PDA

View Full Version : What shelter to take through the Smokies?

Cabin Fever
12-18-2009, 09:03
In the summer of 2010, I plan on doing the AT through the Smokies. I know that I need to get shelter reservations. However, as alluded to by other threads, I still need to take a shelter in case the shelter gets full somehow. What should I take? :-?

I was thinking about taking the Hennessy to be as small and light as possible considering that I probaby won't have to use it.

Thoughts?

Tennessee Viking
12-18-2009, 09:18
Whatever shelters that are open. Just nevermind the bear that decided to curl up next to you during the night.

Cabin Fever
12-18-2009, 09:24
Whatever shelters that are open. Just nevermind the bear that decided to curl up next to you during the night.

That, in now way, answers my question. I should report you. :banana

Hikes in Rain
12-18-2009, 09:25
I'd just take one of the thin plastic drop cloths, since you most likely won't use it. They're very lightweight, and you can use them later when you have to paint something.

Bearpaw
12-18-2009, 10:09
I was thinking about taking the Hennessy to be as small and light as possible considering that I probaby won't have to use it.

Thoughts?

Do it. You'll be happy. Plus, it's dual use as a pillow inside the shelter.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/5/0/2/5/015a.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=25209&original=1&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=5025&cutoffdate=-1)

scope
12-18-2009, 10:12

Love it when they do that, so nice and warm! But they do stink.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 10:14
Love it when they do that, so nice and warm! But they do stink.
And they can be grouchy in the morning. . . .

scope
12-18-2009, 10:17
In the summer of 2010, I plan on doing the AT through the Smokies. I know that I need to get shelter reservations. However, as alluded to by other threads, I still need to take a shelter in case the shelter gets full somehow. What should I take? :-?

Thoughts?

As opposed to... ??

What if you have to use it, are you also taking other Hammock stuff, or just using pad and bag in the hammock? I would at least assume you'd take a tarp, too, and while you'd get better sleep in the hammock, you could just take the tarp and a groundcloth which would be a lot lighter.

scope
12-18-2009, 10:19
And they can be grouchy in the morning. . . .

Just about all ground dwellers are that way :cool:

valleyfire
12-20-2009, 00:26
now thats the way to get help!!!

Blue Wolf
12-20-2009, 00:36
If you make a reservation you will have a guaranteed spot, no need to carry a tent or hammock.

Digger'02
01-07-2010, 16:50
blue, i agree with your post in concept, but not in practice- especially during thru-hiker season and snow season, both can create the unplanned need for a shelter.

In general, i think that everyone should carry a shelter (I prefer a tent) for survival purposes.

Get reservations, stick to the plan and carry a hammock. In the rare event that you need it, you'd better have it. The pillow comment is in the right vein.

I know everyone on the planet has made reservations and never had a problem...

Tinker
01-07-2010, 16:57
Anything is better than nothing. Personally, if I ever get around to a NOBO hike, I'll probably carry my hammock anyway, since I don't like sleeping in shelters. I'll just wait for them to fill up (hopefully). If not, I can hang around until it gets dark and sneak off into the woods.

Blue Wolf
01-07-2010, 18:25
In 09 every shelter on the trail was packed the only shelter I remember that there was only 3 of us was Vandeventer every shelter in the Smokies was full to the limit I'd never just count on a trail shelter always carry a tent or hammock. I meant by the post above that if you make a reservation you do get a spot in the shelter thru-hikers have to give up a spot for those with reservations no matter what time they show up. I think it kind of sucks myself bu that's the rule.

SMSP
01-08-2010, 02:18
After my experience in a shelter, hammocking in a shelter with a reservation sounds like a good option. Those boards were like sleeping on concrete. Of course, I didnt have a quality pad either. But still, if one is gonna carry hammock anyway, use it in the shelter whether it is full or not.

SMSP

Blissful
01-08-2010, 10:24
But still, if one is gonna carry hammock anyway, use it in the shelter whether it is full or not.

SMSP

I disagree. If you plan to stay inside a shelter you should give consideration to others who might be there, esp of they must stay in one such as in GSMNP. You do not have the liberty of setting up any tent or hammock in a shelter simply because the floor is hard or its cold and windy, unless you're the sole occupant (or others say its okay). Carry a pad for emergencies.

BobTheBuilder
01-08-2010, 10:45
There are two good reasons to bring some sort of tent/tarp/hammock through the Smokies. First, sometimes unexpected problems happen during hikes. Injury, weather, illness, whatever. If you are not at a shelter when they occur, it is important to have some sort of fall-back plan. Second, imagine showing up at the shelter where you have a reservation and it is full. And all the people there say THEY have reservations. Then what? There is no way to verify reservations when you are standing there in the middle of the woods, and unless you are willing to fight eight people, you aren't sleeping in the shelter.

Ox97GaMe
01-08-2010, 14:58
CF,
If you are only hiking through the park, then you will still need a permit and therefore will not have need to carry an additional shelter system. The rule for the park is that you must start 50 miles before and finish 50 miles after the park to be considered a 'thru hiker' and therfore not require permits. If that is the case, you are going to likely need shelter system anyway.

Also take into account that some of the shelters do not have places that are very hammock friendly. I am in the park a lot during the summer months doing trail maintenance. There are several times I have had to use my hennessey more like a tarp system (using my hiking poles) than as an actual hammock.

Also, are you planning to go NOBO or SOBO through the park? Deciding on which shelters you will be staying at will help in determining whether a hammock would work for you. Shoot me a message and we can discuss off-line.

PS. Keep up the good work on the TN ATC license plate project. :)

valleyfire
01-24-2010, 23:59
That is a great way to make friends on here and get the answers you are in need of!!!!

WILLIAM HAYES
01-25-2010, 01:56
take your hammock if you are going in the summer the shelters will be crowded

Chomp09
01-25-2010, 08:27
There is one good reason to bring (and use if you have the opportunity) a tent or hammock to SMNP that hasn't been mentioned yet. The MICE there are CRAZY!

Blissful
01-25-2010, 19:53
take your hammock if you are going in the summer the shelters will be crowded

On the AT if they are crowded but you have a reservation (which you're supposed to if you are not a thru hiker) then you get a space. You are not allowed to stay outside the shelter unless you meet their thru hike criteria. Shelter should be taken for emergencies or if you go off the AT to other trails (which have designated tentsites).

Cabin Fever
01-25-2010, 20:02
For all of those that commented about me bashing Tennessee Viking, calm down. I know him. I thought the banana would have indicated sarcasm.

For all of those that legitamately tried to answer my question, thanks.