PDA

View Full Version : i pods on the trail?

climber2377
12-18-2009, 21:23
not sure which i pod to buy if i buy one at all. i was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on which to get or share their experiences with one on the trail. thanks.

Lyle
12-18-2009, 21:42
I haven't carried one, but if I did, it would be something that used AA batteries and had an FM Radio built in. Most, except Ipods, do.

Years ago, when I did my long hike, I bought an AM/FM radio in Damascus. Really liked having it. I listened to the radio theater version of the early StarWars stories on PBS. Back when Luke Sky-walker was a teenager on his uncles farm.

Tuckahoe
12-18-2009, 21:53
I actually finally broke down and bought an MP3 player recently -- a Philips GoGear Vibe at Walmart. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=13028059.

It's easy to use, and does have a FM tuner. Probably come in at just a couple ounces. Lyle I dont know if there are any that use anything like AA batteries. All of the ones that I looked at have an internal rechargeable battery and recharge from the computer through a USB port. This one has a 25 hour battery life playing music.

Anyone looking to use this MP3 player on a thru would have to consider the need to access a computer to recharge it. But it fits my needs just fine.

SunnyWalker
12-18-2009, 21:55
If you wish to purchase an MP3 that uses AAA or AA batts you better get one soon. They are a dying breed as they are all moving to internal rechargable batts. However the new sony Walking has a lot of mem for a MP3 (you can drop and drag) radio and uve32-42 hrs., of batt life. Pretty good.

SunnyWalker
12-18-2009, 21:56
That was Sony Walkman. Sorry.

white_russian
12-18-2009, 22:03
Ipods are a ripoff. Plenty of cheap mp3 players out there. FM radio is a big plus that ipods lack. Expandable memory is another great feature that ipods lack.

BrianLe
12-18-2009, 22:13
Focus indeed on a unit that uses a replaceable battery, ideally a single AAA battery. Might look for used units if it's true that they're becoming less common; I guess I'd better take care of mine! (a Creative MuVo v100).

Lyle
12-18-2009, 22:16
Well, if you have to go with proprietary batteries, guess you have to, but I would still get one with a tuner. Never have understood why Sony refuses to offer this. It's a deal breaker for me.

Bulldawg
12-18-2009, 22:18
As far as I can see, WalMart does not offer one single MP3 that takes batteries. I have an older MP3 that takes ONE AA battery. I stick a zip drive up inside of it that I have loaded music on. Not having a FM tuner sucks too. It's almost 2 or 3 years old I guess.

white_russian
12-18-2009, 22:35
Well, if you have to go with proprietary batteries, guess you have to, but I would still get one with a tuner. Never have understood why Sony refuses to offer this. It's a deal breaker for me.
and if you have to go with proprietary batteries try and get one without a proprietary cable so there is one less thing in your pack. If you can get a camera, cell phone, and mp3 player all using the same micro USB charging all the better.

Tagless
12-18-2009, 22:41
For the last 1500 miles of our thru hike, my wife and I each carried an iPod Nano. This worked out very well. Between us, we had access to 21 books on tape, numerous hiking (and other) podcasts, family pictures, and well over 3500 songs - all of which we enjoyed very much.

The new Nano, weighing 1.3 ounces (plus electrical recharge plug), have very sufficient battery life - up to 24 hours audio. We never ran out of power - recharging as we moved through towns and hostels up the trail. We were selective about listening to our Nanos, using them to pass time for a couple of hours on many long hiking days.

The Nano that Apple recently released comes with FM radio and a video camera. Based on our experience, the iPod Nano is well worth checking out.

le loupe
12-18-2009, 23:06
I bought the Sansa by Sandisk. It also includes FM radio which came in handy during the World Series

Compass
12-18-2009, 23:27
I use a SanDisk Sansa m240 - Digital player - flash 1 GB - WMA, MP3 with FM tuner and uses a AAA battery. Found here:
http://shopping.aol.com/sandisk-sansa-m240-digital-player-flash-1-gb-wma-mp3-silver/91762050?refCode=aolpartner_beaconrecom_search
Can listen to songs all night for 3 nights or FM radio for almost two full nights on a battery if the battery is warm(keep in my bag or pocket when listening). If the battery is cold about half the play time. Never tried a lithium.

paintplongo
12-19-2009, 03:13
I really recommend that you do not bring an MP3 player of any kind of the trail. I had one with me this year and regretted carrying it, because when I listened to it, time flew by and I didn't have a chance to think about what I was doing. I ended up just passing days by and not enjoying it as much as I would have.

Tuckahoe
12-19-2009, 03:30
I am sorry, but that is just plain silly.

Zoooma
12-19-2009, 17:20
I really recommend that you do not bring an MP3 player of any kind of the trail. I had one with me this year and regretted carrying it, because when I listened to it, time flew by and I didn't have a chance to think about what I was doing. I ended up just passing days by and not enjoying it as much as I would have.

I really look forward to bringing a TON of music with me on the trail. If it's not your thing then that's cool. For other people, it helps pass the time plus music can make certain experiences more fun/enjoyable.

I'd say stay away from ipod. Why? Be unique and get an mp3 player that's not an Apple. Okay, that's not necessarily unique but 9 out of 10 people have an ipod and falling in line like that is not my thing. If it's your thing then go for it.

Also, I'm going to get a solar charger and test that out. Something like this (http://www.rei.com/product/799010). The ultralighter would scoff at such weight but for me it might be as "crucial" as clothing. Ain't no way I'm gonna hike the AT without tunes everyday!

Happy Listening!

Compass
12-19-2009, 17:42

Everbody can HYOH but I love to be in touch with my environment and a MP3 player seems to seperate me. If it were just an endurance event that I was trying to get through then maybe. I listen at night going to sleep and when I wake up and it is still dark and to early to get moving.

Rockskar
12-19-2009, 18:08
I just used my iphone. The reception was spotty, but it was nice to have a phone, GPS, e-mailer, camera, internet, medical emergency data book, and whatever else you want to put on it. To extend the charge, I had a Kensington rechargeable batter I plugged into the iPod port to provide a complete charge or more of the battery. When I resupplied, I would recharge the phone and battery. The iPhone speakers allowed me to share music. Technology is not evil. Listening to music in not evil. Many start without an MP3 player, but most end with one.

J5man
12-19-2009, 18:12
I take an ipod Nano and only use it at night to help me fall asleep. It weighs nothing and you can put whatever you want on it. Downside; no radio.

paintplongo
12-19-2009, 18:38
HYOY is true, but I'm just telling you that most of my friends from the 2009 Thrus, didn't like having one with them because it detached them from the wilderness. Just OUR opinion.

If you were going to use one, I'd recommend a Sony Walkman. Cheap as hell, radio, and superb battery life at 50 hours per charge. If you need one, I'll be happy to sell you mine as I won't be using it anymore when I hike.

BrianLe
12-19-2009, 18:47
Zoooma mentioned a solar charger; a similar unit was worth carrying in 2008 on the PCT for me in California and part of Oregon, but north of there I found it not worth the weight, and from what I've read and heard of the AT, I don't plan to bring one at all for that trip. YMMV, but unless there's both clear sky and relatively few trees, I don't think it would be worth the weight.

What I'll do for my smartphone is switch to extended batteries, and for my (separate) MP3 player I'll just carry a single spare AAA battery, easily replaceable in trail towns.

One thing I don't think has been mentioned on this particular MP3-related thread is the issue of taking audio books along, and in particular the issue of DRM (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_rights_management). In some quick/basic research last year it seemed to me that unless you buy audio books on CD and rip them yourself, most places that sell audio book content only function on a small set of devices that they recognize as having DRM. A good example is audible.com (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.audible.com).

My point here is that if you're considering getting audio book content from such a source, make sure that your device will work with their service before buying it.

Walkie Talkie
12-19-2009, 19:17
I carry 2 ipods and that way I have double battery life. They are cheap on ebay now that gen 5 came out. If you don't like to listen to music on the trail I promise you won't hear mine.

karoberts
12-19-2009, 20:56
I think the iaudio 7 is the best trail mp3. It has a 60 hour battery life, weighs only 3 ounces, has 16 gig of flash memory, has no proprietary cords or software, has an FM radio, plays all audio and video file types, is water resistant, and is pretty cheap.

Zoooma
12-22-2009, 04:11
If you were going to use one, I'd recommend a Sony Walkman. Cheap as hell, radio, and superb battery life at 50 hours per charge.

Cassettes or CDs? That seriously limits your choice of what you have to listen to.

Meanwhile, thousands of hours of mp3 music or books on tape or sermons or what-have-you = 0 grams.

Weight of an mp3 player + solar charger = less than or equal to a Walkman plus no additional weight for what you listen to.

I think the iaudio 7 is the best trail mp3. It has a 60 hour battery life, weighs only 3 ounces, has 16 gig of flash memory, has no proprietary cords or software, has an FM radio, plays all audio and video file types, is water resistant, and is pretty cheap.

Thanks for mentioning this. 16 GB is tiny now-a-days, especially if using 320 kbps mp3 files . . . I'm not sure if that'd work for me for a straight thru thru-hike but I'm sure that player would be perfect for some people. Then again, additional flash memory cards could be made up and included in resupply boxes. Hmmm.....

Zoooma
12-22-2009, 04:20
(hmm, i guess you can't edit your own posts?)

The iaudio 7 (http://www.jetaudio.com/products/iaudio/7/) doesn't do external memory but it still looks like a great player!

Rain Man
12-22-2009, 11:14
(hmm, i guess you can't edit your own posts?)

Sure you can, if you ante up and support the site you are using. Become a "Donating Member," in other words.

Rain:sunMan

Sly
12-22-2009, 12:43
HYOY is true, but I'm just telling you that most of my friends from the 2009 Thrus, didn't like having one with them because it detached them from the wilderness. Just OUR opinion.

There's always the option of sending it home. Not that I listened 24/7 but on many occasions, I found music great for climbs and rocking out on ridgetops.

Ladytrekker
12-22-2009, 13:52
I have the Sony with fm tuner and so far been happy with it. I am a die hard season ticket holder Florida Gator fan so on away games I am usually kayaking or hiking and my player goes with me, so far I have been able to get the Gator games in deep woods. I actually one night laid in my tent without the fly watched shooting stars and listened to the entire game. Life was good that day. Get one with changeable batteries.

BrianLe
12-22-2009, 15:17
"Sure you can, if you ante up and support the site you are using. Become a "Donating Member," in other words."
A warning about this. When I decided to donate, I was put off by the implication that it would be an automatically recurring donation, to include this text: "Validity periods marked * indicate that purchasing this subscription is recurring, this means after the period is complete it will automatically be renewed."

ATTroll sent me a nice note in reply to my snail-mailed donation to the effect, if I recall correctly, that in fact there's no automatic renewal, but I note that text is still there for whatever reason. Anyway, snail-mailing the money didn't get me the ability to edit my posts, but no big deal --- not a bad idea to read over your text once before posting it anyway, eh?

Heater
12-22-2009, 15:24
The iAT. heh heh...

Zoooma
12-23-2009, 03:13
not a bad idea to read over your text once before posting it anyway, eh?

Totally, eh, but sometimes a person, after clicking Submit, might wanna add something or realize they made a mistake. It's good to be able to go back and edit. Never happened to ya, after clicking Submit? Never once? No? Not even a single time? Nope? Well, you understand, eh?

mudhead
12-23-2009, 08:34
Anyway, snail-mailing the money didn't get me the ability to edit my posts, but no big deal --- not a bad idea to read over your text once before posting it anyway, eh?

I do the snail mail. You might have to nag (remind:) but my word for the day is nag.) him with a PM.

BrianLe
12-23-2009, 13:07
I think the issue is that I didn't include my whiteblaze user name when I mailed it in, so I guess an FYI there. No big deal; I'll start on the trail in about 9 weeks anyway! :-)