PDA

View Full Version : speer hammock ready to go camping :)

cupcake
09-01-2004, 20:00
i bought all the materials to make my speer hammock last winter --- i had everything but the spectra line --- i was unsure about the sag in my finished hammock, and needed the line, so i contacted ed and drove up to marion this afternoon --- so, yeah! it's finished! it's (mostly) ready to go camping. of course, now i want a peapod. i had tried out the peapod on a previous visit. i wanted it months ago, and still want it. whaaa!

shades of blue
09-01-2004, 21:04
I love my speer hammock. Traveled around 700 miles this summer using it. The pea pod is great, but I had some issues with the cold during my April section hike. Just takes some getting used to. Congrats on your hammock, and happy hanging.

Youngblood
09-01-2004, 21:11
i bought all the materials to make my speer hammock last winter --- i had everything but the spectra line --- i was unsure about the sag in my finished hammock, and needed the line, so i contacted ed and drove up to marion this afternoon --- so, yeah! it's finished! it's (mostly) ready to go camping. of course, now i want a peapod. i had tried out the peapod on a previous visit. i wanted it months ago, and still want it. whaaa!

Denise,

What did Ed tell you about the sag... and what do you mean by it's (mostly) ready to go camping? Enquiring minds want to know :)

Youngblood

ncmtns
09-01-2004, 21:50
Ive got a synthetic Pea Pod and very happy with it. Only wished it was longer for my 10' hammock. But still does the job. That and a down quilt in between the Pod and my hammock makes a perfect 3 season set up for me in the NC Mtns. When it drops around 40*, (plus or minus) I just wear extra insulated clothing. Below 30* I add my down sleeping bag... but gettin too old for that kind of cold. Im thinking my Betamid, pad and bag will be more reasonable weight wise... but then, you compromise comfort being on the ground.

cupcake
09-01-2004, 23:27
the sag i'm refering to is how much the hammock should dip when tied to the trees, and if i tied my knots properly --- when making the hammock, you have to gather the ends and tie them in a knot --- it's illustrated in his book, step by step --- it's kinda tricky though. i wanted to make sure that everything was okay before i started to use my hammock, because if my knots needed to be re-tied, i wanted to do that before they were overtightened from use/body wt.
mostly ready to use --- i still have to tie the lines onto the tarp. then, i have to go camping. oh, and then i'll still have some of that, "this is my first time camping/sleeping in my hammock" anxiety. i'll take my tarptent as backup. always, a plan "b".

flyfisher
09-02-2004, 10:28

Have fun, sleep diagonally, make sure you have/use a pad for warmth underneath. You will be hooked.

Come on over to the Yahoo group on hammocking and tell us all about it!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/hammockcamping/messages