PDA

View Full Version : Homeade beef sticks ---

darkage
12-16-2009, 02:10
I wanna start making my own beef sticks/jerky .... What machines do you guys use to make your's ?

I seen simple ones at cabelas and campmor rather cheap ... so i'm just curious. :D

Hikes in Rain
12-16-2009, 07:28
I use a sharp knife. Get lean steak (flank, round, something like that). Watch for sales; it's worth it. Freeze the steak to the point where it's really stiff, without being frozen solid. Makes cutting very thin slices much easier. Slice across the grain. No other special tools or machines needed.

sixhusbands
12-16-2009, 08:30
Check out the Butcher & Packer website. They have anything you need to process meat into sticks, jerky, sausage , etc. plus they sell all the equipment. I used thier products to make all my venison stuff.

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 09:32
brisket/flank,freezer knife,oven,jerkey.
sticks are for kids
real men use the racks
foil is for drippings

BackTrack1
12-16-2009, 13:37
I use top round roast, and like Hikes in Rain said, freeze it , then let it thaw for about an hr or so then slice it, its much easier to cut, i use a sharp filet knife ,marinade in my own special recipe for 24 hrs, then i dry it in my Nesco food dehydrator for 4 to sometimes 8 hrs. you have to keep checking it towards the end , seems like every batch takes a different amount of time for some reason, probably because its hand sliced and not consistant like a meat slicer would cut.

schnikel
12-16-2009, 13:57
I use top round roast, and like Hikes in Rain said, freeze it , then let it thaw for about an hr or so then slice it, its much easier to cut, i use a sharp filet knife ,marinade in my own special recipe for 24 hrs, then i dry it in my Nesco food dehydrator for 4 to sometimes 8 hrs. you have to keep checking it towards the end , seems like every batch takes a different amount of time for some reason, probably because its hand sliced and not consistant like a meat slicer would cut.

Ditto. I usually make two different marinades just to change things up some. One spicy and one that is more teryaki. Keep a close eye towards the end and dap with a paper towel if it is getting to "fatty"

Home made jerky is cheeper and tastes better!

mweinstone
12-16-2009, 14:13
i just ketchup and pepper and salt and honey and cooking wine and love that crap for about two shakes of a mason jar and lay it on the racks with the fat peices on the back where its warmer and with a wood spoon in the oven door to let the steam out. no fat can be on the meat. none. flip once or twice , rearange, putting undone peices in the rear and offload your jerkey peicemeal as its finnished. when you can bend it without breaking it when its cool, just.

schnikel
12-16-2009, 14:29
no fat can be on the meat. none.

yea, the fat will go rancid after you have finished dehydrating. So In three weeks when you are hungry and you go grab some of your jerky it will be tainted and no good.

Erin
12-17-2009, 00:47
I used flank. Our store here carries it already frozen and sliced for deer hunters and such for no extra charge. All I had to do was take it home, thaw it, mix with the marinade I make for several hours ( fresh ginger, soy sauce, vinegar, seasonings, green onions, honey) and put in the dehydrator. There was no fat at all. It was hot on our section and it stayed in very good shape. It was my first ever jerky and a little soft compared to beef brittle but well preserved.

mweinstone
12-17-2009, 09:14
my aunt built a jerky factory of a very modern design to sell jerkey to her husbands diet patients. he was , or is, a weight doctor. anyway, her jerkey could have taken all the worlds jerkey sales easy. it was the best. they were wealthy and lived in las vegas.but she only sold local. jerkey is so exspensive in stores but more than that it sucks so bad. their are few foods that suffer for commercial production more in the flavor department than jerkey. and maby waffles.

mweinstone
12-17-2009, 09:21
i belive a dedicated person could make a liveing seasonaly off trail jerky sales alone. with a solar array to sun dry, one could meet the enormous demand for such a delecacy. on location sun dryed jerky would draw hikers for miles. and if the store cost can be undercut enough, many if not all jerky eating thru hikers might just decide to buy alot and mail ahead. of course bears would maul you the first night.