PDA

View Full Version : Which smartphone should I get?

DrRichardCranium
12-14-2009, 15:24
I'd like to get a smartphone to use for blogging on the trail & for taking pictures.

I'm thinking I need something on the Verizon network (for reception), and I am leaning towards the Motorola Android. (IPhone is not on Verizon, and on many parts of the Trail Verizon seems to be the only network with reception).

Cabin Fever
12-14-2009, 15:45
Everyone that I know with the Droids don't like them as much as they thought they would. I have an HTC and it is good, but bulky. I have not seen a phone yet with a worthwhile camera.

Manwich
12-14-2009, 15:55
I know it's opening another can of worms... but I get AT&T Reception wherever I am on the trail. I truly believe it depends on the phone. Your mileage may vary.

BrianLe
12-14-2009, 16:41
There are so many phones out there that it's tough for any one person to know at any given time which one might be "best", even if everyone with equal experience could even agree what makes a phone the "best". You might want to look at the smartphones that Verizon currently offers as part of a contract deal and then look at independent reviews of the most interesting contenders.

After my PCT thru-hike in 2008 I wrote up some thoughts on picking out a smartphone for backpacking use (http://postholer.com/smartPhone.html). These don't go into individual phone specifics, but before pulling the trigger you might want to look this over to make sure that you're at least asking all of the right questions ...

Request: when you do make a selection, please post it here to include the key decision factors that made you choose that phone. Thanks!

Brian / Gadget

white_russian
12-14-2009, 17:04
Get a used or refurbed Motorola Q9c and activate it on Page Plus. It doesn't have the fancy fart apps like the iphone but it will do everything you need on the trail like journaling and weather. Page Plus runs on Verizon's network and you can get a prepaid plan for $30 bucks that gets you 1200 min, 1200 txt, and 50MB data. The only downside is roaming and extra data is expensive. They will activate other smart phones as well, but the Q9c works with the settings out of the box.

If you want cheap this is the way to go.

ianjoe59
12-14-2009, 17:05
Used an iphone on my thru this year. Reception was poor at best on the trail. Better in town, but people with Verizon seemed to fair better on the trail itself especially in the south. We have a Droid now through Verizon that we like. Poor battery life though. Maybe try the Eris. Also there may be more offerings early next year.
All in all though, having the iphone was awesome. Never had to go to a library and fight over a computer.

Takijeep
12-14-2009, 20:02
I just (one month) got a palm pre, good features and great battery life and you can get a larger battery. I will be using it on th AT starting in march! What ever phone you choose get the replacement plan!

malowitz
12-14-2009, 20:15
I got the Droid in November - upgrading from and old dumb phone. I love it. I keep finding more things it can do for me. It runs the Android operating sytem. It does weigh about 8 oz, I believe.

Check out phandroid.com for lots of discussion/information about the Android system and the Droid phone or other Android phones.

On the backpacking/hiking note: there is a program called Spadout Barcode specializing in outdoor gear that like other "bar code scaners" (ShopSavy is excellent) can scan an item's barcode and give you information about where to purchase and prices via internet or local retailers.

birdog
02-17-2011, 18:49
verizon iphone