PDA

View Full Version : planning my first thru hike

newhiker4
12-16-2009, 18:15
Hey everyone, so I am planning a northbound thru hike for the early spring this coming year. Hopefully Ill be setting foot on the trailhead on March 1st. However, my situation is a little different.

The lease on my apartment is up the end of February and my brother and I were planning on getting an apartment together in June when his lease is up. So this gives me only 3 months to hike the trail. I know 3 months would be a difficult task considering it is my first attempt at a thru hike and I realize 24 miles a day is probably not a doable goal at first. I would still like to plan on completing the trail even if I cant do it in this short amount of time. I want to hike as much of the trail as possible.

I am also on a limited budget. I dont want to spend more than $1600.

If anyone as any advice on less expensive gear, what types of foods to buy, etc. please feel free to share any advice.

bigcranky
12-16-2009, 18:40
Do you have any gear? Or does the $1600 have to cover that, too?

What you seek isn't impossible, but it is unlikely. If it were me, I would plan to hike to Harper's Ferry (halfway). Your budget will get you there if you are reasonably frugal on the trail.

Check the front page of Whiteblaze in the Articles section for tips on low cost thru-hiking.

rjridgely
12-16-2009, 18:41
do it when you have more money & time, you will enjoy it so much more

newhiker4
12-16-2009, 18:48
I do have some gear. I have a sleeping bag, im pretty set on clothing already, i also have some cooking equipment and first aid/repair kit. Besides a few other things, 1600 will need to cover the rest of the costs.

Bearpaw
12-16-2009, 18:51
Show up at Springer and hike north until you run out of time or money. Problem solved.

Don't kill yourself. Hike at your own pace.

Buy your gear used, online at clearance, or check out a scratch and dent sale at a local REI. Many have one around New Year's Day.

newhiker4
12-16-2009, 19:04
Yea Thats what i was planning to do. Didnt know about the scratch and dent sales though. Thanks Bearpaw

Bearpaw
12-16-2009, 19:07
Yea Thats what i was planning to do. Didnt know about the scratch and dent sales though. Thanks Bearpaw

If you go to REI.com, you can click on local stores in the "Stores and Events" button. From there you can get a list of all upcoming events including Scratch and Dents. Good time to pick up basic used gear at greatly reduced prices.