PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking and walking

ridgewalker777
09-01-2004, 17:01
Does a thru-hike or a section hike make it more likely or less that you'll take long walks, walk down town, or otherwise forgo motorized conveyance? I find it hard to avoid the luxury and convenience of vehicles after hiking if that is an option. Was interested if other hikers have experience either way...

eyahiker
09-01-2004, 17:24
So far I SH, and only take rides from PU's. Never in a car, and only if it's more than 1 to 1.5 miles.

2XL
09-01-2004, 20:41
Are you asking, when not hiking and just living every day life in town, do we choose to walk instead of take the car?
I try to walk everywhere I can around my town. Gas costs too much for my big truck. Although the price has now dropped to $1.99 for Reg.

TedB
09-01-2004, 22:56
I am the only person I know who walks to work, although not every day. I can't believe I used to sit in traffic on the freeway everyday.

MisterSweetie
09-01-2004, 22:58
I ride my bike to work almost every day. And sometimes I ride my bike to my other job. I ride to class, as well. I just ride all over.
I am the only person I know who walks to work, although not every day. I can't believe I used to sit in traffic on the freeway everyday.

gravityman
09-02-2004, 10:28
Most hikers, I would say, are with you. If they can get a ride across the parking lot, they will take it. I know I would. I figure that I have walked enough at the end of the day. That's while hiking. After the trail, the memory fades, and you are pretty much the normal american who goes on lonk hikes on the weekend...

Gravity Man

flyfisher
09-02-2004, 10:31
Does a thru-hike or a section hike make it more likely or less that you'll take long walks, walk down town, or otherwise forgo motorized conveyance? I find it hard to avoid the luxury and convenience of vehicles after hiking if that is an option. Was interested if other hikers have experience either way...

I had wondered the same thing. I was encouraged to find Jeremiah, GA>ME 01 out hiking in the Smoky Mountains last week. He said that he hikes every weekend he can.

chris
09-03-2004, 15:29
I probably walk more now than I did before I started the long distance thing. The main thing that has changed is that my concept of a long in-town walk has changed. If it was more than 2 miles away, I drove. Now, I walk if it is under 4. I've gotten housing here in WA specifically to be within walking distance of my job (1.25 miles one way).

ridgewalker777
09-07-2004, 17:44
I almost have to make myself walk several hundred yards when a car is readily available! Sloth is always there when we don't feel like walking--but it is more likely that by walking, we'll experience more of life, though in some towns and cities the life is not very desirable.