PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recall any Bob Peoples stories?

Tractor
09-01-2004, 20:32
I'll try my best to get this one right:

A couple of years (+/-) ago, a north bound hiker set off from Overmountain Shelter, alone, just after those African Longhorn Cows were brought up to Hump Mountain. (He didn't know about this by the way.) The mist was so thick that it was difficult to see very far ahead (i know the feeling) as he made his way up.
The mist moved around and allowed some views form time to time. Onward he went and as he neared the top, he looked up, to see only the head and horns of a big bull......no body.......no other sight......just the big head of this bull. They say he "turned and ran" back to overmountain shelter where some other hikers remained. He was asked what in the world had happened. He replied: "I have just seen the devil himself and i think he's after me". I was told he didn't go back until the mist had cleared and he was with the other hikers.....;)

Lugnut
09-01-2004, 21:46
There is a large plastic bucket in the laundry room at Kincora that was being used by a 'not too swift' hiker to carry all his gear. Bob, being the considerate person that he is, convinced the guy that he really needed that bucket and would be more than willing to trade him a surplus backpack for it. The guy gladly traded and continued his trip with a real pack and Bob got a really nice bucket!

TankHiker
09-02-2004, 09:58
Wow, what a great idea for a thread. I love the bucket story!

As you know, Bob is always out doing trail maintenance. A lot of times hikers will come by and ask what he is doing. One of his standard answers is, "Oh, the ATC determined this section of the trail doesn't have enough PUDs. So, I am doing my best to add a few more." He said usually that would give the hikers a good laugh. But occasionally a hiker would think he was serious and get very upset.

-Tank

Tractor
09-02-2004, 18:55
...Bob says he really had the fella going on the bucket deal. Seems Bob had advance notice he was coming in and had procured a backpack ahead of time. When bucket guy showed up and asked if he could stay, Bob said he needed that bucket (i think before ever saying he had a bunk or not..). This confused and alarmed him, especially after Bob repeated that he really needed that bucket. Before the fella bolted (thinking Bob was off his rocker) Bob said he'd trade him a backpack for that bucket...and he did just that. Bob still has the bucket and I believe the guy made it to Maine and sent Bob a card that year.
:)

oyvay
09-08-2004, 18:22
The bucket belonged to Screamer(hiked in 2000), it held his food. He really was homeles, not just "hiker" homeless. A good guy. Other hikers told Bob about Screamer before Screamer got there, left a "guard" at the crossing to make sure Screamer got to Kincora. The bucket was exchanged for the pack and a lot of work done around the place. He collected beverage cans in Hot Springs for the Jesuits. I know another hiker that gave him his extra pair of socks at a shelter around Hot Springs, since he had none with his sneakers. Before Bob gave him the pack he carried his belongings rolled up in a plastic sheet.
Screamer was also an example of how little you need to carry on the trail and it's still possible to hike in cotton clothes like blue jeans.

That's the beauty of the AT, the colorful characters you meet on it! It's why I like it.

Tractor
09-08-2004, 21:02

Rancid
09-08-2004, 21:37
I followed "Ramkitten's" journal in 2000, along with a few other journals, and really got hooked on her writing. She has a way of pulling you into the trip with her and her hiking friends. Anyway, she wrote a short story about Screamer and her experiences with him. It's quite a good story on the "total trail experience" and she was awarded second prize in the 2003 Arizona Literary Contest for "Screamer". In her journal in TJ 2000, she first met him in the Smokies. You can read her story at, www.debralauman.com/screamer.shtml (http://www.debralauman.com/screamer.shtml) Enjoy.
Rancid

The Will
09-08-2004, 22:14
Rancid,

Thanks for sharing the link to the "Screamer" story. Good read, exemplary of the AT community.

The Eleven
09-20-2004, 14:54
Amazing. Brought tears to my eyes. Guess there is more than one way to be homeless, yet rich in other ways. Little Bear 2 CT

Tractor
09-21-2004, 22:01
Bob told us of an interview (at Kincora) in which the interviewer asked hikers why they hiked the Appalachian Trail. One of (or maybe the) first questioned replied "for the credibility". The interviewer asked him to explain and he, again, replied "for the credibility". Seems the interviewer looked at Bob for help but Bob didn't have a clue. Interviewer went on to others and finished up. Before he left he just had to get an explaination from credibility guy.

He came over and asked him (without camera/mic) just what he meant by the credibility thing....and it went something like this:

"well, I just hiked the PCT and I didn't get the credibility I needed, so I thought I would hike the whole AT and then, maybe, get the credibility I need to convince the Chinese embassy to issue me the visa to go to China to be the first person to hike the Great Wall of China...". I asked Bob if he made it and got his visa. He didn't know if he ever got that visa..........

Lybarger
02-18-2010, 18:06
Nice stories. Anyone else have a good one?

Trail Bug
02-19-2010, 07:23
Bob and I were both stationed at Phu Cat in 1969. Stayed up one night for several hours talking old times. I can't recall a specific story, but he is a great story teller with an awesome memory. I hated to go to bed, but knew I needed to get an early start hiking.

Doc
02-19-2010, 08:01
Bob and his stories go back to at least 1961 when I first met him as we were both part of the confused and ill prepared class of 1965 at the University of Massachusetts. We were kind of like the hikers showing up at Springer, excited and eager for the great challenge ahead, but somewhat naive about the actual process. As a result Bob was soon "invited" to take a little while off from college to examine his options and motivation. While he was on the "vacation" he was lucky enough to get a job working for the town where he came from in eastern Mass. While on top of a load of garbage he was spotted by an old high school teacher who provided the motivation to return to college and to excel. The teacher said something like "Peoples, I always knew that you would turn out like this, working on a garbage truck" When Bob returned to Amherst he was a new man with a purpose that saw him through graduation and is still part of his character as he works to help protect the Trail. Bob, if you read this please forgive me for telling the world about your "vacation" from UMass.

moytoy
02-19-2010, 08:43
Bob has been off the Trail awhile...Did he go back to school or get married to a not so earthy woman or something?

Buzz_Lightfoot
02-19-2010, 14:05
I followed "Ramkitten's" journal in 2000, along with a few other journals, and really got hooked on her writing. She has a way of pulling you into the trip with her and her hiking friends. Anyway, she wrote a short story about Screamer and her experiences with him. It's quite a good story on the "total trail experience" and she was awarded second prize in the 2003 Arizona Literary Contest for "Screamer". In her journal in TJ 2000, she first met him in the Smokies. You can read her story at, www.debralauman.com/screamer.shtml (http://www.debralauman.com/screamer.shtml) Enjoy.
Rancid

What a great story. Thanks for sharing!

Jack Tarlin
02-19-2010, 14:26
Moytoy:

Bob finished school and did indeed get married. He and Pat had more than 40 wonderful years together and anyone that met her knew what a great lady she was.

This will be Bob's 14th year running Kincora; I hope you get to meet him.

Doctari
02-19-2010, 19:50
Not humor, but I think it fits under the "Bob Peoples stories" heading.
Bob gave me some advice a few years ago, and I am so trying to follow it:
I was saying I wish I could thru hike (or at least section hike more / longer), but didn't have the funds. Bob told me: "Well, my dad & now Pat have taught me to go for it because you don't know how long you have. Go regardless of the money situation, you won't regret it!" about 5 months later Pat passed away. I now hike as often as I can, even if I don't really have the "disposable cash". Bob's words hit home for me because I had recently lost my dad, who was doing what he loved as much as I do hiking, & had taken an early retirement to do just that!

Don't know for sure if this is where Bob & Pat got the name, but I like the poem regardless:

Where, O Kincora? James Mangan, Dublin Ireland:

O, where, Kincora is Brian the Great?
And where is the beauty that once was thine?
O, where are the princes and nobles that sate
At the feast in the halls and drank the red wine?
Where, O Kincora?

O, where Kincora, are the valorous lords?
O, whither, thou hospitable, are they gone?
O, where are the Dalcassians of the golden swords?
And where are the warriors Brian led on?
Where, O Kincora?

Where are those heroes of royal birth,
Who plundered no churches and broke no trust.
'Tis weary for me to be living on earth
When they, O Kincora, lie low in the dust
Low, O Kincora!

O, never again will princes appear
To rival the Dalcassians of the cleaving swords.
I can never dream of meeting afar or near
In the east or the west such heroes and lords!
Never, Kincora!

For he was Freedom's champion, one of those
The few in number who had not outstept
The charter to chastise which she bestows
On such as wield her weapons.
Forever, Kincora!

jody
02-19-2010, 20:10
Not humor, but I think it fits under the "Bob Peoples stories" heading.
Bob gave me some advice a few years ago, and I am so trying to follow it:
I was saying I wish I could thru hike (or at least section hike more / longer), but didn't have the funds. Bob told me: "Well, my dad & now Pat have taught me to go for it because you don't know how long you have. Go regardless of the money situation, you won't regret it!" about 5 months later Pat passed away. I now hike as often as I can, even if I don't really have the "disposable cash". Bob's words hit home for me because I had recently lost my dad, who was doing what he loved as much as I do hiking, & had taken an early retirement to do just that!

Don't know for sure if this is where Bob & Pat got the name, but I like the poem regardless:

Where, O Kincora? James Mangan, Dublin Ireland:

O, where, Kincora is Brian the Great?
And where is the beauty that once was thine?
O, where are the princes and nobles that sate
At the feast in the halls and drank the red wine?
Where, O Kincora?

O, where Kincora, are the valorous lords?
O, whither, thou hospitable, are they gone?
O, where are the Dalcassians of the golden swords?
And where are the warriors Brian led on?
Where, O Kincora?

Where are those heroes of royal birth,
Who plundered no churches and broke no trust.
'Tis weary for me to be living on earth
When they, O Kincora, lie low in the dust
Low, O Kincora!

O, never again will princes appear
To rival the Dalcassians of the cleaving swords.
I can never dream of meeting afar or near
In the east or the west such heroes and lords!
Never, Kincora!

For he was Freedom's champion, one of those
The few in number who had not outstept
The charter to chastise which she bestows
On such as wield her weapons.
Forever, Kincora!

This poem was about "The Lion of Ireland" Brian Boru The great king of Ireland! His clan were Dalcassians! I love reading about him and thanks for the poem!

AUhiker90
02-19-2010, 20:30
Rancid

Awesome story! Really makes me realize how you can be happier than anyone in the world over the smallest thing.

mweinstone
02-20-2010, 22:29
bob cant tell you what bitchin and winein and complainin are.he lacks exsperience with these things. he sucks at failing and skippin out on responsibilitys and bein a weak link.his weakest suit is giveing up. he simply cant do these things well at all. i know he hates praise. hes praiseophobic if you ask me.yet with all his idiosynchracys, i pray to my very old and powerful god, to make me as much like mr peoples as my crappy little hippy frame of a weakling can hold and be refitted with. and i usualy promise my god that if he'll do this , then i would use my bob peoplelyness to do what bob does,....witch is make winey hippy weaklings like me wanna be slightly less winey and way more hippy bob.cause he is hip as crap you know. xoxooxoxoxooxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxomatthewski