PDA

View Full Version : old moonstone down liner

cupcake
09-01-2004, 11:06
i have an old synthetic moonstone sleeping bag i bought about 10 yrs. ago. i don't remember its temp rating, but i did buy a down liner to extend its range. the liner fits inside the bag on the topside only --- it buttons into loops in the bag --- i haven't seen liners like this in years -- it seems that now the sleeping bag makers think about the sleep systems in terms of stuffing a summer wt. bag into another bag to extend range.
does anyone know how i can find out how many extra degrees of warmth this liner may add to a bag? it's mummy cut, and though i don't use the old moonstone bag anymore, i think the liner would be a great addition to my 32* bag and 0* bag -- all i'd have to do is sew in some loops.
thanks,
d

peter_pan
09-01-2004, 11:18
Denise,

Figure the value of down at number of inches thicknessx40 subtracted from 100. Example 1.5 x40=60 from 100 is 40 degree bag/quilt. then ask some common sense questions. Does it wrap the sides as well? If not deduct some comfort. Also key is what pad or hammock you are on/in to figure the bottom issues. and whether or not you are in a tent or cowboy/girl camping.

Youngblood
09-01-2004, 15:26
Denise,

Figure the value of down at number of inches thicknessx40 subtracted from 100. Example 1.5 x40=60 from 100 is 40 degree bag/quilt. then ask some common sense questions. Does it wrap the sides as well? If not deduct some comfort. Also key is what pad or hammock you are on/in to figure the bottom issues. and whether or not you are in a tent or cowboy/girl camping.

Peter Pan, I'm not trying to pick on you, I have seen that equation in Jardine's book and other references (that I can't recall) as well. I don't think that equation is valid, basically because it is referenced to 100 degrees and I don't think 2.5 inches of insulation will take you to zero degrees. (I have also seen Jordan's approximation and wasn't sold on it.) I think a guideline referenced to something around 70 degrees would be more valid. Something like the thickness x 20 subtracted from 70 seems more like it to me. Do you think you get 40 degrees of insulation per inch of down... or more like 20 degrees per inch?

Youngblood

peter_pan
09-01-2004, 18:00
Youngblood,

You may have a good point. I think the formula works well in the 20 to 70 degree range. I have spent several nights comfortably in the mid 20s in a 2.5 " quilt. The formula appears to be supported by many manufactures that claim 40 degree range on 1.5 inch thickness...they express it as 3" loft. You frequently see 4 " loft expressed as 32 Degree or 35 Degree. Many 5 " lofts are cited as 20 Degree bags. Some 6 and 7 " lofts normally are advertized as zero degree. These last two points suggest the formula may not be accurate beyound the range of 20-30 degrees.

I have used 1.5 " quilts both below and above hammocks consistently into the 30s suggesting the estimate of 40 degrees is ok for 1.5".

As alluded to in closing my last post, this is a subjective area. Factors such as clothes worn, hats used, wind exposure, use of tents, metabolic rate of each individual, what is eaten before tuning in, and even % of humidity all play a role in comfort.

That being said, I agree, use of Jardine's formula may be flawed beyond 20-30 degrees ( would add this covers most 3 season application though).
Your proposal to use," inches Times 20 subtracted from 70" has merit, especially in the colder range.

One issue though, at 70 degrees you would be a little cool with nothing.

All of this makes me believe that the issue is not linear but curvilinear and further subject to a number of variables. This sounds more like an optimization problem for an Operations Research Systems Analyst with a computer and access to a super test lab. Federal funding?????