PDA

View Full Version : Snow!!

Cedar Tree
12-18-2009, 16:49
We are getting socked here in Marion, VA. Being originally from Mississippi, I have never seen anything like this. It didn't start until after noon, and it is now almost 4:00 pm and I would say about 5-6 so far. My wife and I were lucky to get home. Loaded up at the grocery store and now enjoying the fire while watching the snow fall. They are calling for 1-2 feet in the mountains. Hope everyone is safe, and someplace warm.
Cedar Tree

Two Tents
12-18-2009, 17:00
Put another log on the fire and enjoy it! Happy holidays to you and your family!

Chaco Taco
12-18-2009, 17:02
Getting about an inch every hour or so. Got about 7 inches so far and it doesnt look like its gonna stop anytime soon. Fridge is full of beer, Capt Morgans, Some of NC's finest, snacks, junk. Bring on the snow. Updated forecast is saying 14 inches in Asheville

Pickleodeon
12-18-2009, 17:03
It's supposed to start early tomorrow morning in PA!! 3-6 inches they say. Oh, I wish I had cross country skiis!!!!

mountain squid
12-18-2009, 17:05
The snow storm has hit NE TN...http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-happy057.gif...wouldn't want to be on Roan tonight....brrrrrrr

Only got about an inch so far.

See you on the trail,
mt squid

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 17:25
It's supposed to start early tomorrow morning in PA!! 3-6 inches they say. Oh, I wish I had cross country skiis!!!!

I heard 10-12 inches. 3 inches in the early morning, the 7+ inches more later in the day!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

drifters quest
12-18-2009, 17:27
I'm jealous, all we have here in Spokane, WA is fog.

canoehead
12-18-2009, 17:28
Enjoy. But if it gets real heavy and deep ya might wanna think about shoveling off the roof. Do it all the time here.

emerald
12-18-2009, 17:30
It's supposed to start early tomorrow morning in PA!! 3-6 inches they say.

I heard 10-12 inches--3 inches in the early morning; 7+ inches more later in the day!

http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-bounce017.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys.php)

Guess that means I'd better get back to work.:welcome

harryfred
12-18-2009, 17:33
I guess it is little late to think about fixing the 4WD on the Tracker. I got food, beer, whiskey, and fire wood. Bring it on.

juma
12-18-2009, 17:48
I wonder where 10-K is?? I' pretty sure he didn't get to the DWG yet. Hope he hears about the weather and gets off....

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 17:55
Shouldn't be too bad if he gets past Wolf Rocks before the snow, but Wolf rocks in snow could be a real beast... (No idea who 10-K is)

veteran
12-18-2009, 18:04
The Weather Channel said DC could get over 1 foot, won't that be a mess.
They only have 1 snowplow and that's broke. I guess they will have to close down the Government. :D

woodsy
12-18-2009, 18:08
I guess it is little late to think about fixing the 4WD on the Tracker. I got food, beer, whiskey, and fire wood. Bring it on.

Sounds like you're good to go, relax and enjoy the storm !:sun

Scruffy
12-18-2009, 18:33
I am in Maryville,TN and snow is all around but all we are getting is rain. I call upon the snow Gods to make the rain in Maryville turn to snow

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-18-2009, 18:36
Got a good 5 inches here in the foothills of NC and I love it, LET IT SNOW. I got cold beer and a steak to throw on the grille shortly so let it rip.:banana

Tuckahoe
12-18-2009, 18:39
Nothing here, though weather reports says we're supposed to get snow. I'm not holding my breath.

On the other hand, I have the radiator turned up to 85 and a small pot of water for humidity. Who says you cant enjoy August year around?

TD55
12-18-2009, 18:41
Hope nobody gets snowed in without................BACON!!!!!

JokerJersey
12-18-2009, 18:41
Updated forecast is calling for 8-14" along the I-95 corridor in DE, PA, and NJ, with 4-7" to the NW and along the Shore. I have no worries though, as I have a giant bottle of snow cure (ie. Irish Whiskey) waiting right here next to me. :D

Cookerhiker
12-18-2009, 18:43
The Weather Channel said DC could get over 1 foot, won't that be a mess.
They only have 1 snowplow and that's broke. I guess they will have to close down the Government. :D

Whatcha getting in Garrett County?

harryfred
12-18-2009, 18:48
Hope nobody gets snowed in without................BACON!!!!!
Yep, got at least five lbs.:banana

Tuckahoe
12-18-2009, 19:13
well what do ya know... just looked out the door and it's been snowing long enough that its accumulating

Daydream Believer
12-18-2009, 19:41
Not much but miserable ice cold rain and wind here in SE Virginia. I'd prefer snow actually. We may get a little tomorrow afternoon before it moves out but not much.

Blissful
12-18-2009, 19:50
We're now in the bullseye here near Swift Run gap area in SNP to top two feet. If that happens, it will be the biggest I have seen since coming to live here 22 years ago.

Chaco Taco
12-18-2009, 20:00
Got about 10-12 inches. 500 reported accidents in Asheville. Lotta kids out building snowmen and snowball fights.

Sly
12-18-2009, 20:06
I heard 10-12 inches. 3 inches in the early morning, the 7+ inches more later in the day!

Ah, this a joke in there someplace. :D

modiyooch
12-18-2009, 20:06
Hope nobody gets snowed in without................BACON!!!!!Let me know if you get snow, please. We'll be there in a week.

We are getting decent snow!!! It's beautiful. Someone told me it's been 13 years since the last big storm here in the foothills of western NC. We have over 5 inches and it's still snowing.

saimyoji
12-18-2009, 20:17

pervert. :D

veteran
12-18-2009, 20:37
Whatcha getting in Garrett County?

Garrett College Weather Station (http://www.garrettcollege.edu/weather/)

National Weather Service (http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?CityName=Mc+Henry&state=MD&site=PBZ&textField1=39.55&textField2=-79.35&e=0)

full conditions
12-18-2009, 21:23
Its beggining to taper off here in Cullowhee - I imagine that the high country got a bunch of snow today. I would of gone hiking but really didn't want to get on the roads just yet.

Chaco Taco
12-18-2009, 21:43
Its beggining to taper off here in Cullowhee - I imagine that the high country got a bunch of snow today. I would of gone hiking but really didn't want to get on the roads just yet.

Get ready more is on the way

full conditions
12-18-2009, 22:14
Yikes! One nice thing about being a hiker is having lots of crap on hand to deal with being snowed in for a few days and power outages.

SmokyMtn Hiker
12-18-2009, 22:30
Got a good 5 inches here in the foothills of NC and I love it, LET IT SNOW. I got cold beer and a steak to throw on the grille shortly so let it rip.:banana

I would like to recall this last statement and say we got a good 10 - 12 inches on the ground now, been out playing in it and having a blast.

dmax
12-18-2009, 22:44
Same here about 10-12 inches and still coming down in Erwin. The lights are flickering and I'm off to look for candles and my propane heater.

Tuckahoe
12-18-2009, 22:55
Just took a picture out the door. Here is out snow in Williamsburg --
http://i210.photobucket.com/albums/bb77/Tuckahoe64/DecemberSnow001.jpg

Cookerhiker
12-18-2009, 23:14
Yikes! One nice thing about being a hiker is having lots of crap on hand to deal with being snowed in for a few days and power outages.

Such as a cookstove and a coffee percolator. I brewed some one day several years ago and was a big hit with the neighbors.

Man I'm jealous. We're lucky if we get 2" tonight in the Bluegrass.

full conditions
12-18-2009, 23:25
Such as a cookstove and a coffee percolator. I brewed some one day several years ago and was a big hit with the neighbors.

Man I'm jealous. We're lucky if we get 2" tonight in the Bluegrass.
Not to mention a couple of warm sleeping bags.

Cabin Fever
12-18-2009, 23:46
Not to mention a couple of warm sleeping bags.

3 headlamps, Coleman stove, down booties. If the power was to go out for an extended period of time, I would have no problem spending it with backpackers.

9" in my front yard and still coming down. Had to go rescue friends from gridlock on I-26 because an 18 wheeler jack knifed and blocked everything.

Chicken Feathers
12-19-2009, 00:04
sounds like Global warming to me. Wonder what Al Gore thinks about all this warming? :-?

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 01:01
Please keep the politcs off WB, every time anyone mentions snow, people bring up politcs and Al Gore, etc... PLEASE don't.

I just like talking about snow :D .

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 01:03

Jeez! [raises eyebrow]

harryfred
12-19-2009, 01:16
Just started to lightly snow here in SC PA. Daughter just got home. Every body is home and safe. :sun

double d
12-19-2009, 02:35
Hang tough everyone and make sure your hiking gear is ready to go, you might need it to "resupply" if you get enough snow!!!!

jody
12-19-2009, 02:42
I envy you all, my home is in west TN but my husband and I are just north of Mobile AL on a job and it has rained here so much Im bout to go bat crazy! I was born and raised in Chicago and I remember well the big snow of '67!! It shut most of the city down but my father and uncle plowed thru in my uncles 225 electra buick and made it to work every day even tho there was 3 ft snow drifts!! I love snow! There is nothing like being warm inside with a glowing fire and a pot of something good simmering on the stove!!

Hoop Time
12-19-2009, 03:04
Snow began to fall on the Cumberland Valley around 1 am. Forecast is 8-12 inches. More towards Philly.

Storm
12-19-2009, 03:08
I'm going to be in N.C in a couple of weeks. I'll expect all the snow to gone. I'm bringing both my hiking gear and my golf clubs. Can't lose with that combination.

MudDuck
12-19-2009, 08:49
Been a long time since I've been on here and checking to see what every one got snow wise,,,We got about 16 inches here in the corner of Tn Va NC..Gassin up the 4x4 and hitting the trail...What did yall get up there in big D Lone Wolf?

Toolshed
12-19-2009, 09:18
SEPA - Bethlehem, near Wind Gap. Only a dusting - can't even see it after it falls - started at 8:00 AM.

moytoy
12-19-2009, 09:32
All this snow talk reminds me I have to cut the grass today!

sasquatch2014
12-19-2009, 09:37
Nothing up here in NY yet they are saying sometime this afternoon. More down to the city than up north where I am. It figures I have a party job to do to make some extra holiday cash and it will either be cancelled and i make no money or i will get the job done and then be stuck in the mess of the storm trying to get home. Last weekend one of the other vans got stuck on the side of the road during our freezing rain incident and waited 4 hrs for a sand truck to come by before they could move.

Yep rather be hiking in it. That is the good news when I am home tonight plan to take the dog for a good long walk in the storm. that is my favorite get out there when the weather is at it's worst make you feel so alive. Hank likes it too because when he gets home he runs up and jumps on the bed and gets tons of snuggles from my wife who thinks I am nuts and that Hank just has to suffer through my stupidity. I just get disparaging looks, I'd like snuggles too. :(

Tinker
12-19-2009, 09:52
The word "blizzard" (or "blizzid") as we call them in RI came up on the local weather this morning. We still remember the one in 1978. Our car got stuck on a sidestreet on the way to the market the next day. I'm staying put this time. Snow tires are on the car already so I'm ready. I'll have to check my section of the North-South Trail in RI after the event.

nitewalker
12-19-2009, 10:11
The word "blizzard" (or "blizzid") as we call them in RI came up on the local weather this morning. We still remember the one in 1978. Our car got stuck on a sidestreet on the way to the market the next day. I'm staying put this time. Snow tires are on the car already so I'm ready. I'll have to check my section of the North-South Trail in RI after the event.

now that was a snowstorm for the ages. we got hit with 44inches of snow in burriville RI back then. i was ten yrs old and the snow was over my head . i remember walking down the middle of the road thru two foot wide shoveled paths. we were stuck in our mobile home park for almost a week before we got plowed out. neighbor broke her leg and needed snowmobile evacuation during the height of the storm. we will never see that again..

we are supposed to get 9 inches or so thru today and tonight. i was supposed to leave for florida today but i am not driving a ford mustang thru that stuff. had i left i would be stuck somewhere around baltimore, im sure.....

tink, what section of the NST do you cover? i just hiked the trail twice in the last 5 weeks..very well maintained thru the whole trail...

peace to all and stay safe!!!!:D:D

Wags
12-19-2009, 10:47
yesssssssss. we are going to get blasted! worse toward philly

double d
12-19-2009, 10:49
I envy you all, my home is in west TN but my husband and I are just north of Mobile AL on a job and it has rained here so much Im bout to go bat crazy! I was born and raised in Chicago and I remember well the big snow of '67!! It shut most of the city down but my father and uncle plowed thru in my uncles 225 electra buick and made it to work every day even tho there was 3 ft snow drifts!! I love snow! There is nothing like being warm inside with a glowing fire and a pot of something good simmering on the stove!!
Jody, my mother still to this day talks about the snow of '67 in Chicago!
Worst snow strom I was ever in was in March, 2003 in Colorado (Fort Collins) when we got over 30 inches of snow in only 24 hours and I'm not kidding!!!!:eek::eek:

double d
12-19-2009, 10:50
With all this snow out East, I got a feeling that a lot of new "hikers" are going to be born in about nine months from now!

emerald
12-19-2009, 10:55
SEPA - Bethlehem, near Wind Gap. Only a dusting - can't even see it after it falls - started at 8:00 AM.

Lower Heidelberg Township, PA (< 20 miles as the crow flies from PA 501, PA 183 and Port Clinton) - 2 inches and showing no sign of letting up!

modiyooch
12-19-2009, 11:11
I remember this one. The whole state of DE was at a standstill. I went outside to walk up the street to check on a family member, and got disoriented in the blizzard conditions. I got way off track. Didn't know where I was until I literally bumped into some houses.

modiyooch
12-19-2009, 11:18
Yikes! One nice thing about being a hiker is having lots of crap on hand to deal with being snowed in for a few days and power outages.Yep, and we also heat by wood, so we are good to go. Ran 7 miles during the snow yesterday. Getting ready to walk to a friends house for a visit today. A good snow storm tends to slow people down dramatically, and lends itself to some good times spent with each other.

harryfred
12-19-2009, 11:38
Looks like four or five inches on the drive way, Here in Shippensburg (mm29 on I-81) and still coming down steady.
Oldest boy left for Winchester VA @6:00 to bring a rig back.
Have to dig the Tracker out to get my daughter to work.
I literally have neighbors lining up to have me fix their snow blowers.
So much for just kicking back and enjoying the storm.

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 12:19

Love main street Bethlehem- I was there yesterday at the bookshop and McCarthy's tea room. (Same Bethlehem, I assume?)

I bet you'll get more snow soon!

Toolshed
12-19-2009, 12:33
Love main street Bethlehem- I was there yesterday at the bookshop and McCarthy's tea room. (Same Bethlehem, I assume?)

I bet you'll get more snow soon!
Yes Same Bethlehem. I never get there though, as I work in Bridgewater NJ, so I head East Every morning.....

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 12:40
Bridgewater (wrinkles nose)- I drive almost to Bridgewater twice a week, for a class I was taking at the community college. Thank goodness I'm not driving there tomorrow... in the SNOW! Love snow.

hammer
12-19-2009, 12:47
I have a friend finishing the last 50 miles of a SOBO. What are the conditions in North GA?

harryfred
12-19-2009, 13:32
7" now in Shippensburg, and still coming down steady. Drive shoveled off. Daughter doesn't have to go to work. Three snow blowers running ( after I SHOVELED my drive off). Haven't heard from my boy. Can anyone tell me what it is like in Winchester VA.

harryfred
12-19-2009, 13:36
Anybody have any good tales of being "caught, on a trail in conditons simalr to this?"

dovecote
12-19-2009, 22:35
22 inches of the white stuff reported in Harpers Ferry by a DC tv station around 7:00 this evening. At my place it is every bit of 22 inches. Front Royal was reported to received 20 inches. It finally stopped snowing here in HF around 9:00 PM.

teachergal
12-19-2009, 22:44
In Woodbridge, VA (about 20 miles S of DC along I-95) I have 2 feet!!!! 24 inches!!!! I went out twice with my new snowshoes - it's so powdery that the snowshoes didn't help much, but it's really pretty!!!! :-) Can't wait to play more tomorrow!
Roads are a mess!

Darwin again
12-19-2009, 23:13
Twenty-one inches on the ground in Crozet, Va., six miles east of the southern entrance of Shenandoah National Park. I'm sure the AT got FEET of snow up on the Blue Ridge.

Just beautiful snow -- a great Christmas gift for the kids, young and old.
Fantastic.

The Solemates
12-19-2009, 23:14
Anybody have any good tales of being "caught, on a trail in conditons simalr to this?"

we started 1 feb 2004, the "snow year". we had 3 big storms that dumped on us just like this one. one storm dumped 14 inches overnight. great times.

cant wait to head out to the smokies just after christmas to take a walk in this stuff...but it may be gone by then:(

Bulldawg
12-19-2009, 23:25
I have a friend finishing the last 50 miles of a SOBO. What are the conditions in North GA?

I couldn't see any snow on any of the mountains when I was out late this afternoon. I can see MOST of the AT from just near my house. And like I said, they all looked to be clear from what I could see, at least from about Kelly Knob south.

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 11:24
We got about a foot up here. STILL SNOWING RIGHT NOW. Got another inch overnight

atraildreamer
12-20-2009, 11:25
now that was a snowstorm for the ages. we got hit with 44inches of snow in burriville RI back then. i was ten yrs old and the snow was over my head . i remember walking down the middle of the road thru two foot wide shoveled paths. we were stuck in our mobile home park for almost a week before we got plowed out. neighbor broke her leg and needed snowmobile evacuation during the height of the storm. we will never see that again..

we are supposed to get 9 inches or so thru today and tonight. i was supposed to leave for florida today but i am not driving a ford mustang thru that stuff. had i left i would be stuck somewhere around baltimore, im sure.....

How a RI resident feels about snow (Most applicable to those who went through the "Blizzard of '78 "):

1. 3 days prior...first forecast of snow for the season...weather people try to downplay the approaching storm..slight anxiety develops.

2. 2 days prior...anxiety level rises...people start making plans to stay home (OH NO-o-o-o-o stuck at home with the brats! :eek:) Every weather reporter presents at least 3 different forecasts ranging from "don't worry about it" ;)to "WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE!" :eek:

All local weather reporters take their "outdoorsy" winter outfits out of storage to be ready to tape their "what is that d%&* fool doing standing in a howling snowstorm trying to sound intelligent?" TV spots.:confused:

All bars arrange to be plowed out so their regulars have a place of refuge to flee to, away from the wife and kids. :rolleyes:

Mothers face being stuck at home with the brats while dad is at the above-mentioned bar!:mad:

3. Day before the storm...high state of panic envelops state...general run on the stores...all milk, bread, liquor, junk food totally sold out. All good videos rented out. People hunker down expecting the worst!:o

4. Day of the storm...snow falls...plows clear roads...videos not watched as parents, kids and family dog romp in snow...people are calm and happy...RI survives.:clap

5. 2nd storm of season is forecast...Rhode Islanders say: "screw it..let it snow!":D
--------------
12 inches of snow in the driveway...still coming down, but abating.

sasquatch2014
12-20-2009, 13:15
We were to get 7 - 10 inches we might have gotten 2 if that. I feel cheated!!!!

vonfrick
12-20-2009, 13:45
http://icanhascheezburger.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/funny-pictures-cat-cannot-feel-his-butt.jpg

buz
12-20-2009, 14:35
Man, the blizzard of '78. college sophomore in Bowling Green State (Ohio)that was pretty close to center of storm. We lived in small frat house right across street from 8 story library. During the height of the snow, we could not see the library, for like 5 hours. It started by epic raining, then snow, then brutal cold, freezing all the rain and snow about 3-5 inches on the roads. Water mains burst, the college lost water pressure for about 3 days. Needless to say the dorm johns were full, lol. Our little house had some water pressure, so we weren't in that situation.

The best memory is that when the storm ended, we walked out to I 75, to a standard freeway overpass, that faced east/west over the highway. Jumped off it right onto the highway, was about a 3 foot drop. We missed school thursday friday, monday and tuesday. Epic.

sofaking
12-20-2009, 14:42
=721]http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/6/8/2/3/snow_021_thumb.jpg[/url]
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/6/8/2/3/snow_014_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38529&c=721)

buff_jeff
12-20-2009, 14:50
We got about 15 or 16" outside Philly. Apparently the airport got 23". Gonna hit the slopes in a few days here. :banana

mudhead
12-20-2009, 16:09
All those little kids on the Weather Channel wishing for a white Christmas are happy. You southern types wax your shovels? You have shovels?

ki0eh
12-20-2009, 19:50
Pretty day for XC skiing in SGL 246. Probably the nicest snow I've seen in lower Dauphin County. Sure never got skiable snow there before. Left the parking area just as some mook was about to use it to do donuts.

modiyooch
12-20-2009, 21:10
All those little kids on the Weather Channel wishing for a white Christmas are happy. You southern types wax your shovels? You have shovels? no, we wait til it snows, then we all get out on the roads and travel to the stores for sleds, shovels, boots, generators......
Seriously, our local news story was about the number of sleds the hardware store sold on saturday.

dovecote
12-20-2009, 22:45
Here are a few pictures taken around Harpers Ferry today. The entire downtown was closed with the exception of The Outfitter.

Cookerhiker
12-20-2009, 23:12
Looks beautiful - wish we had some here.

Blissful
12-20-2009, 23:35
We ended up with 2 feet - 10 miles from Swift Run Gap, SNP.

JokerJersey
12-21-2009, 09:51
We wound up with about 16 inchs or so here, though it felt more like 6 feet when I was digging our cars out of the gigantic drift the plow made behind us. :mad:

Still really pretty though, at least for another day or two when all the exhaust turns it grey. :rolleyes:

Tinker
12-21-2009, 10:15
We got 15+ inches here and I stayed at the church to shovel it out before services (just an excuse to use my sleeping bag :D).
Unfortunately we don't have any mountains or I'd go skiing. We do have beautiful Yagoo Valley Ski Area but I'm totally broke and can't justify the price of a lift ticket, so no skiing for me yet.

sixhusbands
12-21-2009, 10:19
It is nice to see some of the country getting what we get every winter in Upstate New York. It makes national news when you all get a foot or more and that is cool because now you know why we love winter so much up here. Check out the attached pix of what we get every year!

sherrill
12-21-2009, 10:27
All those little kids on the Weather Channel wishing for a white Christmas are happy. You southern types wax your shovels? You have shovels?

If I have to ask why do you wax your shovel, does that answer your question? :D

brocken spectre
12-21-2009, 12:26
Finally...snow!

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs004.snc3/11146_224260567368_810657368_3085528_6011217_n.jpg (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=3085526&id=810657368)

horicon
12-21-2009, 12:43
Traces of snow in Stone Ridge, NY(Ulster County). Almost a non event.

mudhead
12-21-2009, 15:15
If I have to ask why do you wax your shovel, does that answer your question? :D

Silicone spray works, too. I have been using Mop&Glo this year.

You thought I was joking. :D Works great.

Graywolf
12-21-2009, 15:32
66* here in Texas...:(:( I WANT SNOW:(:(

Oh by the way, yes, I do have a shovel, but I don't wax it (why??) I use for the garden...

Graywolf

warraghiyagey
12-21-2009, 15:39

Oh by the way, yes, I do have a shovel, but I don't wax it (why??) I use for the garden...

Graywolf
You must have some amazingly soft soil to use a snow shovel in your garden. . . .

chrisoc
12-21-2009, 17:51
We got about 6 inches at the jersey shore.

http://i418.photobucket.com/albums/pp269/chrisoc_2008/100_0861.jpg

Cookerhiker
12-21-2009, 19:54
Twenty-one inches on the ground in Crozet, Va., six miles east of the southern entrance of Shenandoah National Park. I'm sure the AT got FEET of snow up on the Blue Ridge.

Just beautiful snow -- a great Christmas gift for the kids, young and old.
Fantastic.

We ended up with 2 feet - 10 miles from Swift Run Gap, SNP.

Your region takes the prize - per today's New York Times:

"The heaviest snowfall was in Wintergreen, Va., which had 30 inches."

takethisbread
12-21-2009, 20:04
18 inches here. It made for some strenuous hiking, but enjoyable. Good testing for my boots, gloves, layers.

JoshStover
12-21-2009, 20:08
We got about 20 inches at my place and I hiked 2.5 miles in it. I think that was one of my harder hikes. It takes alot out of you when postholin in the much snow..

atraildreamer
12-21-2009, 21:06

In 1978, 3 weeks before the big blizzard, I was driving down Rt. 95 to Florida, through a snowstorm in Maryland and I LMAO when I heard a news report that Dallas had been paralyzed by 1/4 inch snowfall! :eek: :D

modiyooch
12-21-2009, 23:09
All those little kids on the Weather Channel wishing for a white Christmas are happy. You southern types wax your shovels? You have shovels?It's my understanding that our town is all out of snow shovels.

mudhead
12-22-2009, 06:03
It's my understanding that our town is all out of snow shovels.

That can happen here after a really big one, or a really heavy one. This last 6" you could have just kicked away and driven on with front wheel drive.

Weary angered the weather gods for sure. Same dang storm decided to back up and have another shot at us. Course he lives far enough south,(suburb of Boston:)) that he won't get much.

It might have been me being smug about 6", but I'd rather blame it on Weary.

You guys in the south don't forget all that melting snow can freeze up overnight.

Merry Christmas.

Happy Holidays.

YeeHaw.

AzWildflower
12-22-2009, 15:31
With all of this snow, does this mean that most of the springs on the AT will be happy and bubbling late spring and summer 2010? :sun

modiyooch
12-22-2009, 19:44
It's melting................

mudhead
12-22-2009, 20:07
"Oh what a world, what a world!"

sasquatch2014
12-22-2009, 20:25
Wish we had snow from the storm. The AT near Pawling maybe got an inch or two and that is it but the temps have remained below freezing so it's not going anywhere until the rain /sleet expected on xmas day.

Spogatz
12-23-2009, 00:38
When I was small we would make snowballs from the storm and keep them in the freezer inside of a ziplock bag. Seems kinda stupid now...

modiyooch
12-23-2009, 08:42
When I was small we would make snowballs from the storm and keep them in the freezer inside of a ziplock bag. Seems kinda stupid now...probably, 'cause it sounds like iceballs to me. We actually have a device that makes the snowballs. It looks like tongs.

sasquatch2014
12-23-2009, 11:11
probably, 'cause it sounds like iceballs to me. We actually have a device that makes the snowballs. It looks like tongs.

We had a good snowball fight the storm before this one with the kids. You can really get some force behind them when you use a lacrosse stick to throw them.