PDA

View Full Version : Best outfitter for thru-hike in GA

tintin
12-15-2009, 08:37
Apologies if there is a similar thread (I did search).

I will be staying with a friend in Macon, GA when I arrive in the US. It's not too far away from Atlanta and Mt Springer. I've read lots about what weather to expect, but it in these current times; it now varies so much from year to year. It never gets too cold in the SW of England and even then, I've been in tropical climates for the past 3 winters. I can read about how cold it is, but it doesn't actually mean that much to me as I can't really relate to it. I'm planning to procure my cold weather kit in the US and want sound advice. The cold is my biggest worry and I don't want to buy over the internet.

Can anyone recommend (based on experience) a good outfitters near Atlanta or Macon (don't know how well known this place is)?

Many thanks in advance.

Hooch
12-15-2009, 08:55
Mountain Crossings is in Blairsville, GA, about 2 hrs from Atlanta. It's probably one of the best outfitters along the trail.

Two Speed
12-15-2009, 09:03
Gonna second Hooch on Mountain Crossing. They are pricey, so be careful with your wallet.

bigcranky
12-15-2009, 09:16
+1 on Mountain Crossings. They are at mile 30 on the Trail itself. You can easily stop by there before you start your hike, depending on your plans.

There are several large chain big-box outfitters in Atlanta (REI, etc.), but they don't specialize in long distance hiking. Mountain Crossings does.

mountain squid
12-15-2009, 09:24
Do not underestimate the cold. You will have cold weather. Even if you start off with the warmest days on record, expect it to get cold again. Do not underestimate the cold.

I'll fourth the vote for Mountain Crossings (http://www.mountaincrossings.com/index.asp).

See you on the trail,
mt squid

tintin
12-15-2009, 09:30
Looks like I've got my answer! I'm more than happy to carry extra weight if it means I'll stay warm.

Cheers

white_russian
12-15-2009, 09:34
Yep, this is one of those questions where the answer is pretty clear cut. Mountain Crossings is what you want.

schnikel
12-15-2009, 10:07
Mountain Crossings gets my vote as well. If you go before the hike and get what you need, when you walk thru again (literally) if you need changes or if something doesn't fit right, or if you just don't like something the staff will go out of their way to accomodate you however they can.

Walked in there with a friend last March who had horrific bllisters on both feet, actually hiked in clogs they were so bad. We stopped at Mtn Crossings and they bought back her boots which she had bought there a year previous and had a couple hundred miles on 'em for full prise and put that money to another pair that fit her good.

You don't find that in many shops! My vote is for Mtn. Crossings!

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 18:00
The number of Outfitters on or near the A.T. that happen to be better managed, staffed, stocked, or more reputable and reliable than Mountain Crossings can be counted on the fingers of one hand, and in fact, can be counted if you're missing a couple of fingers.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2009, 18:10
Mountain Crossings.

max patch
12-15-2009, 18:20
You mentioned you needed cold weather gear. If you are talking about a hat, gloves, undies, fleece, and a jacket then coming from Macon I'd drive 2 hours to REI in Atlanta first rather than 4 hours to Mountain Crossings. REI has ex thru hikers that work there too.

If REI doesn't meet your needs -- or if you need more than just some clothes -- then continue on to Mountain Crossings.

tintin
12-15-2009, 19:14
You mentioned you needed cold weather gear. If you are talking about a hat, gloves, undies, fleece, and a jacket then coming from Macon I'd drive 2 hours to REI in Atlanta first rather than 4 hours to Mountain Crossings. REI has ex thru hikers that work there too.

If REI doesn't meet your needs -- or if you need more than just some clothes -- then continue on to Mountain Crossings.

Thanks for that tip. A friend said REI would be a good bet, but with all these rave reviews it's hard to ignore Mountain Crossings.

I have a lot cold weather gear, it's really a question of performance v practicality v suitability for a thru-hike starting in Georgia in March (it's the last two I'm unsure of). I could always lug all my stuff over to the US, carry it for 30 miles and then exchange it for what I need. I fly out of Boston and have a local friend who is happy to receive stuff on my behalf. I'm just debating about the outer-layer really as I think I have everything else pretty much sorted (but that's what I kind of want to check).

I'm thinking of an ultra lightweight down jacket (7.0 oz) I have and using it with a rain jacket if the weather is wet, rather than carrying a single multi-purpose jacket. I will be carrying 3 merino wool base-layers, 2 merino long-johns and a good mid layer with me - I can always get rid of one of what I don't need and it's not exactly a back breaking amount of weight.

Guess these dilemmas/inner-debates are what all potential thru-hikers go through and all part of the experience! 89 days till d-day...

Hooch
12-15-2009, 19:26
Thanks for that tip. A friend said REI would be a good bet, but with all these rave reviews it's hard to ignore Mountain Crossings....... Whatever you decide and whatever outfitter you go to, best of luck on your thru, Tintin. I'll be following your Trailjournal with interest.

Skidsteer
12-15-2009, 19:32
Thanks for that tip. A friend said REI would be a good bet, but with all these rave reviews it's hard to ignore Mountain Crossings.

I have a lot cold weather gear, it's really a question of performance v practicality v suitability for a thru-hike starting in Georgia in March (it's the last two I'm unsure of). I could always lug all my stuff over to the US, carry it for 30 miles and then exchange it for what I need. I fly out of Boston and have a local friend who is happy to receive stuff on my behalf. I'm just debating about the outer-layer really as I think I have everything else pretty much sorted (but that's what I kind of want to check).

I'm thinking of an ultra lightweight down jacket (7.0 oz) I have and using it with a rain jacket if the weather is wet, rather than carrying a single multi-purpose jacket. I will be carrying 3 merino wool base-layers, 2 merino long-johns and a good mid layer with me - I can always get rid of one of what I don't need and it's not exactly a back breaking amount of weight.

Guess these dilemmas/inner-debates are what all potential thru-hikers go through and all part of the experience! 89 days till d-day...

REI is fine if you already know exactly what you want and you know they carry it.

MintakaCat
12-15-2009, 20:34
Mountain Crossings gets my first place vote too. But if you got to go to REI, ask for Geo. He's knows more than most of the folks there.

springerfever
12-15-2009, 20:36
Save a lot of aggrevation and time by going to Mountain Crossings. They know what works and how to cut ounces (sometimes pounds) off your pack weight. Only top notch gear usually retail prices, but sometimes you will find bargains.

I love my MontBell ultralight down liner jacket. No pockets/zippers/etc just premium down in a great material and fits like a glove.

If you show your ATC membership card, sometimes they can discount your purchase.

Duff
12-15-2009, 21:42
There's a great small outfitter in East Elijay just about fifteen minutes outside the entrance to Amicolola Falls State Park. Georgia Mountain Outfitters is the name I think; they also have a decent website. While not an REI type selection, they have stuff that people need for the trail. They know their stuff and not too pricey. Very hiker-friendly and they can arrange shuttles. Worth the stop.

bigcranky
12-15-2009, 22:41
I'm thinking of an ultra lightweight down jacket (7.0 oz) I have and using it with a rain jacket if the weather is wet, rather than carrying a single multi-purpose jacket.

You'll be much happier separating your warm layer from your rain shell layer. I single multipurpose (warm/waterproof/insulated) jacket is fine for sitting around camp, but pretty useless when actually hiking. When it's cold and raining sideways, you want a rain shell over a base layer, with your nice warm down jacket safely tucked away inside your pack.

Sailor (The other one)
12-16-2009, 06:45
If you haven't read Just Passin' Thru by Mountain Crossings owner Winton Porter, at least read my review on my site below. The book gives an accurate view of what Mountain Crossings is about.
Go to Mountain Crossings first. Take notes. Then see if you can get the gear they recommend cheaper, like maybe at REI.
This is the type of advice the people at Mountain Crossings will give you. They've done it for me. As the book demonstrates, they really are more interested in helping hikers than in sucking in every dollar they can.
Given the months you'll spend on the trail (lucky you!), it will be well worth the extra drive.

Gaiter
12-16-2009, 07:11
here in atlanta, there is a REI and a Half-Moon Outfitters (in Virginia highlands neighborhood)...... but really the best thing is to drive to Mountain Crossings (its not just the gear, its the very knowledgeable staff that is there)

white_russian
12-16-2009, 08:35
Then see if you can get the gear they recommend cheaper, like maybe at REI.

This is a dick move and not going to save much money.

Mountain Crossings and REI both (and most brick and mortar outfitters) pretty much sell things at MSRP. You may save $10-20 bucks, but you screw over the people who kept you from making stupid mistakes.

Sailor (The other one)
12-16-2009, 09:19
This is a dick move and not going to save much money.

As I said, they recommended this to me.
- And, Alpine recommended a rain jacket they don't carry.
- He recommended a pack for my wife that they don't carry.
- When my re-supply box failed to arrive at Mountain Crossings, the staff talked me out of buying my food at Mountain Crossings and gave me a free 36-mile round trip ride so I could re-supply cheaper.
- When I wanted to buy a more-expensive pack, they urged me to buy a less expensive one.

Nevertheless, we buy all we can at Mountain Crossings to support them even when we can get things cheaper from other sources.

The dick move here is your misplaced insult.

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 09:23
what? winton? said what? winton told you who slept with bobcat? and im the father!? no way.

thanks for any imput.

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 09:26
not buying stuff at wintons is wrong. i heard of a guy who used the free comdoms from a bar and got pregnant.

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 09:27
the cool thing to do at mountain crossings is to walk in and faint. they give ya cold soda then.