PDA

View Full Version : How far to go for 10 days?

artbango
12-20-2009, 13:03
Been lurking here and found it thru Backpacking.net. I want to do a fair weather hike starting at the approach trail NOBO and hike for 10 days. I won't be in any hurry but was wondering about a good stopping off point to be able to get public transportation out at the end. If it means a shorter trip I can do less miles or just lollygag for a day???? I want to start after the glut of thru hikers are miles down the trail. May or early June. I did want to hike to Clingmans dome but that would take???? more time than I will have. Any info, advice or comments will be welcome. BTW with my gear on mostly flat trails I can do 12-14 mpd easily. I regulary do 10 mi in less than 3 hrs. But I don't plan to push 10 days so H E L P....

Lyle
12-20-2009, 13:41
Welcome.

My suggestion would be to plan for Franklin. That would be about 114 miles from Amicalola give or take if you include the Approach trail. I don't think there is any public transportation, maybe a bus, but there are plenty of shuttle providers. For more detailed help, send a private message to Ron Haven. He owns a couple of VERY hiker friendly motels in Franklin, and is a very good source of all things relating to hiker services. He posts here on WhiteBlaze regularly.

Good Luck and HAVE FUN!!!

Lone Wolf
12-20-2009, 13:48
go to franklin

Kerosene
12-20-2009, 20:01
Another vote for Franklin.

artbango
12-20-2009, 21:14
Thanks for the info. Franklin it is.

Cookerhiker
12-20-2009, 21:16
The right choice! Have a good hike.

generoll
12-20-2009, 22:05
Hiawassee. More time for lollygagging, and the same absence of public transportation.

IceAge
12-21-2009, 13:38
Has anyone recommended Franklin yet?

Chicken Feathers
12-22-2009, 17:36
I think Franklin would be a good choice. If you need shuttle contact Ron Haven. Have fun :banana

Blissful
12-22-2009, 21:07
Raise your hand if you want Franklin...

:)

Have a good hike.

JoshStover
12-22-2009, 21:41
I'd go with Franklin as well. Enjoy yourself and maybe we will cross paths someday...

Ox97GaMe
12-23-2009, 00:48
I agree that Franklin is a reasonable destination, but you may end up only going to Hiawassee. Or you may have to consider coming down Kimsey Creek into Standing Indian campground to finish your hike.

Most thru hikers are getting to Hiawassee on day 6 or 7. you will likely lose a full day (at least half) there trying to resupply and to rest up a bit. From there, it is 4 or 5 days to Franklin.

The distance is manageable in 10 days. You will have a good idea by the time you get to Unicoi Gap (approx half way) whether Franlklin is still reasonable or not.

If you get the chance, plan on stays at Neels Gap hostel and Blueberry Patch hostel.

I also recommend contacting Ron Haven in Franklin to set up your transportation needs after the trail if you get that far. If you only get to Hiawassee, Gary at Blueberry Patch can assist with transportation information.