PDA

View Full Version : Good Pack Suggestions?

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 11:40
So, I'll start off by saying that i'm gonna be pretty picky here. So, can anyone tall me where I can find a internal frame 55-75 liter pack (60-65 is optimum) with at least 2 side pockets, hopefully 1 back pocket, and a sleeping bag comparment underneath? price should be below $300... thanks.

toenail
12-18-2009, 11:54
Take a look at a golite quest. It's a 3lb pack that holds 4250cu. in..I've seen them on ebay new for $125. I've also seen GG vapor Trails, 2lb 5oz , 3900cu. in. for the same price. good luck!

scope
12-18-2009, 11:57
So, I'll start off by saying that i'm gonna be pretty picky here. So, can anyone tall me where I can find a internal frame 55-75 liter pack (60-65 is optimum) with at least 2 side pockets, hopefully 1 back pocket, and a sleeping bag comparment underneath? price should be below $300... thanks.

By side pockets, do you mean the typical bottle/etc. holder type pockets, or some sort of zip enclosed pocket for gear?

Check out the Golite Odyssey. I have the Quest which is essentially the same pack but smaller with no sleeping bag compartment. The stretchy side pockets hold a lot, two Nalgene/Camelback bottles easily.

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 12:13
By side pockets, do you mean the typical bottle/etc. holder type pockets, or some sort of zip enclosed pocket for gear?

Check out the Golite Odyssey. I have the Quest which is essentially the same pack but smaller with no sleeping bag compartment. The stretchy side pockets hold a lot, two Nalgene/Camelback bottles easily.
Well, yeah, for holding like snacks or maps and stuff so that I don't have to take the pack off to get a granola bar or cheese.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 12:14
Well, yeah, for holding like snacks or maps and stuff so that I don't have to take the pack off to get a granola bar or cheese.
Might want hip belt pockets for that particular convenience. . . .

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 12:20
well, I have those, but they dont hold much more than a mornings granola or brekfast to go, and they are useful for holding folded up maps and other thing that you dont want bouncing around in your pockets.

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 12:21
also, as a sidenote, I thought you left... twice.

warraghiyagey
12-18-2009, 12:22
also, as a sidenote, I thought you left... twice.
I did. . . I'm not here. . . . .

Mocs123
12-18-2009, 12:25
How much weight are you carrying? The Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus meets your requirements if you are carrying 25lbs or so. If you are carrying more perhaps a ULA Catalyst?

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 12:36
I did. . . I'm not here. . . . .
Ok, Well that makes more sense then.

How much weight are you carrying? The Gossamer Gear Mariposa Plus meets your requirements if you are carrying 25lbs or so. If you are carrying more perhaps a ULA Catalyst?
Well, I haven't gotten all of my gear through the purchase-test-approve cycle yet, but I guesstimate that with food, It'll be about 30-40 pounds (optimistically) Also, I am looking for zipper-close pockets on the sides...

scope
12-18-2009, 12:51
I am looking for zipper-close pockets on the sides...

The Golite packs have the waist belt pockets with zippers. If you're looking for something more substantial side-pocket-wise, would you consider one of the Kelty externals? Would have to go with your bag in a waterproof sack attached underneath the main bag, in lieu of a compartment. Those packs have substantial zippered side pockets in addition to the typical bottle holder pockets.

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 12:57
I would consider it (am considering it) But can you point me to an exact model/range of models?

Jester2000
12-18-2009, 13:04
I like the Atmos 65. It's the size you want. Newly designed side pockets do not zip shut but are accessible while the pack is on, which is not true of many packs (plus the side compression straps can be threaded on the inside of the pocket or the outside, so they can hold small stuff in place or be out of the way for a Nalgene or other large things). On the back (or what Osprey calls the front, for some reason) are two zippered side pockets (NOT accessible while the pack it on), a shovel pocket, and a separate sleeping bag compartment (plus pad straps that are removeable). Also has the pockets on the hipbelt.

Downsides/complaints I've heard:
-- Hipbelt pockets get holes in them (most likely from people dumping their packs on the ground and abraiding the mesh of the pockets)

-- side pocket zippers blow out (most likely from overloading these pockets; they are handy and tend to get overstuffed)

-- hipbelt is part of the pack and so cannot be switched out to a smaller one if you lose a lot of weight while hiking

Retail is $239.00, but it can be found for cheaper. I found this pack to be durable, comfortable, and good for weights from 30-60 pounds.

lazy river road
12-18-2009, 13:06
I bought the Gregory Baltoro 70 a few weeks back. Have only had it out filled with sand bags to test it out. It has everything you are looking for. Front zip pocket and two side zip pockets. Sleeping bag compartment. For a Backpack its a bit heavy (hovering around 6lbs) but the advantages of the heavier pack out weighed the negatives of some of the lighter packs I tried on.

Freek
12-18-2009, 13:13
check out granite gear nimbus meridian just got one for the at for 2010

scope
12-18-2009, 13:28
check out granite gear nimbus meridian just got one for the at for 2010

I also have a Meridian. No side or back pockets, although the straps on the back are handy. Don't think its big enough for you.

As far as what Kelty external model, I don't think they have many, but there is a Trekker model that is around 4000ci and a larger model around 5000. With an external, I would think 4000 would be plenty.

skinewmexico
12-18-2009, 13:33
Most major manufacturers make a coventional pack like that.

Deadeye
12-18-2009, 13:37
check out Osprey Aether series. The 70 fits your criteria, the 60 is my choice, just doesn't have the sleeping bag compartment you're looking for

David@whiteblaze
12-18-2009, 14:07
I think I'm gonna look at the Kelty Trekker 3950 pack, but all the suggestions are appreciated (more will still be evaluated)

DanaMac
12-19-2009, 11:47
Aarn Effortless Rhythm comes in a Short (65L) and Long (70L), has the separate sleeping bag compartment, and is $275. It really does not have the side pockets, but if you add the front pockets ($52-$68 depending on size) then you can access everything you need - water, food, maps, camera, rain gear, sunscreen, etc. With the pockets it does come in a little over your $300 budget though. But it is also water proof, so no need to buy an extra rain cover.

Tuckahoe
12-19-2009, 13:06
I think I'm gonna look at the Kelty Trekker 3950 pack, but all the suggestions are appreciated (more will still be evaluated)

I switched from a North Face Terra 60 to the Trekker 3950. Very pleased with it.

schnikel
12-19-2009, 18:04
Another idea might be a Lowe Alpine 65. I have one and like it for longer hikes. It weighs in around 5.5 I think, a little heavy.

It does have a separate zipper sleeping bag compartment as well as two zippered "lung" pockets right above the mesh pockets for your water bottles. These mesh pockets are not zippered however.

Tinker
12-19-2009, 18:21
I've switched from a pack with pockets and zippers to a basic frameless bucket with straps and a hipbelt (Golite Dawn). In the large size it was large enough to get me through 9 days without resupply last year. It's discontinued, but a similar pack is made by Fanatic Fringe (as well as lightweight synthetic sleeping quilts). I met a guy at Katahdin who had one and sort of complained that it was just about done but that it had held up for his thru. For under a pound and less than $100.00, made in the USA, I plan on buying one if my Dawn ever wears out. Note: both my Dawn and the FF packs require the use of a closed cell foam pad (which I don't use for sleeping often as I hammock). I do tend to use it often as a sit pad on cold days and occasionally as a "doormat" when I take off my shoes before bed.

Wags
12-19-2009, 23:00
osprey exos 58. i like mine.

Hooch
12-22-2009, 09:09
IMO, go with a ULA Catalyst or Circuit. The Catalyst is the best pack I ever carried. And don't sweat the lack of a sleeping bag compartment, it's just another thing to break and/or add weight to the pack.

Raul Perez
12-25-2009, 14:57

Aside from not having a sleeping bag compartment I would recommend the REI Flash 65. Weighs a little over 3lbs and has all your other requirements. Packed it out for a winter day hike with 26.6lbs and it handled it very well.

Price is around $180 I believe. Very well made.