PDA

View Full Version : Winter Bag

hikingbear
12-15-2009, 10:34
I am looking to purchase a down bag for my thru hike. My goal is to find one that will keep me warm and bring down my weight of my pack.

Is 30 oz for a 15 degree 800 goose filled bag good? Or can I find one that weighs even less.

Thanks

Lyle
12-15-2009, 10:55
What bag are you referring to? Not all manufacturers give accurate temperature ratings, and even those that attempt to be conservative can't guarantee their ratings for everyone. This is a very subjective area.

That said, several manufacturers have a reputation for conservative, more reliable ratings. Those include Western Mountaineering, Montbell, Feathered Friends. These are top-of-the-line bags. Others like Marmot, North Face, Mountain Hardware, while not as conservative as the above, are not overly optomistic about ratings. The third tier are the more optomistic manufacturers like REI, Eastern Mountain Sports, GoLite. They all make good quality bags that can last a long time, but some may not keep you toasty warm all the way down to their advertised rating.

Ask about a specific bag, and folks will be happy to give you their experience with it.

hikingbear
12-15-2009, 11:02
I have been looking at quite a few. The one I was asking about is Mountain Hardwear Women's Phantom.

My main goal is trying to get my weight down. So I was wondering if 30oz is about right or can I go lighter.

Thanks

BrianLe
12-15-2009, 11:09
Sounds about right --- my WM Ultralight model (http://westernmountaineering.com/index.cfm?section=products&page=Sleeping%20Bags&cat=ExtremeLite%20Series&ContentId=17) is rated by them at 20 degrees and weighs just about exactly 30 oz. I hadn't seen the particular hierarchy the Lyle gave, but it all sounds right to me, so a wild guess might be that your MH 15F bag is about as warm as my WM 20F bag (?).

Two Tents
12-15-2009, 11:28
For the price range you are in with the Mountain Hardwear bag you should look seriously at a Western Mountaineering bag. They are the top of the line,USA made bags. The 15 deg. and 30 oz. is about right. A lot of people, me included, will tell you the WM ratings are conservative.

Two Tents
12-15-2009, 11:33
Also you might want to check out Nunatak bags if the weight thing is more important than price. Just sayin. http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/product_sleep_systems.htm

Lyle
12-15-2009, 11:35
I've not used that bag, so couldn't comment on temp rating, other than the generalities I gave earlier.

I did look up a Montbell UL SS #1, which is a 15* bag. It has a total weight of 36 oz.

The Western Mountaineering Apache MF is a 15* bag and weighs 32oz.

With all this my opinion would be that it's in the ballpark of weight vs warmth. It is a bit lighter than the top tier manufacturers similarly rated bags, so it may not live up to it's temp rating entirely. But like I said earlier, these ratings are very subjective anyway.

It's probably a fine bag that will serve you well. You may need some extra clothing to actually get to 15* though.

ShelterLeopard
12-15-2009, 12:43
I am looking to purchase a down bag for my thru hike. My goal is to find one that will keep me warm and bring down my weight of my pack.

Is 30 oz for a 15 degree 800 goose filled bag good? Or can I find one that weighs even less.

Thanks

Mountain Hardwear Women's Phantom 15 degree down, 1 lb 14 oz. Not bad.

bigcranky
12-15-2009, 13:00
A good 15-F down bag at sub two pounds is good. The Phantom is a nice bag.

kcol27
12-15-2009, 13:54
I have a MH women's phantom 15 degree bag and love it. I've had it a couple years now and it has always kept me very warm (too warm in warmer temps!) when camping/backpacking.

I decided to test it, my tent and sleeping pad in my backyard one night last week in the snow and below freezing temps to see if my system would keep me warm in colder temps in prep for my thru in '10. I think overnight with the wind, the temp dropped into the teens, but my bag did a good job of keeping me nice and toasty (although my family thought I was slightly nuts!)

hikingbear
12-15-2009, 14:06
Thanks for all the input!

Blissful
12-15-2009, 16:59
Also depends on your start. Good degree bag for March start but I'd bring a silk liner also. Can get to single digits and teens.

I'll tell you, I love my Montbell UL down hugger #1.

scope
12-15-2009, 17:25
I have a MH women's phantom 15 degree bag and love it. I've had it a couple years now and it has always kept me very warm (too warm in warmer temps!) when camping/backpacking.

I believe the Phantom has a half zip as opposed to the WM bags. If weight and cost are similar, I'd go with a full zipper, much easier to hang your legs out when needed, or otherwise vent.

Tom Murphy
12-15-2009, 17:53
MARMOT bag ratings are based on the EU standard and very conservative.

I am extremely happy with my SAWTOOTH. [MARMOT 15 deg, 600 fill down].

I saved about $200 over their lightest model at this ratings, the HELIUM.

It costs some serious money to go UL.

Good luck.

garlic08
12-15-2009, 18:38
I got real lucky and found my Marmot Helium on Steep'n'Cheap for less than $200. That's an excellent bag and I think the women's model is less than 30 oz (when new--I noticed mine gaining a few ounces over the years from dirt and body oils that don't quite wash out). If you shop carefully and mix in some luck, going UL for the sleeping bag does not necessarily have to be that much more expensive.

toenail
12-18-2009, 12:15
I have a marmot pinnacle 15 degree bag. I am a cold sleeper, and have been comfortable @ 30 degrees in base layer and sock cap. Everyone is different. Also, a lot of winter hikers wear a down coat in the bag for extra insulation.

Egads
12-18-2009, 23:00
Get a Montbell #0 and thank me later :banana
I presume that you'll switch bags out in VA after it warms up

Zoooma
12-19-2009, 18:03
Also you might want to check out Nunatak bags if the weight thing is more important than price. Just sayin. http://www.nunatakusa.com/site07/main_pages/product_sleep_systems.htm

:eek: $551 for the 5°F bag for my height... but only 32 oz.

You can buy a beat up and rusting but running used car for that!

Egads
12-19-2009, 20:49
:eek: $551 for the 5°F bag for my height... but only 32 oz.

You can buy a beat up and rusting but running used car for that!

That may be true, but a well cared for down bag will last for 10-20 years

daylaandjasper
12-20-2009, 01:52
I have a WM ultralite and the 20 degree rating is accurate. having a full length zip vs half length is a big bonus.