important Bird Areas by Bird Life International, an international conservation group working with the American Bird Conservancy.

There's a bird list available for each IBA (from the eNature online guides).

Emerald, your PM mailbox is full. I'll send you the information if you clear some space in your mailbox here.
Thought you might like to check it out and decide if these lists would be useful.

J5man
02-06-2010, 22:52
The official bird of the great state of North Carolina is the Cardinal. You'll see it all over the place, almost year round.

They copied it from KY! NC is always trying to be like KY, especially in basketball! :banana

emerald
02-06-2010, 23:08
A Connecticut Birding Year (http://www.ctbirding.org/resources_ctsummer.htm) may be of interest to some readers. I've bookmarked Summer which may be the portion most relevant to our A.T. Bird Challenge. More online resources recommended by COA are linked at the top of their page.

emerald
02-14-2010, 20:33
At one time, I thought it would make sense to proceed from Maine to Georgia settling one State at a time. Now, I'm less certain that approach will result in the best possible list of 14 birds.

I'm encouraging discussion of all unsettled States at this time especially Georgia since I'd like to see the A.T. Bird Challenge available as an option to hikers this season. Some have expressed interest in it both on-board and privately.

Seeking a permanent resident observable year round as Georgia's A.T. bird. I'm not convinced Brown Thrasher is our bird. Does anyone disagree or have a better bird?

I'm aiming to gather a list of 10 notable Georgia A.T. birds to include Brown Thrasher and comprised of 1/2 neotropical migrants.

Chattahoochee National Forest is an Important Bird Area (IBA) considered essentially important to warblers, tanagers, vireos and orioles. Someplace or another, I'd like call attention to Red-eyed Vireo and I think Georgia may be the place.

IBAs in Georgia (http://www.atlantaaudubon.org/iba/index.htm)

Wings Over Georgia (http://www.wingsoverga.com/)

Amicalola Falls CBC 2 Jan 2010 (http://birdingadventuresinc.com/upcoming-events/amicalola-christmas-bird-count/)

emerald
02-16-2010, 16:37
http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/BirdsEye (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/BirdsEye)

New iPhone App harnesses the power of eBird.

emerald
02-16-2010, 21:03
http://nc.audubon.org/files/Audubon%20North%20Carolina/documents/MOUNTAIN.pdf (http://nc.audubon.org/files/Audubon%20North%20Carolina/documents/MOUNTAIN.pdf)

The linked 25-page document (PDF 3.84MB) published by Audubon North Carolina deals specifically with IBAs in the mountainous portion of the state.

emerald
02-16-2010, 21:20
http://www.nps.gov/hafe/naturescience/birds.htm (http://www.nps.gov/hafe/naturescience/birds.htm)

I have seen Eastern Bluebirds around Harpers Ferry and they've become a year-round bird along the Potomac.

My vote for HF would be Great Blue Heron. Let's not entertain any bias against wading birds, especially if you're just talking about the immediate vicinity of HF which of course centers on the Potomac & Shenandoah.

I have nothing against waterbirds or permanent resident birds. If we are to include on our list as many orders representing the greatest diversity of A.T. birds possible, we must consider both. Is a GBH more likely to be seen at HF or at Wallkill River NWR? Shouldn't we select a grassland bird for New Jersey?

Anyone else have birds they wish to be considered for West Virginia?

Hank and Andrea Southgate (http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=255042) listed some good birds the day they hiked into Harpers Ferry.

Should we or should we not overlook the A.T. West Virginia shares with Virginia and simply count it as Virginia for purposes of the A.T. Bird Challenge?

How does Maryland fit into our puzzle? Should we use the opportunity to add another water bird or select a bird more likely to be observed north of C&O Canal?

It has occurred to me a kingfisher might be an option at HF. Of course, there's also the possibility of seeing a charismatic megabird, but a megabird would be hit or miss, no?

Whatever bird we choose, A.T. hikers will have only part of a day or parts of two days to pick it up.

berkshirebirder
02-17-2010, 00:03
Chattahoochee Natl Forest, Georgia (IBA) bird guide:

http://www.abcbirds.org/abcprograms/domestic/sitebased/iba/georgia.html

click "view bird guide"

There are 207 birds on the list, including 41 common birds.

emerald
02-17-2010, 00:10
I knew there must be a list somewhere despite my failure to locate one.

berkshirebirder
02-17-2010, 08:55
Bird lists are a useful resource, BUT many don't indicate likelihood of finding each species (C=common, O=occasional, R=rare or something along those lines). Bird-finding guides often mention the more unusual species in an area but not the common ones. That's understandable but not helpful if the goal is to know which species hikers are likely to see/hear while passing rather quickly through an area.

So personal reports from hikers probably are the best source of information for the AT State Bird Challenge, is that right?

Some enterprising birder(s) should compile a "Birder's Guide to the Appalachian Trail." Maybe this could be a cooperative venture by day- or section-hikers in various states?

emerald
02-17-2010, 09:30
I'd rather hear hikers' bird reports than their personal reports. Relevant first-hand information from experienced birders regardless of their A.T. mileage is always welcome.

More citizen scientists on the A.T. gathering and sharing information about it will benefit both the resource base upon which the A.T. relies and the hikers who visit it. Everyone must start somewhere and today is never too late to learn something new.

Who will be the A.T.'s supporters and defenders in the coming years if we don't make an effort to recruit them now?

berkshirebirder
02-17-2010, 10:22
What about Northern Bobwhite for Georgia? The range map in Peterson's guide says it's a permanent resident in that area. Has anyone seen a bobwhite along the trail?

emerald
02-17-2010, 16:43
When I was younger than I am now, I saw a covey of quail in my back yard, but we lived in farm country.

emerald
02-17-2010, 20:00
Does anyone have a rough idea what percentage of A.T. birds are passerines? I'm thinking we ought to consider limiting the number of passerines on our list to no more than 1/2 the total.

emerald
02-21-2010, 17:47
Today I started a related thread (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=59177) by the same name as this post's title to help keep information about Georgia A.T. birds in a single place for the next several weeks at least while we settle the question of Georgia's AT Challenge Bird.

emerald
02-24-2010, 19:32
A draft list of 10 A.T. birds, 5 of which are permanent residents has been completed for Georgia. Lists for North Carolina and Tennessee are in the works.

More information will be posted when the 3 lists are complete and we're able to see how they fit together.

emerald
03-03-2010, 21:26
All this deep mining of old birds makes me want for coal fields and plant fossils. There will be more to report soon, perhaps from the middle before the bottom.

All I have to offer now is a poem inspired by Pennsylvania anthracite coal. You'll find it in History as a Mystery (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=981137&postcount=83) for which I save some of my best finds.

Cookerhiker
03-04-2010, 11:57
....Has anyone seen a bobwhite along the trail?

Does Krewzer count?:D

berkshirebirder
03-05-2010, 22:01
Does he whistle?

Cookerhiker
03-05-2010, 22:46
Does he whistle?

He doesn't have to - he's got the name.

berkshirebirder
03-10-2010, 11:11
Last night around 6:15, I visited a local park field at dusk to see if woodcocks are back from their wintering grounds farther south. A half dozen woodcocks were making their presence known in one section of the field.

Woodcocks are a kind of sandpiper, but their habitat is upland wet shrubby field and open woodland. Toward the end of winter, male woodcocks frequent a "singing field" for several weeks, where they perform a courtship ritual for females. After a series of peents or beeps, males fly about 200' skyward in a widening spiral, their wings rustling as they fly. Then they make a chirping sound on the way down.

The Audubon Society provides a good description of the Woodcock Sky Dance (http://web1.audubon.org/waterbirds/species.php?speciesCode=amewoo&tab=natHistory)

Here's the male call and flight sound (http://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/American_Woodcock/sounds) at the Cornell Lab's website (click the sound bar twice).

While this is serious business for the woodcocks, it's a happy reminder for humans that spring is on the way.

American Woodcock is a forest management "indicator species" in some areas of the country. This is a conservation tool being used to gauge the diversity and health of different types of habitat by the presence of certain plants and animals. Indicator species are part of the conservation efforts at Chattahoochee National Forest to be highlighted later in a post about Georgia's A.T. Bird List.

weary
03-10-2010, 13:17
Thanks for the woodcock recording. My house sits along the shore and has a small grove of aspen, typical woodcock habitat. However, the recording scared my wife. She came running. I had a pacemaker installed in my chest on two days ago. She heard the woodcock's mating sounds and she feared I was in serious trouble.

berkshirebirder
03-10-2010, 13:41
There's a good joke there somewhere, weary. Let's just say if your wife were a woodcock, her response would have been the right one but for the wrong reason.

Cookerhiker
03-10-2010, 14:09
..... I had a pacemaker installed in my chest on two days ago...

Hope the pacemaker works smoothly - stay healthy Weary!;)

emerald
03-18-2010, 21:05
Tonight local bird enthusiasts assembled at Blue Marsh IBA for a presentation by an ACE naturalist and to see if resident woodcocks would care to dance.

Click on wildlife note (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/document/706668/woodcock_pdf) to read the literature provided by PGC to participants.

emerald
03-20-2010, 23:53
I would have liked to link a WPA/PGC poster, but missed the deadline and didn't want to bother someone to add it.

When I was younger than I am now, I saw a covey of quail in my back yard, but we lived in farm country (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=39981).

emerald
03-31-2010, 23:52
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60562 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=60562)

Yesterday, I started another thread in the A.T. bird series.

emerald
04-12-2010, 21:52
Who has new arrivals seen from the A.T. to report?

emerald
04-14-2010, 13:53
I move we begin a WhiteBlaze A.T. bird list effective immediately. When visiting the A.T., look for birds, see what you can and report back to us.

I'll begin a thread later today and link it. Let's see how long it takes us to get to 100 species and continue listing them once we get there.

WhiteBlaze A.T. birds 2010 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61049)

warraghiyagey
04-14-2010, 14:01
Jeeziss, I could list a hundred AT species without stepping foot one on the AT. . . . :rolleyes:

Cookerhiker
04-14-2010, 14:57
Well it wasn't on the AT but this week the White-Throated Sparrow has been singing in my yard, that is when he's not at the feeder. Per Sibley, he should have migrated by now (to the AT in Vermont).

berkshirebirder
04-14-2010, 15:04
Warraghy has missed the point. There have been many previous posts about bird sightings along the Trail and a good number of questions about birds seen. This is an attempt to create a current, unified list of birds seen during the 2010 hiking season.

And although emerald has vast knowledge about the natural world of the Trail, I think he would flinch at being addressed as "Jeeziss."

emerald
04-14-2010, 15:33
Well it wasn't on the AT but this week the White-Throated Sparrow has been singing in my yard, that is when he's not at the feeder. Per Sibley, he should have migrated by now (to the AT in Vermont).

He was here a few days ago to thank me for my vote, but I think he may now have returned to the high country to sing from the tallest balsam fir he can find. Some of the tallest are the shortest atop the highest mountains.

flemdawg1
04-14-2010, 18:59
How long do you get to eat them?

emerald
04-14-2010, 23:34
http://www.grayghost.info/2009/11/gray-ghost-appalachian-trail-bird-list.html (http://www.grayghost.info/2009/11/gray-ghost-appalachian-trail-bird-list.html)

Chet's list unfortunately takes a long time to display. At some point I'd like to grab it and post in some other form more quickly accessed by those who wish to view it. If anyone has a good idea how to accomplish that objective, have at it!

emerald
04-19-2010, 19:56
I started a 3rd thread in the A.T. bird series today, Virginia A.T. birds (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61197). It consists of only 2 posts at present, but the SNP birds page contains a number of links to others and much information. More posts will follow as time permits.

berkshirebirder
04-19-2010, 21:32
Take a few minutes to watch Gray Ghost's photo album/slideshow (http://www.grayghost.info/2009/11/gray-ghost-appalachian-trail.html) . Beautiful photos of places along the way, fellow hikers, and a variety of the plants and animals seen (labeled!)

Emerald, note photo #77 of a White-throated Sparrow taken in New Hampshire, I believe.

emerald
04-19-2010, 21:59
I've always thought A Century of Bird Life In Berks County, Pennsylvania to be wonderful book and am glad to have supported its publication in a small way.

Now that I've met many of those who contributed to it, it's an even more-valued possession. When reading Kerry Grim's account of SGL 110 again yesterday, I noticed he called attention to its breeding birds ordinarily associated with more northerly locations including White-throated Sparrow. One sang yesterday as I worked in my wildflower beds.

emerald
04-21-2010, 23:51
I thought A.T. birds were challenged until I saw what I saw today while NOBO on Business 222 in Muhlenberg Township.

At one point traffic began to slow down and as I broke, I noticed a mallard hen with her duckings in tow on the shoulder of the SOBO lane. She indicated a desire to cross several times but thought better of it until the right opportunity presented itself.

As a school bus approached and slowed to a stop, the car in front of me stopped too creating an opening. When the bus came to a complete stop, mother duck stepped onto the asphault and walked across both lanes with all 14 ducklings close behind.

Only the bus driver opening to the door and displaying the stop sign would have made a better picture. It's a shame that one won't be in tomorrow's Reading Eagle.

emerald
04-25-2010, 20:54
My current A.T. bird challenge is reading the PIF bird conservation plans for the physiographic regions traversed by the A.T. I will attempt to include what I believe to be of general interest in my A.T. bird thread postings.

emerald
04-25-2010, 21:19
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1004632#post1004632 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1004632#post1004632)

emerald
04-26-2010, 14:51
This thread may eclipse my most appreciated effort to date if how things are measured is based upon total number of hits. If it does surpass Appalachian Spring, I welcome it.

What I want most of all, I haven't seen with few exceptions: participation in our A.T. bird threads. Now is the time to begin. Engage!

emerald
05-03-2010, 19:57
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61602 (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=61602)

If anyone has West Virginia A.T. bird sightings to report, please post them at the link above.

emerald
05-03-2010, 19:59
I posted a Reading Eagle article about Kerry Grim's research and Mother's Day hike to Berks County Nature Blog (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1008084&postcount=32) today. When I get Pennsylvania A.T. birds under way, I will discuss in some detail his findings.

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 08:44
I posted a Reading Eagle article about Kerry Grim's research and Mother's Day hike to Berks County Nature Blog (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showpost.php?p=1008084&postcount=32) today. When I get Pennsylvania A.T. birds under way, I will discuss in some detail his findings.
Looking forward to it Shades of Gray. . . :sun:sun

emerald
05-05-2010, 15:22
He prefers other trails and doesn't post here anymore. I can't say I hold it against him. I'm looking to replace myself too, but haven't found any serious applicants.

We get on well and sometimes hike together. He likes to hang out with Baird Ornithological Club and Mengel Natural History Society, but he turns up other places too occasionally even outside of Berks County and sometimes ventures as far as Lebanon or Schuylkill County.

I'll tell him you asked about him and send you some reading material.

emerald
05-12-2010, 13:59
http://www.proaves.org

Click on the Union Jack for English to learn about a Columbian organization working to conserve A.T. birds.

emerald
05-17-2010, 21:52
On May 9, I started Maryland A.T. birds (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=1010813#post1010813). It consists of only 2 posts and little information other than some links about Baltimore Oriole at this time. More will come as time permits.

emerald
05-17-2010, 22:01
The current plan calls for starting Pennsylvania and Maine asap and new threads in sequence from both directions until all 14 have been started. At that point, I'll add more flesh to the bones while continuing to entertain hope of finding help along the way.

Ideally, we'd have a resident adopt each State who would help to keep the A.T. bird threads alive by posting updates and encouraging readers to post their sightings and ask questions.

emerald
05-18-2010, 20:37
At eBird we love when birders submit data from their backyards. Your backyard can provide excellent habitat for birds, and when many backyards are put together, a growing network of green space becomes available for birds. The Cornell Lab of Ornithology is developing a new project called the YardMap Network, which will allow you to describe in great detail the habitat and conservation practices happening in your backyard...

Click more (http://ebird.org/content/ebird/news/yardmap_survey) to access eBird.