PDA

View Full Version : Question about the Max Epperson Shelter

Midway Sam
09-01-2004, 19:02
A buddy and I are planning a section hike from the Amicalola Falls State Park Visitor's Center to Hogpen Gap in a couple of weeks. We will be arriving at AFSP late on a Tuesday evening, possibly around 9:00 or 10:00pm. I note that the Max Epperson Shelter behind the visitors center is designated "thru hikers only". How much thru hiker traffic is there in mid September? Also, do you know if there is a "shelter cop" on site that would demand to see our thru-hiker ID cards before we would be allowed to sleep there? Finally, will there be a gate that will be locked at the entrance to the SP if we arrive that late?

Thanks in advance for fielding these questions,

"Midway Sam" Conder
Midway, KY

Lone Wolf
09-02-2004, 14:19
There ain't no such thing as a thru-hiker ID card. How elitist would that be!? Just tell a ranger IF you see one, you're hiking thru to Hogpen Gap.

Midway Sam
09-02-2004, 21:35
There ain't no such thing as a thru-hiker ID card. How elitist would that be!? Just tell a ranger IF you see one, you're hiking thru to Hogpen Gap.
I forgot the and tags around that statement. I know there is no such thing, it was just my way of figgerin' out if they would even question if we were thru-hikers or not.

Thanks for the reply and for the help.

Sam

SGT Rock
09-02-2004, 21:37
Actualy I am the "Official Thru-Hiker ID Card" person. I can suppply you with an official thru-hiker ID card with about 45 days notices and $100. ;)

Dances with Mice
09-02-2004, 21:52
I've stayed there several times 'off season' for section hikes. As long as you're obviously living out of your backpack, y'know, not showing up with Coleman lanterns, lawn chairs, 50 gallon Igloo coolers, a cabin wall tent with a generator and TV, stuff that looks like you're just trying to avoid paying for a car camping site, nobody will question you.

Main gate will be open.

Park in the lot directly across street from the visitor's center, on the left as you drive in. Walk around to the back of the visitor's center, thru the arch, follow the trail up a few yards to the first trail to the left. Privy and showers are back down the hill next to the center.

Ewker
08-01-2006, 12:32
How much use does this shelter get. I would be getting in late on a Friday night. If it is full can you tent around it?

minnesotasmith
08-02-2006, 09:39
Is that it has WIRE for bunks, all but guaranteed to rip up sleeping bags and Thermarests. I've never stayed there due to that issue.

thestin
08-02-2006, 09:50
You can call the park to make sure, but many Georgia state parks lock their front gate at 10pm.

bulldog49
11-02-2006, 15:25
How much use does this shelter get. I would be getting in late on a Friday night. If it is full can you tent around it?

If the shelter is full, you have to hike a couple miles up the access trail past the State Park Boundary (marked with a sign) and camp in the National Forest. There are a couple campsites along the trail.

If available, the park also has a number of pay to use campsites for car campers.

TN_Hiker
11-02-2006, 15:43
Actualy I am the "Official Thru-Hiker ID Card" person. I can suppply you with an official thru-hiker ID card with about 45 days notices and $100. ;)

Sarge: what is the expiration date on that?:)

jpassehl
03-02-2014, 15:56
Any updates on this shelter? Are the bunks really made of wire? It's prime thru-hiking start time right now, would I be a huge ******* if I slept at the shelter even though I'm only going on a 5 day section hike?

HikerMom58
03-02-2014, 16:15
Good grief... this thread was started 10 years ago! :eek:

Lone Wolf
03-02-2014, 19:57
Any updates on this shelter? Are the bunks really made of wire? It's prime thru-hiking start time right now, would I be a huge ******* if I slept at the shelter even though I'm only going on a 5 day section hike?the shelter is for anyone on foot

marti038
03-03-2014, 16:34
Any updates on this shelter? Are the bunks really made of wire? It's prime thru-hiking start time right now, would I be a huge ******* if I slept at the shelter even though I'm only going on a 5 day section hike?

I slept there back in September. If I remember correctly there were two sleeping platforms, both made of plywood. It is screened with a door and is a short walk from the AFSP visitor's center.

The only piece of advice I would share about it is to not forget to bring earplugs in case you have to share it with someone else (as we did).