PDA

View Full Version : Right fit backpack

wicca32
12-20-2009, 17:48
:oHello, my name is Wicca. I am new to long hikes (mostly done day hiking). I'm having a hard time finding a pack that 1. fits properly 2. is big enough 3. has room for tent/bag. I'm only 4'11" tall, most packs I've tried so far are to tall, won't let my head lean back as usual. Ones I've seen online that are for smaller torsos, don't have bag/tent space. Any & all suggestions would be great, thank you. BTW my daughter & I plan to section hike the AT starting 2011.

grayfox
12-20-2009, 21:38
Wicca, I am sure there are lots of folks here ready to chime in with suggestions. We do need more info though. What is your actual torso measurement, ultralight or traditional choices, will you ever hike solo? Do you need a whole kit or just a new pack? What have you tried on so far?

wicca32
12-20-2009, 21:55
Wicca, I am sure there are lots of folks here ready to chime in with suggestions. We do need more info though. What is your actual torso measurement, ultralight or traditional choices, will you ever hike solo? Do you need a whole kit or just a new pack? What have you tried on so far?
Sorry, torso measurement is 18". Hiking with my 19 yr. old daughter. Need everything, lol. I live in rural oklahoma, no outfitters here, Have gone to Bass Pro in OKC, tried on several "woman" packs, all we're to long. Hope this helps.Thanks :confused:

skinewmexico
12-20-2009, 22:22
Wow, that's a long torso measurement. You could use most men's mediums. Anyway.........I'd look at ULA or Gossamer Gear.

grayfox
12-20-2009, 22:43
With an 18" torso, which usually is within the medium size range, you should be able to use many of the light packs that are popular with people here so when you see something you like online you can ask about it and someone will have some experience. Since you need most of your equipment, which you should gather befor you buy a pack, you will be able to buy light and compact things to start with. You will probably need a pack that is about 3500cu. in. give or take. Remember that there are usually several torso length choices for each pack and it is not always easy to find the little size tag on the pack. Even a "woman specific" pack might be too long or short. You might want to look at packs that are adjustale and have changeable belts and shoulder straps--Deuter ACT, REI ridgeline, Osprey exos, Granite Gear. The choice of lighter or heavier hinges on how much of a frame you are comfortable with. More frame is more weight but some find it a good trade off.

As to gear-less is more. There is an article here about what to leave behind-good advice. You will find that you do not need near as much stuff as you think. Go for simple when you have a choice.

wicca32
12-20-2009, 23:15
thank you so much for your advice, I'll look into those packs. Did find an REI store in Plano, Tx.....may take a trip down there.

Blissful
12-20-2009, 23:30
Check out articles and forums here about gear. Likely if you have the time and $$ you can pair down your gear to fit into smaller sized packs (ex - down bags compress more, tarptents can be smaller and lighter weight, change your stove, etc). Does take some time though and shopping around for deals.

Blissful
12-20-2009, 23:31
Also, you should get your other gear first, then buy the pack last. I'd wait on the pack, personally.

wicca32
12-20-2009, 23:34
Also, you should get your other gear first, then buy the pack last. I'd wait on the pack, personally.

Thx! Great idea.

Schuetzen
12-21-2009, 09:30
Wicca:

The Plano REI in Plano is a nice store and I have bought a lot of stuff there (my kids and grandchildren live very close to it) but the Dallas store is a larger store and generality has a better selection. It is only about 5 miles further but is easier to get to from either I-35 or Hwy 75, it is between them on Loop 635 on the north side of Dallas.

If you are going to make a trip you might also want to go by Backwoods in Ft. Worth. Tim the manager there knows how to fit you for a pack, something which may be missing at REI. Just be sure to call to be sure he will be there when you plan to be there.

wicca32
12-21-2009, 10:35
Wicca:

The Plano REI in Plano is a nice store and I have bought a lot of stuff there (my kids and grandchildren live very close to it) but the Dallas store is a larger store and generality has a better selection. It is only about 5 miles further but is easier to get to from either I-35 or Hwy 75, it is between them on Loop 635 on the north side of Dallas.

If you are going to make a trip you might also want to go by Backwoods in Ft. Worth. Tim the manager there knows how to fit you for a pack, something which may be missing at REI. Just be sure to call to be sure he will be there when you plan to be there.

Thx a lot! You all have been great!

grayfox
12-21-2009, 22:37
I happened across this bookmark from some time ago-- http://www.drurywriting.com/keith/RMM.Backpacking.equipment.list.htm --Thought you might find it useful.

wicca32
12-26-2009, 16:32
I happened across this bookmark from some time ago-- http://www.drurywriting.com/keith/RMM.Backpacking.equipment.list.htm --Thought you might find it useful.

Wow, a lot of info there. But very useful. thank you so much
:-?

Connie
12-26-2009, 20:53
Just because you are 4'11" doesn't mean much.

The torso measurement is the primary measurement for a pack.

What everyone else said is correct. Please heed all their advice.

What so many newcomers do that buy the pack before they determined the stuff they want to put in it and purchased that stuff, is discard it. That can be an expensive lesson for someone starting out.

I would say, look for s-curve narrow shoulder straps. Look where they hit your chest with the chest strap in place.

I selected my last pack, starting with those two features.

There is a lot to decide about HYOH Hike Your Own Hike.

Not all of it can be anticipated. It is a good idea to rent some gear and make a day hike, and out-and-back overnight, up to a weekend hike to "shake out" gear options and gear choices, if you can get quality rentals. Maybe Backwoods would be up for that, if you keep the gear immaculately clean.

My ultralight backpacking information website is a good read, if somewhat didactic and exhausting. And, I am adding more.

The information and links there will lead you to websites worth looking around.

Maybe start with the "Site Map" under the panorama photo and look around what interests you.

The link is on my signature.

. . .

1Pint
12-27-2009, 23:11
Wicca -
I agree about buying the other gear before you buy the pack, but it doesn't hurt to start trying some on and start watching the sales for a good price.

If you're carrying regular (not ultralight) gear, be sure to give the Osprey women's Aura 50 a try. I think the Aura 65 is too big but I know at least one thru-hiker who switched from something to the Aura 65 and she loved it all the way to Katahdin.

I had a Gregory Diva first and ended up replacing it with the Osprey after trying it on at REI. I've hiked over 1/2 the AT with this pack and love the way it sits on my hips and the way it packs.

Good luck!
Laura/1Pint