PDA

View Full Version : Condensation?

Duff
12-14-2009, 17:44
Maybe I've missed this discussion , but I'm looking for some assistance. I've narrowed my next purchase choice to between the Lightheart tent and "The One" by Gossamer Gear.Both have their fans - I'm particulary impressed by Ramble-on's posts touting the virtues of the Lightheart tent. Taking cost and weight out of the decision, it seems a choice based solely upon condensation possibilities - single-wall vs. double wall. My only experience is with a double wall. Is condensation "that big" an issue? Any experience w/ these tents? Any recommendations?

Pacific Tortuga
12-14-2009, 18:14
IMO, it's all about where and how you set up your shelter. I had only owend double wall tents and went with a Rainbow 2 due to weight, friend's deciding to join me on some section's, and that it is made in the USA. Condensation rears its ugly, wet head no matter what style tent you use. I had but one night of a, water beading celling. Luck?, not sure, but it was always on my mind when thinking about setting up camp.

garlic08
12-14-2009, 19:02
IMO, it's all about where and how you set up your shelter....it was always on my mind when thinking about setting up camp.

That's my experience, too.

ChinMusic
12-14-2009, 19:29
Duff - Double-walled tents have condensation too. The difference is you have a "tent" inside the outer "tent" to keep you from touching it.

From my limited experience the condensation on a single-walled tent (in my case the Lunar Solo) is easily taken care of with a pack towel. Just check the tent when you wake up during the night. If there is condensation wipe it off with your towel (bandanna) as needed and before you move around in the morning.

brooklynkayak
12-14-2009, 20:41
90% of my outdoor experience is in single wall shelters. Usually in very humid Atlantic Coast conditions.

1) People make too big of a deal about condensation. It does no harm. A little dampness is nothing. If you don't let it bother you, it won't.

2) Ventilation is key. I've heard horror stories about how the condensation soaked someones sleeping bag. This can only happen if there isn't enough air flow to vent the water vapor. I have never experienced bad condensation, but I wouldn't want to sleep in a shelter with no ventilation.

3) Double wall tents have less internal room per ounce of weight. A bigger shelter suffers less form condensation and you have more comfort from the extra living space.

FamilyGuy
12-15-2009, 01:05
I much prefer double walled shelters for the ability to manage the effects of condensation better than a single wall. However, for the same space and pole structure, the single wall will be lighter and pack smaller.

schnikel
12-15-2009, 10:41
2) Ventilation is key. I've heard horror stories about how the condensation soaked someones sleeping bag. This can only happen if there isn't enough air flow to vent the water vapor. I have never experienced bad condensation, but I wouldn't want to sleep in a shelter with no ventilation.

I agree with this. If you think condensation is going to be an issue, just get some air moving through the tent. This may not keep it 100% clear but will help to a point that you will notice and do it again the following night.

Lyle
12-15-2009, 11:13
90% of my outdoor experience is in single wall shelters. Usually in very humid Atlantic Coast conditions.

1) People make too big of a deal about condensation. It does no harm. A little dampness is nothing. If you don't let it bother you, it won't.

3) Double wall tents have less internal room per ounce of weight. A bigger shelter suffers less form condensation and you have more comfort from the extra living space.

I agree with this post entirely. I use The One most of the time. It has served me well in heavy rain, wind, and light snow. I also think folks become overly concerned with condensation.

I have had one particularly bad night to deal with condensation in The One. It was a cold, all-night rain type of night with absolutely no breeze. Very uncommon. I had terrible condensation that night, and The One tended to allow the condensation to drip from the tent right over my face and feet. The good part was that it would wake me up, and I could wipe down the tent, but it was definitely a repetitive process throughout the night.

Most nights by far are dry, even with heavy rain and/or snow. The breeze is the key, as well as where you choose to set up.

I also agree that your bag getting a bit damp one or two nights is no big deal. It will not become saturated to the point that it stops working. If you doubt that, try washing a down garment - it takes a lot of effort to get the down to saturate.

Take every opportunity of dry, sunny, breezy weather to hang out your down bag, and the effects of condensation and your nightly sweating will be totally eliminated in most instances. If necessary, after a long stretch of rain, spend a bit of time in town and run your bag through a couple of dryer cycles. It will be good as new. Getting a bit damp is not detrimental to a decent down bag.

I own and like The One. At the same time, I find the Lightheart very appealing. Especially after Ramble-on's review. My bet is that you will enjoy and be happy with either. It's more important to learn to use the gear you buy to it's fullest potential than it is to always get the absolute "best", whatever that is.

Berserker
12-15-2009, 13:52
Duff - Double-walled tents have condensation too. The difference is you have a "tent" inside the outer "tent" to keep you from touching it.

From my limited experience the condensation on a single-walled tent (in my case the Lunar Solo) is easily taken care of with a pack towel. Just check the tent when you wake up during the night. If there is condensation wipe it off with your towel (bandanna) as needed and before you move around in the morning.

These are 2 excellent posts on the subject of condensation, and pretty much sum everything up. I almost exclusively use single wall tents, and have to deal with condensation on most trips. If the tent is well ventilated usually the condensation amounts to a thin film that can be easily wiped off with a pack towel or something similar. In extreme cases I have had condensation drip down (or knocked off by wind and/or rain) on me, but that is not a common occurrence.

I agree with BK in that people make a huge deal out of something that is pretty much a non issue. If one is expecting to go out and their shelter and stay bone dry then the expectations are unrealistic. Weather-wise it can be nice for days, but one can still get damp at night time due to humidity. That is just how it is around these parts.

stranger
12-17-2009, 02:40
Condensation really cannot be prevented, so no matter what you use, single wall, double wall, hammock, tarp, etc... You are going to have some at times.

From my understanding, condensation occurs when there are different temperatures on either side of something (in this case tent fabric). Single wall tents are more prone because they retain more heat (generally speaking), so the temperature inside the tent is considerably different than the temp outside. Likewise, the more ventilated a shelter, the less heat it will retain, and the less likelyhood of substantial condensation forming because the difference in temperature isn't as extreme.

For example:

Take two bone dry glasses, fill one with water at room temperature, fill the other with cold water and a few ice cubes...come back 20 mins later, the one with the ice will have condensation all over the outside of it, while the other glass will be dry.

As as others have pointed out, site selection is quite important, and I don't understand why - but setting up in a field will get you much more condensation than under a tree for some reason!

skinewmexico
12-17-2009, 04:28
Double wall tents tend to be more idiot proof, single wall tents take a specific skill set.

garlic08
12-17-2009, 09:43
...As as others have pointed out, site selection is quite important, and I don't understand why - but setting up in a field will get you much more condensation than under a tree for some reason!

My understanding is it has something to do with blackbody radiation. On a clear night, a body exposed to the sky will loose more heat by radiation than one that is covered. I hear water can even freeze (or frost can form) when the temperature is slightly above freezing under calm, clear sky conditions. I have seen this happen, in a meadow along the PCT--two identical Tarptents, pitched the same time 200' apart, one under a lone tree was bone dry, one out in the meadow was soaking wet.

Tinker
12-18-2009, 00:34
I've gotten condensation under a tarp, fer cryin' out loud!
One key to minimize it is to use a groundsheet in your vestibule. A lot of moisture actually comes from the ground (not as much as comes from one's body). The floor of the tent prevents it from going straight to the "ceiling" for the most part, but moisture evaporating from the ground (especially in grassy areas, where the grass actually transpires it) inside the vestibule condenses readily on the inside of the fly there.
Here's another area where a hammock shines: there's lots of room for airflow between the ground and the bottom of your rainfly.