PDA

View Full Version : rain gear for a kilted lady

Chatzi
12-19-2009, 21:28
Hey guys, yet another question... I plan on doing my AT thru hike in a kilt... and I'm wondering what to bring regarding rain gear. I'll have a kilt and some wool leggings to wear while it's still chilly in April (I'm starting end of March), but what to do for rain? I know rain kilts exist, and that sounds great, but if it's raining AND cold, do you guys think it would be better to carry some rain paints to throw over my wool leggings? I'd rather just bring a rain skirt for the packability and light weight factor, but I also don't want to be miserable and freezing... what a dilemma!

vonfrick
12-19-2009, 21:54
i hike in a skirt i had sewn to my design, quick dry fabric that still provides some warmth when wet. i do carry rain pants but just slide them on if i get cold when i stop for lunch or if it happens to be real windy and raining "sideways" :eek: while up high, you know, the kind of rain that stings when it hits you. ntm hail is always fun. the skirt gets wet but my legs stay dry under it with the pants on.

i'm not real sure how cold it gets in april starting nobo, but i've been comfortable in new england 3 summers in a row on the LT and AT. we've had nothing but rain for weeks on end and i find it's sometimes just easier to get wet than try to fight it and end up carrying extra wet clothes. i usually sleep in the skirt and it dries by morning from body heat.

here's hoping my 500 miles in 2010 is a little drier :sun

Takijeep
12-19-2009, 22:38
Howdy Chatzi Just fyi a woman wearing a kilt is crossdressing:eek: so what ! I hope those "wool leggings" are Merino or watch out for chafing> I have been wearing a kilt for most of my longer day hikes and as the weather got cold (I'm in Ct ) I started wearing mens running tights, mens cause I'm a guy! These things have thin polafleece inside and a windstoping shell, I cut the tag off so I cant remember the brand! Happy Hiking!!:)

Blissful
12-19-2009, 23:56
I hated hiking in rain pants myself, but I might if the weather is cold enough.

vonfrick
12-20-2009, 00:09
I hated hiking in rain pants myself, but I might if the weather is cold enough.

agreed, i bring them mostly for wind/cold

The General
12-20-2009, 00:11
Forgive me Ladies for intruding on your forum, however as Kilts were originally a fashion for Highland men and of course still are, there is some scope for leeway here. I hiked a fair bit with a number of male and female kilt wearers in 2004 and 2008 and though I have not felt the urge to cross dress myself here are my observations for what they are worth. When it rained most folks removed the kilt and either wore shorts or rain pants then changed once the weather improved. If its just cold then unlike the Scots you may be permitted to wear under garments and rain pants when wet. I never saw anyone wearing rain pant and a kilt together though. I guess it's like everything else on the trail it will come down to what suits you best.

Mr. Clean
12-20-2009, 06:24
I've worn the Packa on overnights, but the bottom edge of my Sport kilt did get soggy. It was still wettish the next morning, but dry by noontime. The kilt gets heavy when wet, though, and i had to make sure it was really cinched up.

1dianebaker
12-20-2009, 17:32
Hello there,
I created a rainskirt from an old raincoat which has been great for hiking & camping. Craftzine published my instructions:
http://blog.craftzine.com/archive/2009/10/how-to_rain_skirt.html
Enjoy!
Diane

scooterdogma
12-22-2009, 08:01
Try a hefty cinch strap bag. cut out the bottom, covers to around the knees, super light weight. Great conversation starter for the people you meet along the trail.

Doctari
12-22-2009, 10:09
Try a hefty cinch strap bag. cut out the bottom, covers to around the knees, super light weight. Great conversation starter for the people you meet along the trail.

I carry one, haven't used it yet. My kilt is acrylic, & doesn't really hold water, so I haven't taken the time to put the rain kilt on in "real life", but in dry weather tests at home, It was barely noticeable. Mine is cut to hang about 1" - 2" below the hem of my kilt. The Cinch straps make an OK "belt", at least for short term use (1 - 2 hrs is my best guess, but only a guess).
I think another reason I don't use it is the rain kilt is so stark WHITE. :eek:

AzWildflower
01-01-2010, 16:31
I bought the fabric for a hiking skirt (on sale at joannes) and a Simplicity pattern for .99. I haven't made it yet. I will add pockets, raise the hem, eliminate the back zipper, and add a cinch waist.

I have made a rain/wind skirt that I can also use as a ground cloth if I need to go to ground with my hammock or use in a shelter. I have tried out this rain skirt in some real rain with cotton pants underneath and seems to provide adequate rain protection. Lighter weight than my rain pants and dual purpose.

Doctari
01-01-2010, 17:56
Oh, I just remembered to post this: If you are going to do long distance hiking, make the waistband VERY adjustable. On my last 20 day hike I lost 4" of waist size*. Granted; I'm old & fat, & 4" was the proverbial "Drop in the bucket" as in I went from a 47" waist to a 43". My kilt is only adjustable 45 - 47", Had to keep the belt on full time, when walking, by day 15. :o

One of the reasons I like the garbage bag with the cinch thingy, it is nearly infinitely adjustable around the waist. Still don't like the color.

*and 22 lbs. :D