PDA

View Full Version : Almost time

Marmotnj
12-14-2009, 23:00
I plan one leaving march 28 on my NoBo hike. Finishing up getting my equipment together, I can't wait to get out there. i think about leaving everyday. how is everyone else dealing with the last couple months?

Old Hiker
12-15-2009, 14:01
I plan one leaving march 28 on my NoBo hike. Finishing up getting my equipment together, I can't wait to get out there. i think about leaving everyday. how is everyone else dealing with the last couple months?

Hating you for getting out ahead of me by two years!!

Do you have a gear list somewhere? I'm in FL and I'm trying to decide what cold weather clothing to take 29 Feb '12. It's been a while since I was in North Dakota or northern Germany.

Good luck on the hike - keep us posted on Trailjournals.com or somewhere like it!

BrianLe
12-15-2009, 14:18
"how is everyone else dealing with the last couple months?"

If I start feeling at all antsy, I pause for a moment and reflect on how often next year I'll be wishing I could be sitting in front of my TV set in a warm, dry room with a clean body and clean & dry clothing, a cold drink and junk food at my side ...

Blissful
12-15-2009, 16:52
Feb hike - need layers and a down jacket.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 17:33

I think about leaving on another hike everyday. We will be out doing magic for you fools in late March and April

Young Gun
12-15-2009, 20:12
Ill have all my equipment this month but money may be another issue I got cut down to 10 hours a week at work making minimum wage and just cant find another job but im in good spirits anyway I just may have to delay my start date

Marmotnj
12-15-2009, 23:06
you know one thing i never really thought of, and i kind of feel silly now, what is the average temps down in Georgia around march and april?

Hooch
12-15-2009, 23:15
you know one thing i never really thought of, and i kind of feel silly now, what is the average temps down in Georgia around march and april?Cool to cold to warm to anywhere in between. One day it may be sunny and warm, the next day it may be cold and raining or snowing. Be prepared for about any type of weather possible. In the NC mountains we have a saying: If you don't like the weather, stick around for 15 minutes, it'll probably change. The same is true for Georgia. Good luck on your thru, regardless of the weather.

schnikel
12-16-2009, 00:44
Cool to cold to warm to anywhere in between. One day it may be sunny and warm, the next day it may be cold and raining or snowing. Be prepared for about any type of weather possible. In the NC mountains we have a saying: If you don't like the weather, stick around for 15 minutes, it'll probably change. The same is true for Georgia. Good luck on your thru, regardless of the weather.

Yep. Last year I heard it rained non stop in March up til the 18th or so. I started hiking North on the 19th and had the best weather ever all the way to cheese factory site... about 65 miles of NO RAIN AT ALL!

Just shows you never know!

tintin
12-16-2009, 07:37
All my prep is going well. I have my flights booked, most of my equipment sorted and money saved. I also have an interview on the 6th of January for a grant for the thru-hike with a charity called the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust. I have to do some work if I get the grant, but it will be worth it as I won't have to touch my savings! Bonus!!!

I have a lot of American friends and I'm looking forward to catching up with them as much as I am thru-hiking the AT! I haven't seen one of them in well over 5 years.

The main thing I still have to get sorted is my visa which I hope won't be to problematic. 88 days to go!

Good luck marmotnj!

Marmotnj
12-16-2009, 08:48
thanks you too tintin. 101 days to go!

Guy
12-16-2009, 12:35
If I start feeling at all antsy, I pause for a moment and reflect on how often next year I'll be wishing I could be sitting in front of my TV set in a warm, dry room with a clean body and clean & dry clothing, a cold drink and junk food at my side ...

I'm going to have to try this approach! Thanks for that BrianLe!

mountain squid
12-16-2009, 15:40
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs003.gifand http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-signs027.gif!

Don't forget some sunscreen for the inevitable, unseasonably warm day.

See you on the trail,
mt squid