PDA

View Full Version : End of winter. when?

horicon
12-16-2009, 16:03
With the reacent snow fall, its only 12.5 weeks till the first day spring.

Pedaling Fool
12-16-2009, 16:12
I haven't seen the memo, so not sure when winter ends.

Mrs Baggins
12-16-2009, 16:22
Being born on the Winter Solstice I did a little research on it. Turns out the ancient Celts celebrated the Winter Solstice not as the start of winter, but really what they saw as the end of it. They knew that from that day forward the days would be getting longer again. And longer day light hours meant things would start to grow again, crops would come again, fish and game would be more easily caught again. Yes, it could still get brutally cold and you could still be up to your neck in snow in March. But seeing it the way the Celts saw it has completely turned around my feelings about the "on set" of winter on Dec 21st. I used to get very depressed, a real case of S.A.D. Not anymore.

Jack Tarlin
12-16-2009, 16:31
Maybe it'll be a 12.5 week wait for some folks.

In New Hampshire winter sticks around til April 15th.

Sure hope I'm somewhere else then.

Graywolf
12-16-2009, 16:32
Being born on the Winter Solstice I did a little research on it. Turns out the ancient Celts celebrated the Winter Solstice not as the start of winter, but really what they saw as the end of it. They knew that from that day forward the days would be getting longer again. And longer day light hours meant things would start to grow again, crops would come again, fish and game would be more easily caught again. Yes, it could still get brutally cold and you could still be up to your neck in snow in March. But seeing it the way the Celts saw it has completely turned around my feelings about the "on set" of winter on Dec 21st. I used to get very depressed, a real case of S.A.D. Not anymore.

The Celts were smart... Who needs computers when you can read nature..;)

Oh, FYI, winter never ends, it just moves south for the summer...:banana

Graywolf

emerald
12-16-2009, 16:56
Only Pennsylvania groundhogs know for sure.;)

Montana AT05
12-16-2009, 18:10
June.

Not kidding.

Peaks
12-17-2009, 09:19
Maybe it'll be a 12.5 week wait for some folks.

In New Hampshire winter sticks around til April 15th.

Sure hope I'm somewhere else then.

Some people believe there are only 2 seasons in Maine: Winter and July.

Deadeye
12-17-2009, 09:33
7 Seasons in VT:
winter
mud
spring
construction
leaf-peeper
stick
hunting

Tipi Walter
12-17-2009, 10:22
2 seasons in Tennessee:
Indoors/couch potato
Outdoors/and free

Bearpaw
12-17-2009, 10:29
The two seasons in Wyoming: Winter and Construction.

George
12-17-2009, 10:42
why does it matter when winter ends, go on out and do some winter hiking,

sheepdog
12-17-2009, 10:44
two seasons in Michigan
winter

2 months of bad sledding

Blissful
12-17-2009, 10:46
Might be a big snow here this weekend in VA. No one knows.

Tipi Walter
12-17-2009, 10:46
why does it matter when winter ends, go on out and do some winter hiking,

Amen, totally agree, amend it with these words: Go out and do some winter backpacking. Hiking just ain't enough.

sbhikes
12-17-2009, 10:48
We have four seasons in southern California:
Fire season
Flood season
Mudslide season (Ok, it's the same as flood season so we really only have 3)
Earthquake season (Ok, so that's every season so we really only have 2)

sasquatch2014
12-17-2009, 12:38

That is a great "Cup Half Full" approach to take on it and lord knows there are gray days here where I can use that.

sasquatch2014
12-17-2009, 12:41
We have four seasons in southern California:
Fire season
Flood season
Mudslide season (Ok, it's the same as flood season so we really only have 3)
Earthquake season (Ok, so that's every season so we really only have 2)

When I lived I Colorado I heard that there was a fifth. That was when all the Californians packed up and headed for Colorado with broken dishware covered in mud and smelling like smoke.

weary
12-17-2009, 13:03
Some people believe there are only 2 seasons in Maine: Winter and July.
Those of us in the know have better information. The two seasons are winter and mud. The mud season has been getting longer recently. It ended only this week for my lawn. It'll return briefly in January and for most of another year by the end of March.

bloodmountainman
12-17-2009, 17:37
According to the folks in Copenhagen there is no such thing as winter. Winter was taken from us by the capitalists.;)

Disney
12-17-2009, 17:40

All that may be true, but here's an old adage/saying/piece of folk wisdom: When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.

Doctari
12-17-2009, 20:11
When you hear loud sobbing from the general area of SW Ohio. :p

Unless, as usual, we get no snow, then "Whatever!". :rolleyes:

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 22:33
With the reacent snow fall, its only 12.5 weeks till the first day spring.

NOOOOOOO!!!! I love WINTER!!!

drifters quest
12-17-2009, 22:42
Well, here in Wyoming it has snowed in the fourth of July... and i'm not talking in the mountains.. Spring teases, you get days in the 70's then a foot of snow the next day. I know Winter's over and Spring is here when we get those type of patterns.. They typically start in April, but we start to have a few nice days in March. We did have a wet start to Summer though, thought the corn wouldn't survive for a while and it snowed around the first of June.

Mrs Baggins
12-17-2009, 22:42
All that may be true, but here's an old adage/saying/piece of folk wisdom: When the days begin to lengthen, the cold begins to strengthen.

Well, I did say that just because the days were getting longer it didn't mean winter couldn't still get brutal. The point is that there is a light at the end of the long dark winter tunnel and that light starts shining on Dec 22 - the day after the shortest day of the year. :sun

weary
12-17-2009, 23:39
According to the folks in Copenhagen there is no such thing as winter. Winter was taken from us by the capitalists.;)
Hmmm. I thought political comments were not allowed on this site. Or is it that only those who reply in opposition to right wing one liners that aren't allowed?.

Weary

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 11:50
Don't start politics here, it'll only rocket out of control.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 11:52
I wonder if Klingons are Democrats, Republicans or Independent. . . :-?

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 11:55
I'm Klingon... Actually, I'm from Stargate...
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-stargate007.gif (http://www.thescifiworld.net/smilies.htm)

sasquatch2014
12-18-2009, 12:16
Well, here in Wyoming it has snowed in the fourth of July... and i'm not talking in the mountains.. Spring teases, you get days in the 70's then a foot of snow the next day. I know Winter's over and Spring is here when we get those type of patterns.. They typically start in April, but we start to have a few nice days in March. We did have a wet start to Summer though, thought the corn wouldn't survive for a while and it snowed around the first of June.

There is a reason that they call I-80 the "Snowchi Minh Trail". Only state in the nation where I-80 has been closed at some point or another every month of the year due to Snow. when I worked on a ranch out there one year we got several inches of snow on the first day of summer. Had a great snowball fight on horseback when out wrangling the upper pastures.

I later lived down near Cheyenne as well and the saying there was that we didn't get a lot of snow we just used it over and over. The wind would blow it away one day to bring it along with some additional snow the next day.

sasquatch2014
12-18-2009, 12:19
Hmmm. I thought political comments were not allowed on this site. Or is it that only those who reply in opposition to right wing one liners that aren't allowed?.

Weary

Watch the political stuff its been tough for everyone. As a matter of fact I heard that the economy has been so bad for Dick Cheney that he was taking his accountant out hunting.;)

Gray Blazer
12-18-2009, 12:23

Weary
No. You just have to mention the Goreacle and it'll be gone in seconds. Just watch.:D

Rain Man
12-18-2009, 15:32
End of winter. when?

Depends on the elevation, of course. :)

Rain:sunMan

Pedaling Fool
12-18-2009, 17:22
Global Warming is a political issue, no science to it; therefore, it can no longer be mentioned on this website.:eek::D;)

:sun

weary
12-18-2009, 20:14
Global Warming is a political issue, no science to it; therefore, it can no longer be mentioned on this website.:eek::D;)
:sun
Well, I'm tempted to say, "then shut up." However, I feel that there is a bit of science on which some of us base our opinions. What do you think? John.

Weary

weary
12-18-2009, 20:28
But getting back to this thread. My inlaws retired to North Carolina, a state they loved after a work life spent in Wisconsin, where my wife grew up. She thinks we should move down there as we approach being elderly. She'll return from work in an hour. She has worked a few days at LL Beans during recent holiday seasons, manning the order phones. If you order anything, ask to speak to mary ellen.

Anyway, when she returns tonight to enjoy a delightful shrimp dish I'm preparing, I'm going to suggest we take up her urge for a southern retirement. I just heard on the TV news that NC is expecting 24 inches of snow tonight. That's more snow than I've seen on the coast of Maine in one storm in years. Do you suppose that warming temperatures are changing wind patterns, and weather patterns? Just a rhetorical question. No answers desired. I don't want to violate any rules.

Weary

Pedaling Fool
12-19-2009, 09:02
I don't know if any records will be broken here, but I'm confident there is nothing remarkably record-setting about this weather event. Remember the Storm of the Century of 1993 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Storm_of_the_Century), then you got the Blizzard of '96 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blizzard_of_%2796).

And numerous other spectacular snow events.

LIhikers
12-19-2009, 14:11
Instead of counting 12.5 weeks I'd rather think of it as about 90 days.
Days go by so much quicker than weeks that even 90 of them seem shorter, to me, than 12 weeks :rolleyes:

Doctari
12-19-2009, 14:26
Our first snow this year started falling around 0005 this morning. So winter can stay now.
I finished my new Pulk about 15 minutes ago, will wait a few more hours till I try it out. For those that count under 1 foot of snow as just "Some", we got "A-LOT" at about 1 INCH. People started driving like there was 3 feet of snow around 0900 YESTERDAY! Driving like that because it MIGHT snow sometime late tonight. :eek:

weary
12-19-2009, 19:03
Our first snow this year started falling around 0005 this morning. So winter can stay now.
I finished my new Pulk about 15 minutes ago, will wait a few more hours till I try it out. For those that count under 1 foot of snow as just "Some", we got "A-LOT" at about 1 INCH. People started driving like there was 3 feet of snow around 0900 YESTERDAY! Driving like that because it MIGHT snow sometime late tonight. :eek:
Wow, as the coast of Maine gets the last of the big storm (most of it went out to sea) the forecasters say we can expect TWO whole inches by Sunday morning!

Weary

mudhead
12-20-2009, 16:05
Had to go and stir up the weather gods, dintcha.:)

5" here, measured with a female's ruler, so it is a true measure.

sasquatch2014
12-20-2009, 16:18
Wow, as the coast of Maine gets the last of the big storm (most of it went out to sea) the forecasters say we can expect TWO whole inches by Sunday morning!

Weary

That is about what we got and on top of that with the storm heading out to sea and us being on the back end it is now pulling down strong cold north winds. Most snow I saw was where it drifted over the road. At this point on the ridge I can look out and see Cat Rocks, The one by NY 22, and the Catskill Mts in the distance so it catches the wind nicely.