PDA

View Full Version : $46.35?

flemdawg1
12-15-2009, 20:03
Really!?

http://www.campsaver.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=eve0001

Bulldawg
12-15-2009, 20:06
The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Bags4266
12-15-2009, 20:07
Wow, 46 bucks... that's alot of cat stoves

Tuckahoe
12-15-2009, 20:13
Hey, I still dont get the $40-80 titanium mugs/cook pots.

Slo-go'en
12-15-2009, 20:36
Well heck, it is titanium and the bi-level burner is cute. But don't click check out out, for just another $47.95 you can get a matching titanium pot stand for it!

kolokolo
12-15-2009, 22:07
Wow! $46.35. It sure looks a lot like my penny stove.

It probably weighs .25 oz less, though.

That's worth it.

Spogatz
12-16-2009, 00:48
They are really proud of that one aren't they.....

bullseye
12-16-2009, 01:07
I just put them up on my site at presale discount pricing: https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Evernew_Titanium_Alcohol.html

Wags
12-16-2009, 01:52
it's got that magic word "Titanium" in it that makes people buy it. kind of like saying "whole wheat" with any food item

Two Speed
12-16-2009, 04:37
I just put them up on my site at presale discount pricing: https://end2endtrailsupply.com/Evernew_Titanium_Alcohol.htmlGonna ask the stupid question: does this gizmo include a sealing lid like the Trangia?

Also I think they manufacturer has spouted some crappola. Vargo has had a titanium alcohol stove out for a while.

Sailor (The other one)
12-16-2009, 06:33
Gonna ask the stupid question: does this gizmo include a sealing lid like the Trangia?

Not stupid at all. For a Trangia user like me, a titanium model with a sealing lid and a simmer attachment would be worth looking at. The civilian Trangia weighs 3.2 oz, this thing 1.2, or 2.7 oz less. But without a sealing lid, its just another burner.

Lone Wolf
12-16-2009, 07:16
a fool and his money are soon parted?

Ender
12-16-2009, 09:50
Wow! $46.35. It sure looks a lot like my penny stove.

It probably weighs .25 oz less, though.

That's worth it.

According to the site, it weighs 1.2oz... which is 4 times heavier than my stove. And $45.85 more expensive (I spent $0.50 on the coke can I used to make the stove).

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 10:01
i just pour alcohol on the picnic tables and put my pot on three rocks. thats where the cool burn rings come from! thats me!

zelph
12-16-2009, 12:17
i just pour alcohol on the picnic tables and put my pot on three rocks. thats where the cool burn rings come from! thats me!

:banana and all this time I thought it was from stoves that needed primer pans/plate/wick to give them a jump stat in cooler temps:o

flemdawg1, does this new stove require a primer plate full of fuel to get itta goin in cold temps?

brooklynkayak
12-16-2009, 16:24

Typical consumerism.
It's nowhere near as bad as people that have to buy the biggest gas guzzling monstrosity of an SUV to impress the neighbors or build a ridiculous Walt Disney style home on the side of a mud slide mountain.

A $50 dollar alcohol stove impresses some people.

brooklynkayak
12-16-2009, 16:28
And I am as guilty as anyone.

I replaced my $5 stainless steel chinatown camp pot with a similar one made of titanium for something like $35 or $40. I realized later that the old pot is only just over an ounce heavier:-(

brooklynkayak
12-16-2009, 16:32

Oh, and all this time I thought they hired expensive and gifted artists to do that.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 16:40
Oh, and all this time I thought they hired expensive and gifted artists to do that.

Matty is a gifted artist, tho' I've heard that he can be had pretty cheaply.

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 16:42
MSR sells a titanium fuel bottle for a crazy ammount of money, I forget, but it's like 70 or 80 bucks.

It weighs a fraction of what their regular bottle does, i.e. the one that costs around 10 bucks.

Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and we all know what Barnum allegedly said about the type of person that's born every minute.

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 16:43
MSR sells a titanium fuel bottle for a crazy ammount of money, I forget, but it's like 70 or 80 bucks.

It weighs a fraction of what their regular bottle does, i.e. the one that costs around 10 bucks.

Something is worth whatever someone is willing to pay, and we all know what Barnum allegedly said about the type of person that's born every minute.

They're extremely forgetful Evangelicals?

Jester2000
12-16-2009, 16:44
They're extremely forgetful Evangelicals?

Scratch that. They're born again every minute.

saimyoji
12-16-2009, 16:51
And I am as guilty as anyone.

I replaced my $5 stainless steel chinatown camp pot with a similar one made of titanium for something like $35 or $40. I realized later that the old pot is only just over an ounce heavier:-(

see, now...you could have saved yourself $5 by not buying that cheap china town pot in the first place. :D

bullseye
12-16-2009, 17:19
Gonna ask the stupid question: does this gizmo include a sealing lid like the Trangia?

Also I think they manufacturer has spouted some crappola. Vargo has had a titanium alcohol stove out for a while.

Not a stupid question. I'm waiting to get them in hand, but my understanding is no, they don't have a sealing lid.

As far as the 1st ti alky thing, that's my bad - I forgot about the Vargo stoves. I'll update the site.

Depends. Is it well made and will it last a lifetime? I'm willing to reserve judgement based on the products merits or lack thereof. No one complains about getting ripped off when they spend $40.00 on a cannister stove or $100.00 for white gas. I understand not wanting to spend more than 10-20 bucks for a beer can stove, but what about a high quality manufactured product with a respected name behind it?

Disney
12-16-2009, 17:46
I bought one of Sgt. Rock's alcohol stoves, it's less than .5 ounces. He told me the real thing everyone anted was the stand (it came with the stove). It looks like their
"cheap" 12 dollar stand can't work with any other stove.

weary
12-16-2009, 19:15
Why, the question mark? A simple period would convey your message better.

Red Beard
12-16-2009, 19:38

I must be doing this pre-hike planning all wrong. I found my fuel bottle in the trash. 12oz soda bottle. Guess I'll get me one of those $46.00 stoves as soon as possible, and an $80.00 fuel bottle to boot. :p

Surplusman
12-16-2009, 23:25

A fool and his money are some party!

As for that titanium wonder, someone had a lot of time on their hands to design the thing, design the dies, have the dies built, get the titanium sheets, adjust them, etc. A lot of time wasted duplicating an existing product, and making it more expensive to boot. Useless, totally useless.

bullseye
01-23-2010, 16:44
Oh well, love it or hate it, here's the review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HllPPlA6f5I

Apologies for the poor video quality.

skinewmexico
01-23-2010, 17:25
My Vargo Ti stove is by far the worst of all of my alky stoves. I saw a discussion on a forum once where someone made the point that titanium is a bad material for alky stoves, due to it's heat conduction, or something like that. But if you're one of those people who, due to a lack of critical thinking skills, can only judge quality by price, this might be dandy.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 17:25
Awesome. I have a camping buddy who I know will be buying one* of these. The guy is a gear nut. The guy sleeps in the woods a grand total of 6 nights a year (2 weekends) traveling some odd 20 miles and spends at least $500 per year on the latest gizmos and crap.

I hate to part with my trusty 20 year old single burner coleman propane stove, but am gonna have to make one of those soda can stoves I have read so much about on this site. If I boil water faster than him, it will be almost as good as the time his $45 backpack liner didn't keep his clothes dry and my hefty garbage liner kept every thing bone dry.

Look for a grear review in April.

*unless he buys two of them.

bullseye
01-23-2010, 17:50
My Vargo Ti stove is by far the worst of all of my alky stoves.

Sorry, the Vargo Ti was is just a lousy stove, ti or not. I put this info out so people can use their "critical thinking skills" to make a judgement to buy or not to buy, since up to this point there was no info at all to judge the product by. Price isn't driving anyone to buy this stove, on the contrary, some people are shying away from giving it a good look b/c of price.

I saw a discussion on a forum once where someone made the point that titanium is a bad material for alky stoves, due to it's heat conduction, or something like that.

But if you're one of those people who, due to a lack of critical thinking skills, can only judge a product based on forum heresay and amatuer metallurgy, "or something like that", this might not be for you:rolleyes:.

Spogatz
01-23-2010, 19:34
I can make a lot of beer can stoves for that amount of money and I can drink the beer....

Spokes
01-23-2010, 20:52
Wonder what part of the Russian Mig the titanium in that stove came from?

Frosty
01-23-2010, 22:16
it's got that magic word "Titanium" in it that makes people buy it. kind of like saying "whole wheat" with any food itemI like pizza with extra cheese, pepperoni, sausage and bacon with a whole wheat crust.

JustaTouron
01-23-2010, 22:50
it's got that magic word "Titanium" in it that makes people buy it. kind of like saying "whole wheat" with any food item

"whole wheat" is so 1990's.

If it doesn't have the magic word, "multigrain" nobody is paying extra for it.

skinewmexico
01-24-2010, 00:58
Sorry, the Vargo Ti was is just a lousy stove, ti or not. I put this info out so people can use their "critical thinking skills" to make a judgement to buy or not to buy, since up to this point there was no info at all to judge the product by. Price isn't driving anyone to buy this stove, on the contrary, some people are shying away from giving it a good look b/c of price.

But if you're one of those people who, due to a lack of critical thinking skills, can only judge a product based on forum heresay and amatuer metallurgy, "or something like that", this might not be for you:rolleyes:.

Great, now I have to go find the data. I apologize for being vague, won't happen again. My Vargo Ti is basically just a soda can stove, so I think it is important that it is ti. Now go pick on all the guys who said they could make 50 soda can stoves for the cost of that.