PDA

View Full Version : Springer to Neels gap in early February.

gregp
12-19-2009, 11:25
Hey all,

I had to cancel an earlier attempt at this section this year due to work and am now looking at the first week of February to give this a go. I have a few questions and was hoping I might find some answers here.

First of all, I'm still a little unsure of where to park my car at Neels and how that works. I talked to lady at Mountain Crossings and she told me of a place to park close by. She also gave me Cool Breeze's phone # for a shuttle. Does this sound like the best plan? To leave my car at Neels, shuttle to springer and hike back? Will my car be safe there?

Second, I've been reading a lot here about Blood mountain and it seems to have a fairly technical descent. Will this be doable if covered in ice and snow? Should I buy crampons or yaktrax for this?

Am I completely retarded to try this section in the middle of winter? :-?

Any other tidbits, words of wisdom, and advice are also welcome so feel free. :D

Thanks in advance!

Skidsteer
12-19-2009, 12:01
First of all, I'm still a little unsure of where to park my car at Neels and how that works. I talked to lady at Mountain Crossings and she told me of a place to park close by.

1/2 mile North of MXing's on the left. Byron Reese parking lot and trailhead.

She also gave me Cool Breeze's phone # for a shuttle. Does this sound like the best plan? To leave my car at Neels, shuttle to springer and hike back? Will my car be safe there?

Never had a problem there. Cool Breeze is a good choice for a shuttle.

Second, I've been reading a lot here about Blood mountain and it seems to have a fairly technical descent. Will this be doable if covered in ice and snow? Should I buy crampons or yaktrax for this?

I wouldn't. It doesn't come close to being "technical"

Am I completely retarded to try this section in the middle of winter? :-?

No, have fun. Heck, it might be 70 degrees. You just never know.

Elder
12-19-2009, 12:20
:sun ...might be 70?
:eek: might be 17..
If you get iced over. stay in camp until late morning/early afternoon. It usually melts away.
and it is better than busting your..er..gear?

Should be a great time.

The parking is usually safe and Cool Breeze can do the shuttle.

gregp
12-19-2009, 16:48
Thanks guys! Just making sure the plan is a good one.

:sun ...might be 70?
:eek: might be 17..
If you get iced over. stay in camp until late morning/early afternoon. It usually melts away.
and it is better than busting your..er..gear?

I'll definitely keep that in mind Elder. Climbing down icy rocks sounds like a recipe for disaster with me involved...:D