PDA

View Full Version : Are WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

Pages : [1] 2

prain4u
12-15-2009, 11:19
Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year?

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--as we are now deep into the time when people are planning their upcoming hikes.

What do others think? (What to the actual statistic show?)

Sly
12-15-2009, 11:26

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--as we are now deep into the time when people are planning their upcoming hikes.

I don't know the stats but if people use the search function it should be less busy. Almost every question has been answered a 1000 times.

Jester2000
12-15-2009, 11:27
Perhaps hikers are getting better at searching for the info they need in older threads.

Two Tents
12-15-2009, 11:49
Could be people are afraid if they ask a question that was already asked before some troll lurking here will jump on them. Heaven forbid a stupid question be asked.

mudhead
12-15-2009, 12:03
Very insightful.

Hyway
12-15-2009, 12:04
I have an overwhelming sense of familiarity with this thread that shouldn't be familiar at all.

weary
12-15-2009, 12:25
I think we have become a less exciting forum, thanks, perhaps, to too many negative comments as has already been suggested. But also, I suspect, because we have become over regulated and over moderated.

The free flow of ideas has been muffled. It's ideas that keep a discussion interesting, and folks asking questions, commenting, and answering.

And, of course, the number of long distance hikers is declining as the population ages and as competing leisure activities take precedent.

Weary

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2009, 12:33
I don’t think people using the "Search" function is a significant factor in the decline. I believe a bigger factor is the heavy moderation, but also it’s just the natural life and death cycle of everything. People are just burning out on the repetitiveness of the subject matter. I haven’t been here near as long as many and I feel that burnout when I look over the titles.

There are little flare ups now and then, but it does seem to be dying down. And without the great thread-battles the newbies become bored and don't help to keep the momentum going.

So why the apparent short life cycle of this website; maybe hiking in general is losing it's appeal as an activity, despite the apparent rescission-related spike of recent.

In short, I don't know just throwing a couple thoughts out there.

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2009, 12:36
I think we have become a less exciting forum, thanks, perhaps, to too many negative comments as has already been suggested. But also, I suspect, because we have become over regulated and over moderated.

The free flow of ideas has been muffled. It's ideas that keep a discussion interesting, and folks asking questions, commenting, and answering.

And, of course, the number of long distance hikers is declining as the population ages and as competing leisure activities take precedent.

Weary

I don’t think people using the "Search" function is a significant factor in the decline. I believe a bigger factor is the heavy moderation, but also it’s just the natural life and death cycle of everything. People are just burning out on the repetitiveness of the subject matter. I haven’t been here near as long as many and I feel that burnout when I look over the titles.

There are little flare ups now and then, but it does seem to be dying down. And without the great thread-battles the newbies become bored and don't help to keep the momentum going.

So why the apparent short life cycle of this website; maybe hiking in general is losing it's appeal as an activity, despite the apparent rescission-related spike of recent.

In short, I don't know just throwing a couple thoughts out there.
Oh crap! did we just have a mind meld? Imagine that:D

scope
12-15-2009, 12:36

Weary

I call BS on this one. Let's see if we can get the numbers up. :-?

ChinMusic
12-15-2009, 12:44
I have an overwhelming sense of familiarity with this thread that shouldn't be familiar at all.
"gimme a 't'"..........;)

Mags
12-15-2009, 12:56
Has anyone noticed what time of the year it is? People are busy with social obligations, shopping (for better or worse) and just the business of the seasons in general.

The test is in Jan/Feb when or if things pick up..esp as thru-hiking season rapidly approaches.

superman
12-15-2009, 14:00
The important thing to remember is that I'm as interesting as ever but some of you people...welll...boring.:D

taildragger
12-15-2009, 14:49
I blame hunting season, back when I was hunting I wasn't on this site out all, I was out hiking and getting dinner. Just enjoying the good real life where I don't have to deal with internet personalities and mods, it'll be awesome when I get back out there after this wednesday.

ChinMusic
12-15-2009, 14:52
I blame hunting season....
Did we lose THAT many hikers this year?

Wear orange folks..........

sasquatch2014
12-15-2009, 14:54
I blame hunting season, back when I was hunting I wasn't on this site out all, I was out hiking and getting dinner. Just enjoying the good real life where I don't have to deal with internet personalities and mods, it'll be awesome when I get back out there after this wednesday.

so are you saying that Internet mods with guns out in the woods on the AT during season is the problem? I am sure that would change if they took their ultralight dog with them. :D

taildragger
12-15-2009, 14:59
so are you saying that Internet mods with guns out in the woods on the AT during season is the problem? I am sure that would change if they took their ultralight dog with them. :D

Nah, its just feral hogs that are the problem. I know that to some people here there is a close correlation between the two, but feral hogs are known for intelligence and procreation, thats how you can tell them apart :banana

Yukon
12-15-2009, 15:33
The fact that I have watched a number of posts be deleted from this thread already might be one aspect. Who wants to post when their posts just get deleted? Completely over moderated website...

Jester2000
12-15-2009, 15:41
The fact that I have watched a number of posts be deleted from this thread already might be one aspect. Who wants to post when their posts just get deleted? Completely over moderated website...

Yes! Or, um, I remember that just a few years ago, the complaint was that lack of moderation meant that new people were turned off by all of the unproductive squabbling, and so didn't post.

It's all so confusing . . .

taildragger
12-15-2009, 15:44
Yes! Or, um, I remember that just a few years ago, the complaint was that lack of moderation meant that new people were turned off by all of the unproductive squabbling, and so didn't post.

Which meant that people like me could tell you that you needed to carry at least 48 rolls of tp, a chain saw, 42 condoms (you know, to waterproof your pack), a 7200 CI bag, and a four season mountaineering tent for an overnight trip, and if you were condescending and telling me that I was a jerk, then your post got deleted. Which brings us to today :sun

Alligator
12-15-2009, 15:46
The fact that I have watched a number of posts be deleted from this thread already might be one aspect. Who wants to post when their posts just get deleted? Completely over moderated website...What happens is that people just come to stir the pot in threads like this. It's part of the user agreement not to go on about posts that have been deleted.

rcli4
12-15-2009, 15:51
I don't think it is over moderation. It is selective moderation. If you go to trailjournals and look at the gearlist from 8 - 10 years ago they carried very little that is carried now. The people that have the freedom to post whatever they want, haven't thru hiked in years. A lot of their info was gathered at hiker feeds from drunk hikers. They are allowed to say anything about anything and if you disagree you are moderated, so you end up with the same thing being said over and over.

Clyde

Alligator
12-15-2009, 15:56
I don't think it is over moderation. It is selective moderation. If you go to trailjournals and look at the gearlist from 8 - 10 years ago they carried very little that is carried now. The people that have the freedom to post whatever they want, haven't thru hiked in years. A lot of their info was gathered at hiker feeds from drunk hikers. They are allowed to say anything about anything and if you disagree you are moderated, so you end up with the same thing being said over and over.

ClydeThat's completely untrue. People from across the board have had their posts moderated.

Alligator
12-15-2009, 15:58
That's completely untrue. People from across the board have had their posts moderated.A common theme though is that many who have have engaged in personal attacks on other members.

rcli4
12-15-2009, 16:00
That's completely untrue. People from across the board have had their posts moderated.

Your approach proves my point. Thank You sir.

Clyde

Jester2000
12-15-2009, 16:03
Which meant that people like me could tell you that you needed to carry at least 48 rolls of tp, a chain saw, 42 condoms (you know, to waterproof your pack), a 7200 CI bag, and a four season mountaineering tent for an overnight trip, and if you were condescending and telling me that I was a jerk, then your post got deleted. Which brings us to today :sun

Well, sure. If a person can't figure out a way to disagree with someone without being condescending, a jerk, or resorting to ad hominem attacks, then they shouldn't find it all that surprising that their posts are deleted.

People incapable of self-moderation tend to have outside moderation imposed upon them. Just like in real life.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2009, 16:04
Don't dis da 'gator. He's actually lightened up a lot.

Alligator
12-15-2009, 16:06
Your approach proves my point. Thank You sir.

ClydeYour point was that there is selective moderation and that former thruhikers who gathered information from drunk hikers were free to post and were not moderated. Unusual premise to begin with but no it's not true and your assertion is not proved.

sasquatch2014
12-15-2009, 16:15
What happens is that people just come to stir the pot in threads like this. It's part of the user agreement not to go on about posts that have been deleted.

It's like the Amish we are just supposed to shun them and act like they are dead to us.

rcli4
12-15-2009, 16:17
Sir,
I said go look at gear list. The things that pass as fact here, because of selected moderation are no longer relevent in some cases. Case in Point, go to articals and look at Mr. Tarlins entry for Erwin and 19E. Both are mostly clouded by his opinion which is factually wrong but allowed to stand because he wrote it. At the time it was written it was contested and the opposing opinions were deleted. This is an arguement I cannot win with an administrator, so to you I say, Good Day, Sir

Clyde

taildragger
12-15-2009, 16:19
People incapable of self-moderation tend to have outside moderation imposed upon them. Just like in real life.

Really? I'm very condescending to idiots in real life and no one has moderated me, because the other people were being idiots. Sometimes its good to put someone in their place. Doing it all the time and without merrit, yeah, then you'd get slapped, by a :banana

Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 16:26
Gee, Gator.......answer a person's question as to why numbers are down and you get moderated.........which is considered questioning your power.

Simply stating the fact that you overmoderate isn't questioning as to why said moderation is done.

If it is, then the power has truly gone to your head.

harryfred
12-15-2009, 16:27
This thread started out making some valid points, at least giving some things to think about. Now, like a lot of threads, it is going down hill fast. FTR I don't think this is over moderated.

ChinMusic
12-15-2009, 16:34
This thread started out making some valid points, at least giving some things to think about. Now, like a lot of threads, it is going down hill fast. FTR I don't think this is over moderated.
Don't ya just hate the steep downhills?

Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 16:35
Which is your opinion. Which is okay to post.

But if you state the downturn in numbers is due to overmoderation, it is deleted.

Simply stating the fact that it just MAY be from overmoderation is considered a violation of Terms.

Didn't question why something was moderated.....just simply gave an opinion that down numbers just MIGHT be from overmoderation.

Sue me for having an opinion.

(waiting for this to be deleted as well.)

Alligator
12-15-2009, 16:37
Gee, Gator.......answer a person's question as to why numbers are down and you get moderated.........which is considered questioning your power.

Simply stating the fact that you overmoderate isn't questioning as to why said moderation is done.

If it is, then the power has truly gone to your head.Time and time again it comes to this power thing. It's not but no matter that I say it's not some of you will always think it is. Whatever. I just try to keep the place civil. That means follow the user agreement please. Having seen threads like this before, I was fairly certain folks would use it as a platform for dredging up past moderation.

taildragger
12-15-2009, 16:38
Don't ya just hate the steep downhills?

Thats what poles are for, or toboggins (sp?) if'n you're lucky enough to have some snow

Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 16:39
Time and time again it comes to this power thing. It's not but no matter that I say it's not some of you will always think it is. Whatever. I just try to keep the place civil. That means follow the user agreement please. Having seen threads like this before, I was fairly certain folks would use it as a platform for dredging up past moderation.

Simply stating a point is not questioning authority or attacking anyone's decisions.....it is an opinion.

Thank you for not moderating my opinion.

The Weasel
12-15-2009, 16:44

What happens is that people just come to stir the pot in threads like this. It's part of the user agreement not to go on about posts that have been deleted.

A common theme though is that many who have have engaged in personal attacks on other members.

As someone who may well be among the leaders in deleted posts, closed threads and generally heavy moderation, I have a few observations:

First, discussions like this end fast when the topic becomes - even in part - whether the level of moderation here is too heavy. The moderators, including Alligator, do not approve of criticism, and their power, whether wielded wisely or not as some might opine, comes from ATTroll, whose site this is, and who has the right to do approve of that level of moderation.

Second, I think quantitatively there is a lower level of posts. There is a certain inhibiting factor to moderation (First Amendment lawyers refer to this as the "chilling effect" of censorship) which keeps people from posting when they have been moderated in the past, even with innocent posts. This means that qualitative nature of many posts goes down, as well.

Lastly, when opinion and feelings need to be left out of posts, what is left is less interesting, as being factual or objective, and hence generates fewer responses. "How much gas do I need to boil a quart of water" isn't a topic that will go on for a long time.

What is left is a fairly innocuous gear-and-locations site, with some psychobabble from all of us about "how does it feel to hike" and so on. In short, it's now very similar to Trailplace before it fell apart (although even TP back then had one 'authorized' viewpoint, which meant it felt a lot like one hand clapping). That's not a bad thing; TP gave me a lot of incentive and information to hike, and did for a lot of others. Of course, TP's downfall was the creation of a raucous, rowdy, crazy, anything-goes site that became a huge success for being that way.

But that was then, and this is now. Value WhiteBlaze for what it is; it is a very useful site for people who need hiking information, especially about the AT.

TW

Alligator
12-15-2009, 16:48
MB opinions are not sacrosanct. Without going into specifics, there are limitations for those in the user agreement.

CaseyB
12-15-2009, 16:50
This place used to be a lot more fun.

mudhead
12-15-2009, 16:51
Earlier today, a very well worded post was put up in regards to a person's experience on other boards.

It went away.

Perhaps it was collateral damage.

It was a good, straight forward post, and should be read by all WhiteBlaze members. My opinion.

Alligator
12-15-2009, 16:57
The Weasel you left the site and started going by Rusty when it was moderated less. I have heard time reconciling that with what you just wrote.

The Weasel
12-15-2009, 17:01
Time and time again it comes to this power thing. It's not but no matter that I say it's not some of you will always think it is. Whatever. I just try to keep the place civil. That means follow the user agreement please. Having seen threads like this before, I was fairly certain folks would use it as a platform for dredging up past moderation.

I feel a sense of sadness about this post. Over time, I've come to think that Alligator does not act out of a sense of "I have the power," and I have always understood that he acts from the best of intentions for WhiteBlaze and the users here. And, as I suggested in the post a little bit ago, he is doing what ATTroll wants, and that's the only "vote" that really counts.

But I wish sometimes that Alligator, who seems to do the vast majority of deletions and thread closures, could have a better understanding of how "keeping it civil" doesn't mean that he has to make unilateral decisions like, "This thread is going off topic and is closed" where there is no uncivility going on. Nor does it have to mean, "Post deleted" when someone makes a crusty comment; I don't agree with a lot of Lone Wolf's opinions, and sometimes in the past his - and, I emphasize, mine, maybe even more so -statements went way over the line. But LW's (and many others) were valued ("pithy" was a multi-layered comment that was often used) and added some delight and spice to puncture (mine and maybe a few other's) pomposity.

That's all gone now, because WB's Moderators differ from some of us about what "civil" means. To some of us, "civil" means open, clear, specific opinions, including on things that involve how politics and culture affect the AT and hiking, short of a line that involves threats, vulgarity, and personal attacks. That's a broad definition than our Moderators have, and - I emphasize it again - they are in charge, not us, as they seem to view "civil" as "non-controversial" and scrub WB accordingly.

So I've been wrong: Alligator - as is each of the Moderators here - is, I think, possessed of the best of intentions. There is, however, a road made of those. Nevertheless, I thank him for what he has tried to do. I hope he's right in the long haul.

The Weasel

The Weasel
12-15-2009, 17:02
The Weasel you left the site and started going by Rusty when it was moderated less. I have heard time reconciling that with what you just wrote.

As I said earlier, 'That was then, and this is now.' Perhaps you - and maybe a few others - will reconcile it better when you read my post above.

TW

Disney
12-15-2009, 17:03

While it is true that a fair number of the regular posters have left or severely cut back on posting, there are quite a few new faces who pop up everywhere.

JokerJersey
12-15-2009, 17:07
Well, it could also be due to a lot of repetative nonsense, imo. I've only been hanging around for about a year and have seen the same comments coming from the same people over the same topics more times than I can count. After awhile, you can almost place bets on who will say what to whom and how that person will respond.

Then you get into the people who post who have absolutely NOTHING to add to the conversation, seemingly just to have something to say. Take the post I made about Boot Camp vs. Thru-hike, asking which was harder. Out of the 3 pages of replies it got, 75% of the people admitted up front they hadn't done EITHER of the two things I was asking about. What exactly is the point of that? Then, out of the 25% that was left, most of those admitted to having only done one OR the other, so at best, that's a half-baked opinion. I think I honestly got only 4-6 people who had actually done both. Keep in mind, I tried to keep it as broad and civil as possible, trying not to get into the age-old debate about which branch of the service was harder...but inevitably, it was still tossed into it within a page.

I have learned a lot from reading things here on the site, but what I'm most glad for is that I've identified those people who I feel have honest, factual opinions based off experience. Now I can just PM them when I have a question and avoid those who want to post incessantly just to hear themselves talk. If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother. :D

mudhead
12-15-2009, 17:08
You can't expect them to read that. I read it and was embarrassed that I read the whole thing. Jeez Louise.

I need an aspirin.

#44 I speak of.

kanga
12-15-2009, 17:09
Well, it could also be due to a lot of repetative nonsense, imo. I've only been hanging around for about a year and have seen the same comments coming from the same people over the same topics more times than I can count. After awhile, you can almost place bets on who will say what to whom and how that person will respond.

Then you get into the people who post who have absolutely NOTHING to add to the conversation, seemingly just to have something to say. Take the post I made about Boot Camp vs. Thru-hike, asking which was harder. Out of the 3 pages of replies it got, 75% of the people admitted up front they hadn't done EITHER of the two things I was asking about. What exactly is the point of that? Then, out of the 25% that was left, most of those admitted to having only done one OR the other, so at best, that's a half-baked opinion. I think I honestly got only 4-6 people who had actually done both. Keep in mind, I tried to keep it as broad and civil as possible, trying not to get into the age-old debate about which branch of the service was harder...but inevitably, it was still tossed into it within a page.

I have learned a lot from reading things here on the site, but what I'm most glad for is that I've identified those people who I feel have honest, factual opinions based off experience. Now I can just PM them when I have a question and avoid those who want to post incessantly just to hear themselves talk. If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother. :D
shelters suck.

The Weasel
12-15-2009, 17:10
. *** If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother. :D

Maybe Mom has more experience, and knows more, than you think. Give her a call. Listen. Don't hang up. :rolleyes:

TW

taildragger
12-15-2009, 17:11
shelters suck.

Yeah, they're full of mouse traps

bigmac_in
12-15-2009, 17:11
I'm thinking the "cool kids" have found something better to do - like hanging out somewhere smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. :cool::D;):rolleyes:

JokerJersey
12-15-2009, 17:12
Maybe Mom has more experience, and knows more, than you think. Give her a call. Listen. Don't hang up. :rolleyes:

TW

ROFL. Sorry TW, wayyy off base there. I have a relationship with my mom that most people couldn't even begin to comprehend. I not only love my parents, but like them as friends. Nice way to jump to conclusions though.

ChinMusic
12-15-2009, 17:14
Yeah, they're full of mouse traps
Can't post in that thread anymore......:confused:

The Weasel
12-15-2009, 17:15
*** If I wanted broad sweeping opinions not based in experience about any range of topics...I'd just call my mother. :D

ROFL. Sorry TW, wayyy off base there. I have a relationship with my mom that most people couldn't even begin to comprehend. I not only love my parents, but like them as friends. Nice way to jump to conclusions though.

Glad to hear that.

TW

Rain Man
12-15-2009, 17:19
Is it my imagination, or are the WhiteBlaze Forums less busy this year? ...

What do others think? ...

Yes, I think it's your imagination.

And, for what it's worth, I think the moderation on WB has increased tremendously (for the good) in the past year or so, back to more like it used to be in the beginning.

Rain:sunMan

Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 17:20
MB opinions are not sacrosanct. Without going into specifics, there are limitations for those in the user agreement.

Believe me.....you have proven that point time and time again.

Which again answers the question as to why numbers are down.

There is a time for moderation, and a time to step back and let things occur as to appear not to be heavy-handed.

There are three moderators for the General forum.....not a single one balked at my comments.

Monkeyboy
12-15-2009, 17:27
Sorry........I stand corrected.

There are four moderators for the General Forum.

Not a single one balked at my comments.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 17:30
Wow, I dont get on here all day and look what happens:D That was a joke!!

My observation is that people are exploring more threads than just the general forum. I have noticed that more threads are being moved to proper places. Some people have just gotten tired of some of the BS (wont go into it) and left and gone over to the other site.
Also, and I think Mags said it, its the holiday season. It always dies down a little. The thruhiker stuff will kick back up closer to mid march when the Rucks start up.
AND, when people get "picked on" for being opinionated it starts a snowball affect.

warraghiyagey
12-15-2009, 17:33
I pointed that out almost verbatim but it was deleted. . . . . :-?

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 17:35
I pointed that out almost verbatim but it was deleted. . . . . :-?

Probably because it was from you:D:D:D:D

warraghiyagey
12-15-2009, 17:35
Probably because it was from you:D:D:D:D
Yeah, my point exactly. . .

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 17:38
Yeah, my point exactly. . .

Its poo I tell ya. Poooooooooooo

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 17:56
Was going to stay away from this one but since another poster decided once to again criticize me by name, I feel the need to respond:

I think the moderation here at Whiteblaze is perfectly fair and I reject the asssertion by Clyde that some folks have "special" status here.

For example, contrary to what he implied, I have been moderated many times; I've had posts deleted or edited; I've been admonished both publicly and privately by moderators; I've even been warned once or twice to straighten up some of my posts or risk being put on "moderated" status, i.e my posts would require approval before posting.

So Clyde's assertion about some folks here having special privileges is simply false, period.

Personally, I think the moderation here is just fine; if anything, I'd like to see some threads and some posters even MORE moderated, especially that handful of bitter unhappy people who spend most of their time contributing little or nothing to the website other than attacking specific posters they dislike, with no regard to what these folks have actually posted. Some of these folks really need to get a life.

But as the moderators being over-zealous or unfair? No, I don't think so at all.

Lastly, a note to Clyde who mentioned how biased and innacurate my comments were about Erwin and 19E in an article I'd written.

Of course Clyde, in his personal attack, cited no specifics, so I can only assume he was speaking of my Re-Supply article.

So I re-read it.

Keep in mind what is posted in this Article was written in February of 2007, i.e. several years ago.

Much of what I wrote was about Miss Janet's place, which at the time, was indeed the overwhelmingly favorite place for hikers to stay in Erwin at the time the article was written. This is simple fact.

As to 19E, I stated that most hikers preferred not to Re-supply in Roan Mt. or Elk Park but instead, preferred to continue on and re-supply after they got to Dennis Cove, i.e. Kincora. This was certainly true in 2007 and I think it is still true today.

I further mentioned several other facilities and spoke well of them based on what I'd heard from other hikers; I mentioned that I'd never personally visited these places at the time the article was written; I did this throughout the articles as I felt that revealing this information was important.

It should further be noted that NOWHERE in my article's comments about Erwin was anything negative or unkind said about any facility, business, or individual, so in truth, I can't see any basis for Clyde's complaint about my
comments re. Erwin/19E. It would help if he'd provided specifics, but I guess that was too difficult; all he chose to do was attack me personally with no grounds.....which of course, according to his complaint, is something that can't be done here as I'm "protected" somehow.

Clyde's own comments, and the fact that his groundless and false personal attack was allowed to stand (and I have no problem with this)........well the very fact that he could come here and anonymously attack me for the 40th time......well this sort of disproves his original assertion.

Everyone here, without exception, is subject to moderation when moderation is called for, and in fact, some people aren't subject to it enough.

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 17:58
I quite forgot the most important thing I was going to say:

I think the reason that posts seem to be down is very simple: It's ten days before Christamas and most folks have demands on their time that are more important than Whiteblaze. Believe it or not, some folks have a lot going on over the next week and a half. :D

Gray Blazer
12-15-2009, 18:00
I've been admonished both publicly and privately by moderators;
This is true. I was a witness and I must say, Jack, you took it to heart and have been great since then.

Peace out.......JJ

ChinMusic
12-15-2009, 18:04
Jack's photo has been removed from the bathroom at Mountain Crossings as well.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2009, 18:09

Is mine still up?

Ender
12-15-2009, 18:10
I think the reason that posts seem to be down is very simple: It's ten days before Christamas and most folks have demands on their time that are more important than Whiteblaze. Believe it or not, some folks have a lot going on over the next week and a half. :D

I agree with this completely... the reason the forums are quiet is that it's the holiday season.

Also agree with what you said in the previous post... the moderation here seems just about right to keep this place running smoothly.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 19:02
3..............2................1................. .....

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 19:04
... the moderation here seems just about right to keep this place running smoothly.

too bad most DISagree with you

rcli4
12-15-2009, 19:04
Bless you Jack. I can't argue with you. It's not allowed.
I used your artical as an example. It was not meant as an attack on you. I'm sure you remember at the time you posted your artical Miss Janet's was not the only place to stay, but you left them out. This was just an example. Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. You hardly need me pileing on at this time in your life.

Clyde

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 19:08
stir the pot .

http://www.thenewstyle.org/hernandez/blogstuff/toilet_doo.jpg

Pedaling Fool
12-15-2009, 19:13
I admit I sometimes post stuff to tweak others, but just for fun and I welcome others to try and spin me up...I bet you can't:sun

I'm a little sick of the old recurring threads, but I'm really sick of christmas, I don't participate in that crap anymore. Are people really that busy this time of year for this stupid holiday that gets you to spend, spend, spend...

Graywolf
12-15-2009, 19:17
Not only is it the holiday season, but if I recall, several regular posters were planning winter hikes...So maybe everyone is out hiking instead of sitting at the computer talking about hiking..

Me, I'm going hiking,:banana

BYE!!!!

Graywolf

Ender
12-15-2009, 19:59
too bad most DISagree with you

Or at least, the loudest people disagree with me.

Bulldawg
12-15-2009, 20:48

Weary

I'm thinking the "cool kids" have found something better to do - like hanging out somewhere smoking cigarettes and drinking beer. :cool::D;):rolleyes:

Believe me.....you have proven that point time and time again.

Which again answers the question as to why numbers are down.

There is a time for moderation, and a time to step back and let things occur as to appear not to be heavy-handed.

There are three moderators for the General forum.....not a single one balked at my comments.

Interesting

This is true. I was a witness and I must say, Jack, you took it to heart and have been great since then.

Peace out.......JJ

Suck up

We can remedy that this weekend.

And....FWIW, I tend tho think that we are all adults and can self moderate to a point. If you don't like something, by God, don't read it. If it really offends you, hit the report button. In fact, the main reason I am no longer a moderator is I felt like the only time I really needed to hover over the group and protect them was when someone hit the "report post" button. Grown ups don't need someone hovering over them like a mother hen protecting them from the mean internet personalities out there (Gator). If they are offended, they know what to do. But some ADMINs here have taken the power given them to mean they are supposed to decide for all of the rest of us here what is proper to be read. In fact, at one time I was under the impression it was the moderator's job to moderate and the Admin's job to back up the decisions made by the moderators. I have that theory on very good authority. However, certain ADMINs here delete or censor threads and posts before anyone can even think of hitting the report post button. Before we can even decide for our adult selves, what constitutes decent behavior. But such is the Day of Our Lives and As the World Turns I guess. Now, how long will this post be allowed to stand?? Anyone taking bets?

And anyone who says there aren't certain people here who get away with more and are allowed to say more than others is absolutely totally full of $hit!!!

weary
12-15-2009, 21:19

The problem is not moderating, but intelligent moderating. When out of the blue I'm told I can no longer post because I'ver violated the rules. And when I protest, mildly, no one replies. Wingfoot, at least, would argue with me. A good internet site requires an exchange of ideas. Call it arguing if you wish. But exchange is essential. Cut it off and the site eventually dies. All we are engaged in here is a transition -- from a failed site, to a living vibrant site, that can live with new ideas, new perspectives.

Weary

Tuckahoe
12-15-2009, 21:21
I have only recently become active with this forum and I honestly cannot say whether WB is more or less active than previous, but I would like to make a few observations.

First off, WB is sort of a one topic forum about backpacking the AT and most folks are attracted to the site because it is a good resource for information. That is why I first started coming to the website. And there in part is the problem. New folks are always going to be coming to the site asking the same questions that are asked and answered each and every day. Those that have been around for a while may get tired of answering those same questions. Which to me comes to the next issue, and that is how much can we rehash the same topics over and over? It would seem to me to that after while just posting about backpacking would get to be boring and stale.

And as this is a forum dedicated to backpacking, there will be peaks and valleys regarding participation as folks take to the trail or return home.

Others have brought up the level of moderation. Maybe it could be eased up on a bit? I don’t know. There have been a couple threads that have been locked, that I didn’t think was anywhere near being a problem or something that needed to be moderated closely. Some were maybe a little more impassioned than others, but I didn’t see a problem.

What I am getting at though, is once we get beyond backpacking, what is there to keep folks coming back here? I don’t see a problem allowing a bit more discussion of topics beyond backpacking.

Blissful
12-15-2009, 21:31
I don't have a problem answering the same questions if I can be of any help. We were all new once and had those same questions. And sometimes we need to ask them again as new products come out, new trails open, new perspectives embraced. And simply put, I just LOVE the AT and the hikers who do it! So I like to talk about it, even if it's another question about the pocket rocket. :).

If you get bored by a forum that helps hikers achieve their dream, move on.

jnanagardener
12-15-2009, 21:32
I check WhiteBlaze once a day because I appreciate the quality and depth of the responses. Some real quality folks out there who take the time to help. Yes there are a number of other sites and resources. But for on the spot, immediate resources, this site is the straight dope. If you're reading this, thank your self. If not, well, you don't know what you don't know...Quality over quantity!

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 21:33

Will stick with original statement:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 21:33
I check WhiteBlaze once a day because I appreciate the quality and depth of the responses. Some real quality folks out there who take the time to help. Yes there are a number of other sites and resources. But for on the spot, immediate resources, this site is the straight dope. If you're reading this, thank your self. If not, well, you don't know what you don't know...Quality over quantity!

Good post:D

weary
12-15-2009, 21:42
That's completely untrue. People from across the board have had their posts moderated.Many thanks Alligator for so bluntly illustrating the problem. Now work on the solution.

Chaco Taco
12-15-2009, 21:46

http://www.funnypicturefunnyphoto.com/funny-picture-photo-child-toilet-massdistraction-pic.jpg

weary
12-15-2009, 22:03
...I think the moderation here at Whiteblaze is perfectly fair and I reject the asssertion by Clyde that some folks have "special" status here. For example, contrary to what he implied, I have been moderated many times; I've had posts deleted or edited; I've been admonished both publicly and privately by moderators; I've even been warned once or twice to straighten up some of my posts or risk being put on "moderated" status, i.e my posts would require approval before posting.

So Clyde's assertion about some folks here having special privileges is simply false, period.....
Whatever. My posts have been deleted, threads have been closed to me, some threads have been closed entirely.... once I was banned from the site entirely. No one has ever seriously explained why. It's my suspicion however that it is mostly because my political views aren't always those of the owner of this site -- or possibly, with the political views of those the owner has chosen as moderators, perhaps both.

I stick around because I find trail debate interesting, when it is allowed. Plus I've reached an age where 10-hour-a-day trail work is just too onerous. I need a periodic break. Since Wingfoot abdicated, White Blaze is a reasonable substitute. No less bigoted, but still interesting at times.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 22:14
Clyde:

Yup. You're dead right. I didn't mention all of the lodging places in Erwin, i.e. all of the hostels, campgrounds and motels.

But if memory serves, this didn't just happen in the Erwin section.

There must be around 30 motels in Gorham for example, and I not only didn't name all of these establishments, I don't think I named ANY of them.

Likewise, in the Gatlinburg section, I failed to name all 429 lodging places available to hikers. I gues this shows horrible bias on my part.

Um, no, it doesn't. There are actually hundreds of facilities and businesses I didn't mention in my Article, Clyde. But then again, the article wasn't about lodging places. It's main focus was on Re-Supply. In fact, that's what the Article was titled.

I guess Clyde missed that part.

Imentioned Miss Janet's because it was the overwhelming favorite place to stay in Erwin in 2007, and also because it was uniquely located: Hikers that stayed there could very easily re-supply and get their other town errands done; also, hikers that weren't overnighting there were permited to leave their stuff there while they ran their town errands, which was not only a great kindness, but also a great convenience. So if I highlighted this unique place, there were many good reasons.

In short, the information that Clyde says I was lax in omitting was readily available in the various guidebooks that all hikers carried, or at least the information was available with the exception of places that were no longer listed in all the guidebooks.

But I'm not sure Clyde wants to re-hash all of this, right?

And lastly, Clyde suggested that it's simply not possible to argue with me here at Whiteblaze, or to disagree with me.

With all due respect, Clyde, what planet have you been on recently?

People disagree with me and argue with me here every single day. It happened today. It will in all likelihood happen tomorrow.

So Clyde, it's not that one can't argue with me here.

I suggest instead that some people are better at it than others, i.e. their arguments with me have merit, substance, and coherence.

I trust this makes things clearer for you.

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 22:17
Weary:

I suspect that the moderation or deletion of the posts you mention was not because the site administrators don't care for your politics.

I think it likelier that this moderation took place because political discussion, of any stripe, is strongly discouraged here, and it's been that way for quite some time.

And of course, it wasn't only YOUR posts that were dealt with.

It happened to all sorts of folks, of all sorts of political persuasions, too.

weary
12-15-2009, 22:24
...First, discussions like this end fast when the topic becomes - even in part - whether the level of moderation here is too heavy. The moderators, including Alligator, do not approve of criticism, and their power, whether wielded wisely or not as some might opine, comes from ATTroll, whose site this is, and who has the right to do approve of that level of moderation.

Second, I think quantitatively there is a lower level of posts. There is a certain inhibiting factor to moderation (First Amendment lawyers refer to this as the "chilling effect" of censorship) which keeps people from posting when they have been moderated in the past, even with innocent posts. This means that qualitative nature of many posts goes down, as well.
....But that was then, and this is now. Value WhiteBlaze for what it is; it is a very useful site for people who need hiking information, especially about the AT.

TW
A very wise post, though I tend to suspect that ATTroll is less in control, than that he has stumbled into something that is way over his head or ability to control. He may have just chosen a lesser obnoxious way out.

But let me add, that this comment is mostly supposition. I've met ATTroll briefly, a couple of times. But we have never had a serious conversation. He lives only 30 or so miles away. Occasionally, I've suggested he join one of my guided walks on one of our town land trust trails. But so far, as far as I know, no response.

Weary

Two Speed
12-15-2009, 22:32
Clyde:

Yup. . . . I trust this makes things clearer for you.Clyde's already apologized in Post #72. What more do you want?

Johnny Thunder
12-15-2009, 22:35
What more do you want?

BRAINS!!!

This thread was attacked by zombies.

rcli4
12-15-2009, 23:03
Jack this is not about you. Jack I used your artical as an example. Jack I should have used someone else. Jack, you don't need me to point out your short comings, at this time in your life.

Good day sir
Clyde

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 23:04
Two Speed:

I suggest you go back and re-read #72 again.

The post begins with Clyde asserting that it isn't permitted to argue with me here on Whiteblaze, the implication being that I'm either never wrong, or that I have some sort of special rights and privileges here.

Which is absolutely false.

If this is Clyde's idea of expressing regret or apology, well, in all truth, he can keep it.

What do I want from him, you ask?

Pretty much same as I want from anyone, Two Speed. If someone is going to criticize someone else personally, use arguments and facts that stand up. Also, don't say things that you either can't back up or that are simply untrue. Oh, and maybe think about making contributions to this website that don't always seem to concern me. There are folks here who I wan't embarass by naming who contribute nothing here that's of any value but they never seem to miss the opportunity to jump on something I've said. Surely these folks have worthier things to discuss, right?

Or maybe some of them don't. In any case, it gets tired.

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2009, 23:07
"At this time in my life?"

I feel great, Clyde, and don't really know what you're talking about.

And your citation from the article was ridiculous. As I stated, Erwin wasn't the only place where I didn't mention EVERY business and facility. There were dozens of places where I didn't do this. Your criticism of me from beginning to end was senseless and without merit.

Sorta like the rest of your comments about me.

And truly, I think this dialogue is pretty much worn out, Clyde.

If you want to continue the conversation, do it without me.

Bulldawg
12-15-2009, 23:13
Jack, he said it wasn't about you. Clyde clearly stated he should have used another example. Calm down and step away for a moment, everything on this website is not always about you.

rcli4
12-15-2009, 23:14
"At this time in my life?"

I feel great, Clyde, and don't really know what you're talking about.

And your citation from the article was ridiculous. As I stated, Erwin wasn't the only place where I didn't mention EVERY business and facility. There were dozens of places where I didn't do this. Your criticism of me from beginning to end was senseless and without merit.

Sorta like the rest of your comments about me.

And truly, I think this dialogue is pretty much worn out, Clyde.

If you want to continue the conversation, do it without me.

I said Good day sir!

Clyde

dixicritter
12-15-2009, 23:29
Wow! Not surprising to see some things never change.

Mags
12-16-2009, 00:10
"I say good day Sir"...

Is it me..or would this be really killer to hear in British accent!!!! :sun

How about Willie Wonka instead?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKG07305CBs

prain4u
12-16-2009, 01:12
O.K. Folks---I started this thread. May I now suggest that perhaps it is time for us all to make our final comments and wrap it up (basically one more round of comments for everyone)--then the moderator lock it up (and maybe even delete it?) Does that sound fair enough? I have received the answers to the questions that I initially raised-and no one has addressed the original questions for many posts anyway! : )

Let me make my own final observations--and wrap up my involvement in this tread:

1) My original questions were indeed sincere. I had taken a few month break from WhiteBlaze to do some other things in my life. I came back recently, and I immediately sensed that some things had changed (and indeed they have!). Some good changes---also some not as good changes (in my opinion).

2) As predicted by others, this simple thread quickly got "off topic" and became mean-spirited. That saddens me. There was no need for this to turn into a "fight".

3) In many ways, the greater moderation has led to a smoother site with less trash talking and less silly stuff. I appreciate that. I do believe people are probably using the "Search" function more before posting "new" questions that have already been answered multiple times. It does seem like there are less threads in the "General" and "Thru Hiker Specific" categories--but also more threads have been placed (or moved) to their "proper" sub-categories. That is probably a good thing.

4) On the other hand, the closer moderation has probably been (at times) too close and too "hands on". It has stifled good exchange of thoughts--and even sparked rebellion. The "rules" seem to be too closely and too rigidly applied. I would suggest that the moderators should not INITIATE any moderation activities on their own. They should step in ONLY when one of us contacts a moderator and raises a VALID complaint. (That is how MOST big forums operate--if no valid complaint is raised--then no moderation occurs. The moderators do not go looking for violations). It is actually OK to let us argue, fuss, fight and wander off topic. We can also choose to ignore threads and posts which offend us. WhiteBlaze will survive if the posters have a bit of a "longer leash".

4) Finally, having said all of that, I would also state that we ALL need to do a better job of "self-moderating". If we don't like (or don't want) to be overly moderated by outside forces--then we EACH need to do a better job of policing our own posts. There is no valid place for personal attacks on these forums (NOTE: "attacks" are different than constructive criticism or challenging someone's opinion--both of which are actually helpful and healthy). We should also probably stop OURSELVES from posting super silly, clearly rude, overly crude and way "off topic" posts. People who do such things on a regular basis should probably be barred from posting any comments that are not first screened by one of the moderators.

Thanks for answering my inital questions and thanks for enduring this overly long post.
I think all of the above things (and it being the holidays) have led to the lower number of recent posts--and they are possibly the reason why some good fellow hikers no longer seem to post much here.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 02:00
O.K. Folks---I started this thread. May I now suggest that perhaps it is time for us all to make our final comments and wrap it up (basically one more round of comments for everyone)--then the moderator lock it up (and maybe even delete it?) Does that sound fair enough? ***

Prain ---

With all due respect (and yes, for raising this issue, you are due much respect), no it is not time to "wrap it up" and then "lock it up."

That's the problem here: The belief that one should use power just because one has it. That's sort of like nuclear weapons; what's the point of having them if you can't use them? The answer should be - but usually isn't - evident: Sometimes the best solution to a small problem is to do nothing.

Thread drift, or even repetition, harms no one except the poor fool who starts reading and can't stop, and they already are demented. And sometimes, as a seed can be found in a manure pile, even late in the game a thread can go in interesting and wonderful directions. That's probably the single best thing that we could ask the Moderators/Admins to do: Stop closing threads when YOU think they over but no one is being nasty. "Thread drift" and "repeated ideas" aren't TOS violations. So cut the rest of us a little slack; this isn't debate club, although arguing with Jack can be fun (see above) and even Monkey Boy is capable of scoring very useful points (see above).

But if this website is supposed to be the equivalent of sitting around a campfire, stop shutting down conversations because it's "late." If people are talking softly, and not waking or disturbing others, for cryin' out loud, stop saying that everyone should stop talking. Roll over and go to sleep and let the rest of us harmlessly enjoy the camaraderie.

So no, there is more to be said, and perhaps most of it is drivel. If so, go read the Times or watch George Lopez or even (egad!) go walking. For those of us who aren't doing any of those right now, let us continue our chat.

In a word, moderate yourself. And let us try to do the same.

The Weasel

Heater
12-16-2009, 03:16
In a word, moderate yourself.

That was two words. :rolleyes:

Lone Wolf
12-16-2009, 07:22

It seems to me that there are a lot less original posts going up and fewer responses to those posts. I would think that the forums would be busier than they are--

traffic should pick up today. the secret website is down

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 08:23
Suck up

And anyone who says there aren't certain people here who get away with more and are allowed to say more than others is absolutely totally full of $hit!!!

I can't help it. I love porkchops!

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 08:25

Girl friend!! Wassup!?!?

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 08:26
I can't help it. I love porkchops!

OK, the porkchops, I understand it all now. I take back what I said.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2009, 08:27

nope. it's back up

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 08:27

Wassup F-tards!?!? And I mean that in the warmest way possible.

Heater
12-16-2009, 08:28

Secret Website? What Secret Website? :-?

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 08:28
nope. it's back up

Whoops, nice talkin' to ya.

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 09:56
Whatever. My posts have been deleted, threads have been closed to me, some threads have been closed entirely.... once I was banned from the site entirely.
Weary
Those of us who have actually seen an ivory-billed woodpecker haven't had that problem. . . :p

This thread is just a bunch of clucking hens. . . . .

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31Y3CEQX47L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Secret Website? What Secret Website? :-?

Please send our agents your home address. . .

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 10:24
Bless you Jack. I can't argue with you. It's not allowed.I used your artical as an example. It was not meant as an attack on you. I'm sure you remember at the time you posted your artical Miss Janet's was not the only place to stay, but you left them out. This was just an example. Sorry if I offended you, it was not my intention. You hardly need me pileing on at this time in your life.
Clyde

Jack this is not about you. Jack I used your artical as an example. Jack I should have used someone else. Jack, you don't need me to point out your short comings, at this time in your life.

Good day sir
Clyde

Clyde's already apologized in Post #72. What more do you want?

If there are those out there who think that those are sincere apologies, it goes a long way towards explaining why moderation is necessary.

rcli4
12-16-2009, 10:49
Jester

I said good day sir. Do you know what this means?

Good Day Sir.

Clyde

superman
12-16-2009, 10:54
If there are those out there who think that those are sincere apologies, it goes a long way towards explaining why moderation is necessary.

Those statements certainly sound sincere to me. Insincerity is when a person says that he won’t …. .. ... ……:)

scope
12-16-2009, 10:55
Frankly, I think Clyde needs to chill. The reason the site needs moderation is because people post ridiculous stuff which ARE personal attacks (disguised as honest opinions), which end up having to be defended. J-2000 was right to point out that there was no real apology there, and in fact was backhanded in a way that provoked a defensive response.

If Clyde has a problem with the wealth of info Jack has provided, then perhaps maybe he can offer a comprehensive set of it himself. Specifically, the resupply info probably needs to be updated, so have at it.

TD55
12-16-2009, 10:55
Jester

Good Day Sir.

Clyde

Somebody please define the meaning of this phrase.:-?

scope
12-16-2009, 10:57
Jester

Good Day Sir.

Clyde

I have no freakin' idea, other than its a very antiquated way of saying goodbye, or its a way of telling someone off in a sort of dignified way. You want to clarify?

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 11:11
Somebody please define the meaning of this phrase.:-?

Willy Wonka?

sherrill
12-16-2009, 11:12
I have no freakin' idea, other than its a very antiquated way of saying goodbye, or its a way of telling someone off in a sort of dignified way. You want to clarify?

Signature line by the character Fez of the TV show That '70s Show. No matter the conversation, it always ends when Fez says, "I said good day."

Fez: "Good day."
Eric: "But Fez..."
Fez: (Interrupting) "I said good day!"

Grampie
12-16-2009, 11:13

Let's not blame the moderators...They are just trying to keep this foram on the right track.:-?

rcli4
12-16-2009, 11:19
It means everything that needs to be said, has been said. If you read my post I said "as an example" when refering to Jack's artical. At the time he wrote it, he had a hard on for Uncle Johnny. Many people stated they had a good experience at Uncle Johnny's. He left it out and the post objecting were deleted. IT WAS AN EXAMPLE !!! Not an attack on Jack. If you don't think there has been selective moderation on this site, tell us about it. Everyone that has been here very long at all knows it. To say there is not, is foolishness.

I believe Jester knows what Good Day Sir means. He's just standing up for his buddy.

Clyde

Yukon
12-16-2009, 11:19
Let's not blame the moderators...They are just trying to keep this foram on the right track.:-?

It's only on the right track in your opionion, I have an opinion of my own.

scope
12-16-2009, 11:53
It means everything that needs to be said, has been said. If you read my post I said "as an example" when refering to Jack's artical. At the time he wrote it, he had a hard on for Uncle Johnny. Many people stated they had a good experience at Uncle Johnny's. He left it out and the post objecting were deleted. IT WAS AN EXAMPLE !!! Not an attack on Jack. If you don't think there has been selective moderation on this site, tell us about it. Everyone that has been here very long at all knows it. To say there is not, is foolishness.

I believe Jester knows what Good Day Sir means. He's just standing up for his buddy.

Clyde

tee hee... you said "hard on"... tee hee

OK, when you say that, it typically means you "favor strongly" whatever you have it for. So, he left out that other people had a "good experience" there? I think you're trying to say the opposite. Not sure, the whole "Good Day Sir" and your stubborn adherence to it as some sort of code is throwing me.

I'm beginning to think that you're speaking English english and that you're not realizing how you're coming off in written word. Certainly sounds to me like you're not happy with moderation and you want fair play, but your language used in the "example" comes off as a personal attack, especially with the whole "this stage of your life" stuff.

kanga
12-16-2009, 12:01
good god! it is sarcasm! what is wrong with you people? take the stick out.

Lugnut
12-16-2009, 12:06

This site is not over moderated, it is over administrated!

Blue Jay
12-16-2009, 12:13
I find this thread soooo sad. Those who protest moderation are making me want moderation even though I HATE moderation. On a side note, I would like to respectfiully request a place be made for political discussion. As I've said before the AT exists almost completely on public land and therefore exists almost completely due to political discussions. The words Democrat, Republican, conservative and liberal could be banned like profanity as really that is what they are. This step would make it more relevent and even possibly draw more intelligent interaction.

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 12:16
This site is not over moderated, it is over administrated!

Tru' dat!!:eek::eek:

scope
12-16-2009, 12:16

I would do that, but it can be messy.

But seriously, or not, am I being thick? Are Clyde and Jack best buds? Are they just pumping up the numbers here? Are you even referring to me?

kanga
12-16-2009, 12:21
it's not just you. it's alot of people taking smartarsed remarks waaaay to seriously. sometimes there just isn't anything to read into. there isn't anything here to get worked up about. some people just don't get that, they just huff and puff and bask in their own self-importance (not you). life isn't all that serious and no one gets out alive. i don't understand why some people just can't enjoy it. they've already made their own selves miserable, not the people that point out that they're being arses.

kanga
12-16-2009, 12:22
humor is dead and common sense is a superpower.

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 12:27
it's not just you. it's alot of people taking smartarsed remarks waaaay to seriously. sometimes there just isn't anything to read into. there isn't anything here to get worked up about. some people just don't get that, they just huff and puff and bask in their own self-importance (not you). life isn't all that serious and no one gets out alive. i don't understand why some people just can't enjoy it. they've already made their own selves miserable, not the people that point out that they're being arses.

Hey Kanga!!!;):rolleyes::banana:banana

scope
12-16-2009, 12:28
The words Democrat, Republican, conservative and liberal could be banned like profanity as really that is what they are. This step would make it more relevent and even possibly draw more intelligent interaction.

Oh, that would REALLY help. Agreed that many use these words in what I think they must believe are honest opinions that are really attacks. I think one of the arguments against moderation is that these folks need to be called out for writing in a provoking manner.

I say don't ban these political words, let's all learn how to use them appropriately and call out the ones who don't so they can learn. Not saying they will learn, but that's really the way its supposed to work.

Here's a word I'd like to use... INDEPENDENT

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 12:29
Oh, that would REALLY help. Agreed that many use these words in what I think they must believe are honest opinions that are really attacks. I think one of the arguments against moderation is that these folks need to be called out for writing in a provoking manner.

I say don't ban these political words, let's all learn how to use them appropriately and call out the ones who don't so they can learn. Not saying they will learn, but that's really the way its supposed to work.

What's wrong with CONSERVATIVE??

kanga
12-16-2009, 12:30
or ACCOUNTABILITY? if you wanna talk politics, that's the real dirty word.

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 12:36
or ACCOUNTABILITY? if you wanna talk politics, that's the real dirty word.

Hey KANGA!!:eek::eek::banana:banana

Two Tents
12-16-2009, 12:40
I say over 120 posts and 2200 plus views in just over 24 hours is almost busy.

Gray Blazer
12-16-2009, 12:52
I say over 120 posts and 2200 plus views in just over 24 hours is almost busy.

Nah......we're just getting started.

Blue Jay
12-16-2009, 12:55

They do not exist. At least dinosaurs left a fossel record. Using that now meaningless word (and the other one) causes all the problems that led to the political ban. Please do not type it again.

scope
12-16-2009, 12:58

As opposed to any of the other words mentioned? I think that was the poster's point.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 13:02
Well, the "Politics" forums basically led to the current "moderation" situation, so I'm not sure that going back to that is a solution. Whatever Alligator and his kith are like now in deleting posts, there just aren't enough of them to go back to those days. Wish we could; we can't. There were a lot of things that were said in those threads that were far more intense than "Republican" or "Democrat" and, in practical terms, it's not something that can or should recur here.

But it is refreshing that this thread has continued as long as it has, with things that have been said here. Perhaps some of the posts above were considered and not deleted. That's "keeps the traffic up" and also allows for some discussion that is a little more interesting than "Boiled a quart of water in 11 minutes with my new stove." I've learned about a TV character (Fez?) I never heard about, and found out that "Clyde" (whose name may or may not be "Clyde") kind of lacks Jack Tarlin's debate skills (although, if you've been reading Jack as long as I have, you can see that his heart wasn't in it, and used pretty much his standard schtick). So this thread may have a few legs left in it, and maybe change some attitudes just a little, too.

Maybe the parrot isn't dead. Just pining.

TW

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 13:04
Jester

Good Day Sir.

Clyde

Um, yes I do. I was responding to Two Speed's post, not yours. Good day!

or ACCOUNTABILITY?

Or CHEESE!

nox
12-16-2009, 13:18
2400 views and only 140 replies, Thats a lot of people biting their tongues so the don't get criticized for their opinion. Which happens on a daily basis when you ask a "dumb question", or say something that might offend a long time WB'er, even if they weren't involved in the discussion. I rarely post because i don't feel like defending something I might say. I typed about this same paragraph yesterday then decided not to post it because I'm sure someone will have a problem with it.. whatever ... I wish everyone would lighten up, it's a freekin website.

Two Tents
12-16-2009, 13:37
2400 views and only 140 replies, Thats a lot of people biting their tongues so the don't get criticized for their opinion. Which happens on a daily basis when you ask a "dumb question", or say something that might offend a long time WB'er, even if they weren't involved in the discussion. I rarely post because i don't feel like defending something I might say. I typed about this same paragraph yesterday then decided not to post it because I'm sure someone will have a problem with it.. whatever ... I wish everyone would lighten up, it's a freekin website.

I also mentioned the dumb question fear as a possible reason. There have people who got slammed on their very first post. Others see this and then don't contribute their thoughts and ideas because they don't want to go up against someone with hundreds and hundreds of posts.

Graywolf
12-16-2009, 13:40
I also mentioned the dumb question fear as a possible reason. There have people who got slammed on their very first post. Others see this and then don't contribute their thoughts and ideas because they don't want to go up against someone with hundreds and hundreds of posts.

UUUmmmm.....I hope I don't upset anyone here but..Ummmmm what is a dumb post?:D

Graywolf

chief
12-16-2009, 13:44
The problem is not moderating, but intelligent moderating. When out of the blue I'm told I can no longer post because I'ver violated the rules. And when I protest, mildly, no one replies. Wingfoot, at least, would argue with me. A good internet site requires an exchange of ideas. Call it arguing if you wish. But exchange is essential. Cut it off and the site eventually dies. All we are engaged in here is a transition -- from a failed site, to a living vibrant site, that can live with new ideas, new perspectives.

Weary
Amazingly, I agree with most of the above. However, I have to say Whiteblaze was never a failed site, it was instead suffering from a failed admin or more accurately, an admin with really deep personal problems (hope he's better now). With new leadership from Sgt. Rock and ATTroll, the site came back on line and flourished for a while.

Unfortunately, our "new" leadership has chosen to completely disengage from the forum, leaving their henchmen in charge. So, how long can this "rudderless" site stay afloat?

Speaking of which, what is all this about a "secret" forum?

le loupe
12-16-2009, 13:46
Fewer people are working/have jobs.

Without a job, when do you have time to goof around on the web?

sheepdog
12-16-2009, 13:49
Frankly, I think Clyde needs to chill. The reason the site needs moderation is because people post ridiculous stuff which ARE personal attacks (disguised as honest opinions), which end up having to be defended. J-2000 was right to point out that there was no real apology there, and in fact was backhanded in a way that provoked a defensive response.

If Clyde has a problem with the wealth of info Jack has provided, then perhaps maybe he can offer a comprehensive set of it himself. Specifically, the resupply info probably needs to be updated, so have at it.
You don't by chance have six fingers on your right hand?

Lyle
12-16-2009, 13:49

Wholeheartedly agree. I find myself biting my tongue often because some topics are off-limits, or some views. You get pounded, and have to defend your statements or be ridiculed.

There is often a gang mentality which just isn't worth fighting most of the time. The answer isn't moderating, but civility and a decision not to turn every thread you don't agree with into a joke (a definite form of ridicule).

I most frequently limit myself to just reading more and more often, instead of expressing. Case in point, this is my first comment on this thread - been biting my tongue - I think it's my first anyway, will check, then edit if necessary.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2009, 13:57
Amazingly, I agree with most of the above. However, I have to say Whiteblaze was never a failed site, it was instead suffering from a failed admin or more accurately, an admin with really deep personal problems (hope he's better now). With new leadership from Sgt. Rock and ATTroll, the site came back on line and flourished for a while.

Unfortunately, our "new" leadership has chosen to completely disengage from the forum, leaving their henchmen in charge. So, how long can this "rudderless" site stay afloat?

Speaking of which, what is all this about a "secret" forum?

check you PM

Lone Wolf
12-16-2009, 13:59
check you PM

never mind. you ain't got no PM box

Pak-Man
12-16-2009, 14:02
This thread makes me warm and fuzzy inside. Like I got a big hug from all of you ...

Love you all...

"dirt"

scope
12-16-2009, 14:06

I call BS. Have an opinion, post it if you want, defend it if you want, but don't blame others for having opinions as well, many of which may fly in the face of yours. Personally, I like to see the back and forth going on here because it helps everyone figure out what is appropriate and what is not. I think the real problem is that many people just don't know what appropriate is, and its too easy to hide behind the cyber wall when they get called on it.

Of course, some just like to stir the pot. Speaking of which, Chaco Taco - I think I'm going to have to report you to DFACS. ;)

Would somebody please kick the soapbox out from under me?

scope
12-16-2009, 14:11
You don't by chance have six fingers on your right hand?

Including my thumb?

chief
12-16-2009, 14:17
never mind. you ain't got no PM boxSorry LW, I forgot I had PM turned off. It's on now, I think. Thanks

rcli4
12-16-2009, 14:29
Does anyone know the difference between Santa and Tiger Woods?

rcli4
12-16-2009, 14:29
Santa only uses 3 ho's

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 14:32

On the other hand. I frequently look at a thread, and realize that the question has already been answered 8 times and that I have nothing positive to contribute that hasn't already been said. If everyone did that, we'd have many threads that end on the first page rather than many threads that go on for 11 pages for no good reason. So there are plenty of times that I add to a thread's views without posting, and it has nothing to do with fear of criticism.

But as can also be noted by this post, sometimes I do post even though I have nothing positive to contribute, so . . .

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 14:32
Clyde:

Re. your post #120 above:

I thought it had been clearly pointed out to you already that there were any number of places in Erwin that didn't get mentioned by name in my article, just as there are hundreds of other lodging places on or near the Trail that were similarly omitted. Do you think I have it in for all of these places, too? The simple fact is that my article was primarily concerned with Re-supply and not lodging, i.e. it was mainly about food, where to get it, how much they should get, etc. I should also point out that NOWHERE in the article did I cite any place, facility, or business BY NAME in a negative light. Did I mention places that were the most popular with hikers, or the ones that had the best reputation? Of course I did. But if Clyde or anyone else thinks the Article goes out of its way to slam or denigrate any individual or any one place, he's much mistaken.

There are, in fact, scores, if not hundreds of places that didn't get mentioned by name in the article and it'd be a mistake to read too much into this. (In fact, if you look at the introduction to the article, I devote an entire paragraph to this subject, making it very clear that it'd be impossible to list or review every facility on the Trail, and that users of the article should not infer anything negative because a place is not listed). I made this crystal clear in the introduction to the article but I guess Clyde missed this, too.

Lastly, I am entirely aware (and have publicly stated here several times) that
many things have changed since February of 2007 since the article was last updated, and it needs revision. I have several times asked people to point out these changes, or things that should be added, changed, or omitted. (I also made this request in the last paragraph of the article by the way). Incidentally, if I were to re-do the article, I would in all likelihood list the place that Clyde mentioned. But back in February 2007 there had been so many complaints about the place that I felt uncomfortable about listing it; after all, one of the major Trail guides felt the same way, even to the point that they also felt bad about listing it, so they also omitted it. However,
things have changed a good deal in Erwin, and this is a good thing to see.

And of course, anyone really unhappy with my article on re-supply can step up and produce one of their own, i.e. if they feel they can do better, they can certainly do so, and I'm sure people would like to see this. So Clyde, have at it!!

kanga
12-16-2009, 14:36
Clyde:

Re. your post #120 above:

I thought it had been clearly pointed out to you already that there were any number of places in Erwin that didn't get mentioned by name in my article, just as there are hundreds of other lodging places on or near the Trail that were similarly omitted. Do you think I have it in for all of these places, too? The simple fact is that my article was primarily concerned with Re-supply and not lodging, i.e. it was mainly about food, where to get it, how much they should get, etc. I should also point out that NOWHERE in the article did I cite any place, facility, or business BY NAME in a negative light. Did I mention places that were the most popular with hikers, or the ones that had the best reputation? Of course I did. But if Clyde or anyone else thinks the Article goes out of its way to slam or denigrate any individual or any one place, he's much mistaken.

There are, in fact, scores, if not hundreds of places that didn't get mentioned by name in the article and it'd be a mistake to read too much into this. (In fact, if you look at the introduction to the article, I devote an entire paragraph to this subject, making it very clear that it'd be impossible to list or review every facility on the Trail, and that users of the article should not infer anything negative because a place is not listed). I made this crystal clear in the introduction to the article but I guess Clyde missed this, too.

Lastly, I am entirely aware (and have publicly stated here several times) that
many things have changed since February of 2007 since the article was last updated, and it needs revision. I have several times asked people to point out these changes, or things that should be added, changed, or omitted. (I also made this request in the last paragraph of the article by the way). Incidentally, if I were to re-do the article, I would in all likelihood list the place that Clyde mentioned. But back in February 2007 there had been so many complaints about the place that I felt uncomfortable about listing it; after all, one of the major Trail guides felt the same way, even to the point that they also felt bad about listing it, so they also omitted it. However,
things have changed a good deal in Erwin, and this is a good thing to see.

And of course, anyone really unhappy with my article on re-supply can step up and produce one of their own, i.e. if they feel they can do better, they can certainly do so, and I'm sure people would like to see this. So Clyde, have at it!!

http://www.mynighttimehealth.com/images/snore.jpg

scope
12-16-2009, 14:41
http://www.mynighttimehealth.com/images/snore.jpg

LOL, that's perfect :p

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 14:41
You never fail to come thru like a champ, Kanga.

You managed to give it a rest for awhile, presumably after being chewed out by mods, but I guess you just can't let it go.

Pretty sad.

Like I said above, the people who hear from moderators in regards to their posts usually know why.

And there's usually a good reason for the intervention. Anyone who doubts this should check out this thread. :D

nox
12-16-2009, 14:46
The original question asked why posts where so low... I offered an answer, call BS whenever you want. It doesn't matter to me if someone has useful info or a joke. My only problems with the posting is when somebody makes a statement and is jumped on by another person. The same people who will tell you that you are deviating from the thread are the same people who will start an argument that lasts for pages. If I launched a personal attack on someone I would be shut down immediately. Yet others will argue long after the people give up or apologize. That's what in my opinion is the problem.

kanga
12-16-2009, 14:46

You managed to give it a rest for awhile, presumably after being chewed out by mods, but I guess you just can't let it go.

Pretty sad.

Like I said above, the people who hear from moderators in regards to their posts usually know why.

And there's usually a good reason for the intervention. Anyone who doubts this should check out this thread. :D
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t149/twitch9988/passed-out-kitty.jpg

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 14:48

I was going to say something very similar, but I think nox said it best. I find whiteblaze very useful and get a lot of good info here, but sometimes I just get SO TIRED of the bickering and put downs that come about here. Chill out.

And I've got news for some of you, just because someone has not thru hiked the AT or a super long trail yet (or never will, whatever) doesn't not mean you should ignore what they say. (And I'm not talking about me, by the way. Some very experienced hikers here give good advice and then are ignored because they don't have the "thru hiker status". Talk about elitist.)

It gets really irritating after a while. Also the jumping on new hikers. Sure, impress upon them that the AT will be difficult, may not be anythinig near what they expect, they may hate it, etc... But don't just flat put them down and say they'll never finish it.

rcli4
12-16-2009, 14:50
Jack,

I will say one more time, it's not about you dude. You were wondering what I meant about me upsetting you at this time, Look in the mirror, dude. You are killin yourself. I wasn't gonna get personal but I'm worried about ya man. Your way to worked up over this. Take a deep breath, cut back where you can, and try to go for a walk as best you can.

Peace be with you

Alligator, your right, I need moderated. I suspend myself for one week. If you had of deleted my first post, we would of all been better off.

neighbor dave
12-16-2009, 14:51
:jumpi can see the humor in kangas posts, and think she's a riot!:sun

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 14:51
And peace be with you, too, Clyde.

After all, it's Christmas, and I hope you have a very good one.

Pak-Man
12-16-2009, 14:52

That might be the cutest picture ever... I know that wasnt your reasoning but Dang...

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 14:52
Merry Christmas.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 14:54
And I've got news for some of you, just because someone has not thru hiked the AT or a super long trail yet (or never will, whatever) doesn't not mean you should ignore what they say. (And I'm not talking about me, by the way. Some very experienced hikers here give good advice and then are ignored because they don't have the "thru hiker status". Talk about elitist.)

I think some people have made the mistake of thinking that my awesomeness derives from my status as a thru-hiker. But if this were true, how to explain that I'm also more awesome than all of the other thru-hikers?

Pak-Man
12-16-2009, 14:54
HOLY CRAP..

Merry Christmas to you to SIR...

rcli4
12-16-2009, 14:56
And peace be with you, too, Clyde.

After all, it's Christmas, and I hope you have a very good one.

I am gonna have a great one. My grand kids are comin. I hope everyone has as good a Christmas as me. I only have one nephew in Asscrackistan this year. Last year I had 5, well 4 nephews and a niece. Life is good.

Clyde

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 14:56
Oh, man. Damn. SARF.

Are there enough posts on WhiteBlaze? No....until the Sarge appears! One post that has made me happier than words can say! :D:D:D:banana:banana:banana:):):):sun:sun:sun

We miss you. We understand, but damn, we miss you!!!

The Weasel !!!!

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 14:57
I think some people have made the mistake of thinking that my awesomeness derives from my status as a thru-hiker. But if this were true, how to explain that I'm also more awesome than all of the other thru-hikers?

Attention moderators: for the purposes of keeping on-topic, the above post should probably be spun off into a new thread where we can all discuss my awesomeness.

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 14:57
Merry Christmas.

http://www.escobarshighlandfarm.com/christmas_tree_06.jpg

My favorite Christmas trees have snow on them.

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 15:00
Oh, man. Damn. SARF.

Are there enough posts on WhiteBlaze? No....until the Sarge appears! One post that has made me happier than words can say! :D:D:D:banana:banana:banana:):):):sun:sun:sun

We miss you. We understand, but damn, we miss you!!!

The Weasel !!!!Missed you too Weasel. Thanks for that note a few weeks back. I'm trying to get my feet wet again. I figured out what my security clearance requirements were and what I could do, I made a list of things to get done before I started posting again. I found out I could get a lot of real work done when I wasn't on-line all the time.

I've almost worked that list off too.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 15:00
Merry Christmas.

Attention moderators: for the purposes of keeping on-topic, the above post should probably be spun off into a new thread where we can all discuss my awesomeness.

Sorry, Jester. Let's discuss Rock's awesomeness, instead. He beat you to the punch. :D

TW

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 15:01

Not talking about you Jester, of course we all know you're awesome!

But, to quote Man in the Iron Mask:
Athos: What gives you the right to judge me, to play God with the lives of others? It is because you're so much holier than everyone else?
Aremes: Well yes, there is that, but also the fact that I'm so much more intelligent than everybody else.
:D

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 15:02
I think it's really funny that Rock and Dix come back for a visit.......to find the usual suspects arguing about how the website is run!!

The more things change...... :D

Anyway, VERY good to hear from both of them and I hope the entire Rock household has a safe and very Merry Christmas!!

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 15:03
Oh...by the way, folks............

A few posts back the OP writer suggested we "wrap up" this thread since everything that could be said had been posted, and encouraged the moderators to "lock up" the thread. I wrote that it would be nice to keep the thread alive since sometimes "thread drift" led to interesting things. Just like the famous broken clock, I"m right once in a while...

But I sure hope Rock's "Merry Christmas" isn't deleted as being "off topic!"

Thanks, Alligator. This is one of the reasons why harmless conversation can lead to good things.

TW

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 15:04
Same to you Jack. I am enjoying some adult entertainment while working on HTML. Unfortunately last night that caused me more work than it saved me.

Graywolf
12-16-2009, 15:05
Priceless!!!!

Graywolf
12-16-2009, 15:07
Hey, I see all this talk about blah, blah, blah...H@LL ,I am just trying to break my 200 post count!!!!

Big Dawg
12-16-2009, 15:26
H@LL ,I am just trying to break my 200 post count!!!!

awwwww!! :D

sherrill
12-16-2009, 15:27
Sarge is back! It's a Festivus miracle!

Get the pole out from under the crawlspace! :D

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 16:41

Maybe Santa will bring some WBers a sense of humor:rolleyes:

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 16:45

Pretty sad.

"Youre so lame, Ill bet you think this thread is about you, YOURE SO LAME!:D:D:D:D:D

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 16:46

Pretty sad.

Sad? You know what's sad Jack? . . . people who post on here who profess to be some type of knowledgeable hiker who maybe has lost there sense of the trail (or never even had one) . . . I mean, you or I don't have to worry about that yet but there are folks here that sit on a soapbox with nothing new to say. . . I don't mean to get down on them which is why I don't care to toss names out. . . but I'm sure you get what I mean. . . . peace:sun

saimyoji
12-16-2009, 16:49
Sad? You know what's sad Jack? . . . people who post on here who profess to be some type of knowledgeable hiker who maybe has lost there sense of the trail (or never even had one) . . . I mean, you or I don't have to worry about that yet but there are folks here that sit on a soapbox with nothing new to say. . . I don't mean to get down on them which is why I don't care to toss names out. . . but I'm sure you get what I mean. . . . peace:sun

i don't get it. what does this have to do with how happy weasel is that Rock is back?

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 16:51
i don't get it. what does this have to do with how happy weasel is that Rock is back?
It's an Alpha-puppy thing. . . . .

saimyoji
12-16-2009, 16:53

who is Alpha-puppy? i haven't been around much lately.....

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 16:56

I like puppies.......

http://www.indiastudychannel.com/pictures/gallery/narswa__funny%20monkey%20and%20puppy.jpg

And I don't know if I've ever said this or not, but I like eggs.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:00

It means now that Rock is back, Jack will never feel offended by anything anyone else ever says, he will be so joyful. In fact, it probably means that Jack will forgive Warren Doyle and invite all of us to stay at Uncle Johnny's with him. So it has a lot to do with my thread drift. It also has a lot to do with the thread TOPIC, in showing how to incite a few thousand posts out of maybe 4 lines of message. ;)

TW

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:03
Especially now that Jack has turned this into a "dog" thread (he was talking about female dogs, wasn't he?). Man. We now have everything....Jack, dogs, Rock, Erwin hostels and even (thank you, Chaco!) SANTA!!! Have I left any thread-inciting topic out?

TW

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:04
Have I left any thread-inciting topic out?

TW
Windchill. . .

The Weasel
Welcome back, Rock! Kind of like you never left, isn't it?

TW

emerald
My PPD = 3.54 and has been increasing. Add the overall PPD including other sites and I'd be surprised to learn it's falling.

saimyoji
12-16-2009, 17:05
Windchill. . .

and those damn seals....

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:07
Windchill. . .

Windchill? Windchill?? WINDCHILL??? You and your kind always bring that up when the rest of us try to ignore it? If you can't stop that, take your "windchill" back where you got it! I know Jack, and Jack doesn't care about windchill and don't you try to say he does! (Unless it is a female dog named "Windchill" and he probably wouldn't care even then!)

TW

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:08
Windchill can be a bitch. . . .

saimyoji
12-16-2009, 17:09
Windchill? Windchill?? WINDCHILL??? You and your kind always bring that up when the rest of us try to ignore it? If you can't stop that, take your "windchill" back where you got it! I know Jack, and Jack doesn't care about windchill and don't you try to say he does! (Unless it is a female dog named "Windchill" and he probably wouldn't care even then!)

TW

uhhhhh....Jack and JAK are not the same person...

...just sayin'

:)

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:10

...just sayin'

That hasn't been proven. . . . . . . just sayin' . . .

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:10

...just sayin'

And you know this how?

TW

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:11
That hasn't been proven. . . . . . . just sayin' . . .

Any more than it hasn't been proven that Jack and Warraghiyagey aren't the same person.

TW

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:16
Anymore than it hasn't been proven that Weasel is a big poopiehead. . . .
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gif

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:20
Sorry, Jack/Warraghiyagey/JAK/MonkeyBoy/LoneWolf or whatever you are calling yourself today, THAT has long been proven. You watch. NO one is going to disagree with THAT.

TW

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:21
Nope......none here.......other than being called Wharrgy.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:27
Nope......none here.......other than being called Wharrgy.

Not "called". IS. You've been outed. I've done sophisticated word-recognition testing, and I now know that you are all the same person, just multiplying screen names to try to establish that WB has more than nine real users and create inflated message numbers.

Thank God I'm one of the other eight.

TW

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:30
Not "called". IS. You've been outed.

TW
You're the one that's been outed. . . you outed-headed person. . . . thingy. . . . .
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gifhttp://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-fc/wootrock.gif

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:30
Not "called". IS. You've been outed. I've done sophisticated word-recognition testing, and I now know that you are all the same person, just multiplying screen names to try to establish that WB has more than nine real users and create inflated message numbers.

Thank God I'm one of the other eight.

TW

Warg doesn't know Latin..........

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:31
awaiting thread lock down..........

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:32
Warg doesn't know Latin..........

Yes you/he/they/she/it knows Latin. You all learned it at dog obedience school.

TW

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:34
Cave canem, te necet lingendo

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:36
Cave canem, te necet lingendo
agreed. . .

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:37
agreed. . .

sshhhhh.........Multiple personalities are not supposed to answer each other.

warraghiyagey
12-16-2009, 17:39
Yes I am. . . .

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 17:40
Yes I am. . . .

No Im not, yes you are,

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:42

None of you EVER "answer" each other. You just say things in response. That is perfectly acceptable for multiple personalities, and is probably one of the reasons for the lack of moderation here, since there is no risk of being insulted if you're saying these things about yourself/selves.

It's also becoming increasingly clear that I'm right, since "Jack Tarlin" isn't posting anything under that "name" but there are all these disagreements on technical grounds, which are emblematic of "Jack Tarlin." Not to mention how all of "you" know so much about "Hanover."

You don't fool anyone, and certainly not me and the other several real members of WB.

TW

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 17:43
None of you EVER "answer" each other. You just say things in response. That is perfectly acceptable for multiple personalities, and is probably one of the reasons for the lack of moderation here, since there is no risk of being insulted if you're saying these things about yourself/selves.

It's also becoming increasingly clear that I'm right, since "Jack Tarlin" isn't posting anything under that "name" but there are all these disagreements on technical grounds, which are emblematic of "Jack Tarlin." Not to mention how all of "you" know so much about "Hanover."

You don't fool anyone, and certainly not me and the other several real members of WB.

TW

When did you become a real member of WB?

Monkeyboy
12-16-2009, 17:47

TW

Who's Hanover?

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:47
You can't read?

TW

weary
12-16-2009, 17:48
When did you become a real member of WB?A suggestion for moderators. When a thread had gone three or four pages without any sensible comments, it might be time to go out of your way to encourage same.

Johnny Thunder
12-16-2009, 17:49
Brains....?

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 17:50
Brains....?

MORE BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 17:51
Less forums, MORE BRAINS

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:52
Weary, a couple of hundred posts and out of the blue we saw Sgt Rock come back to life. Let's let the moderators be moderate for now, and see if intelligence shows itself naturally. Probably not, but statistics gives grounds for optimism. If the thread offends you, go check out Gruel.com or something.

TW

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 17:56
A suggestion for moderators. When a thread had gone three or four pages without any sensible comments, it might be time to go out of your way to encourage same.

First we'll make snow angels for two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookie-dough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle.

The Weasel
12-16-2009, 17:59
A suggestion for moderators. When a thread had gone three or four pages without any sensible comments, it might be time to go out of your way to encourage same.

Feel free to contribute sensible comments. I'm out, until after 3 pm.

TW

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 18:01
Feel free to contribute sensible comments. I'm out, until after 3 pm.

TW

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 18:25
First we'll make snow angels for two hours, then we'll go ice skating, then we'll eat a whole roll of Tollhouse Cookie-dough as fast as we can, and then we'll snuggle.

You're such a cotton headed ninny-muggins.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 18:43
A suggestion for moderators. If this thread goes three or four pages with only sensible comments, it should be shut down immediately. Same goes for all other threads.

Chaco Taco
You're such a cotton headed ninny-muggins.

Well, there are some things you should know. First off, you see gum on the street, leave it there. It isn't free candy.

Disney
This thread is just a bunch of clucking hens. . . . .

Cluck you.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 18:44
Well, there are some things you should know. First off, you see gum on the street, leave it there. It isn't free candy.

Right! It's free gum!

Disney
12-16-2009, 18:44

WHAT??? Now you've gone too far. What is this Communist Russia?

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 18:45
Right! It's free gum!

Second, there are, like, thirty Ray's Pizzas. They all claim to be the original. But the real one's on 11th. And if you see a sign that says "Peep Show", that doesn't mean that they're letting you look at the new toys before Christmas.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 18:47
Second, there are, like, thirty Ray's Pizzas. They all claim to be the original. But the real one's on 11th. . .

Why on earth would I buy pizza from someone named "Ray?"

weary
12-16-2009, 18:49
When did you become a real member of WB?
My records say TW became a real member on 09-04-2002. The date is on every message he posts. Just check.

Weary

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 18:49
My records say TW became a real member on 09-04-2002. The date is on every message he posts. Just check.

Weary

But a "real" member????

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 18:50
Why on earth would I buy pizza from someone named "Ray?"

What about this: a tribe of asparagus children, but they're self-conscious about the way their pee smells.

Disney
12-16-2009, 18:52
But a "real" member????

Is that something like a "real" thru hiker? When did you become a purist?

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 18:54
Is that something like a "real" thru hiker? When did you become a purist?

Sometime between post 600 and 1000

Bulldawg
12-16-2009, 18:59

Pretty sad.

Hey Kanga!!???

Jack,

I will say one more time, it's not about you dude. You were wondering what I meant about me upsetting you at this time, Look in the mirror, dude. You are killin yourself. I wasn't gonna get personal but I'm worried about ya man. Your way to worked up over this. Take a deep breath, cut back where you can, and try to go for a walk as best you can.

Peace be with you

Alligator, your right, I need moderated. I suspend myself for one week. If you had of deleted my first post, we would of all been better off.

It is ALWAYS about Jack! Don't ever forget it!! As if he would let that happen!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Brains....?

MORE BRAINS!!!!!!!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

Less forums, MORE BRAINS

BACON!!!!

http://www.geekologie.com/2008/12/26/mmmm-bacon.jpghttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/_GFWrFHm6j_E/Se0yaXUEinI/AAAAAAAAAQ4/LBbDwrSZPK4/s320/homer_simpson31.jpg

weary
12-16-2009, 19:00
But a "real" member????
Yup, whoever who signs up is a real member. I read the rules, didn't you? But even more important is the category "valuable" member. Unfortunately, that depends on our individual judgments. Which can be kind of weird at times.

Weary

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 19:01
http://kottkegae.appspot.com/images/pork_jason.jpg

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 19:02
Yup, whoever who signs up is a real member. I read the rules, didn't you? But even more important is the category "valuable" member. Unfortunately, that depends on our individual judgments. Which can be kind of weird at times.

Weary

I never read the rules:rolleyes: Figured youd have gotten that by now

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 19:08
Second, there are, like, thirty Ray's Pizzas. They all claim to be the original. But the real one's on 11th. And if you see a sign that says "Peep Show", that doesn't mean that they're letting you look at the new toys before Christmas.

You did it! Congratulations, world's best cup of coffee! Great job everybody! It's great to be here.

It's just like Santa's workshop! Except it smells like mushrooms, and everyone looks like they want to hurt me...

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 19:10
You did it! Congratulations, world's best cup of coffee! Great job everybody! It's great to be here.

It's just like Santa's workshop! Except it smells like mushrooms, and everyone looks like they want to hurt me...
You smell like beef and cheese, you don't smell like Santa

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 19:12
You sit on a throne of lies... don't tell him what you want Paul, he's a liar...

Chaco Taco
12-16-2009, 19:14
You sit on a throne of lies... don't tell him what you want Paul, he's a liar...

But the children love the books!

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 19:46
But the children love the books!

Now, you see, you're trying to make me out to be the bad guy, when in reality, you're the one who failed to make the payments...