PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Bagging the Black Mountain Sixers?

Lucinda
09-01-2004, 21:26
I've got Ron Tagliapietra's book on bagging the Southern Sixers and was thinking about doing some bagging this weekend. (My partner and I were thinking about tyring Linville Gorge, but if the weather's too rainy we'd rather be traversing mountains than trying river crossings...).

We'd like to bag the ten peaks in the Black Mountains, from Celo Knob to Blackstock Knob. What's the best route to take (i.e. shortest, but still within the guidelines of "proper" bagging...we don't want to cheat!!)? Where's the best place to park? We see several loop options, but we're looking for suggestions.

Also, which maps do you recommend? The book is not too bad with its directions, but the maps are very sketchy and I always like to take along a topo map or a NFS map.

Thanks!

NotYet
09-01-2004, 23:49
The Pisgah National Forest Service, Appalachian Ranger District has a new map of the area, and it is excellent! The map is titled "South Toe River, Mount Mitchell & Big Ivy Trail Maps." Unfortunately, Blackstock Knob is on one side of the map and the map makers decided to leave off 1.3 miles (around Potato Knob) between the two maps, so you might want to get USGS maps as well...I think the Montreat and Mount Mitchell quadrants cover the area.

The Black Mountain Crest Trail is a very rugged trail. It goes over the summits of many of the peaks but not all of them. For those few, you'd have to go off-trail if you felt you had to reach the top, which I haven't done on these peaks, so I don't have any practical advice. The trail up Mitchell is a short gradual path from the parking area. I haven't been to the top of Mount Gibbes, Clingman's Peak or Potato Knob which are SW of Mitchell along the ridge, but there's a gravel road that goes to the radio tower's on Clingman's Peak. I think that much of these 3 mountains are on private land. The maps show no trails that go to the top of these (except that gravel road), but I believe that one that goes near the summit of Potato Knob shows up on the USGS map. I think you can access this one from the MST: south/west of NC 128 on the MST you reach a boundary/old fence line between the FS land and the Parkway land. I think the trail follows this fence line. Like I said, I haven't checked it out myself, so look at your maps carefully if you want to try it out! The MST takes you over Blackstock Knob. If you want, you can continue the ridge by taking Big Butt Trail north at Balsam Gap and ending at NC 197 (but if your goal is 6000ft, I think these peaks are all below that height).

Have a good hike where ever you decide to go this weekend...and I hope you don't get too much rain!!!!

NotYet
09-02-2004, 09:54
Hi Lucinda,

I just looked up the USGS maps for the area. The Potato Knob area that was left off of the Forest Service map that I mentioned is covered on the USGS Montreat quad. The Black Mountain Crest Trail is found on the Mount Mitchell and Celo quads. The route on the Forest Service map is slightly different than on the USGS maps. I'd trust the newer Forest Service map...the part from Mitchell to Deep Gap is very accurate (I don't know about the rest, because I haven't done that part of the trail in many, many years!).

p.s. Good idea to stay out of the Gorge in heavy rains! One of the scariest experiences of my life was crossing the Linville River after it had rained the day before!!!!

gravityman
09-02-2004, 10:14
We'd like to bag the ten peaks in the Black Mountains, from Celo Knob to Blackstock Knob. What's the best route to take (i.e. shortest, but still within the guidelines of "proper" bagging...we don't want to cheat!!)? Where's the best place to park? We see several loop options, but we're looking for suggestions.

Don't want to cheat? That's funny! You are going to have a hard time having someone else define what a successful summit is. Hardnosers out here in colorado claim that you need to climb at least 3,000 feet up each peak to bag it. Since seperate peaks for the 14ers are defined as having at least 300 ft drop between them (another arbitrary rule), that means you need to add 2700 feet down and back up to bag the peak by their standard. What do most people think? As long as I stand on top, that's all that counts, even if I drove there. I'll go by the 300 ft rule. I don't want to have to try to hit every little bump on every ridge over 14k.

You will have to define success for yourself. Personal, the first round is as long as I stand on top. If I feel that I was cheated, then I can go back and get those peaks that I didn't feel I bagged "without cheating" although I seriously doubt I ever will.

Gravity Man

Lucinda
09-02-2004, 18:24
NotYet,

Thanks for all the great information.

I am still trying to hunt down a good map...REI didn't have one here in Atlanta, so I'll try Topozone or hope that the Mt. Mitchell Park office has a good one.

I was thinking that we'd do a big loop. Start at Mt. Mitchell, go up to Celo Knob (probably camp out there one night); head west on trails and roads over to Pensacola on NC 197 and then over to Cane River Gap and head down a small trail that looks like it goes to Balsam Gap from NC 197 (not sure if it's the MST trail); camp out somewhere there on day two; on the last day, head over Blackstock Knob and then along MST and up the road back to Mt. Mitchell. It looks like a loop of about 18 miles or so. I don't really like road walking, but what can you do??

Any idea if this route is feasible and whether we should go clockwise or counterclockwise? Also, what's the water availability like up there?

THanks,
Lucinda

NotYet
09-02-2004, 20:20
Hi Lucinda,

I think that the loop you're proposing is more like 34+ miles (though I'm not familiar with the network of trails in the Cane River drainage area, you'd probably have to be on the road a lot to avoid private land...also, many old trails that show up on USGS maps no longer really exist so places you might be considering could really be more like bushwacking...SLOW).

The Black Mountain Crest Trail is maintained and is approximately 12 miles long (and very strenuous). The trail that you mention that goes between NC 197 and Balsam Gap is also a good trail. It's called Big Butt Trail and is 5.6 miles long. The MST from Balsam Gap to Mt. Mitchell goes over Blackstock Knob and is approximately 10 miles long. These three trails total almost 28 miles but don't create a loop.

You might consider setting yourself a shuttle to do any portion of these trails, or the entire thing.

You could do a loop that takes in a few of the peaks by doing the following: Park at/near Carolina Hemlocks Campground. Hike up Colbert Ridge Trail (which starts near but not in the campground) to Deep Gap (Spring located there). You could explore both directions on the Blk Mtn Crest Trail, but backpack S toward Mt. Mitchell. Then head down the Buncombe Horse Range Trail via either Big Tom Gap Tr (pretty overgrown a few weeks ago) or the MST from the top of Mitchell. Camping is not allowed along the crest in Mt Mitchell State Park, but once you get down to the B. Horse Range Tr you're out of the park...Commisary Hill has water nearby and good camping & BEWARE: lots of bear. The Buncombe Horse Range Tr is an old logging RR and it ends near where you parked for a short road walk. Unfortunately this loop isn't really about bagging lots of peaks, but it is possible to cover quite a few of them!

The new Forest Service Map and all the USGS quadrants that I mentioned earlier can be purchased at Outdoor Paths Map Store near the corner of Hwy 9 (Montreat Rd) & Hwy 70 (W. State St.) in Black Mountain. Black Mountain is about 15 miles east of Asheville on I-40 (www.OutdoorPaths.com). There are many other outdoor stores in Asheville that probably carry them, too: Black Dome, Mast General, Diamond Brand. I'd get the maps prior to arriving at the Park or at least call ahead to make sure they've got them!

Good Luck!

NotYet
09-02-2004, 20:29
The MST leaves Mt. Mitchell two ways...the one that goes down to the SE is a beautiful, well-graded trail will take you down Commissary Ridge to the campsite I mentioned. The MST that goes SSW goes down more steeply to Camp Alice (no camping here...still in the state park!).

Lucinda
09-02-2004, 21:38
Thanks again for the advice, NotYet. It looks like we shouldn't bother with the loop configuration. Your route makes much more sense. I've got to get my hands on some good maps!!

Happy Trails!

-Lucinda

Sly
09-03-2004, 18:47
I did the trail last fall and it's awesome, scenic and well worth the effort. Start at Mt Mitchell and head north 12 miles!

The first part of the trail to Deep Gap (a good place to camp) is well marked with blazes and signage, the next 5 miles needs a little maintenance and needs to be brushed, is more like hiking is a wilderness area, but basically continues to follow the crest, the last 3 miles switchbacks down on an abandoned forest service road to Bowlins Creek. You can leave nearby.

I didn't think it was all that tough, but I had just finished the Long Trail.

For more info, ask away, email me, try the Falcon guide for NC, Trails.com or Allen DeHarts North Carolina Hiking Trails

shades of blue
09-03-2004, 22:28
Lucinda
I don't know how familiar you are with the linville gorge wilderness, but there are some great mountain/ridge hikes also. The eastern rim of the wilderness has Hawksbill Mt. (which is one of my favorite mountains). It also has the mountain to sea trail from table rock to short off mountain. You can hike a shorter distance up short off from morganton, nc at wolf pit road. Short off is similar to tinker cliffs in Va, except the view is either of lake james in the south, or the linville gorge to the west...you don't have civilization in view. You can hike on the western rim down to the river from many side trails. There are good camping spots in the gorge, but you need a free permit to camp overnight in the gorge. No permit is needed on the ridge line. Linville Gorge is definately a great place to explore, but the linville gorge trail is poorly marked, a compass and map is needed.
Anyway....if you decide to go there, I'd be happy to advise more.