PDA

View Full Version : How to insulate the handles

LimpsAlong
12-17-2009, 09:14
Got a MSR Titan Kettle. I read somewhere that someone had used something to insulate the handles. I know I could use my bandana but I like the idea of not having to use anything extra to lift the pot. I think it was some kinda tubing. Any ideas?

white_russian
12-17-2009, 09:20
Maybe clear vinyl tubing? My hardware store sells a bunch of different diameters of it by the foot.

garlic08
12-17-2009, 09:25
I had a pot with some insulated handles that took at least a month to burn off. It looked like teflon wire insulation, like this: https://www.hndme.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=91

Good luck finding something in small quantity.

grayfox
12-17-2009, 09:44
I think it was silicon aquarium airline tubing. Seems like a wokable idea.

SuperTroll
12-17-2009, 17:21
http://makezine.com/pub/tool/Plasti_Dip

mkmangold
12-17-2009, 17:45
http://makezine.com/pub/tool/Plasti_Dip

Clear silicone caulk.

FishBone
12-17-2009, 17:47
been there, done that, slowly burning off the tubing every time the alcohol stove flares up!

got smart; went to dollar store, got a silicone rubber pot grabber; cut it to size; weighs <1oz.; no more burnt bandanas, or fingers:banana!!!!!

1azarus
12-17-2009, 17:49
Clear silicone caulk.

that could be a really good idea. i was going to say... a leaf! but I like your suggestion. gonna try it.

mkmangold
12-17-2009, 18:00
that could be a really good idea. i was going to say... a leaf! but I like your suggestion. gonna try it.

Don't caulk the horizontal part of the handles: the caulk will burn off of that. And fit the flame to the stove: obviously flames high enough to burn off the caulk at the other parts of the handles are too high.

srestrepo
12-22-2009, 22:43
i've always heard that fiberglass tape or wrap would work. anyone know where to get the stuff though?

mkmangold
12-22-2009, 23:18
i've always heard that fiberglass tape or wrap would work. anyone know where to get the stuff though?
I've done that around the pot but not on the handles. Two turns of fiberglass tape insulates well enough. I get mine from fiberglass casting material but maybe you could try the drywall fiberglass tape. I don't know: maybe you could experiment with it and get back to us on it.

Wags
12-22-2009, 23:55
i'd caution against using fiberglass tape in that little pieces of the fiberglass come off on your hands when you touch it. you could end up ingesting this or rubbing it into your eye. not something i'd want to have happen out in the woods

dmax
12-23-2009, 00:38
I don't have a clue, and I'm just throwing this out there...Would muffler wrap work? Not the tape but the wrap.

JoshStover
12-23-2009, 00:42
I don't have a clue, and I'm just throwing this out there...Would muffler wrap work? Not the tape but the wrap.

That is exactly what i was going to say. I just wrapped the headers on my VW a few months ago and I had some extra so I used it on my handles. It works perfect! I only needed to wrap it around the handle about 1.5 times and my digits havent been burnt yet...

srestrepo
12-23-2009, 00:44
damn wags good call... please dont wrap your handles with fiberglass please

mkmangold
12-23-2009, 22:29
i'd caution against using fiberglass tape in that little pieces of the fiberglass come off on your hands when you touch it. you could end up ingesting this or rubbing it into your eye. not something i'd want to have happen out in the woods

Are we talking the same thing? I use fiberglass casting material and it has never flaked or fallen off, even after heating.

Wags
12-24-2009, 02:14
maybe not, but i've used some sort of fiberglass wick material and it kind of did. not something i'd like to leave to chance

Trout
12-24-2009, 09:06
Why not just use a bandana as a pot holder?

take-a-knee
12-24-2009, 11:57
Why not just use a bandana as a pot holder?

That works for me, just make sure it's cotton, not some synthetic that'll catch fire, that is the only cotton in my pack.

Hikes in Rain
12-24-2009, 12:20
I still managed to catch mine on fire, last time I tried it. Or rather, scorch a hole in it. Didn't notice a corner drooping down.

Wise Old Owl
12-24-2009, 12:57
So long as your UL thin micro fleece gloves are dry just put one on and pick up the pot. (dual purpose)

I agree with the post do not put anything on the horizontals.

Bags4266
12-24-2009, 14:46
So long as your UL thin micro fleece gloves are dry just put one on and pick up the pot. (dual purpose)

I agree with the post do not put anything on the horizontals.

I did that with my fleece gloves not realizing the handles were hot and they almost melted to my fingers. Use a bandana. Fleece is plastic.:eek:

ARambler
12-24-2009, 18:36
I consider this problem still open. Many of the responses seem to be lame attempts to be helpful. If you think I'm criticizing wait until you hear my "advice".
1) One of the reasons for switching from alcohol to butane was to get a more concentrated flame.
2) I size my windscreen (Al foil) to fit below the handle. If it is windy, I put the handle on the upwind side (the windscreen is pressed against the pot and any excess flame blows away from the handle.)
3) I use the Evernew pots that come with a rubber sleeve on the handle. If the handle gets warm, it is insulated, if it gets hot, the smell of the burning rubber warns me.
4) I read Whiteblaze to figure out how to replace the insulation when it is all burnt.

So, I like the idea of a teflon tube. Tygon tubes are usually pvc which may be the least heat resistant plastic.
Rambler

DBT fan
12-25-2009, 01:55
I did that with my fleece gloves not realizing the handles were hot and they almost melted to my fingers. Use a bandana. Fleece is plastic.:eek:

Kinda like Napalm! Ouch!

Powder River
12-26-2009, 03:21
I thought, reading the title of this thread that you were looking for a way to insulate love handles! Haha