PDA

View Full Version : which way do i go, which way do i go ?

Megapixel
12-18-2009, 21:57
Thanks to all the whiteblaze members who have lent me assistance so far on this journey:sun

It appears after much deliberation that if we start our through hike this coming year somewhere around June15th-July1st, it may be doable with a job when i return. (originally i was looking at relying on some back up funds until i found work again).
I am not sure the wife will want to put up with the black flies if they are really that bad doing a southbound...how bad are they? Are there other options that would work with this departure date, such as a flip-flop...and could someone explain the advantages disadvantages of a flip flop hike?

I know we would like to avoid major bug infestations for weeks at a time, and to limit the summer heat as much as possible, another reason the southbound hike seems a bit more appealing. Mostly though, the AT is the AT and we are excited by the opportunity become a reality so quickly no matter the direction, especially with jobs waiting on the other side!!!:banana

Also, if you'd rather point me to some previous posts on this same question, i'd be glad to read up.... apparently my searching skills are not bringing anything great up.

white_russian
12-18-2009, 22:27
If you use 100% Deet and carry a head-net the bugs are easily manageable. They even make bug net pants and jackets that are great for sitting around camp.

ShelterLeopard
12-18-2009, 22:55
But spray the deet on your clothes and head net, not on your skin. (Well, I don't know if it's been proven, but it seems to me that it must be really bad to spray a lot of that directly on your skin) And a friend of mine swears by garlic pills for mosquitos, but they'll do nothing for the flies. Good luck.

white_russian
12-18-2009, 23:08
But spray the deet on your clothes and head net, not on your skin. (Well, I don't know if it's been proven, but it seems to me that it must be really bad to spray a lot of that directly on your skin) And a friend of mine swears by garlic pills for mosquitos, but they'll do nothing for the flies. Good luck.
You use permethrin for you clothes. I don't see any reason to do it to your head-net though.

Yeah, deet can make you crazy if you use too much, but so will the bugs. Lesser of two evils kind of situation.

Many Walks
12-18-2009, 23:14
Be selective with what clothes and gear you put it on. Deet eats polyester.

Many Walks
12-18-2009, 23:54
Thanks to all the whiteblaze members who have lent me assistance so far on this journey:sun

It appears after much deliberation that if we start our through hike this coming year somewhere around June15th-July1st, it may be doable with a job when i return. (originally i was looking at relying on some back up funds until i found work again).
I am not sure the wife will want to put up with the black flies if they are really that bad doing a southbound...how bad are they? Are there other options that would work with this departure date, such as a flip-flop...and could someone explain the advantages disadvantages of a flip flop hike?

I know we would like to avoid major bug infestations for weeks at a time, and to limit the summer heat as much as possible, another reason the southbound hike seems a bit more appealing. Mostly though, the AT is the AT and we are excited by the opportunity become a reality so quickly no matter the direction, especially with jobs waiting on the other side!!!:banana

Also, if you'd rather point me to some previous posts on this same question, i'd be glad to read up.... apparently my searching skills are not bringing anything great up.
If you start about July 1, a flip flop would be a good option to do the entire trail and avoid the worst of the heat and Blackflies. You can begin at Springer and hike to Damascus (460 mi from Springer) in about a month depending on your hiking speed and zero days taken. It will be getting warm, but there is a lot of cover and shade in the South. From Damascus you can jump to Maine and head South. Mosquitoes, Blackflies and Deer flies are all nasty little creatures. I believe the worst of the Blackflies in Maine are in late June/July so with this plan the later you start the more flies you'll avoid. You'll miss the swarms, but you'll still see plenty of them. The downside is finishing in Damascus wouldn't be as monumental as Springer or Katahdin, but it is a nice little town to be in twice. Just a thought. Enjoy your hike!

ShelterLeopard
12-19-2009, 00:59
Good call Many Walks- also it'll do weird jazz to anything with ink on it (not in it), like mustard packets. If they look red and shiny, but get any deet on 'em, the red will slide off and get all over your pack.

Megapixel
12-19-2009, 06:27
thanks. great info here many walks and shelter lepoard

Marta
12-19-2009, 07:52
I started July 3, 2006, and didn't have that much trouble with black flies. There were occasional places where the mosquitoes would have carried me off, but the headnet and Deet worked. I also had a suit of Montane shell garments, which were great at keeping mosquitoes off on cooler days. (The shell clothing turns into a sauna suit when the weather turns warm.)

I had a special bandana that was the Deet bandana. I'd spray it lightly, then wrap it around my hair.

Personally, in July I'd much, much, much rather be hiking in Maine than in Georgia.

Tinker
12-19-2009, 09:36

I hope to be fit enough to do a thru after I retire, and I've had plenty of time to think about how I'd like to do it. Being one who enjoys solitude more than the company of fellow hikers I'll probably do a sobo (I've already been to both terminii so finishing at Katahdin isn't an issue to me).
Considering y

Tinker
12-19-2009, 09:39
Let me finish: considering your schedule you have the option to do an inside out flip, where you could start at Damascus, hike to Springer, then hike from Damascus to Katahdin if you have the time, or Damascus to Katahdin then Damascus to Springer if time gets tight.

Tinker
12-19-2009, 09:41
I haven't donated recently, so I can't edit my posts, so here's another tip: Blackflies are every bit as bad as Northerners make them out to be. They don't drill you like mosquitoes do, they actually take a small chunk of flesh out of you. I once had a bite become infected (it was on my thumb). Not pleasant at all.

white_russian
12-19-2009, 10:07
I have hiked in Maine twice in July, but never any time else so don't know any better. I don't know why people would want to flip flop with that start date. Maine is beautiful in July, full of life and the bugs are just a result of that. There is water all around you, ripe for playing or relaxing and the temperature is good for it. Then hiking through Maine in July one would hit the Whites in August so you are there at the warmest, but not necessarily warm, month. If you hit a good stretch in the Whites in a warm month like August it is amazing. I did just that and walked along most of the presidentials in a short sleeve shirt. ME and NH are great summer playgrounds.

Megapixel
12-19-2009, 12:46
Thanks all. think with this info we will be aiming for a Southbound hike, with a departure of late june to no later than july 3. Thx. all again!

mudhead
12-19-2009, 13:07
You know how you don't sit next to the window screen with a lamp on in SW FL? Same with blackflies. You just plan on and prepare for them. They calm down alot the third week in June.

Search the forums for "blackflies." Lots of ways to survive them.

They only want some blood anyway.:)

Pickleodeon
12-19-2009, 23:41
I experienced the black flies a little, they're annoying and their bits bleed a little, I went nobo. Either way you'll have bugs, we had days of horrible horrible mosquitos in Mass mostly. Seems like you've made your decision as to which way you're going, and either way will be an awesome experience.

Don't forget your DEET though for the really bad days. I was originally anti-deet because it's said to be bad for you, but the stuff really really works, and it's the only thing that really really works. I'd rather the effects than the immediate insanity, although I may regret that if my limbs start falling off or something. :)

Megapixel
12-20-2009, 00:46
You know how you don't sit next to the window screen with a lamp on in SW FL? Same with blackflies. You just plan on and prepare for them. They calm down alot the third week in June.

Search the forums for "blackflies." Lots of ways to survive them.

They only want some blood anyway.:)

Great visual mudhead ! Understood.

Snowleopard
12-20-2009, 11:59
Blackflies: Use permethrin on your clothes and headnet; don't use permethrin on your skin. Headnets are annoying, but they weigh nothing and are necessary for when the bugs are bad. Use DEET on exposed skin. DEET will dissolve many synthetic fabrics and plastics; don't get it on your camera/mp3 player/clothes. The good news is that black flies don't carry diseases.

Deer ticks/Lyme disease: You might spray your shoes and tops of your socks with permethrin. The usual recommendation is to tuck your long pants into your socks and inspect for ticks daily.

Last summer, when in the woods I used a buzzoff cap with cape similar to this http://www.goinginstyle.com/ExOfficio-Buzz-Off-Hat-P3664.aspx When the bugs were bad I wore the cape down. I also wear light nylon long pants and long sleeve shirt treated with permethrin; they're light enough that some mosquitos will penetrate but the permethrin stops them. With this setup I didn't use DEET at all, but it wasn't a bad bug summer here.

In a good year you might miss the blackflies and not get too many mosquitos. In a bad year the blackflies are truly bad. With your starting date the odds should be with you.

Some people carry a tent just for the bugs. Having some sort of mosquito netting might be good even if you're staying in shelters.

vonfrick
12-20-2009, 12:29
we'll be on the trail same time as you. 4th year in a row for both of us hiking in new england. if you wear a head net we will make fun of you- just sayin. i teach and have started out every year same time as you are planning to and have never had any problem with blackflies- it's a myth perpetuated by us new englanders to keep the riff raff out of our woods :p.

now the mosquitos are another story altogether. permethrin your clothes, available at walmart as permanone, and buy 100% deet and be prepared to slather yourself with it if need be. they especially like to bite you behind your ears. i bring/maildrop one bottle for each of us per week out. this is usually overkill for us personally because it has done nothing but rain continually on me for 3 summers, but when it does stop raining and the bugs come out, we have enough to lend to the folks who were too scaredy to use it (as above) and are virtually ready to gouge their own eyes out and go home.