PDA

View Full Version : Outfitters at springer mtn.

Longbow
12-20-2009, 11:32
Is there a good outfitter near springer mtn. I am going to need some last minute items for my winter hike.

Chaco Taco
12-20-2009, 11:36
Is there a good outfitter near springer mtn. I am going to need some last minute items for my winter hike.

Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap

Bulldawg
12-20-2009, 13:02
Mountain Crossing at Neel Gap

Wise post my young padawan learner.

bigmac_in
12-20-2009, 15:17
Wise post my young padawan learner.

Nerd. :D

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Spokes
12-20-2009, 15:37
Have Winton do a shakedown of your pack while your there!

Spokes
12-20-2009, 15:38
Have Winton do a shakedown of your pack while your there!

I mean .....while "you're" there!

Bulldawg
12-20-2009, 15:44
Nerd. :D

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

Who hikes at a "hiker" party??? Hello pot, I'm kettle.

http://theinsanityreport.com/images/pot_kettle.jpg

volleypc
12-20-2009, 15:54

Mountain Crossings is great, but their resupply food prices are pretty high. I am sure this has to do with their remote location, but if you are trying to be savy, make sure you have your food/snacks purchased first.

SGT Rock
12-20-2009, 15:57
You could also mail a resupply there. They accept drops.

So before you leave home, mail yourself a re-supply of food. Then go there before you get on the AT and have them look at your load if you are so inclined (some of us don't) and then hike 3 days on the AT to end up back here and see if what they told you is working plus pick up your food and get some ice cream.

Bulldawg
12-20-2009, 16:04
Mountain Crossings is great, but their resupply food prices are pretty high. I am sure this has to do with their remote location, but if you are trying to be savy, make sure you have your food/snacks purchased first.

I think they are fairly reasonable considering there is no hitch or walking involved to get there. I would not call their location "remote" either, it is only 10 or 11 miles to the large town of Blairsville. But considering you do not have to burn off trail miles or time to get there, I would say in the big picture, their prices are right on target. Also consider the expertise you can get there. The kind of knowledge attainable there is only attainable at a few places on the entire trail, and attainable no where else actually ON the trail.

white_russian
12-20-2009, 16:21
I think they are fairly reasonable considering there is no hitch or walking involved to get there. I would not call their location "remote" either, it is only 10 or 11 miles to the large town of Blairsville. But considering you do not have to burn off trail miles or time to get there, I would say in the big picture, their prices are right on target. Also consider the expertise you can get there. The kind of knowledge attainable there is only attainable at a few places on the entire trail, and attainable no where else actually ON the trail.
Prices are fair considering who they are, but you can't deny they are some of the most expensive out there.

Bulldawg
12-20-2009, 16:33
Prices are fair considering who they are, but you can't deny they are some of the most expensive out there.

I will say again, show me another outfitter, RIGHT ON THE TRAIL, with no hitch or road walk involved; that beats their prices? You are not comparing apples to apples. I don't mind paying $1.99 for Pringles for example when I can get them RIGHT ON THE TRAIL. So what if they are $.70 more than in town. For me anyway, hitching the 10 miles to town, wasting hours doing that; is not worth the SMALL savings you encounter. And ya know what, if you spend the night in the hostel, you are going to get to go to town anyway. Not much better people on the trail IMO than Winton and his folks. YMMV depending on your attitude though.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Schuetzen
12-20-2009, 16:49
I live 10 miles from the closest town, 1 grocery store and the prices and selection are not what you find in the city. It is worth it to live in the country, if you expect the city prices and selection in small towns anywhere GOOD LUCK.