PDA

View Full Version : Auto Storage

Megapixel
12-17-2009, 20:28
I'm drawing a blank on this part on my trip planning and thought some others' thoughts might help.

I have a car, I am not willing to sell it before our AT thru attempt, and I do not have family to leave it with to run it once in a while to keep it healthy. I'm out of ideas of what to do about this dilemma.

The only idea I have at this point is hire someone out to start it up once a week or so, but I'm still out of ideas where to store it during this? Is there storage for automobiles like self storage for belongings?
:-?

gunner76
12-17-2009, 20:58
Rent of those storage units that are all over the place. Disconnect the battery and jack up the car so the tires are off the ground and make sure the gas tank is full to prevent condensation in the tank and rust from forming. When you get back you may need a new battery and some air in the tires, other than that you should be good to go.

Megapixel
12-17-2009, 21:07
Rent of those storage units that are all over the place. Disconnect the battery and jack up the car so the tires are off the ground and make sure the gas tank is full to prevent condensation in the tank and rust from forming. When you get back you may need a new battery and some air in the tires, other than that you should be good to go.

I have heard not to let a car sit for that long, without running it, including a mechanic. Interesting. Will those storage units hold a vechicle? I thought they were smaller.

ShakeyLeggs
12-17-2009, 21:44
> Change the oil and filter. Used oil contains acids, moisture, and other combustion byproducts that, over time, can cause corrosion inside the engine.

> Fill the engine with fresh oil and then drive the vehicle for a few miles to make sure the new oil gets thoroughly circulated.

> Pull the spark plugs and pour about a teaspoon of oil into each cylinder. Then replace the plugs. This will help coat the cylinders to prevent rust.

> Seal off engine openings with absorbent cotton to keep moisture out.

> Remove the battery and clean its top with a mixture of baking soda and water. Ideally, a trickle charger should be used to keep the battery fully charged while the vehicle is in storage.

> Top up all fluids, including transmission and rear axle. Also look at the color of the brake fluid. New brake fluid is clear. If the fluid in the car looks brown and dirty, the system needs to be flushed. Old brake fluid has a lot of moisture in it, which could cause rust in the system.

> Drain the cooling system. If the engine's block and cylinder head(s) are cast-iron, refill the cooling system with new coolant. If one or both engine components are made of aluminum, leave the system empty—coolant can react with the aluminum, forming corrosion.

> Loosen the drivebelts to take the pressure off of the pulley bearings (unnecessary if the engine has an automatic drivebelt tensioner.)

http://ad.doubleclick.net/ad/site117.tmus/carcare;tile=3;pos=left;sz=300x250;artId=ccr200106 01sv;art=Vehicle_Storage_Tips;chan=CarCare;schan=M aintenance_Tips/Advice;ord=8651363? (http://ad.doubleclick.net/jump/site117.tmus/carcare;tile=3;pos=left;sz=300x250;artId=ccr200106 01sv;art=Vehicle_Storage_Tips;chan=CarCare;schan=M aintenance_Tips/Advice;ord=8651363?)

> If the car will be in storage for a year or more, support it on jackstands or blocks. This will take the weight off of the wheel bearings and suspension components. Also, remove the wheels and tires, lower the tire pressure slightly, and store them flat and out of sunlight.

> If the wheels and tires will be left on the vehicle, add about 10 pounds of pressure to each tire. This will help prevent flat spots.

> Wash and wax the finish. Also, go over vinyl, leather, tires, and other rubber components with the proper type of protectant.

> If you wash the carpet and upholstery, let the vehicle air out until the inside is thoroughly dry. Sealing up a wet interior is a sure formula for mildew.

> Remove the wipers to keep them from taking a set. Also, wrap the wiper arms with a cloth so they don't scratch the windshield.

> To help prevent mice or other rodents from taking up residence in the car, seal the tailpipe and any other openings.

> Write down everything that you've done to prepare the vehicle for storage. This will make sure that you don't forget anything when getting it ready to go back on the road.

Blissful
12-17-2009, 22:26
Hard to believe you don't have a friend somewhere who can keep it for you and have use of it. I know a few here who would love to use it, including a former thru hiker here in town. :)

harryfred
12-18-2009, 00:09
I've been a mechanic for the last 31 years. I've set cars up for others for long term storage and I use to do my own when I was in the Navy, when I went on cruise. Shakey legs gave excellent advice:clap I must say Blissful's is probably the better option and in the long run cheaper. Just make sure whoever runs your car takes care of insurance and normal maintenance and be prepared for; Hey, things happen. I am assuming there is nothing to awfully special about the car in question. The absolutely worse thing is to just have some one start it every once in a while and shut it down. It would be better to just leave it sit and have some one like me come start it. The engine needs to run hot for a while to burn off acids and condensation, and the drive train needs to turn to stay lubricated.

Compass
12-18-2009, 00:22
If its a plastic tank do not fill it up instead try to leave it somewhat empty so it can be stabilized easier with a fuel stabilizer so less gas will go bad and be enriched with new fuel when you return. All gas now has ethynol wich will absorb water but will evaporate over time leaving a lower octane.

As previous post suggested;
Definetly Change the oil.
Disconnect Battery.
If Coolant is older than 4+ years changing is a good idea.
Replacing brake fluid in master cylinder every 2-3 years is good PM.
The list is an excelent idea.

And
If stored in a garage leave a window open atleast 2".
Replace wiper blades when you return.

WalkingStick75
12-18-2009, 09:29
The car will only be sitting for about 6 months. I have a old plow truck that sits for 8 months out of the year and it seams to survive. I will bet if you check with a mini storage they would even start it up once in a while for you. Just cover it to protect it from the FL sun

Old Hillwalker
12-18-2009, 09:42
I have an old "waterpumper" P-car that I put up on blocks every winter November to May. It stays in one of those quonset hut like, canvas garages. New oil, battery out, fuel stabilizer, mouse bait, plastic drop cloth to keep moisture from the ground, in the ground and a car cover. Been doing this for five years now with no visible bad effects. One thing that I do every spring is to pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it until I get oil pressure, then start it.

Two Speed
12-18-2009, 10:44
. . .
> Fill the engine with fresh oil and then drive the vehicle for a few miles to make sure the new oil gets thoroughly circulated.
Actually, refill the crankcase with the amount of oil recommended by the manufacturer. Filling the engine and starting it will cause all of the seals to leak like mad.

[/SNARK]

Seriously, back in the day, when I was employed by Georgia Power the mechanics had rebuilt the engine in one of the pick ups. The lead mechanic told a new mechanic's helper to "fill the engine with oil and take it for a test drive." The helper did exactly that, filled the engine to the top of the valve cover and then took the truck for a test drive.

I leave the rest to your imagination.

rhjanes
12-18-2009, 11:26
put in some fuel stablizer. You can find it in the lawn and garden section at Home Depot or Lowes.
Do NOT start it up every week for just a bit. You will do more damage. If you can find someone to DRIVE it for 20 minutes, once a month, then do that. 20 minutes and everything gets all hot and burns off condensation and such.
I have 2 classic cars. I use fuel stabilizer and drive them at least once a month, but for at least 20 minutes or more. Been doing that for 25 years and they stay fine.
But it if has to sit, then take all those steps at the start of this thread.

modiyooch
12-18-2009, 20:20
Check with local churches and ministries. There are times when missionaries return home for a period of time and need transportation. Maybe you could even right the usage off as charity. Keep in mind I'm not a tax accountant.

modiyooch
12-18-2009, 20:21
Check with local churches and ministries. There are times when missionaries return home for a period of time and need transportation. Maybe you could even right the usage off as charity. Keep in mind I'm not a tax accountant.that would be "write" and not "right". Must be the snow.

Megapixel
12-18-2009, 20:41
a wealth of information here. thanks to all. i shall move forward with all this in mind in my decision.

Old Hillwalker
12-18-2009, 20:42
Check with local churches and ministries. There are times when missionaries return home for a period of time and need transportation. Maybe you could even right the usage off as charity. Keep in mind I'm not a tax accountant.

Best idea yet. But what about insurance? Hmm

modiyooch
12-18-2009, 20:52
Best idea yet. But what about insurance? HmmMy children have separate insurance policies in their names; but my cars. They pay the premiums and their driving record does not reflect my policy.

veteran
12-18-2009, 21:45
This is how the Germans do it.

How's this for an engineering feat?

GERMAN PARKING GARAGE Munich, Germany

This is incredible! Can you imagine how all this operates? How do they lock each car in its cubicle for safety.

WHO CARES. NO ONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND COULD GET IN THERE.

Talk about German efficiency! The two photos below were taken at a new parking garage in Munich. The actual space that the facility occupies is approximately only 20% of a comparable facility with the traditional design that is used primarily in the US.

Not only is the German structure less expensive to build, but vehicles are also "retrieved" in less time and without the potential of being damaged by an attendant.

http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/B/F/garage2_sm.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/urbanlegends/1/0/A/F/garage1_sm.jpg

daylaandjasper
12-20-2009, 02:02
that parking garage thing is really cool. I am leaving my truck with a friend who will drive it around every few weeks. in 2001 I inadvertenly left my truck in storage for a year- my 6 week section hike turned into a thru and I was gone a bit longer on both ends. So i did nothing to prepare it, it wasn't started at all- the battery was dead and would not hold a charge, but the truck was still under warranty at the time and I got a new one for free- I have been driving the same truck for the last 8 years without adverse problems related to its storage.