PDA

View Full Version : Which hammock?

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 20:15
So, I love my tent. Love it. Love it. But, I also like hammocks, and I've been looking at the Hennessys for ages, and was wondering, which is best? I was thinking, maybe the Expedition Asym, and right now they're having a great deal (one free scout hammock with any order over $139, and two free snakeskins), so if I'm going to get a Hennessy, I might as well get it now and get the good deal!

Thoughts on the Expedition Asym?

Ewker
12-16-2009, 20:22
yeah go buy a Warbonnet Blackbird

http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.net/blackbird_h.htm

or a Speer Hammock

http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Hammock.htm

nox
12-16-2009, 20:24
my friend bought the expedition a few months ago he loves it, it isn't, in my opinion and his, as comfortable as my ENO doublenest. But with the attached netting it is far lighter than my ENO with the separate bug net. It is kinda weird entering through the bottom and wondering if you will slide out in the night, but you won't. The tarp that comes with it barely covers you but is fine if you are under tree cover but if the rain it going sideways it might be an issue. If you are going to get it now is def the time. Happy Hanging!!

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 20:27
Never mind! Please delete this thread mods! (Really sorry for the uneccesary thread, resolved this already)

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 20:28
And thanks all, I just ordered the Asym!

ShelterLeopard
12-16-2009, 20:32
I did consider the warbonnet for a long time, but the Hennessy won out.

Bearpaw
12-16-2009, 20:39
I did consider the warbonnet for a long time, but the Hennessy won out.

If you hammock very long, you'll wind up getting a Warbonnet any way!;)

mbiraman
12-16-2009, 20:43
Now that you've bought the Asym you might want to consider a zipper Mod from these good folks
http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/

sasquatch2014
12-16-2009, 21:45
I have a Clark NA as I do a bunch of 3 season hiking and love it but if you are mainly hiking in warmer weather it is a bit heavier than you really may need. Who knows I may bring it on the shake out hike just so I can get away from everyone at night. just kidding or am I :rolleyes:

bigcranky
12-16-2009, 22:00
I got my first Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym in 2002, got the longer Explorer Asym in 2003, and have used it off an on ever since. I don't see any reason to change. I use it in the summer, so I need the bug netting. I like the bottom entrance. The only real change was the addition of a Maccat Deluxe tarp a couple of years ago.

SGT Rock
12-16-2009, 22:06
For three seasons without bugs it is my homemade hammock with an Ettowah tarp. For summer with bugs it is a Hennessy Ultralight.

white_russian
12-16-2009, 22:08
If you are going to get a Hennessy you might as well get the Ultralight. Its only 50 bucks more for 3/4 pound weight savings, pretty cheap.

Hooch
12-16-2009, 22:57
I've used a ENO and Speer with lots o' comfort. My current hammock of choice is the Warbonnet Blackbird 1.7 DL. Simply put, it's the Cadillac of hammocks. It just doesn't get any more comfortable than a Warbonnet. :D

Tinker
12-17-2009, 00:45
I had a Henessey Ultralight A-sym and sold it when I found out that I like being able to sit with my legs over the side of the hammock more than once in a while, and when I discovered that I could use a sleeping bag like a Speer Pea Pod. Now I use a basic top entry hammock with a tarp over it and pull a sleeping bag up around the whole hammock. When the bugs come out I cover the hammock and bag with an ENO bug net. I still get to sit up and enjoy the scenery without getting eaten alive.

cowpoke
12-17-2009, 14:52
I have the expedition deluxe....6'4"/260...love it....but have not figured out how to stay warm below freezing. Granted I don't hike much in the winter but I've found it can get fairly cold on the mountains of Georgia in October and April. But it sets up and takes down quickly...and you won't fall out the slit while sleeping. I'll figure out the staying warm thing sooner or later....

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 14:58
Hey, if anyone is interested, Hennessy is giving away free scout hammocks and snakeskins for each hammock with every purchase over $138- good deal! (Found that out after I decided to get the Hennessy, only added to my excitement!)

sheepdog
12-17-2009, 15:05
Made my own
sylnylon tarp and all
less than $100

white_russian
12-17-2009, 15:05
Hey, if anyone is interested, Hennessy is giving away free scout hammocks and snakeskins for each hammock with every purchase over $138- good deal! (Found that out after I decided to get the Hennessy, only added to my excitement!)
They have had much better deals than that at Trail Days. I got my Ultralight Backpacker for $99 at TD a few years back

HikerRanky
12-17-2009, 15:10
I have the expedition deluxe....6'4"/260...love it....but have not figured out how to stay warm below freezing. Granted I don't hike much in the winter but I've found it can get fairly cold on the mountains of Georgia in October and April. But it sets up and takes down quickly...and you won't fall out the slit while sleeping. I'll figure out the staying warm thing sooner or later....

I have a HH Deluxe as my #2 hammock. I use the HH SuperShelter system with mine. It takes some time to set it all up, so I've been thinking about ordering a JRB Winter Nest for it.

The SuperShelter with the OverCover comes to about $180.00 for the Deluxe hammock. The Winter Nest is $335.00.

Hope this helps you!

Randy

BrianLe
12-17-2009, 17:02
I've got my HH Asym backpacker with supershelter system ready for my wife to mail to me if --- once on the trail --- I decide that it's worth the about 1 pound weight and greater-bulk-in-the-pack penalty to have more flexibility in where I sleep. Since I'm starting in late Feb, it's tough to be sure I would be warm enough without perhaps an even greater weight & packed-bulk penalty. And I'll be starting out pretty weak and flabby and with a higher base weight in general due to warm clothing.

My guess is that I'll stay on the ground for this trip. It seems that when I'm carrying a tent I always pass great campsites for hammocks, and when I'm carrying my hammock I'm missing the benefits of my tent. Such is backpacking life, I guess!

In terms of the supershelter system --- I haven't looked at HH text about this recently, but I ended up feeling that it wasn't as warm as I had hoped. I bought a second open-cell foam pad for mine, and that definitely made things warmer, but the total bulk of the system was getting out of hand. If starting fresh, I'd definitely be inclined to a JRB product.

white_russian
12-17-2009, 17:21
I've got my HH Asym backpacker with supershelter system ready for my wife to mail to me if --- once on the trail --- I decide that it's worth the about 1 pound weight and greater-bulk-in-the-pack penalty to have more flexibility in where I sleep. Since I'm starting in late Feb, it's tough to be sure I would be warm enough without perhaps an even greater weight & packed-bulk penalty. And I'll be starting out pretty weak and flabby and with a higher base weight in general due to warm clothing.

My guess is that I'll stay on the ground for this trip. It seems that when I'm carrying a tent I always pass great campsites for hammocks, and when I'm carrying my hammock I'm missing the benefits of my tent. Such is backpacking life, I guess!

In terms of the supershelter system --- I haven't looked at HH text about this recently, but I ended up feeling that it wasn't as warm as I had hoped. I bought a second open-cell foam pad for mine, and that definitely made things warmer, but the total bulk of the system was getting out of hand. If starting fresh, I'd definitely be inclined to a JRB product.

Have her send it to you at Hanover. In NH and ME the number of good tenting spots drops off a bit.

fishallday
12-17-2009, 22:39
i was hiking lst august and my tent pole broke and i was right by the neel gap outfitter and baught the hennessy asym and ive loved it ever scene so go with the hennessy

ShelterLeopard
12-17-2009, 23:01
I did, and I'm glad to hear you like it- I can't WAIT for it to get here.

unclemjm
12-17-2009, 23:24
I started hanging in a homemade Speer type hammock then moved to a Hennessey Explorer UL. My wife liked it so I bought another. My daughter liked it so I bought a HH Backpacker UL. My son finally decided he wanted off the ground and he bought a Warbonnet Blackbird. Since we liked it we added another Blackbird to the collection. The next step was to get a zipper modification to the Hennesseys making them both top entry and bottom entry...

Worrying that we might end up somewhere without trees we bought a new tent - it still has the tags on it.

We like hammocks. :)

Raul Perez
01-03-2010, 10:23
I started out with a hennessey and ended up ditching it and went running to the blackbird. For me it was the best decision I made when it came to getting better sleep.

sasquatch2014
01-03-2010, 12:11
Bit bulky for most folks but it has never let me down I love my Clark North American. 3 plus season right out of the box.

mak52580
01-06-2010, 02:47
If you hammock very long, you'll wind up getting a Warbonnet any way!;)

Agreed! I started out with a Clark. LOVE it, but it's heavy and not very practical for backpacking. Switched to a WBBB. Like many say, it's like going from a twin bed to a king.