PDA

View Full Version : My Fears and a Hope

Andal
12-14-2009, 18:19
Hey,
I'm from Germany and I am going do start my through-hike on March 1st 2010.
I'm really excited in a postive way, but I'm really frightened by the posibility to be attacked by snakes or a bear.
So I hope you could help me to diminish my fear.
I know, it's very unlikely...but this scares me.
So I have the hope, that there is somenone who wants to be my partner.
It's not necessary for the hole trail, but for the beginning it would be a great help.
So, if there someone is interested, please write me a pm.

I know...my english is not the best...

emerald
12-14-2009, 18:25
Your English is fine. The only thing I noticed was hole should have been whole. They're what we call homonyms, words that sound the same but are spelled differently.

There are only two kinds of venomous snakes on the A.T. that could harm you. I'll be back in just a minute with some links. Both bears and snakes want nothing to do with you and will ordinarily leave the area before you're even aware of them.

Bags4266
12-14-2009, 18:29
And as far as finding any hiking partners... you will find PLENTY at that time of departure.

emerald
12-14-2009, 18:37
There are only two kinds of venomous snakes on the A.T. that could harm you.

Click on timber rattlesnake (http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/wildlife/rattlesnakes.aspx) and copperhead (http://www.fish.state.pa.us/copprhe.htm) to learn about these interesting creatures. Both are protected species in Pennsylvania where it's unlawful to hunt, take, catch or kill them without a permit.

Hooch
12-14-2009, 18:43
Guessing PA has a low Pentecostal population. :rolleyes::D

emerald
12-14-2009, 18:50
Sorry, temporary problem accessing file. I'll verify it's still valid and repost it later today.

I now see what PGC's been up to. They've reinvented their website. I hope that doesn't mean all my links I posted here over the last several years are no longer good. Their website may be more user-friendly, but will take some time for me to grow accustomed to it.

All that aside, here's the new page of black bear links.

http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/black_bear/14343 (http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/black_bear/14343)

Marta
12-14-2009, 19:10
One way to minimize your chance of encountering either snakes or bears is to hike during daylight hours. Both creatures come out at night during the summer.

If it helps calm your fears, during my thru-hike, I did not see any bears, and only saw one rattlesnake. They are really not all that common.

njordan2
12-14-2009, 19:50
I almost stepped on a fat as* rattle snake a couple of years back. About 3 inches before my foot planted on it, I threw my foot sideways to miss it. He curled up and started rattling and even struck out a couple of times at me. Basically, I just kept moving down the trail. It's not like he was going to chase me. Other than that, there were only two other run ins with venomous snakes within striking distance.

Basically, bring a snake bite kit with you that has the syringe to suck the poison out. They say these are more effective than the rubber suction cup kind. But neither one is works great. The best on the market is made by Sawyer. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to use it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5XyZaDE7c Keep it on an outside pocket and practice taking your pack off and getting to it. You should be able to complete this task in less than 30 seconds.

If you are prepared in this way, you have done something to keep yourself from worrying about being bitten by a snake.

The best news is that 3 out of 4 surprise bites, (as opposed to predatory bites when the snake is hunting), have no venom delivered from the snake. He just wants to inflict enough pain on you to make you leave. He needs his venom to hunt his dinner.

singing wind
12-14-2009, 19:57
Hello Andal,

Snakes and bears are of course are part of the natural environment - neighbors, I suppose. If it's any help, over many years of being out in the Eastern US woods I have yet to see a rattlesnake and only one bear. I am aware of their presence and would prefer not to see them - and do my my best to take sensible precautions like looking where I put my hands and feet on and around the trail and bear bagging appropriately.

As for other hikers, sounds like you'll be starting early in the pack and there'll will most likely be quite of few people out walking - either short or long distance. Groups tend to form and change and some folks find they prefer hiking alone for a bit. All in all I find the AT to be a very social trail.

Enjoy your hike and have a great time.
Good luck!

singing wind

gravy4601
12-14-2009, 21:07
i will be thru hiking this year also and over the last 3 years have been doing section hikes and have met peouple from every state and country you'll have many hiking partners to chose from

seeya on the trail

Mongoose2
12-14-2009, 21:33
Hey,
I'm really excited in a postive way, but I'm really frightened by the posibility to be attacked by snakes or a bear.
It's not necessary for the hole trail, but for the beginning it would be a great help.

Andal, welcome to Whiteblaze! I lived in Germany for four years and hiking is very similar to a Volksmarch, just longer and harder! In the years I have been hiking I have only seen one snake.....and one bear. They will avoid you if possible. I would not worry about this, and I would caution you about using a "snake-bite kit." Most experts will tell you they do more harm then good. Again, don't worry about the snakes and bears, worry about blisters and twisted ankles. You will find many good partners out there on and after March 1st. Good luck!

daylaandjasper
12-18-2009, 17:47
Andal,

I plan to start March 4, I hiked before in 2001. You will meet many people right from the beginning and they will all be incredibly cool people. I made life long friends on my hike 9 years ago. Thruhikers have an instant bond- you will get to know people better in 2 days than people you have known for years.

Any bears you see will be afraid of you and run away. I saw two my whole thruhike. Poisonous snakes are not much of a concern either- I saw two or three in PA. You will likely see a few black snakes- they are harmless. Hope to run into you on the trail!

Nomaderwhat
12-19-2009, 21:36
The same things worry me, but hell.. worrying is my nature. Just carry something that jingles for the bears, and watch where the heck you step for the snakes.

atraildreamer
12-20-2009, 11:33
They're what we call homonyms

Don't ask...don't tell! :eek::banana

Welcome to WB! :welcome

Jester2000
12-20-2009, 14:40
Hey,

Well, your english is far better than my German. I can say "good luck", and I can ask questions but not understand the answers.

As for your fears -- you will be fine. I don't believe a thru-hiker has ever been killed by a snake or a bear. While there are snakes and bears out there, for the most part they don't want anything to do with humans. And in the places where they do occasionally have encounters with humans, there tend to be a lot of humans around (The Smokies, for example).

As for a hiking partner, at that time of year you will find one on the trail quickly if you want one.

ShakeyLeggs
12-20-2009, 15:34
Basically, bring a snake bite kit with you that has the syringe to suck the poison out. They say these are more effective than the rubber suction cup kind. But neither one is works great. The best on the market is made by Sawyer. There is a video on YouTube that shows how to use it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ux5XyZaDE7c Keep it on an outside pocket and practice taking your pack off and getting to it. You should be able to complete this task in less than 30 seconds.

Sorry but that is wrong and dangerous.

Prevent a second bite or a second victim. Snakes can continue to bite and inject venom with successive bites until they run out of venom.

Identify or be able to describe the snake, but only if it can be done without significant risk for a second bite or a second victim.

Safely and rapidly transport the victim to an emergency medical facility unless the snake has positively been identified as harmless (nonvenomous). Remember, misidentification could be fatal. A bite without initial symptoms can still be dangerous or even fatal.

Provide emergency medical care within the limits of your training.

Remove constricting items on the victim, such as rings or other jewelry, which could cut off blood flow if the bite area swells.

If you are in a remote area in which transport to an emergency medical facility will be prolonged, you should apply a splint to the affected limb. If you do apply a splint, remember to make sure the wound does not swell enough to make your splint a tourniquet, cutting off the blood flow. Check to make sure toes and fingers are still pink and warm, that the limb is not going numb, and that pain is not getting worse.

If you have been bitten by a dangerous elapid and have no major local wound effects, you may apply a pressure immobilizer. This technique is mainly used for Australian elapids or sea snakes. Wrap a bandage at the bite site and up the extremity with a pressure at which you would wrap a sprained ankle. Then immobilize the extremity with a splint, with the same precautions concerning limiting blood flow. This technique may help prevent life-threatening systemic effects of venom, but may also worsen local damage at the wound site if significant symptoms are present there.

While applying mechanical suction (such as with a Sawyer Extractor) has been recommended by many authorities in the past, it is highly unlikely that it will remove any significant amount of venom, and it is possible that suction could actually increase local tissue damage.

The two guiding principles for care often conflict during evacuation from remote areas.

First, the victim should get to an emergency care facility as quickly as possible because antivenom (medicine to counteract the poisonous effects of the snake's venom) could be life-saving.

Second, the affected limb should be used as little as possible to delay absorption of the venom.

A number of old first aid techniques have fallen out of favor. Medical research supports the following warnings:

Do NOT cut and suck. Cutting into the bite site can damage underlying organs, increase the risk of infection, and does not result in venom removal.

Do NOT use ice. Ice does not deactivate the venom and can cause frostbite.

Do NOT use electric shocks. The shocks are not effective and could cause burns or electrical problems to the heart.

Do NOT use alcohol. Alcohol may deaden the pain, but it also makes the local blood vessels bigger, which can increase venom absorption.

Do NOT use tourniquets or constriction bands. These have not been proven effective, may cause increased tissue damage, and could cost the victim a limb.

stranger
12-20-2009, 17:47
The good thing about snakes is that only two types of snakes actually bite:
- Surprised Snakes
- Angry Snakes

A snake does not know it's a snake, it does not know you are afraid of it, and all snakes are much more fearful of humans than we are of them. On top of that, nothing along the east coast can kill you, so worst case scenario you get hit by a rattler and you simply sit down, wrap the bite tightly but not too tight (venom does not enter the bloodstream, it's carried in the tissue, so there is no need to minimize bloodflow) and wait for another hiker to stroll along.

Even here in Australia, where many of the worlds most dangerous snakes live and are relatively common in the bush, it's very rare to ever hear of anyone actually bitten by a snake, despite almost daily sightings in some areas. I really would not worry about snakes along the AT.

Bears don't attack people, bears want food however, and in the unlikely event of a black bear getting aggressive they will be searcing for food. Keep your food hung away from your tent and make sure others do as well, there's nothing like waking up at 3am because some jackass didn't feel like hanging their food and a bear has come around looking for it.

LYME DISEASE: Spend your time worrying about this one, this is far more serious for a long distance hiker.

shelterbuilder
12-20-2009, 23:12
Hey,

Gruss Gott und welkomen zum WhiteBlaze! :welcome (See, your English is better than my German!)

If you are lucky enough to see either a bear or a poisonous snake, it will be something that you will remember for the rest of your life. Neither one will "attack" you - in fact, they will probably try to get out of your way as fast as they can. Bears will be looking for food - YOUR food will be less tempting if it is bear-bagged (hung from a tree limb that's too high for the bear to reach). Snakes don't like to be handled, stepped on or sat on - so watch where you put your hands, feet and rear end.

I used to be afraid of snakes, but I've realized that they are part of the environment and belong there - we are "guests" in their "home". In 35 years of hiking, I've seen fewer than a dozen poisonous snakes - they are beautiful, but at a respectful distance.

Good luck with your hike.

Blissful
12-20-2009, 23:43
You chances of attack by snake or bears is next to nothing. You have much greater chances of falling, getting injuries, etc. Just be careful but have a good time and be positive

wrongway_08
12-21-2009, 13:54
Don't worry about the snakes - they won't bite unless you go after them or step on them. As far as those stupid "snake bite kits - they are useless and a waste of money and effort. They will do more harm then good. If you do get bit - just walk out and get a ride to the hospital - don't worry, you'll be in a world of hurt but you aint going to die (unless you have some weird arse heart problem or something - even then its not a big worry).

As far as the bears go, you really have to try and get them to come to you, even then they will only sniff you and check you out. Thats if you are lucky enough to get one that doesnt haul butt when you get 1/2 a mile away.

Anyway, have fun on the hike - take you're time and enjoy!!!!

Toolshed
12-21-2009, 14:24
Gruss Gott und welkomen zum WhiteBlaze! :welcome

..... Oh my god.... a southerner.........